Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Undiscovered Gems 15:58 - Mar 28 with 5881 viewsQPRSteve

Albums that seem to have passed the majority of people by.

I'll start with the other great band to have come out of Hamburg after the Beatles. Anglo-American-German: Slapp Happy.

Undiscovered Gems on 10:08 - Mar 29 with 1915 viewsCateLeBonR

Undiscovered Gems on 00:23 - Mar 29 by DannyPaddox

Every time I play this I hear new things. Indefinable. Though some call it Jazz-Twitch.

I just entered Uttoxeter Bludgeon Party into my YouTube Music app and it reduced the poor thing to a quivering wreck. With smoke pouring out the back of my iPad all it could do is offer me a selection of the following:
Venga Boys - We like to Party, Vangagays - We like to Gach (that one can stay undiscovered ) and some group called The Lancashire Hotpots singing the austerity blues - Live.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2023 10:10]
Undiscovered Gems on 11:35 - Mar 29 with 1851 viewsTheChef

https://open.spotify.com/album/6eo9wHG2V79FTfz9pmfUEU

This band should be much bigger than they are (although in a way I'm glad they aren't)!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Undiscovered Gems on 12:12 - Mar 29 with 1811 viewshubble

Undiscovered Gems on 20:31 - Mar 28 by Sonofpugwash

Great bunch of lads.
Did a tour with them (as Spreadeagle roadie) and Lindisfarne.
Tony Connor brought the house down no sticks drum solo wielding a huge brass hand bell which he smashed the f*ck out of the stage boards.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 20:37]

Top marks for obscurity Pug. It's like a kind of Zep/Heep/Tull mishmash. I quite liked it!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Undiscovered Gems on 12:17 - Mar 29 with 1787 viewsHAYESBOY

Baby Huey - Hard Times.

Died aged 26 while recording the album.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Undiscovered Gems on 14:40 - Mar 29 with 1711 viewsR_from_afar

You may be familiar with It Bites from their big hit ("Calling all the heroes") in the 80s. The Cumbrian prog/art rockers combo split up in 1990 but reformed in 2006, with John Mitchell replacing singer/guitarist Francis Dunnery; Mitchell also performs with Frost, Kino and Arena.

I only recently stumbled across the most recent album, "Map of the past," and I reckon it's very decent. The band have retained their distinctive sound and the work is very varied and tuneful.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Undiscovered Gems on 16:33 - Mar 29 with 1668 viewsSonofpugwash

Soundtrack album to an obscure movie about Formula One.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Undiscovered Gems on 17:33 - Mar 29 with 1645 viewsAngelsone9

Undiscovered Gems on 12:17 - Mar 29 by HAYESBOY

Baby Huey - Hard Times.

Died aged 26 while recording the album.

Curtis Mayfield protege I believe?
Undiscovered Gems on 17:38 - Mar 29 with 1631 viewsAngelsone9

ignored by most of the general public - loved passionately by a few. and loads of musicians from D'Angelo, Elton, Aaliyah to broadcasters like our own Bob Elms
Login to get fewer ads

Undiscovered Gems on 20:13 - Mar 29 with 1579 viewsDannyPaddox

Their most well known but still not fully appreciated. Uncredited theremin on side 2 from Eno.
Undiscovered Gems on 20:51 - Mar 29 with 1545 viewshubble

Undiscovered Gems on 20:13 - Mar 29 by DannyPaddox

Their most well known but still not fully appreciated. Uncredited theremin on side 2 from Eno.

Not a lot of people know Dick Emery had a career in prog.

Undiscovered Gems on 21:13 - Mar 29 with 1511 viewsqprxtc

Undiscovered Gems on 16:17 - Mar 28 by QPRSteve

I love prog rock but i could never get into Family for some reason.

You always said you hated Chapmans warbily vocals?

I’ve got a couple of Caravan albums now and jolly good they are too, thanks Steve. Next stop Gentle Giant.

My addition to this thread:

Shakespeare Alabama by Diesel Park West, of course.
Undiscovered Gems on 21:19 - Mar 29 with 1508 viewsqpr_1968

Undiscovered Gems on 21:13 - Mar 29 by qprxtc

You always said you hated Chapmans warbily vocals?

I’ve got a couple of Caravan albums now and jolly good they are too, thanks Steve. Next stop Gentle Giant.

My addition to this thread:

Shakespeare Alabama by Diesel Park West, of course.

a little sample...

