Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFL Thread 2014 22:12 - Aug 7 with 8474 viewsC_jack

Let's get it going.

First weekend of pre season starts tonight.

28 days until the regular season kicks off with Packers @ Seahawks.

Who's your tip for the Lombardi?

How's Johnny Manziel going to do in his rookie season at the Browns?

[Post edited 7 Aug 2014 22:27]

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

NFL Thread 2014 on 19:02 - Nov 6 with 1262 viewsreddythered

NFL Thread 2014 on 18:54 - Nov 6 by Drizzy

How on earth are they utter jokes? They're fantastic.

So if the model was adopted in football then, you'd be ecstatic at a Swansea home game being moved to say Chicago, you'd be ecstatic at watching the stadium full of people wearing Man Yoo, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea shirts?

I somehow doubt that very much.

Pre-season games are one thing. Competitive games, forget it. Look at the Chiefs - given a home game up, 87% in a survey hated that decision.

It's all a pre-cursor to developing a London franchise long term. Which will fall flat on it's arse; can't see people suddenly becoming London fans.

Poll: 94th minute; Medel does Charlie Adam, causing a career ending injury. Do you..

NFL Thread 2014 on 19:50 - Nov 6 with 1247 viewsC_jack

NFL Thread 2014 on 17:45 - Nov 6 by reddythered

The Jests have exceeded my estimations

As for teams "hosting" at Wembley, it's mostly because the NFL have mandated you can only host a Super Bowl if you give up a home game for an international game.

The Wembley games are utter jokes. Real fans of the teams are the ones being shafted; lose a home game, have to stump up the cash to travel to Lndon. All to play in front of people going to games wearing shirts of teams not even in the damn games...

I can understand the sentiment, if I was a paying season ticket holder for one of these teams and lost one home game, I'd be pretty miffed. As it goes, their loss is our gain.

I don't understand how anyone who's been to any of the games can call them a joke though, always great occasions and a privilege to see elite athletes do their stuff.

NFL Thread 2014 on 22:03 - Nov 6 with 1237 viewsDrizzy

NFL Thread 2014 on 19:02 - Nov 6 by reddythered

So if the model was adopted in football then, you'd be ecstatic at a Swansea home game being moved to say Chicago, you'd be ecstatic at watching the stadium full of people wearing Man Yoo, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea shirts?

I somehow doubt that very much.

Pre-season games are one thing. Competitive games, forget it. Look at the Chiefs - given a home game up, 87% in a survey hated that decision.

It's all a pre-cursor to developing a London franchise long term. Which will fall flat on it's arse; can't see people suddenly becoming London fans.

You can't compare "soccer" to American football as the US has MLS which is growing in popularity where professional (and even International) players ply their trade. The UK's American football league is incomparable to the MLS.

NFL Europe and the coverage of the sport in this country has created a fairly solid fan-base over the last decade that the NFL wants to nurture. The International series in its current form has been a resounding success - I believe every game has sold out - so what if a survey of Chiefs fans didn't like the decision? Of course they're not going to like it. However for every p*ssed off Chiefs fan there'll be two UK-based fans delighted with the prospect of watching a real NFL game.

Geographically it's not that big a deal. The US spans a large area and teams are accustomed to travelling large distances. New York to London is 7h 15m, New York to San Francisco is 6h. I know I'm using extremes to prove a point but I don't believe transportation is an issue.

The issue of a London franchise is completely separate, one that I'm wholeheartedly against for the record, and shouldn't be used as a stick to beat the International series with. In it's current incarnation it's fantastic, irrespective of the jerseys that the crowd wears.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

NFL Thread 2014 on 22:46 - Nov 6 with 1227 viewsreddythered

NFL Thread 2014 on 22:03 - Nov 6 by Drizzy

You can't compare "soccer" to American football as the US has MLS which is growing in popularity where professional (and even International) players ply their trade. The UK's American football league is incomparable to the MLS.

