Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … 08:00 - Aug 26 with 3435 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/62852/

It’s here, click above.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 13:19 - Aug 26 with 987 viewsraynor94

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 13:17 - Aug 26 by Whiterockin

I thought he was poor, often taking the wrong decision and failing to track back as the game went on.

Same here, wasn't his finest game for us

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 14:27 - Aug 26 with 905 viewsFireboy2

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 13:19 - Aug 26 by raynor94

Same here, wasn't his finest game for us

He tried to hard especially in the second half as there wasn't much flair displayed from others.
Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 14:55 - Aug 26 with 859 viewsRichardO

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 11:02 - Aug 26 by max936

I keep saying it, because its true centre midfield needs to be better Franco doesn't look to be the answer for me, we need more physicality and height in the middle of the park.

Leon used to make up for that most of the time with his quickness of thought, deed and ability to read games and find a pass, ably assisted by Joey, the game as moved on though so whether they would work as well these days is another question. skill and talent would nearly always pull through though so they would find a way is my guess.

I'm with Dr Winston with regards to Franco he is showin signs that he will be become our first choice midfielder, when the midfield was changed on the 70min mark we suffered because of it. We struggled a bit after half time but I think the Cardiff change could have been negated by Grimes stepping up more in the midfield with Tymon staying back on his man. They moved the ball quicker through the midfield as our press was non existence because of the lack of coordinated support in the middle compounded by the substitutions and add into the mix bad defending on the left.
Add to that the ingrained doctrine that to play well we must slow the game down , not for me it is the speed of thought that opens up games.
[Post edited 26 Aug 15:04]
Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:04 - Aug 26 with 800 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 14:55 - Aug 26 by RichardO

I'm with Dr Winston with regards to Franco he is showin signs that he will be become our first choice midfielder, when the midfield was changed on the 70min mark we suffered because of it. We struggled a bit after half time but I think the Cardiff change could have been negated by Grimes stepping up more in the midfield with Tymon staying back on his man. They moved the ball quicker through the midfield as our press was non existence because of the lack of coordinated support in the middle compounded by the substitutions and add into the mix bad defending on the left.
Add to that the ingrained doctrine that to play well we must slow the game down , not for me it is the speed of thought that opens up games.

So long as Grimes as seen as the one through whom all things must pass ,we will never progress .
He should be instructed to be nowhere near our centre halves .
They are adequate ,at least Darlings isn’t acting like a jerk .
He would be better deployed in an advanced role.
He could be very effective ,right now,he is just a stats king

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:11 - Aug 26 with 816 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:04 - Aug 26 by onehunglow

So long as Grimes as seen as the one through whom all things must pass ,we will never progress .

And player of the match.
[Post edited 26 Aug 15:11]
Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:12 - Aug 26 with 797 viewsunion_jack

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 12:25 - Aug 26 by Whiterockin

Josh Thomas who could have offered us something towards the end yesterday.

No, not in this game.

Can you imagine the pelters LW would have got if he’d put him on and he’d drowned under the pressure. Too big a game for inexperience I think. We need more experience and physicality in depth.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:14 - Aug 26 with 786 viewsRichardO

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:04 - Aug 26 by onehunglow

Sorry edited while you replied, the number of times we slowed things down, why instead of grabbing the initiative be it with quick balls down the middle on the floor, over the top or from the goalies arms who looked as if we had to have written permission to release the ball?
Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:16 - Aug 26 with 782 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:12 - Aug 26 by union_jack

No, not in this game.

Can you imagine the pelters LW would have got if he’d put him on and he’d drowned under the pressure. Too big a game for inexperience I think. We need more experience and physicality in depth.

He would have hassled their defence, which we were lacking in the closing stages yesterday, they had time to play out and cause us problems. We stopped pressurising their keeper who always had a mistake in him.
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:20 - Aug 26 with 734 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:14 - Aug 26 by RichardO

Sorry edited while you replied, the number of times we slowed things down, why instead of grabbing the initiative be it with quick balls down the middle on the floor, over the top or from the goalies arms who looked as if we had to have written permission to release the ball?

