Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is our support so poor? 18:12 - Oct 28 with 9456 viewsPlankton

Ipswich, population 136000 had almost 30000 watching them today.
Huddersfield, similar sized small town surrounded by buffet clubs, regularly get better support.
Why aren't we sold out every home game?
Why is our support so poor? on 16:41 - Oct 29 with 1685 viewsonehunglow

Why is our support so poor? on 15:58 - Oct 29 by Wingstandwood

Other teams have had the advantage of growing their home support, because they had larger stadiums.

When the Swans were in the Premier League the Liberty Stadium had an extremely small capacity especially after the away ticket allocation was factored in. What was it now? 18,000 -19,000-ish?

So the club was at a major disadvantage when it came to attracting new supporters who could have turned up to watch Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal etc to get introduced to something that could have ended up with decades of future support.

Fair point .
I was always upset at the way we lowered the capacity of the Liberty
We were told 20000 would be more than enough
Shite

Newcastle ,Sunderland had years of being utter garbage but the fans continued to turn up rather than bailing out to follow @ team 200 miles away .
Both these cities have fans that are absolutely nutcase mad of their teams .

When the Toon were crap the fans didn’t exactly hold back such is their passion . They will not countenance anything less that the best,no matter what .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Why is our support so poor? on 17:11 - Oct 29 with 1632 viewsWingstandwood

Why is our support so poor? on 16:41 - Oct 29 by onehunglow

Fair point .
I was always upset at the way we lowered the capacity of the Liberty
We were told 20000 would be more than enough
Shite

Newcastle ,Sunderland had years of being utter garbage but the fans continued to turn up rather than bailing out to follow @ team 200 miles away .
Both these cities have fans that are absolutely nutcase mad of their teams .

When the Toon were crap the fans didn’t exactly hold back such is their passion . They will not countenance anything less that the best,no matter what .

Newcastle and Sunderland supporters are worlds apart, I have often pondered what attendances they would be getting if they respective locations had the population equivalent of Birmingham or Manchester etc...... 80,000+ with ease?

Argus!

Why is our support so poor? on 18:06 - Oct 29 with 1595 viewsonehunglow

Why is our support so poor? on 17:11 - Oct 29 by Wingstandwood

Newcastle and Sunderland supporters are worlds apart, I have often pondered what attendances they would be getting if they respective locations had the population equivalent of Birmingham or Manchester etc...... 80,000+ with ease?

They are
Ok so Newcastle has the whole of Northumberland and Sunderland the county of DurhM

They have high expectations of players and aren’t slow in “ slagging off” anyone they feel deserves it .
I know the area quite well and know of nobody remotely interested in following Man Utd ,for example.
It’s the Toon or nowt.

Why is our support so poor? on 18:25 - Oct 29 with 1588 viewsSullutaCreturned

Why is our support so poor? on 16:27 - Oct 29 by angryjack

A lot of it is down to pubs closing as well the amount of teams that were run from pubs that have now gone and not had a base to run from

I don't think so, the pubs hadn't really started shutting down until after the local league fell away.

We had a Sunday league team in Sandfields for years and we moved to several different pubs, we had plenty of choice, played out of the Clarence, the Gari, The Wyndham/new Wyndham,The Builders, I think there were others.

The pubs have been shutting down this last 10-15 years, Swansea league had been falling away since before I stopped playing in 2007.
Why is our support so poor? on 18:34 - Oct 29 with 1585 viewsjack247

Why is our support so poor? on 18:06 - Oct 29 by onehunglow

They are
Ok so Newcastle has the whole of Northumberland and Sunderland the county of DurhM

They have high expectations of players and aren’t slow in “ slagging off” anyone they feel deserves it .
I know the area quite well and know of nobody remotely interested in following Man Utd ,for example.
It’s the Toon or nowt.

Newcastle, Sunderland, Norwich, maybe Ipswich have always been like that. The football club is a bigger part of the city and the community than it is in most places.