NFL Europe and the coverage of the sport in this country has created a fairly solid fan-base over the last decade that the NFL wants to nurture. The International series in its current form has been a resounding success - I believe every game has sold out - so what if a survey of Chiefs fans didn't like the decision? Of course they're not going to like it. However for every p*ssed off Chiefs fan there'll be two UK-based fans delighted with the prospect of watching a real NFL game.

Geographically it's not that big a deal. The US spans a large area and teams are accustomed to travelling large distances. New York to London is 7h 15m, New York to San Francisco is 6h. I know I'm using extremes to prove a point but I don't believe transportation is an issue.

The issue of a London franchise is completely separate, one that I'm wholeheartedly against for the record, and shouldn't be used as a stick to beat the International series with. In it's current incarnation it's fantastic, irrespective of the jerseys that the crowd wears.

NFL Europe died a death. The fan base for NFL has certainly grown, not sure the recent rise can be attributed to NFL Europe - I'd suggest it's probably more down to the way the rules around the passing game have "evolved" or more accurately "devolved" to make the game more "exciting".

The fact remains teams like the Chiefs have very vocal fans - indeed, didn't the Chiefs reclaim the title of loudest crowd from Seattle recently? Losing that home game means losing that home advantge when you're filled with a crowd just clappy happy to see a game, who would go ballistic if Vernon Kay farted on camera.

Goodell has been an idiot. Telling teams they will not be allowed to host a Super Bowl if they don't give up a home game to chase the Wembley dream is gerrymandering in the extreme.

Buffalo periodically play games in Toronto, I believe - same argument in my mind. They shouldn't lose a home game. Playing in Canada makes a lot more sense than playing in England.

What next? To push internationalism further, games in Scotland? Germany? Maybe not Iraq or Afghanistan... but it's the thin end of the wedge.

Poll: 94th minute; Medel does Charlie Adam, causing a career ending injury. Do you..

NFL Thread 2014 on 16:55 - Nov 7 with 1210 viewsC_jack

Logistics is fine, if any team was to set up here, they'd play 2 games in a row on the road, and then 2 back here. Not a problem.

The only problem I envisage is that it's going to be incredibly difficult to build a true 'fanbase' for the franchise, would people pay close to £500 for 8 games? As long as they fill the stadium every week with fans of any team, then I doubt they care.

Although once they would become a part of the league, then the schedule will include a lot more of the prime teams, and that will be more than enough to fill 8 games.

NFL Thread 2014 on 12:13 - Nov 11 with 1182 viewsymaohyd

Ive had a passing interest in the NFL for years, this year though really getting into it. I've made a habit since the start of the season of recording the Monday night C4 programme and chilling out and watching it some time in the week if not on shift in peace with my daughter and wife in school/work respectively.

I prefer a highlights programme with the best bits to a full on game. One question though what are the significance of timeouts?

Cheers

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

NFL Thread 2014 on 12:47 - Nov 11 with 1172 viewsLe_Swans

NFL Thread 2014 on 12:13 - Nov 11 by ymaohyd

Ive had a passing interest in the NFL for years, this year though really getting into it. I've made a habit since the start of the season of recording the Monday night C4 programme and chilling out and watching it some time in the week if not on shift in peace with my daughter and wife in school/work respectively.

I prefer a highlights programme with the best bits to a full on game. One question though what are the significance of timeouts?

Cheers

In the main, it does what it says and stops the clock, reasons being that the game clock doesn't automatically stop after plays, only on incompletions and if the ball is taken out of bounds or for a penalty.

So for instance, if you've only got 20 seconds left on the game clock, with 3 time outs you can prolong this quite significantly as some plays may only take a few seconds, so if you catch it or run it and don't get out of bounds then you would take a timeout, often if a team has no timeouts left you sill see the QB spike the ball on a play to stop the clock also, it just gives them that little bit of extra time.

Also you'll have defending teams using time outs to try and upset the opposing teams momentum or to figure out a play they are doing.