Watched second half with my missus who like football and knows quite a bit
She has no sentiments regarding the game
We have given contracts to players out of sheer sentiment .
That has bitten us on the nuts
Right now, Grimes is killing is with his tedious incessant,sideways and b@ kwatds passing

It kills any forward movement . What we see is what we see. Stats mislead .

He needs to be be he’d or “ have a rest”and then we would see if we could play quicker

He has to slow it down as he has zero pace and is passed easily and left for dead

It’s in front of our very eyes

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:25 - Aug 26 with 747 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:20 - Aug 26 by onehunglow

Watched second half with my missus who like football and knows quite a bit
She has no sentiments regarding the game
We have given contracts to players out of sheer sentiment .
That has bitten us on the nuts
Right now, Grimes is killing is with his tedious incessant,sideways and b@ kwatds passing

It kills any forward movement . What we see is what we see. Stats mislead .

He needs to be be he’d or “ have a rest”and then we would see if we could play quicker

He has to slow it down as he has zero pace and is passed easily and left for dead

It’s in front of our very eyes

We played quickly against Preston, the tactics and substitutions were poor yesterday.
Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:30 - Aug 26 with 688 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:25 - Aug 26 by Whiterockin

We played quickly against Preston, the tactics and substitutions were poor yesterday.

….which is my point .

Next question is why revert to type .

There is enough talent to have dismembered Cardiff . And no,they are not in any way “ not a bad team”
Preston were dire and put to the sword ,eventually

Yesterday was unforgivable
We are trying to attract the crowds back .

By the way, look around at the “ professionals” and many are not that good .

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:42 - Aug 26 with 683 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:30 - Aug 26 by onehunglow

….which is my point .

Next question is why revert to type .

There is enough talent to have dismembered Cardiff . And no,they are not in any way “ not a bad team”
Preston were dire and put to the sword ,eventually

Yesterday was unforgivable
We are trying to attract the crowds back .

By the way, look around at the “ professionals” and many are not that good .

How can Grimes be killing us when he played in both matches, he was MoM in a game of poor tactics and substitutions by Williams.
Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:57 - Aug 26 with 658 viewsmax936

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 14:55 - Aug 26 by RichardO

Franco went off because he was knackered and seemingly in pain, I don't care who or who doesn't agree with my opinion!

For ME everything works off centre midfield if we're strong there our defending should become easier and stronger, attack can build and be stronger from there, it may not work against the better sides, but we'll have a better balance.
[Post edited 26 Aug 16:02]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 16:02 - Aug 26 with 651 viewsunion_jack

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:16 - Aug 26 by Whiterockin

He would have hassled their defence, which we were lacking in the closing stages yesterday, they had time to play out and cause us problems. We stopped pressurising their keeper who always had a mistake in him.

Hindsight is a precise science they say.

There’s no way of knowing really. He went with the safe option I.e. players he knows and experience. Abdulai has played in that position previously so it was ‘safe’ in his mind. The fact that it’s never worked must throw up some red flags.

It was his tactics that let us down more. Not going for the throat when we had complete control of the game. Not defending the left hand side where they introduced pace in abundance. For a Championship manager, this is bread and butter stuff.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 18:36 - Aug 26 with 578 viewsmax936

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:42 - Aug 26 by Whiterockin

How can Grimes be killing us when he played in both matches, he was MoM in a game of poor tactics and substitutions by Williams.

Last be honest, whoever picked Grimes for MOM was being generous in the extreme, may just as well have picked the Groundsman, Grimes halts momentum time and time again, especially if we are under the cosh even a little bit.

