Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite books 18:12 - Jan 15 with 3212 viewsShun

Any literature-lovers out there? We've had a few music threads but I don't think I've ever seen a book thread on here. What are your favourites? Any you'd recommend?

- My favourite series is the Tales of the Otori series by Lian Hearn. Set in feudal Japan, it's just pure beauty.

- If anyone's read any Haruki Murakami then you're wiser for it. What a fantastic author. His works feature heavy elements of surrealism and even magic realism, but my favourite is one that remains firmly in reality; Norwegian Wood. I think it's still the most popular ever book in its native Japan, and it's read around the world. Just dreamy. A true masterpiece.

- The Catcher In The Rye makes it into the list simply for having a protagonist who reminds me of myself. An ode to adolescence.

Honourable mentions for the Harry Potter series (it's fun to mock them, but nobody can deny that they're fantastic) and The Hunger Games (surprisingly enjoyable for a book aimed at teenage girls).
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Favourite books on 18:16 - Jan 15 with 1965 viewselectricblue

Im half way through reading the saladin trilogy by jack hight..
I was very causous at first but its a damn good read...

Also theres another trilogy about alexander bloody good read cant remember the author but well worth it..
Valero manfredi thats him...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Favourite books on 18:28 - Jan 15 with 1945 viewsphomem

Reading the treatment by mo Hayder a really good read
Favourite books on 18:42 - Jan 15 with 1933 viewsStudiousDale

Stieg Larsson Millenium trilogy and Jo Nesbo Harry Hole books for me at the moment.

Non-fiction, Robert Enke's biography, 'The ghost runner' and 'Up Pohnpei' read recently, the latter I think anyone on this board who is into football would enjoy. Open, Agassi's autobiography is also good, and I'm not a tennis fan
Favourite books on 18:44 - Jan 15 with 1929 viewsShun

Favourite books on 18:42 - Jan 15 by StudiousDale

Stieg Larsson Millenium trilogy and Jo Nesbo Harry Hole books for me at the moment.

Non-fiction, Robert Enke's biography, 'The ghost runner' and 'Up Pohnpei' read recently, the latter I think anyone on this board who is into football would enjoy. Open, Agassi's autobiography is also good, and I'm not a tennis fan

Heard good things about Enke's biography.
Favourite books on 18:45 - Jan 15 with 1927 viewsTomRAFC

i am a massive john steinbeck fan (the grapes of wrath in particular).

to kill a mockingbird and great expectations are two other favourites.

a good autobiography is always wortha read (tony benn, ricky tomlinson, raymond blanc, lemmy kilmister all spring to mind).

i also read a fair bit of philosophy. (nietzsche, tom paine, early buddhist writings)

you wouldn't think that when you see me knocking back pints of black dragon in the regal when i first get back into dale!

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Favourite books on 18:53 - Jan 15 with 1908 viewsoff2div1

Geoff Thomas (ex dale & england player for young ones reading this)

Riding through the storm.

The story of his life in football and his battle to overcome cancer by cycling the

Tour de France and raising money for leukaemia.

May not be a nobel award winer. But a good read.
Favourite books on 19:15 - Jan 15 with 1877 viewsNotEyreClue

Anything by John Grisham is always worth a read for me and I've got everything he's ever done. The Perks Of Being a Wallflower has now been made into a fantastic film but the book is still up there as one of my favourites. I'm an avid reader of Chess related texts too (NERD ALERT). Chuck Palahunik has to be my favourite author though...Invisible Monsters is just a masterpiece of a book; the darker the better for me!

The modern pioneer of mealy mouthed bollocks.

Favourite books on 19:34 - Jan 15 with 1852 viewsfermin

If you are into family/historic novels (though that description does not do them justice) set in what we would call the Edwardian era then I recommend Miklos Banffy's trilogy about the downfall of the Hungarian aristocracy - 'They Were Counted', 'They Were Found Wanting' and 'They Were Divided'. I can imagine they would not be to everyone's taste but here is a review to give you an idea:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/3643015/A-masterpiece-in-any-language.html

A similar type of trilogy, but in a very different setting (inter-war Cairo) is Naguib Mahfouz's Cairo Trilogy. It is a while since I read them, but they were an insight into a very different culture, and I imagine more so now in the light of recent events in Egypt. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/07/22/cairo-revisited-how-naguib-mahf

Lighter reads would be the Erast Fandorin crime novels by Boris Akunin set mainly in 19th century Russia, which I am currently enjoying working my way through. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erast_Fandorin I think they would make rather good films, but as far as I am aware they have only been produced in Russian without subtitles, which is no good to me these days.

Although I did not really get along with it, 'Out Stealing Horses' by the Norwegian writer Per Petterson had very good reviews. I believe Scandinavian literature is getting more popular nowadays so you might like to have a look at him if you have not heard of him before. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/398323.Out_Stealing_Horses

From a similar part of the world I would also recommend by proxy 'Summer Book' by the Finnish writer, Tove Jansson. I have not read it myself but I bought it for my mother for her birthday a few years ago and she thinks it is fantastic. Simple yet deep writing. http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2003/jul/12/fiction.alismith
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite books on 19:35 - Jan 15 with 1849 viewsArthurDaley

Any thing to do with the SS on the Eastern front. Just finished reading the Cruel Hunters, by French Mclean. About Oskar Dirlewanger and his brigade of sub humans. The things they did to the Poles in Warsaw allmost unbelievable, they raped everybody, men, women kids. And Oskar, while all that was going on, he was performing sex acts on dead bodies. They murdered thousands of Poles. It was even too much for the regular German army, who wanted them out of Warsaw.