I'm sure one of the more informed NFL fans will be along to add (hopefully not correct) some further info, as similarly to you I am a bit of a Newbie at following it fully, though last season was my first proper time.
NFL Thread 2014 on 12:54 - Nov 11 with 1170 viewsymaohyd

NFL Thread 2014 on 12:47 - Nov 11 by Le_Swans

In the main, it does what it says and stops the clock, reasons being that the game clock doesn't automatically stop after plays, only on incompletions and if the ball is taken out of bounds or for a penalty.

So for instance, if you've only got 20 seconds left on the game clock, with 3 time outs you can prolong this quite significantly as some plays may only take a few seconds, so if you catch it or run it and don't get out of bounds then you would take a timeout, often if a team has no timeouts left you sill see the QB spike the ball on a play to stop the clock also, it just gives them that little bit of extra time.

Also you'll have defending teams using time outs to try and upset the opposing teams momentum or to figure out a play they are doing.

I'm sure one of the more informed NFL fans will be along to add (hopefully not correct) some further info, as similarly to you I am a bit of a Newbie at following it fully, though last season was my first proper time.

Thanks for that.

When I've been watching the C4 highlights programme (which I'm currently doing) I couldn't quite get why the commentators were talking tactically that say, a team didn't have any time outs left. I could get that it gives a team time to gather thoughts, maybe upset the opposition etc but not that it would offer tactical opportunities.

When you say the QB spike the ball, do you mean then just throwing it out of bounds?

Login to get fewer ads

NFL Thread 2014 on 12:57 - Nov 11 with 1163 viewsLe_Swans

NFL Thread 2014 on 12:54 - Nov 11 by ymaohyd

Thanks for that.

When I've been watching the C4 highlights programme (which I'm currently doing) I couldn't quite get why the commentators were talking tactically that say, a team didn't have any time outs left. I could get that it gives a team time to gather thoughts, maybe upset the opposition etc but not that it would offer tactical opportunities.

When you say the QB spike the ball, do you mean then just throwing it out of bounds?

No, he'd just put it to the ground behind the huddle, literally spike it on the floor, often done if in field goal range, they may let the game clock run down to say 2 seconds then spike it so by the time they've hopefully completed a field goal it would leave no time on the clock for the opposition to comeback.
NFL Thread 2014 on 13:12 - Nov 11 with 1148 viewsymaohyd

NFL Thread 2014 on 12:57 - Nov 11 by Le_Swans

No, he'd just put it to the ground behind the huddle, literally spike it on the floor, often done if in field goal range, they may let the game clock run down to say 2 seconds then spike it so by the time they've hopefully completed a field goal it would leave no time on the clock for the opposition to comeback.

Yes. One of the great things about the NFL is the managing of the clock. People who aren't fans probably don't appreciate what a brilliant spectacle at times it is and the game management involved.

Remember watching a game years ago and John Elway (think he was the Broncos QB, might be embarrassingly wrong though) marching the team down field, not wanting to score too soon and throwing a TD pass with seconds to spare...brilliant.

Do you have a team? I wish I could be trendy and say I have one but can't sum up the passion to say I support anyone. For reasons that only exist in my strange psychological world I always seem to want the Cowboys, Giants, Bears, Redskins and 49'ers to lose, probably as they are seen as the mainstream teams and I always tend to support the underdog. I've been all over the States on holiday's and for that reason have a soft spot for the Saints and Cardinals. Particularly the Cardinals as I drove right up to their old stadium when in Arizona to take a look years ago (The Sun Devil Stadium) out of curiosity.

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:20 - Nov 11 with 1138 viewsLe_Swans

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:12 - Nov 11 by ymaohyd

Yes. One of the great things about the NFL is the managing of the clock. People who aren't fans probably don't appreciate what a brilliant spectacle at times it is and the game management involved.

Remember watching a game years ago and John Elway (think he was the Broncos QB, might be embarrassingly wrong though) marching the team down field, not wanting to score too soon and throwing a TD pass with seconds to spare...brilliant.

