Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? 11:45 - Jul 11 with 1546 viewssaint901

Whilst I'm thankful we did, in my book, never a pen.

Your view?
Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 12:24 - Jul 11 with 1494 viewsdirk_doone

Most penalties are given for handballs which aren't deliberate. There is an element of bad luck involved in conceding penalties.

In situations like the one last night, the player who gets the ball is OK, the one who doesn't, isn't. It's considered reckless play. The lesson is, if you're going to swing your boot hard and high, make sure you make contact with the ball and not the man. As Kane said at the end, his foot felt like it was hanging off. I'm sure a photo would show it's bruised and swollen.

Personally, I think that penalties should only be awarded for deliberate handballs and fouls but that's not the way it works nowadays. You regularly see a yellow card or penalty given for a foul that wasn't deliberate. The player was just trying to kick the ball, but was beaten to it.
[Post edited 11 Jul 12:34]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 13:14 - Jul 11 with 1423 viewsTripleNiemi

Will take it all day, but never a pen

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 13:17 - Jul 11 with 1417 viewsyateleysaint

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 12:24 - Jul 11 by dirk_doone

Most penalties are given for handballs which aren't deliberate. There is an element of bad luck involved in conceding penalties.

In situations like the one last night, the player who gets the ball is OK, the one who doesn't, isn't. It's considered reckless play. The lesson is, if you're going to swing your boot hard and high, make sure you make contact with the ball and not the man. As Kane said at the end, his foot felt like it was hanging off. I'm sure a photo would show it's bruised and swollen.

Personally, I think that penalties should only be awarded for deliberate handballs and fouls but that's not the way it works nowadays. You regularly see a yellow card or penalty given for a foul that wasn't deliberate. The player was just trying to kick the ball, but was beaten to it.
[Post edited 11 Jul 12:34]

If Kane’s foot was hurting that much he should have let someone else take the penalty.

He was looking at the ref while rolling around on the floor.

It’s cheating, just like Simeone cheated to get Beckham sent off.

I guess you could say it’s about time England did the cheating rather than the other way around but I think England used to be more honest.

I’m biased though as I don’t like Harry Kane.

You cannot reason a person out of something they were not reasoned into.

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 13:30 - Jul 11 with 1396 viewsSonicBoom

Let's be honest we've seen far softer penalties given in the PL every week. Players collapse if they feel "contact" then when a penalty is given against their side they all complain.
Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 13:37 - Jul 11 with 1387 viewsdirk_doone

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 13:30 - Jul 11 by SonicBoom

Let's be honest we've seen far softer penalties given in the PL every week. Players collapse if they feel "contact" then when a penalty is given against their side they all complain.

I was just going to post the same. TV pundits regularly say, "There was contact" to justify penalties in the Premier League and if one isn't given because a player stays on his feet, they ask "Why didn't he go down?" That is the norm nowadays.

It would be great if we could wind the clock back to an era when nobody dived or screamed but once the South Americans and then the Italians started getting away with it in the 1960s, other teams started having to do the same if they wanted to remain competitive and win games. The North Americans and Scandinavians were the last to succumb but perhaps that's why they never won anything.
[Post edited 11 Jul 14:15]

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 13:44 - Jul 11 with 1366 viewsgrumpy

If that happened out of the penalty area it would have been given as a foul.So yes a penalty.
Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 14:05 - Jul 11 with 1336 viewscocklebreath

I didn’t get it at the time, Neville going mad saying never a penalty. Like someone else said I’ve seen many softer penalties in premier league.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 16:28 - Jul 11 with 1236 viewsWints76

The Dutch seem just as concerned that there was a handball by Saka which played the ball on to Kane.

I didn't think it was a pen, but also I don't care on this occasion
Login to get fewer ads

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 19:34 - Jul 11 with 1144 viewssledger

it 100% wasnt a penalty the dutch player is trying to block the shot as he has to,the referee pundit women said it wouldnt even be reviewed,how wrong she was,if that was given against england we would be going ape
Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 08:09 - Jul 12 with 977 viewskentsouthampton

Anywhere else on the pitch it's a foul and a yellow card, if you go for the ball and miss and take out the player it's a foul as simple as, it was also reckless, I don't even know why anyone's arguing unless it's just sheer pedantry.
Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 08:54 - Jul 12 with 951 viewssaintwizzler

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 09:36 - Jul 12 with 927 viewskernow

The only opinions that count are those of the match officials.
Ronald Koeman had nothing to say in his post match interview.
It was a penalty and we won, I don’t care about anything else.
Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 19:22 - Jul 12 with 819 viewsDorsetIan

Just more VAR nonsense. Never a pen in a million years.

VAR is so bad it's just boring to talk about it now.

And what's worse is that it just keeps going. It was obvious is was sh!t years ago, but here it still is.

This and other things are sucking football dry.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 19:34 - Jul 13 with 659 viewsJellybaby

Unbelievably bad decision. Embarrassing to equalise like that.

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 20:20 - Jul 13 with 651 viewssaintwizzler

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 19:34 - Jul 13 by Jellybaby

Unbelievably bad decision. Embarrassing to equalise like that.

Lolcano.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 08:53 - Jul 14 with 522 viewsbendybob

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 20:20 - Jul 13 by saintwizzler

Lolcano.

We have been on the receiving end of wrong decisions in the past. “The Hand of God” springs to mind. So I think we will take that!
Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 10:17 - Jul 14 with 484 viewsJellybaby

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 08:53 - Jul 14 by bendybob

We have been on the receiving end of wrong decisions in the past. “The Hand of God” springs to mind. So I think we will take that!

VAR was set up to supposedly end injustices like the "hand of God" not to create new ones.

Let's hope England can win tonight on their own terms without the help of VAR. Who is going to be the first one to say "I don't care how we win mate?"

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

Divided opinions - should England have had that penalty v Netherlands? on 12:25 - Jul 14 with 465 viewsdirk_doone

I wouldn't turn my nose up at another one like it tonight.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024