Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren suffers long term pain after short term gain — Column 00:11 - Apr 2 with 5756 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/50027
McClaren suffers long term pain after short term gain — Column on 15:02 - Apr 3 with 871 viewsAntti_Heinola

McClaren suffers long term pain after short term gain — Column on 14:41 - Apr 3 by 18StoneOfHoop

I love Kev and he's a clever chap
as you can hear on Podcasts
compared to say Rodney
but it's a bit
low to play the race card
and WHY THE FOOK HASN'T HE DONE his FULL FA BADGES?
Instead of this weak unbecoming whingeing

summed up my feelings exactly mate.

Bare bones.

McClaren suffers long term pain after short term gain — Column on 17:47 - Apr 3 with 710 viewsngbqpr

McClaren suffers long term pain after short term gain — Column on 18:52 - Apr 2 by PinnerPaul

One point to pick up on and a (fanciful) thought.

Clive quite rightly says most/all managers will always want a 'short term' fix - ie bring players in they know/trust because they know that a run of defeats can bring the sack.

How about the clubs do something about that - ie give the manager a job for the season and stick to that - whatever happens results-wise.

It might, just might get less short term decisions from managers, create less pressure and certainly save a shed load of money on paying off contracts.

Media don't help - I read this the other day 'Darren Moore was sacked as manager of WBA after a RUN of 2 defeats in 3 games' How the hell is TWO defeats a ******* RUN!

Whilst I can't claim to be in the 'SMc should stay' camp (non-existent it would appear), arguably he got sacked off the back of one bad month / 4 results.

The media understandably is trotting out the '1 win in 15 since Xmas' line, and on paper that does look appalling...but as Clive points out, in Jan & Feb there was a mix of mitigating circumstances and rank bad luck that meant the majority of fans looked beyond the results and weren't ready to press the panic button.

It's also worth pointing out that the good run initially kept going for several games after Leeds away with only Wells of the four 'warriors' available for selection.

And so to March...we all guessed what would happen at Brentford (who to be fair were in blistering home form at the time)...I think most would have taken a point at Hull...but there was this assumption we'd roll over Rotherham & Bolton; likewise Stoke after the early red card. We didn't - and we're left with another managerial pay off (set of pay offs probably imminent), another unplanned for manager search, and back way past square one into square minus something.

Like many, I'm pretty much beyond getting worked up about it. I'd love a left field appointment like Gigi Di Canio was, someone who comes in, accepts the squad he's got, and coaches them to be better individually & collectively...but if the rumour mill is to be believed, an uninspiring appointment looks more on the cards.

Ho hum.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

McClaren suffers long term pain after short term gain — Column on 14:42 - Apr 4 with 580 viewsisawqpratwcity

I have to disagree that McClaren's remit was to develop the younger players. It may have been his secondary objective, but there's no way he would have been sacked if we were still grinding out anything like the form we had leading up to Christmas, regardless of who was playing.

McClaren was primarily brought in to revive the team's performance after the anaemic performance under Holloway, before the parachute payments ran out. To be fair to the man, it worked for such an extended period that most thought he had actually cracked on to the remedy for our previous ills. For that reason I also contend that your second article (5 highs, 5 lows) misses the point: his best performance was that extended run of decent form. It swept away Holloway's occasional brilliant game or two among a swamp of very ordinary results and showed that we could be a club of reasonably predictable, good, competitive form. That it turned so bad in 2019 was initially excusable for so many reasons but eventually the excuses ran out and we were faced with the fact that we were just plain awful. That was when he had to go.

While I still don't understand why it went so bad, I accept his failure and see those few months of excitement and hope, including the two cup runs, as mitigations in an otherwise unsuccessful casting of the dice.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024