Walking round Swansea, you’ll see far more people in Swans tops/jackets etc than any other club. Far less Liverpool and Man Utd than there were 20 years ago.
Why is our support so poor? on 19:48 - Oct 29 with 1535 viewsonehunglow

Why is our support so poor? on 18:34 - Oct 29 by jack247

Newcastle, Sunderland, Norwich, maybe Ipswich have always been like that. The football club is a bigger part of the city and the community than it is in most places.

Walking round Swansea, you’ll see far more people in Swans tops/jackets etc than any other club. Far less Liverpool and Man Utd than there were 20 years ago.

Good.

I suggest you take an air bnb in Northumberland .
You will smell get the passion from Lindisfarne

Why is our support so poor? on 19:58 - Oct 29 with 1528 viewsangryjack

Why is our support so poor? on 18:25 - Oct 29 by SullutaCreturned

I don't think so, the pubs hadn't really started shutting down until after the local league fell away.

We had a Sunday league team in Sandfields for years and we moved to several different pubs, we had plenty of choice, played out of the Clarence, the Gari, The Wyndham/new Wyndham,The Builders, I think there were others.

The pubs have been shutting down this last 10-15 years, Swansea league had been falling away since before I stopped playing in 2007.

I remember the fowler in class,their team stopped because it shut the star fforestfach, penplas the dillwyn ivories fforestfach jthe old prince ust a few teams finished because the pubs shut
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 19:59]
Why is our support so poor? on 19:59 - Oct 29 with 1526 viewsjack247

Why is our support so poor? on 19:48 - Oct 29 by onehunglow

Good.

I suggest you take an air bnb in Northumberland .
You will smell get the passion from Lindisfarne

As it happens, I’ve probably been to Newcastle more than you’ve been to Swansea in the last decade.

Not for a second disputing their passion. They are the exception, not the norm.
Login to get fewer ads

Why is our support so poor? on 20:05 - Oct 29 with 1514 viewsonehunglow

Why is our support so poor? on 19:59 - Oct 29 by jack247

As it happens, I’ve probably been to Newcastle more than you’ve been to Swansea in the last decade.

Not for a second disputing their passion. They are the exception, not the norm.

Not sure you’ve been stalking me
Have you been to the Farne islands

Long trip from Swansea innit?

Why is our support so poor? on 20:10 - Oct 29 with 1503 viewsjack247

Why is our support so poor? on 20:05 - Oct 29 by onehunglow

Not sure you’ve been stalking me
Have you been to the Farne islands

Long trip from Swansea innit?

No with work. No sightseeing unless you count the Tyne Bridge! City centre up one day back the next jobs. Flights from Cardiff
Why is our support so poor? on 21:23 - Oct 29 with 1465 viewsbuilthjack

A bit of decent marketing and we would fill those extra couple of thousand seats.
The Swans seem to expect people to come to them. That’s ok if you are high in the league and playing good football. They need to think outside the box.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Why is our support so poor? on 21:50 - Oct 29 with 1452 viewsFireboy2

Why is our support so poor? on 21:23 - Oct 29 by builthjack

A bit of decent marketing and we would fill those extra couple of thousand seats.
The Swans seem to expect people to come to them. That’s ok if you are high in the league and playing good football. They need to think outside the box.

They should do an adult and child tickets for let's say £25, that would attract a few but I suspect a few season ticket holders would moan, if I was a ST holder it wouldn't bother me and I suspect it wouldn't bother you.
Why is our support so poor? on 22:24 - Oct 29 with 1432 viewsbuilthjack

Why is our support so poor? on 21:50 - Oct 29 by Fireboy2

They should do an adult and child tickets for let's say £25, that would attract a few but I suspect a few season ticket holders would moan, if I was a ST holder it wouldn't bother me and I suspect it wouldn't bother you.

I would go with say, the North West corner, which is mostly empty these days. Sell 1000 tickets to families.
£15 per adult, £5 per kid.

Oh, and get a cash desk for on the day sales. Some can only afford to pay in cash.