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 19:36 - Aug 26 with 535 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 09:10 - Aug 26 by Dr_Winston

Won't disagree with most of this, but quite surprised at the criticism of Franco. Was comfortably our best player from kick off to substitution. Strong in the tackle and the press and used the ball better than any of our other starting midfielders.

Taking him off was absolutely a factor in their dominance in the last period of the game.

I said elsewhere that our subs killed us, took off our pace and replaced it with stagnant thinking.
I thought Grimes was ok the frst 30 mins but then he went into negative mode and he got worse as the game wore on, at one point in the second half he was our last man and was 10 yards behind everybody else. He should never be there unless he's chasing back with a man.

It felt to me like Williams had accepted the draw and in doing so gave Cardiff the momentum and they pushed on, until the last 10-15 when they also seemed happy to draw.

Darling has to stop falling over when he's touched or he'll get a rep for it. Tymon has to get closer to his man and make it hard to go around him, if he's not fast enough then he needs help.
Abdullai on the wing is a big gripe for me. He wasn't a winger in the I21's was he? Wasn't he a CDM? Putting him on the wing is bloody silly. Specially when we had another proper winger sitting on the bench.

We haven't done well sitting back being tippy tappy ever since Martin first brought it in. We need to pass with purpose not with stupidity.

If we carry on like that second half we will throw away a lot of points.
Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 19:45 - Aug 26 with 492 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:42 - Aug 26 by Whiterockin

Quite easily
Have a look at Maxs comments .
Almost a carbon copy of mine

Grimes kills most of our forward attacking chances

Pundits….what like Conor Houricane and Earnie .

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 19:55 - Aug 26 with 498 viewsDr_Winston

"I thought Grimes was ok the frst 30 mins but then he went into negative mode and he got worse as the game wore on, at one point in the second half he was our last man and was 10 yards behind everybody else. He should never be there unless he's chasing back with a man. "

And this is what is so maddening about him. It's not a Williams thing. It's been a vast majority of the managers he's played under thing. His default setting is to be cautious. When he's not, he can be superb, but time and time and time again we see BadGrimes.

I don't know how anyone can look at what he contributed against Preston and think what we saw from him yesterday is in any way good enough considering his talent, never mind a MoM display (MoM was Franco in any case). We've had too many managers who accept his stats instead of his performances.

It's the same with a lot of supporters too. Loads of people on Twitter will defend him with heat maps, and passing charts, and stats. Few can actually describe a passage of play he was influential in.
[Post edited 26 Aug 19:58]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 23:43 - Aug 26 with 362 viewssons_of_omri

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 19:55 - Aug 26 by Dr_Winston

"I thought Grimes was ok the frst 30 mins but then he went into negative mode and he got worse as the game wore on, at one point in the second half he was our last man and was 10 yards behind everybody else. He should never be there unless he's chasing back with a man. "

And this is what is so maddening about him. It's not a Williams thing. It's been a vast majority of the managers he's played under thing. His default setting is to be cautious. When he's not, he can be superb, but time and time and time again we see BadGrimes.

I don't know how anyone can look at what he contributed against Preston and think what we saw from him yesterday is in any way good enough considering his talent, never mind a MoM display (MoM was Franco in any case). We've had too many managers who accept his stats instead of his performances.

It's the same with a lot of supporters too. Loads of people on Twitter will defend him with heat maps, and passing charts, and stats. Few can actually describe a passage of play he was influential in.
[Post edited 26 Aug 19:58]

I think Grimes is a bit of a warlock and has cast a spell over every manager we’ve had and at least 60% of our fans. It’s the only logical explanation

“Look into my eyes not behind the eyes aaaaaand …………you’re under!”
[Post edited 26 Aug 23:44]
Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 00:04 - Aug 27 with 347 viewsRichardO

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 15:57 - Aug 26 by max936

Franco went off because he was knackered and seemingly in pain, I don't care who or who doesn't agree with my opinion!