A large VAT Dave

Favourite books on 19:37 - Jan 15 with 1837 viewsfitzochris

Is this a good time to plug my books? Reclaiming The Angel's Share and To See Blue Skies? Available through Amazon.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Favourite books on 19:52 - Jan 15 with 1814 viewsStudiousDale

Favourite books on 18:53 - Jan 15 by off2div1

Geoff Thomas (ex dale & england player for young ones reading this)

Riding through the storm.

The story of his life in football and his battle to overcome cancer by cycling the

Tour de France and raising money for leukaemia.

May not be a nobel award winer. But a good read.

off2div1 I guess you're into your cycling - heard good things about this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Road-Hard-Lessons-Relationship/dp/095720020X
Favourite books on 19:53 - Jan 15 with 1812 viewspnc4eva1

Lord of the Rings.
The Silmarillion.
To kill a Mocking Bird.
1944 Normandy

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

Favourite books on 20:00 - Jan 15 with 1795 viewsmacro

Garry Nelson's story of a season - One foot in the grave? Was a really good read although outdated now
Favourite books on 20:03 - Jan 15 with 1788 viewsSaxonDale

'Iron Coffins' by Herbert Werner is a fantastic read about a U-Boat commander in WWII. Agree about Enke's biography, very good read.
Favourite books on 20:07 - Jan 15 with 1785 viewsslapandt

I like Bernard Cornwells Saxon series and Conn Igguldens series on the Mongol Empire and a special mention has to go to Steven Pressfields books on ancient greece (yes im into historical fiction).

Autobiographical book has to be "marching powder" by Rusty Young,an easy, gripping and fluid book, truelly a must read.

Still dig George Orwells 1984 out every now and then.

Favourite books on 20:35 - Jan 15 with 1764 viewsBigKindo

Another vote for To Kill a Mockingbird.
Wilkie Collins, Moonstone.
Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat.
Evelyn Waugh, The Loved One, Scoop, Black Mischief et al.
Currently reading Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Favourite books on 20:40 - Jan 15 with 1758 viewsTomRAFC

Favourite books on 20:35 - Jan 15 by BigKindo

Another vote for To Kill a Mockingbird.
Wilkie Collins, Moonstone.
Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat.
Evelyn Waugh, The Loved One, Scoop, Black Mischief et al.
Currently reading Uncle Tom's Cabin.

three men in a boat is available in poundland at the moment so if anyone fancies giving it a read it's dirt cheap

anyone into humorous travel books should give tony hawks (not the skateboarder) a read.

they are daft and contrivied but also very well written and funny.

also the stuart maconie books especially his book about the north pies & prejudice.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Favourite books on 20:47 - Jan 15 with 1751 viewsscarrow

I enjoy reading the books by Simon Scarrow - hence the username

Poll: Final position

Favourite books on 21:28 - Jan 15 with 1728 viewsDaleFan7

For Fiction/Fantasy type books A Song of Ice & Fire series by George RR Martin is the best books I've read since Lord of the Rings.

If you're into WW1 or 2 or anything like that I don't think there's a better book than Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.
Favourite books on 21:37 - Jan 15 with 1716 viewsfrenzied

Nothing as high brow as some of you fellas

Rumpole of the bailey

Val mcdermids wire in the blod stuff

anything by Peter james or Peter Robinson

simon kernicks thrillers are great also
Favourite books on 21:40 - Jan 15 with 1711 viewsSaxonDale

Favourite books on 21:28 - Jan 15 by DaleFan7

For Fiction/Fantasy type books A Song of Ice & Fire series by George RR Martin is the best books I've read since Lord of the Rings.

If you're into WW1 or 2 or anything like that I don't think there's a better book than Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.

Agree with Birdsong, one of the best books I've read in a long time.
Favourite books on 21:43 - Jan 15 with 1705 viewsmikehunt

I've only read one Murakami book - Kafka On The Shore - but am lining up his other books. If the others are like this one they will be a fantastic read. Highly recommended if you like it a bit weird.

I read that book because it had Kafka in the title. Kafka's The Trial and The Castle are renowned classics and good reads,

I would also recommend Knees Up Mother Earth by Robert Rankin. Magic, time travel and football. What more do you want. Basically, Brentford have to win the FA Cup to prevent the Earth from being taken over by demons. Not a spoiler but they have to play Burnley in the semi-final. A good easy read.

Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse is a masterpiece. I have read it in every decade of my life (5) and it has said something different to me every time.

Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky. Long but brilliant.

If you like travel then The Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin is fascinating. Not dry and stuffy like you might imagine but bursting with the wonder of the new discoveries they were finding.

Those are off the top of my head. There are just so many.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Favourite books on 22:09 - Jan 15 with 1680 viewsdalenumber2

Leaving aside all the classics I have enjoyed (too many to mention) I have recently read and/or would recommend: A Quiet Belief in Angels by RJ Ellory, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, Life of Pi by Yann Martell, "The Shadow of the Wind" trilogy by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Secret History by Donna Tartt and anything by Sebastian Faulks or William Boyd.
Favourite books on 22:38 - Jan 15 with 1659 viewsBigKindo

For serious bibliophiles, who appreciate the older publications, check out the Project Gutenberg at www,gutenberg.org/catalog/ Thousands of books and authors out of copyright in the U.S.A. Wodehouse, Edgar A. Poe, Wilkie Collins even Victorian editions of the Punch Magazine. Well worth a look.
Favourite books on 22:51 - Jan 15 with 1645 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

More of a motivational type book, but for anyone whose having a bad time of it or is a bit down, Bob Proctor's - You Were Born Rich, helped me out of a very dark place.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024