That’s just for starters.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Why is our support so poor? on 08:51 - Oct 30 with 1361 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Not sure why people keep comparing Swansea with Ipswich. The population of the county of Suffolk is 800,000 the population of the county of Swanses is 400,000 hardly surprising that Ipswich get twice our crowd especially given the excellent rail network in Suffolk. Ipswich has also always attracted fans from the Colchester area which is barely 20 miles away.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Why is our support so poor? on 09:37 - Oct 30 with 1354 viewsonehunglow

Why is our support so poor? on 08:51 - Oct 30 by felixstowe_jack

Not sure why people keep comparing Swansea with Ipswich. The population of the county of Suffolk is 800,000 the population of the county of Swanses is 400,000 hardly surprising that Ipswich get twice our crowd especially given the excellent rail network in Suffolk. Ipswich has also always attracted fans from the Colchester area which is barely 20 miles away.

Don’t want to get nasty again but it’s because Ipswich has,for its size,outstanding loyal support.
They stuck with the club in numbers and the same us true with Sunderland and Portsmouth .

Why is our support so poor? on 11:43 - Oct 30 with 1323 viewsjack247

Why is our support so poor? on 08:51 - Oct 30 by felixstowe_jack

People of a certain mindset will always seek examples that paint the club/players/city/fanbase in the worst possible light. They’ll disguise it as ambition despite rarely attending themselves.

Ipswich punch above their weight support wise, as do a handful of other clubs.

As I said earlier in the thread, Plymouth are the best comparison. Similar sized city, same sort of distance from anywhere (except Cardiff) big, but poorly populated catchment area to the West of both clubs.

I don’t think our attendances are anything to be particularly proud of or embarrassed by.
Why is our support so poor? on 12:57 - Oct 30 with 1301 viewsDr_Winston

Why is our support so poor? on 11:43 - Oct 30 by jack247

People of a certain mindset will always seek examples that paint the club/players/city/fanbase in the worst possible light. They’ll disguise it as ambition despite rarely attending themselves.

Ipswich punch above their weight support wise, as do a handful of other clubs.

As I said earlier in the thread, Plymouth are the best comparison. Similar sized city, same sort of distance from anywhere (except Cardiff) big, but poorly populated catchment area to the West of both clubs.

I don’t think our attendances are anything to be particularly proud of or embarrassed by.

Also worth noting that after a recent promotion Plymouth are on a bit of a high so will naturally have done better selling ST's than us, who are on anything but a high after the last two years.

We seem to be doing quite well on the whole. The two most disappointing recent attendances would have been Norwich and Watford, both midweek games which would affect those fans travelling to the game, both ours based further afield and the away contingent.

Hard not to imagine Norwich especially bringing considerably more with them if it had been a Saturday match.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Why is our support so poor? on 13:50 - Oct 30 with 1260 viewsKeithHaynes

Why is our support so poor? on 12:57 - Oct 30 by Dr_Winston

Also worth noting that after a recent promotion Plymouth are on a bit of a high so will naturally have done better selling ST's than us, who are on anything but a high after the last two years.

We seem to be doing quite well on the whole. The two most disappointing recent attendances would have been Norwich and Watford, both midweek games which would affect those fans travelling to the game, both ours based further afield and the away contingent.

Hard not to imagine Norwich especially bringing considerably more with them if it had been a Saturday match.

Size of ground is a factor. Home Park is smaller than the Swansea.Com
Had the Swans had a bigger capacity it would have sold out numerous games by thousands more in the premier league.

Ipswich away is always a benchmark for real support.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Why is our support so poor? on 16:46 - Oct 30 with 1214 viewspencoedjack

Why is our support so poor? on 13:50 - Oct 30 by KeithHaynes

Size of ground is a factor. Home Park is smaller than the Swansea.Com
Had the Swans had a bigger capacity it would have sold out numerous games by thousands more in the premier league.

Ipswich away is always a benchmark for real support.

Ipswich took 3000 to Bristol City midweek a couple of weeks ago, fair play to them that's awesome support even if you have just been promoted & doing well.

