Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grimes Until 2022 17:16 - Nov 7 with 6352 viewsTheKirkyLife

On a roll now!
Grimes Until 2022 on 12:57 - Nov 9 with 1389 viewsjasper_T

Grimes Until 2022 on 10:00 - Nov 9 by monmouth

'Potter's team' Hmm.

You seem determined to give no praise at all to Graham Potter.

Now I'm not saying that I have any idea who has done what with these players, but whatever the position the effect since Graham Potter came in, the shape we are in now, and our direction of travel looks better than for many years. Irrespective of what went before that wasn't happening until Potter came in. Therefore Potter is part, probably the main part of the regime that has to be kept. Do you agree, or do you know better?

I get the distinct impression that you are spectacularly resentful of Potter getting any praise as you feel it should all be going elsewhere. Tosh Jnr?, Waggy?. Jenkins? Yanks? I'm not saying you are wrong (although I think you must be, given how the whole seascape has changed), as I have no idea who is doing what, I'm just trying to understand your viewpoint. Sometimes you give the impression, to me at least, that you just seem to want to undermine Potter for some reason.

It's a strange leap to assume that because I'm not giving Graham Potter complete credit, I'm "determined to give no praise at all".

Obviously I agree that Potter is an important part of Potter's coaching team.

If anything I'm a bit resentful not of Potter but of the narrative that has been spun around him as this put-upon saviour who has been lied to by the owners and had to work miracles with a threadbare squad (to his enormous credit he's never supported that idea himself, and always been complimentary of the size of his squad and quality of the players available). Fine for a tabloid headline, but our fans should know better. There's a lot of credit to be shared around.

If that's undermining Potter I will continue to do so.
Grimes Until 2022 on 13:00 - Nov 9 with 1387 views34dfgdf54

Grimes Until 2022 on 10:00 - Nov 9 by monmouth

'Potter's team' Hmm.

You seem determined to give no praise at all to Graham Potter.

Now I'm not saying that I have any idea who has done what with these players, but whatever the position the effect since Graham Potter came in, the shape we are in now, and our direction of travel looks better than for many years. Irrespective of what went before that wasn't happening until Potter came in. Therefore Potter is part, probably the main part of the regime that has to be kept. Do you agree, or do you know better?

I get the distinct impression that you are spectacularly resentful of Potter getting any praise as you feel it should all be going elsewhere. Tosh Jnr?, Waggy?. Jenkins? Yanks? I'm not saying you are wrong (although I think you must be, given how the whole seascape has changed), as I have no idea who is doing what, I'm just trying to understand your viewpoint. Sometimes you give the impression, to me at least, that you just seem to want to undermine Potter for some reason.

Jasper is Cameron Toshack and I claim my £5

Seriously though, Jasper is a good poster and knows his football, but he definitely has something against Potter and I don’t get why. Always first on here to chuck some stick out after a loss and will no doubt be the same tomorrow if we lose.
Grimes Until 2022 on 13:06 - Nov 9 with 1380 viewsjasper_T

Grimes Until 2022 on 13:00 - Nov 9 by 34dfgdf54

Jasper is Cameron Toshack and I claim my £5

Seriously though, Jasper is a good poster and knows his football, but he definitely has something against Potter and I don’t get why. Always first on here to chuck some stick out after a loss and will no doubt be the same tomorrow if we lose.

I don't think I've been any more eager to stick the boot into Potter for his managerial mistakes than I was Carvalhal or Clement. If we lose or draw tomorrow because Nordfeldt fcks up or he brings McKay on at centreback I'll "chuck some stick out" for sure, and I won't be alone.

I had a soft spot for Guidolin, though.
Grimes Until 2022 on 14:19 - Nov 9 with 1348 viewsmonmouth

Grimes Until 2022 on 12:57 - Nov 9 by jasper_T

It's a strange leap to assume that because I'm not giving Graham Potter complete credit, I'm "determined to give no praise at all".

Obviously I agree that Potter is an important part of Potter's coaching team.

If anything I'm a bit resentful not of Potter but of the narrative that has been spun around him as this put-upon saviour who has been lied to by the owners and had to work miracles with a threadbare squad (to his enormous credit he's never supported that idea himself, and always been complimentary of the size of his squad and quality of the players available). Fine for a tabloid headline, but our fans should know better. There's a lot of credit to be shared around.

If that's undermining Potter I will continue to do so.