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Undiscovered Gems on 21:41 - Mar 29 with 1493 viewshubble

I think this definitely fits the bill. Undiscovered? 87 views on Youtube, 20k listens on Spotify... but this is gorgeous, smoky, lyrical, late night jazz from the Lorenzo De Finti quartet. Perfect on a rainy night in London town...

Undiscovered Gems on 22:14 - Mar 29 with 1461 viewsSK_hoops

Undiscovered Gems on 23:01 - Mar 28 by distortR

Mush is such a good album.

Yeah, highly regarded in its niche circle, but should be up there with the all time best punk albums imo.
Undiscovered Gems on 00:08 - Mar 30 with 1421 viewsCateLeBonR

I was chatting to a mate about this earlier. He gave me a list of names of bands to add. The Stairs, Goldheart Assembly and Hooton Tennis Club.

I said what about Tim Hardin?

He hadn't heard of him.

[Post edited 30 Mar 2023 0:09]
Undiscovered Gems on 07:54 - Mar 30 with 1350 viewsSK_hoops

Undiscovered Gems on 11:35 - Mar 29 by TheChef

https://open.spotify.com/album/6eo9wHG2V79FTfz9pmfUEU

This band should be much bigger than they are (although in a way I'm glad they aren't)!

They were relatively popular at the time, no? They were regularly in the music magazines I used to read and remember seeing their set from somewhere like Reading or Glastonbury on TV once.
Undiscovered Gems on 12:57 - Mar 30 with 1300 viewsTheChef

My favourite Belgian art rockers.

Title track from their debut album.

Undiscovered Gems on 13:32 - Mar 30 with 1270 viewsdmm

Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino are not well known here but they're almost an institution in Italy. They've been going for nearly 50 years and are more of an extended family than a band. I believe some of the members are now children of the original line up.

Live they're unique and utterly brilliant, producing one of the most joyous atmospheres I've ever experienced at a gig.

Undiscovered Gems on 13:50 - Mar 30 with 1254 viewsDannyPaddox

Undiscovered Gems on 13:32 - Mar 30 by dmm

Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino are not well known here but they're almost an institution in Italy. They've been going for nearly 50 years and are more of an extended family than a band. I believe some of the members are now children of the original line up.

Live they're unique and utterly brilliant, producing one of the most joyous atmospheres I've ever experienced at a gig.

Jugglers, face-painting, action-painters with wireless-headsets. I’d be getting out of that abandoned abattoir double-pronto!
Undiscovered Gems on 13:54 - Mar 30 with 1249 viewsTheChef

Undiscovered Gems on 07:54 - Mar 30 by SK_hoops

They were relatively popular at the time, no? They were regularly in the music magazines I used to read and remember seeing their set from somewhere like Reading or Glastonbury on TV once.

Yeah I suppose.

Just thought this one was an album that seems to have passed the majority of people by.

Undiscovered Gems on 14:11 - Mar 30 with 1200 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Beautiful songwriting, excellent production, superb surname. Should have conquered the world. Or something.
'Catch the Brass Ring', his debut album from 2007.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Undiscovered Gems on 14:24 - Mar 30 with 1178 viewsR_from_afar

This band was a YouTube suggestion for me and I am glad I bothered to take a listen. Their music sits at the intersection of stoner rock and prog, I would say:

This is musically similar and a great collaboration between two bands:

When grunge and jazz (!) collide...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Undiscovered Gems on 16:28 - Mar 30 with 1110 viewsQPRcounsellor

Undiscovered Gems on 22:58 - Mar 28 by qpr_1968

yeah, just listened to the full album.....very good.

think he formed/joined this band after shack.

Great that you listened to Waterpistol mate. It's absolutely brilliant, and the rest of his stuff is too, although for me it's the "coolest" sound of his.

Check out Michael Head and the Magic Of The Strands, another masterpiece. How this guy isn't a superstar is a mystery.

Yes, saw The Red Elastic Band at Shepherd's Bush Empire in the summer, it was brilliant.

Cheers.
Undiscovered Gems on 20:35 - Mar 30 with 1055 viewsSonofpugwash

[Post edited 30 Mar 2023 20:42]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Undiscovered Gems on 21:53 - Mar 30 with 992 viewscolinallcars

Many (most) people only know Georgie Fame from the days of his big hits but this album with star guests like Robert Cray and Boz Scaggs is excellent.
“I'm a cool cat with a thermostat”
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024