I have done both Norwich & Ipswich away & have vowed to never to go again, a very long trip.
Why is our support so poor? on 16:59 - Oct 30 with 1182 viewsonehunglow

Why is our support so poor? on 20:10 - Oct 29 by jack247

No with work. No sightseeing unless you count the Tyne Bridge! City centre up one day back the next jobs. Flights from Cardiff

It starts to the north west of Newcastle
Glorious huge vistas
Some of the coastal former mining towns are grim though
It's my fav part of the country

Why is our support so poor? on 17:04 - Oct 30 with 1172 viewsonehunglow

Why is our support so poor? on 22:28 - Oct 28 by Dr_Winston

Keep stropping because you've been called on your nonsense.

This thread is full of respectful contributions
You alone fall foul
Why?
No need
Stick to topic

You post some good material then revert to shite

Why is our support so poor? on 17:57 - Oct 31 with 1041 viewsjohnlangy

Why is our support so poor? on 14:32 - Oct 29 by SullutaCreturned

The number of times I asked people why they supported Liverpool, Manure etc and was told because the Swans are shite.
I always used to say if every football fan in Swansea supported the Swans we wouldn't be shite but it never worked because they were all just glory hunters.
I wonder how many "new" supporters Man City have acquired these last years of oil ownership?

The size of the poulation isn't a proper barometer, not for me, places with smaller populations get bigger crowds, it's not compulsory to like football or follow your local team.

Success and getting to the EPl is what increases crowds, unfortunately in not extendingthe stadium the then owners missed a trick because if we had a 25-27k stadium and had reduced prices to get bums on seats we may have tied more people in to being Jacks. Without our EPL time we may not even be getting the 16-17k (before away fans) we may be down to 12-13k?
As another measure, look at the family stand these days, it used to be full but as people got older and moved to other areas there have been very few new parents with young kids coming in, they will grow up to be top 4-6 supporters again.

This is correct. The stadium should have been extended when we had the money in the EPL.

The most obvious way to have bigger crowds is to have a stadium that can accommodate them when they want to come. And if you can accommodate them some at least will become real supporters ie keep coming when relegation happens. And that would put the Club in a stronger financial position

When we were in the EPL there were only about 3000 tickets available for general sale after factoring in ST holders and away support. Who is going to travel from distance without a guarantee of being able to buy a ticket ?

If we do get promoted again the builders should be on site the day after the end of the season.
Why is our support so poor? on 18:06 - Oct 31 with 1025 viewsWhiterockin

Why is our support so poor? on 17:57 - Oct 31 by johnlangy

This is correct. The stadium should have been extended when we had the money in the EPL.

The most obvious way to have bigger crowds is to have a stadium that can accommodate them when they want to come. And if you can accommodate them some at least will become real supporters ie keep coming when relegation happens. And that would put the Club in a stronger financial position

When we were in the EPL there were only about 3000 tickets available for general sale after factoring in ST holders and away support. Who is going to travel from distance without a guarantee of being able to buy a ticket ?

If we do get promoted again the builders should be on site the day after the end of the season.

Who is going to travel from distance without a guarantee of being able to buy a ticket ?

Those tickets were sold in advance.
Why is our support so poor? on 18:36 - Oct 31 with 1009 viewsjohnlangy

Why is our support so poor? on 18:06 - Oct 31 by Whiterockin

Who is going to travel from distance without a guarantee of being able to buy a ticket ?

Those tickets were sold in advance.

From what I remember the system was that approx 10% had to be allocated for away supporters, around another 10% for walk up (purchase in the shop) and the rest could be sold as ST's. Which was around 16,400.

Are you saying i'm wrong about the walk up ?

Even if I am having only 3000 available is still far too little so the argument for extending the stadium still stands.
Why is our support so poor? on 18:45 - Oct 31 with 986 viewsWhiterockin

Why is our support so poor? on 18:36 - Oct 31 by johnlangy

From what I remember the system was that approx 10% had to be allocated for away supporters, around another 10% for walk up (purchase in the shop) and the rest could be sold as ST's. Which was around 16,400.

Are you saying i'm wrong about the walk up ?

Even if I am having only 3000 available is still far too little so the argument for extending the stadium still stands.

You are right. I'm just pointing out that the tickets for sale, not away supporters or seasons were sold in advance. There was no need yo travel and worry about a ticket unless you failed to buy in advance.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024