Do you have a team? I wish I could be trendy and say I have one but can't sum up the passion to say I support anyone. For reasons that only exist in my strange psychological world I always seem to want the Cowboys, Giants, Bears, Redskins and 49'ers to lose, probably as they are seen as the mainstream teams and I always tend to support the underdog. I've been all over the States on holiday's and for that reason have a soft spot for the Saints and Cardinals. Particularly the Cardinals as I drove right up to their old stadium when in Arizona to take a look years ago (The Sun Devil Stadium) out of curiosity.

There was a game, I think it was last year or the year before where they we're trying to manage the clock and a player was through to the end zone but tried to go down early to keep the ball so they could run the clock down further as a field goal would have done, can't remember the outcome though, but shows how important the game management is when they'd value 3 points over 7.

Niners are my team, simply as my father had a cruise down the west coast several years ago and bought me a hoodie so decided that they'd be my team, bit of luck that they've been a good team over the last few seasons, made supporting them a little easier, bit unpredictable this year though.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2014 13:21]
NFL Thread 2014 on 13:32 - Nov 11 with 1128 viewsymaohyd

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:20 - Nov 11 by Le_Swans

There was a game, I think it was last year or the year before where they we're trying to manage the clock and a player was through to the end zone but tried to go down early to keep the ball so they could run the clock down further as a field goal would have done, can't remember the outcome though, but shows how important the game management is when they'd value 3 points over 7.

Niners are my team, simply as my father had a cruise down the west coast several years ago and bought me a hoodie so decided that they'd be my team, bit of luck that they've been a good team over the last few seasons, made supporting them a little easier, bit unpredictable this year though.

Showing off here, went to San Francisco years ago back in the 90's. Great city and I drove past Candlestick Park. Not sure if the Niners used to play there or if it was just the Giants baseball, I think they've moved to a new stadium this year.

I've been lucky to do a lot of travelling and have seen many great historical buildings, nothing as a sports fan though beats seeing a stadium. Seen loads in the States. The huge bowl in LA..the Rose Bowl I think, Dodgers Stadium, Yankee Stadium (old one). Shea Stadium, never had the opportunity to see an American sporting event though. Did have tickets to see the Giants in San Fransisco, but the wife was taken ill with food poisoning so didn't go!

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:46 - Nov 11 with 1118 viewsLe_Swans

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:32 - Nov 11 by ymaohyd

Showing off here, went to San Francisco years ago back in the 90's. Great city and I drove past Candlestick Park. Not sure if the Niners used to play there or if it was just the Giants baseball, I think they've moved to a new stadium this year.

I've been lucky to do a lot of travelling and have seen many great historical buildings, nothing as a sports fan though beats seeing a stadium. Seen loads in the States. The huge bowl in LA..the Rose Bowl I think, Dodgers Stadium, Yankee Stadium (old one). Shea Stadium, never had the opportunity to see an American sporting event though. Did have tickets to see the Giants in San Fransisco, but the wife was taken ill with food poisoning so didn't go!

Yeah, it was the Niners ground (field of jeans now - Levis Stadium), also the last place The Beatles did a full concert apparently.

They've got a lot of great stadiums over there, I guess having so much spare land helps with the building of them.

Some friends and I are planning on going over in next year or two to catch a game. All support different teams, however all agreed on the Cowboys Stadium as it just looks incredible. EDIT: One of them is a Dallas fan.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2014 13:55]
NFL Thread 2014 on 14:05 - Nov 11 with 1103 viewsymaohyd

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:46 - Nov 11 by Le_Swans

Yeah, it was the Niners ground (field of jeans now - Levis Stadium), also the last place The Beatles did a full concert apparently.

They've got a lot of great stadiums over there, I guess having so much spare land helps with the building of them.

