Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The best goalkeeping display... 12:31 - Sep 9 with 3384 viewsYorkRanger

(or save)....

Reading Clive's summary on Phil Dowd's appointment for the game at Old Trafford reminded me of the great performance by Cerny in the League Cup defeat there. That then left me reflecting on great saves or goalkeeping performances by QPR keepers.

Admittedly these don't stay in the mind as long as the great goals but here are a few offerings (in no particular order):

1. Peter Hucker - FA Cup Final 1982
2. Chris Day - Last minute Oldham play off semi final
3. Paddy Kenny - Tip over the bar , home game v Leicester 1-0 victory (ishmael Miller goal).

Thoughts anyone...(hope this isnt a Spackman...)
The best goalkeeping display... on 10:56 - Sep 10 with 922 viewssaxbend

For me it's Clint Hill.

I remember a home game against Blackpool - we ended up winning 3-0 but should have been 6-0 down at half time, but between Kenny and Hill we managed to keep it goalless.

Blackpool had a free kick which Kenny stretched to push away from the top corner. It came back out to a striker - probably off the woodwork, who had an empty net to tuck it into at the time of shooting, but by the time the ball was approaching the goal line, there was Clint Hill lunging in to clear it away.

Clint makes as many saves as a lot of actual goalkeepers.
The best goalkeeping display... on 10:58 - Sep 10 with 919 viewspaulparker

The best goalkeeping display... on 10:56 - Sep 10 by saxbend

For me it's Clint Hill.

I remember a home game against Blackpool - we ended up winning 3-0 but should have been 6-0 down at half time, but between Kenny and Hill we managed to keep it goalless.

Blackpool had a free kick which Kenny stretched to push away from the top corner. It came back out to a striker - probably off the woodwork, who had an empty net to tuck it into at the time of shooting, but by the time the ball was approaching the goal line, there was Clint Hill lunging in to clear it away.

Clint makes as many saves as a lot of actual goalkeepers.

that was Doncaster I think SaxBend

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The best goalkeeping display... on 20:07 - Sep 10 with 884 viewsScarecrow

The best goalkeeping display... on 15:04 - Sep 9 by SomersetHoops

I used to like Phil Parkes and Jan Stejskal once he had settled in. They were players who seemed to spread confidence. I always prefered Jan between the sticks than Tony Roberts whose high pitched shouts were not confidence building. Paddy Kenny made some good saves and a few blunders, but served us well without generating that confidence.

Its strange that keepers seem to need time to settle in. When Rob Green started with us his pre-season and first few games were very poor, which resulted in the panic buy of Cesar, but once Green had settled he came good.

Jan Stejskal Newcastle away. Think we lost 1-0 but he was stunning and it was a good fews years ago where the welcoming party still stoned us even though we lost,!
The best goalkeeping display... on 22:19 - Sep 10 with 851 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The best goalkeeping display... on 21:35 - Sep 9 by YorkRanger

I always felt sorry for Lee Camp, discarded having been a fine keeper for us during an exceptionally difficult time

There was a non football reason for that . Google it!
The best goalkeeping display... on 23:27 - Sep 10 with 835 viewsPeterHucker

2nd half of the season when we got to playoffs, there were loads of games where Chris Day was just bloody brilliant. One of my favourite ever QPR keepers, never gets the credit he deserves in my opinion.

I remember a Boxing Day 0-0 at home to Liverpool. It was the greatest 0-0 I've ever seen. Both teams had loads of chances but Stejskal and Grobelaar both made lots of amazing saves and played blinders. I remember coming out of that match confident that if we carried on playing like that we were going to give someone a thrashing pretty soon. Didn't expect it to be Man United at Old Trafford a few days later though!! Dennis Bailey Hallelujah Hallelujah!!

Lee Camp at Hartlepool already been mentioned I see.

Another one would be away to Swindon, bloody freezing, I think it might've been New Year's Day?? We scraped a 1-0, I think Stuart Wardley scored it. We didn't play very well but Lee 'Arper made a load of great saves down in front of us.
The best goalkeeping display... on 23:49 - Sep 10 with 831 viewsNorthernr

The best goalkeeping display... on 22:19 - Sep 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

There was a non football reason for that . Google it!