For ME everything works off centre midfield if we're strong there our defending should become easier and stronger, attack can build and be stronger from there, it may not work against the better sides, but we'll have a better balance.
[Post edited 26 Aug 16:02]

A bit touchy aren't we, an exclamation mark very effective.😘
I agree Franco went off looking as if he was in pain not to sure about the knackered bit but looked as if he needed to come off.
I also agree that the centre of the midfield is the area of the pitch where we need to be strong but when the opposition moved their midfield play closer to their 18 yard line at the start of second half we didn't impose our required midfield dominance on them we gave them space and time to do what they wanted because we didn't coordinate our midfield play. Cooper pushing on Franco left in the middle and Grimes too hesitant to push up.

The team in the years since demotion has been unable to find that balance between defence and attack.
Under Potter we scored more goals but conceded ground resulting in goals being given away at set pieces.
Under Cooper we tightened up the defence conceded less but scored less ultimately coming up short.
Under Martin we scored goals but crumbled under any sort of pressure.
Duff and Sheehan teams went the same way and Williams record is not great since taking over but it is early days yet.
But
there is one player who slows everything down, is caught in two minds in the middle of the park, does he push forward to help his forwards and risk begin passed and unable to turn and catch up or does he sit back in a holding position leaving gaps either way inviting pressure onto the defence.His passing stats when he pushes forward cannot match his defensive ones because he comstantly over hits his through balls, his corners and free kicks have been so poor he has been relieved of those duties by a succession of managers , the last place you want to see him is as the last line of defence because of his lack of pace again also being relieved of those duties at set pieces.
He has done it for a number of years, time for a change to make the midfield stronger as we can be bullied at times
He played well in the first half although he did slow our play at times so instead of killing the game off we left Cardiff off the hook, we have seen that happen before but was he anonymous in the second half until they scored , not captain material in my opinion as for MOM in games means nothing if the team is not functioning properly. unable to defend or attack effectively.
Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 10:31 - Aug 27 with 245 viewsmax936

Swansea City 1 Cardiff City 1 : The absolute truth … on 00:04 - Aug 27 by RichardO

A bit touchy aren't we, an exclamation mark very effective.😘
I agree Franco went off looking as if he was in pain not to sure about the knackered bit but looked as if he needed to come off.
I also agree that the centre of the midfield is the area of the pitch where we need to be strong but when the opposition moved their midfield play closer to their 18 yard line at the start of second half we didn't impose our required midfield dominance on them we gave them space and time to do what they wanted because we didn't coordinate our midfield play. Cooper pushing on Franco left in the middle and Grimes too hesitant to push up.

The team in the years since demotion has been unable to find that balance between defence and attack.
Under Potter we scored more goals but conceded ground resulting in goals being given away at set pieces.
Under Cooper we tightened up the defence conceded less but scored less ultimately coming up short.
Under Martin we scored goals but crumbled under any sort of pressure.
Duff and Sheehan teams went the same way and Williams record is not great since taking over but it is early days yet.
But
there is one player who slows everything down, is caught in two minds in the middle of the park, does he push forward to help his forwards and risk begin passed and unable to turn and catch up or does he sit back in a holding position leaving gaps either way inviting pressure onto the defence.His passing stats when he pushes forward cannot match his defensive ones because he comstantly over hits his through balls, his corners and free kicks have been so poor he has been relieved of those duties by a succession of managers , the last place you want to see him is as the last line of defence because of his lack of pace again also being relieved of those duties at set pieces.
He has done it for a number of years, time for a change to make the midfield stronger as we can be bullied at times
He played well in the first half although he did slow our play at times so instead of killing the game off we left Cardiff off the hook, we have seen that happen before but was he anonymous in the second half until they scored , not captain material in my opinion as for MOM in games means nothing if the team is not functioning properly. unable to defend or attack effectively.

Not touchy R, it wasn't meant to come across that way apologies.

Great post though and sums it up superbly

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024