Some friends and I are planning on going over in next year or two to catch a game. All support different teams, however all agreed on the Cowboys Stadium as it just looks incredible. EDIT: One of them is a Dallas fan.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2014 13:55]

Enjoy..is it easy to get tickets for the Cowboys?

Just watching C4 show, Packers against the Bears and a profile of the Packers said every game has been sold out since the 60's. Their season ticket waiting list is 900 odd years!!!

Changing the subject to football or soccer. The MLS is growing every year and more and more stadiums are being built. All these 'soccer specific' stadiums as they like to call them all have capacities of between 20-25,000. The latest being San Jose Earthquakes new stadium which I believe is opening next season. I think the Swans played at their current stadium pre season a few years back. I say interesting as the Americans seem to see 'soccer' almost like basketball and not suiting huge bowl stadiums.

I know they have less crowds attending games but the Sounders play in the Seahawks stadium and average over 43,000!

NFL Thread 2014 on 14:21 - Nov 11 with 1095 viewsLe_Swans

NFL Thread 2014 on 14:05 - Nov 11 by ymaohyd

Enjoy..is it easy to get tickets for the Cowboys?

Just watching C4 show, Packers against the Bears and a profile of the Packers said every game has been sold out since the 60's. Their season ticket waiting list is 900 odd years!!!

Changing the subject to football or soccer. The MLS is growing every year and more and more stadiums are being built. All these 'soccer specific' stadiums as they like to call them all have capacities of between 20-25,000. The latest being San Jose Earthquakes new stadium which I believe is opening next season. I think the Swans played at their current stadium pre season a few years back. I say interesting as the Americans seem to see 'soccer' almost like basketball and not suiting huge bowl stadiums.

I know they have less crowds attending games but the Sounders play in the Seahawks stadium and average over 43,000!

Yeah, I believe so, they do a ticket exchange with Ticketmaster also, similar to ours but theirs looks like it actually works and seeing as its 80,000 should always be some available. Surprised at the prices of some tickets though, very high. They do a standing only ticket also, its about $20, think you can just hang around inside and watch on the TV's or something.

I think a lot of the sell outs has been to do with the Black out rules which meant the game couldn't be broadcast live in the local area unless it was a sell out, this has now changed I believe so may have an affect on attendances. They are a passionate bunch of fans though. I went to the Raiders game in Wembley and there were loads of them that had come over all dressed up and just really passionate about the team.

I think a lot of the soccer teams just can't afford the risk of building a bigger stadium if they don't get the fans through the door, there's not enough money in the game as it stands, think they only get about $100m a year through TV, and as popular as it is becoming it is still the 4th choice sport over there.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2014 14:22]
NFL Thread 2014 on 10:12 - Nov 20 with 1026 viewsLe_Swans

Crazy weather in Buffalo at the moment, what happens if they can't get it cleared and safe in time? Not much room to reschedule games, and can't play it at the Metlife as the Giants are home.
NFL Thread 2014 on 12:34 - Nov 20 with 1016 viewsQuakerJack

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:20 - Nov 11 by Le_Swans

Was that the superbowl? There was an incident there where the attacking team were trying to edge up the field, they were within about ten yards with two downs to go and about a minute left, two downs and a TD would have run the clock down and got the score they needed but the defence called their bluff and opened up, this confused the receiver who ran through, realised they were letting him score, stopped, hesitated, seemed to think for ages then fell over the TD, this gave the other team time, they got the ball, threw a hail Mary but the defence picked it up and won. The act of scoring nearly cost them the superbowl. I believe the winning team was the Giants against Tom Brady and the Patriots...

I've never had an NFL team until this weekend. My old flat mate is a Penn State grad, so we used to and still do, have a Saturday over his house, few beers watching Penn State so they became my team (the Swans are his).