Which was actually complete bolox. Another myth that grew into fact thanks to Pete, Scott and the hangers on.
The best goalkeeping display... on 09:14 - Sep 11 with 797 viewsWalnut

The best goalkeeping display... on 23:49 - Sep 10 by Northernr

Which was actually complete bolox. Another myth that grew into fact thanks to Pete, Scott and the hangers on.

Being naive here, is there actually an accepted reason Camp left when he did?
Top displays, agree with a lot on here, ,add to these, Parkes in Cologne despite letting 4 in(!). Glad someone mentioned Budgie at Charlton 81/82, vivid memories of that twisting save & penno save, though I believe that game wasn't on TV as suggested. how about Fraser Digby's debut at Notts County in 01/02? Brought in after Chris day's injury the week before.
The best goalkeeping display... on 10:30 - Sep 11 with 784 viewsNorthernr

The best goalkeeping display... on 09:14 - Sep 11 by Walnut

Being naive here, is there actually an accepted reason Camp left when he did?
Top displays, agree with a lot on here, ,add to these, Parkes in Cologne despite letting 4 in(!). Glad someone mentioned Budgie at Charlton 81/82, vivid memories of that twisting save & penno save, though I believe that game wasn't on TV as suggested. how about Fraser Digby's debut at Notts County in 01/02? Brought in after Chris day's injury the week before.

When Dowie came in as manager and they bought Cerny Dowie told Camp that as the existing number one the shirt was his to lose and he would be starting the season in goal until he did something that meant that should change. The week before the first game we had a friendly at home to Chievo which Camp was due to start in. Briatore flipped his lid, said he hadn't spent all that money on Cerny for him not to play, and told Dowie he had to pick Cerny, which he did. That led to the rather embarrassing berating of Cerny by our own fans in the first game against Barnsley.
Camp was unhappy and tried to force a move somewhere else for first team football, which he eventually got at Forest. He then upset QPR fans by playing particularly poorly against Forest for us and waving at their fans during the match.

The Paladini Posse meanwhile put it about that Camp had been shagging Flavio's wife.
Login to get fewer ads

The best goalkeeping display... on 10:36 - Sep 11 with 780 viewsterryb

The best goalkeeping display... on 12:35 - Sep 9 by Northernr

Chris Day made a better save (though not as important) than the Oldham one in a night match at Wrexham. Also had an astonishing game in the wind and rain at Blackpool when we won 1-0 there and Rowlands scored.

Jurgeon Sommer's finest hour v Villa at home was quite something as well.

And Lee Camp's debut at Hartlepool. The one goal they did get followed a triple save!

This post has been edited by an administrator

In complete agreement about Chris Day at Blackpool. We should have lost by four but he was unbeatable.

Then he didn't perfrom as well at Southend in the Freight Rover (or whatever it was then called) & Ollie dropped him!

However, from a Rangers point of view, Peter Hucker at Wembley has to be the best. That day Tottenham could have scored double figures before we outplayed them in the replay.

Other than Rangers, the best displays I have seen were The Clown for Poland & a man called Glanville in a FA Cup 4th Qualifying replay for Chesham at Bromsgrove in the early 90's.

All, apart from our goal from the only time we crossed the half way line, of the match was Glanville against the whole of the Bromsgrove team.

What a night that was!
The best goalkeeping display... on 11:18 - Sep 11 with 770 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Day at Blackpool is the best I've seen. He played like Schmeichel that day.

Made sitting in that temp stand rubble to the left of us Blackpool to the right, wind everywhere, worth it.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The best goalkeeping display... on 11:33 - Sep 11 with 766 viewsextratimeR

Yes, some great displays mentioned here, the Paddy Kenny save against Leicester was top class, I was sort of in-line with it in F Block, and I'll never know how he got it out from under the bar.

The best display I have seen was the Sommer game against Villa, he actually got the three points, ( though as mentioned above, he also had some nightmares), Jan Stejskal also deserves a mention, I remember one great display at Highbury.

Chris Day for Oldham away, after Langley was sent off, ( as well as the home game with the amazing save).
The best goalkeeping display... on 12:50 - Sep 11 with 746 viewstraininvain

Cesar had a good game at Arsenal last time we were in the Premiership. Was unlucky on the goal as the Arsenal player was offside.

In terms of general goalkeeping displays, Peter Schmeichel's performance for Manchester United vs. Newcastle United in 1996 is about as good as it gets for a goalkeeper.

This is worth a look:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/sep/26/sport.comment1
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024