That's fair. I'm not a fan of the 'cult' approach myself. We've seen enough to give it at least 18 months before really judging. Both Clement and Carvalhal started well enough.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Grimes Until 2022 on 15:38 - Nov 9 with 1329 viewsjasper_T

Grimes Until 2022 on 09:43 - Nov 9 by jackrmee

I get your point and you made it well, but I don't think any of these players would be performing like this under any manager. They might have had decent seasons individually at various levels last year, but now they are playing together, with fluidity and guile.

I don't believe Grimes has had special treatment, as I think GP wanted to try many players in different positions.
He has done that to a fantastic degree.

Celina has been tried in a few positions. I think GP has found his best.
I remember Mick McCarthy saying on the radio during one of Swans games this year that GP should play him on the left wing, as that's definitely his best position.

Didn't McBurnie play on the wing fo Barnsley most of the time?
Possibly agree with you here for now, but he's scored 7 already and is only going to improve imo with some help up there.

Your knowledge on the u23s is better than mine, but do you really think Joe and DJ would have progressed so quickly under a different manager? Did you really see them at the point they are now when you were watching them last season? Did you think it would happen so quick?

“Ever since I arrived at the club I’ve had a good connection with Oli,” said the former Hull youngster. “It started in the under-23s and luckily we’ve continued it into the first team."

Potter hasn't just inherited players who had decent seasons individually, a core of the team has pre-existing relationships to build from. When you're aiming to play aggressive passing football, understanding between players is vital, and the young players having the most success stepping up have that.

McBurnie, Fulton, DJ, Connor, Joe & Byers all played a lot of football together in successful attacking sides. It's not a coincidence that by comparison Asoro has looked completely lost, despite being just as impressive in U23s football as any of them, and having been on Potter's radar for a few years.

Again, Grimes is an outlier, as he only played maybe half a dozen old U21s games, back before McBurnie arrived and when DJ was an U18s player only starting to get minutes off the bench.

I'm on record as saying "I don't see the big fuss" about Joe in the past. I'm not the best judge when it comes to players stepping up (Connor flew completely under my radar until his Yeovil loan, while I was waiting for Liam Shephard to become a top right back). But I had very high hopes for DJ when he went on loan to Shrewsbury last season, as he was sensational the season before. As Joe's dad said on Twitter the other day, Dan's been a top player for two years, he's just needed the opportunity.
Grimes Until 2022 on 23:01 - Nov 9 with 1266 viewsjackrmee

Grimes Until 2022 on 15:38 - Nov 9 by jasper_T

“Ever since I arrived at the club I’ve had a good connection with Oli,” said the former Hull youngster. “It started in the under-23s and luckily we’ve continued it into the first team."

Potter hasn't just inherited players who had decent seasons individually, a core of the team has pre-existing relationships to build from. When you're aiming to play aggressive passing football, understanding between players is vital, and the young players having the most success stepping up have that.

McBurnie, Fulton, DJ, Connor, Joe & Byers all played a lot of football together in successful attacking sides. It's not a coincidence that by comparison Asoro has looked completely lost, despite being just as impressive in U23s football as any of them, and having been on Potter's radar for a few years.

Again, Grimes is an outlier, as he only played maybe half a dozen old U21s games, back before McBurnie arrived and when DJ was an U18s player only starting to get minutes off the bench.

I'm on record as saying "I don't see the big fuss" about Joe in the past. I'm not the best judge when it comes to players stepping up (Connor flew completely under my radar until his Yeovil loan, while I was waiting for Liam Shephard to become a top right back). But I had very high hopes for DJ when he went on loan to Shrewsbury last season, as he was sensational the season before. As Joe's dad said on Twitter the other day, Dan's been a top player for two years, he's just needed the opportunity.

Good answer.
I'm definitely going to be going to watch more u23 games this season.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Grimes Until 2022 on 23:23 - Nov 9 with 1260 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Grimes Until 2022 on 23:01 - Nov 9 by jackrmee

Good answer.
I'm definitely going to be going to watch more u23 games this season.

They beat Spurs away the other day and drew with Arenal before that. . After losing the spine of the side to the first team that's a remarkable achievement. Cameron Toshack and Gary Richards - take a massive bow

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Grimes Until 2022 on 07:59 - Nov 10 with 1229 viewsjackrmee

Grimes Until 2022 on 23:23 - Nov 9 by Brynmill_Jack

They beat Spurs away the other day and drew with Arenal before that. . After losing the spine of the side to the first team that's a remarkable achievement. Cameron Toshack and Gary Richards - take a massive bow

I'm in uni til 3ish every Saturday, so can't watch many games, but I think there's one coming up on a Friday next week, so gonna av a butchers like

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024