However, I just got back from NY yesterday, incredible trip, I loved the city so decided to pick my team there and then. Not the obvious choice, but the Jets. Couldn't get a ticket but bought a Jets jersey. If they're in London soon I'll go.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

NFL Thread 2014 on 12:51 - Nov 20 with 1008 viewsLe_Swans

NFL Thread 2014 on 12:34 - Nov 20 by QuakerJack

Was that the superbowl? There was an incident there where the attacking team were trying to edge up the field, they were within about ten yards with two downs to go and about a minute left, two downs and a TD would have run the clock down and got the score they needed but the defence called their bluff and opened up, this confused the receiver who ran through, realised they were letting him score, stopped, hesitated, seemed to think for ages then fell over the TD, this gave the other team time, they got the ball, threw a hail Mary but the defence picked it up and won. The act of scoring nearly cost them the superbowl. I believe the winning team was the Giants against Tom Brady and the Patriots...

I've never had an NFL team until this weekend. My old flat mate is a Penn State grad, so we used to and still do, have a Saturday over his house, few beers watching Penn State so they became my team (the Swans are his).

However, I just got back from NY yesterday, incredible trip, I loved the city so decided to pick my team there and then. Not the obvious choice, but the Jets. Couldn't get a ticket but bought a Jets jersey. If they're in London soon I'll go.

Just checked and was that Super Bowl, Belichick told his defence to let him through, very surreal moment, especially as I wasn't really into NFL at that point, just watched the Super Bowls.

Jets are playing the Dolphins in Wembley next year, 4th October. I went this year (Dolphins @ Raiders) and was outstanding, great atmosphere and fun throughout, if you can go, go.
NFL Thread 2014 on 13:11 - Nov 20 with 1003 viewsreddythered

The Jests are really New Jersey... either way they suck and always will suck.

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:17 - Nov 20 with 1002 viewsQuakerJack

NFL Thread 2014 on 12:51 - Nov 20 by Le_Swans

Just checked and was that Super Bowl, Belichick told his defence to let him through, very surreal moment, especially as I wasn't really into NFL at that point, just watched the Super Bowls.

Jets are playing the Dolphins in Wembley next year, 4th October. I went this year (Dolphins @ Raiders) and was outstanding, great atmosphere and fun throughout, if you can go, go.

Really? Get in.... Thanks Le Swans. I'll get online and find out when tickets are on sale. With any luck the Swans will be away to a London team on the saturday.

Yes that was it... he's still coach there. I can't think of any other sport where you would deliberately allow the other team to score...

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:30 - Nov 20 with 999 viewsLe_Swans

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:17 - Nov 20 by QuakerJack

Really? Get in.... Thanks Le Swans. I'll get online and find out when tickets are on sale. With any luck the Swans will be away to a London team on the saturday.

Yes that was it... he's still coach there. I can't think of any other sport where you would deliberately allow the other team to score...

Season tickets, which are tickets for the 3 games usually go on sale at the start of December, the single game tickets then go on sale around January / February time.
NFL Thread 2014 on 16:59 - Nov 20 with 977 viewsC_jack

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:17 - Nov 20 by QuakerJack

It was either let them score and get the ball back, or let them run the clock down to 1 second and kick the winning field goal with no time left.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2014 16:59]

NFL Thread 2014 on 19:35 - Nov 20 with 957 viewsJonnyTheJack

NFL Thread 2014 on 10:12 - Nov 20 by Le_Swans

Crazy weather in Buffalo at the moment, what happens if they can't get it cleared and safe in time? Not much room to reschedule games, and can't play it at the Metlife as the Giants are home.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/11/20/buffalo-bills-new-york-jets-game-status

Monday night game in a different city it looks like. Crazy pictures.
NFL Thread 2014 on 09:05 - Nov 21 with 939 viewsQuakerJack

NFL Thread 2014 on 13:30 - Nov 20 by Le_Swans

Season tickets, which are tickets for the 3 games usually go on sale at the start of December, the single game tickets then go on sale around January / February time.

Thanks again. I'll sign up for email alerts.

NFL Thread 2014 on 20:12 - Jan 3 with 875 viewsC_jack

Playoffs begin tonight!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024