Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Doughty 17:03 - Jan 15 with 8541 viewsNorthernr

Gone to Swindon on loan.

Prepare the boiling oil.
Doughty on 08:25 - Jan 16 with 1745 viewsdaveB

Doughty on 08:20 - Jan 16 by johncharles

Sir Les is getting the blame because no one wants to blame Hasselbaink and yet you insist that JFH is picking the team.
No, I'm not saying he has to go just that so far he's not been very good. No better than Ramsey and not as good as Warnock. And no, it's not being negative. Not winning in seven games is negative. Well it's not success is it ?

your right it's not been very good but it wasn't very good before JFH arrived and wasn't very good before Ferdinand arrived so just not sure why we are looking for a scapegoat all the time. Ferdinand is trying to fix the problems but won't happen ovenight will take years
Doughty on 08:34 - Jan 16 with 1736 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Doughty on 08:24 - Jan 16 by daveB

He's not responsible for picking the team either

DaveB, what is Ferdinand responsible for then?
We need clear roles & responsibilities for all as there seems to be massive duplication of roles (and then no accountability for performance whether good or bad)

We are going backwards and are at some risk of going down.

Sorry if I am not filled with gladness at the performance of the director of football.

I recall when the likes of Venables came in we all knew he was improving things
Same with others like Warnock (around 2009-10)
Ferdinand has been here for over a year and we are only getting worse.
Doughty on 08:34 - Jan 16 with 1736 viewsjohncharles

Doughty on 08:25 - Jan 16 by daveB

your right it's not been very good but it wasn't very good before JFH arrived and wasn't very good before Ferdinand arrived so just not sure why we are looking for a scapegoat all the time. Ferdinand is trying to fix the problems but won't happen ovenight will take years

As I said, he's no better than Ramsey. Hasselbaink was brought in as an improvement on Ramsey. Pointing out that there hasn't been an improvement is not making him a scapegoat.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2016 8:36]

Strong and stable my arse.

Doughty on 09:28 - Jan 16 with 1687 viewsbaz_qpr

Luongo or Doughty?

When you've answered that question then the other going on loan for a month to actually play and be match fit is probably sensible given they are competing for the same position with Faurlin and Tosser
Doughty on 09:30 - Jan 16 with 1686 viewsdaveB

Doughty on 08:34 - Jan 16 by superhoopdownunder

DaveB, what is Ferdinand responsible for then?
We need clear roles & responsibilities for all as there seems to be massive duplication of roles (and then no accountability for performance whether good or bad)

We are going backwards and are at some risk of going down.

Sorry if I am not filled with gladness at the performance of the director of football.

I recall when the likes of Venables came in we all knew he was improving things
Same with others like Warnock (around 2009-10)
Ferdinand has been here for over a year and we are only getting worse.

Comparing him to managers is pointless, it's a different role. A director of football is not going to have an instant impact as he's not managing the first team

His role has ben explained a million times but he gets judged on other things.

He is looking to improve the academy and create a pathway to the first team, that takes a while but has started as young players have played in the last year, not every week but they have featured. He has brought in more scouts for first team level and more importantly academy level so we can find new talent in the local area, something we haven't done for a decade before he took this role. He has brought in more coaches for the academy to try and improve the young players we have, again that won't happen over night.

For buying players for the first team he has used the scouting network he has put in place to try and find younger hungrier talent and has done pretty well on that front. He's got some wrong but I thought we did pretty well last summer.

The idea behind the role is the manager will go to him and say I need a right back, Ferdinand will then have a list of players they have scouted for that position that fits the budget plus know if we have someone in the youth team the manager could use. The manager then says I want this one off the list or none of them but I want this player instead, the aim is to make that scenario unlikely as we have scouted well enough that the best options are given to the manager.

This way when you change managers you don't have to change the entire scouting team who have been sacked with the manager, it's all in place.

Basically it's what Southampton and Swansea do and we rave about saying why don't we do that. Those clubs struggled for a while after they put this in place as well but had the patience to see it through and didn't have nonsense thrown at them like being judged on what colour the coaches are or first team results.
Doughty on 09:31 - Jan 16 with 1685 viewsdaveB

Doughty on 08:34 - Jan 16 by johncharles

As I said, he's no better than Ramsey. Hasselbaink was brought in as an improvement on Ramsey. Pointing out that there hasn't been an improvement is not making him a scapegoat.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2016 8:36]

too early to tell if he's better or worse at the moment, hopefully he comes good
Doughty on 09:50 - Jan 16 with 1669 viewsbaz_qpr

Doughty on 09:30 - Jan 16 by daveB

Comparing him to managers is pointless, it's a different role. A director of football is not going to have an instant impact as he's not managing the first team

His role has ben explained a million times but he gets judged on other things.

He is looking to improve the academy and create a pathway to the first team, that takes a while but has started as young players have played in the last year, not every week but they have featured. He has brought in more scouts for first team level and more importantly academy level so we can find new talent in the local area, something we haven't done for a decade before he took this role. He has brought in more coaches for the academy to try and improve the young players we have, again that won't happen over night.

For buying players for the first team he has used the scouting network he has put in place to try and find younger hungrier talent and has done pretty well on that front. He's got some wrong but I thought we did pretty well last summer.

The idea behind the role is the manager will go to him and say I need a right back, Ferdinand will then have a list of players they have scouted for that position that fits the budget plus know if we have someone in the youth team the manager could use. The manager then says I want this one off the list or none of them but I want this player instead, the aim is to make that scenario unlikely as we have scouted well enough that the best options are given to the manager.

This way when you change managers you don't have to change the entire scouting team who have been sacked with the manager, it's all in place.

Basically it's what Southampton and Swansea do and we rave about saying why don't we do that. Those clubs struggled for a while after they put this in place as well but had the patience to see it through and didn't have nonsense thrown at them like being judged on what colour the coaches are or first team results.

Its also what Newcastle and Villa have done so its not that clear cut. I think when when you spend nye on 8m in a transfer window and only a freebie who you brought in as squad filler has stepped up and managed to hold down a place you've not done that well. We don't seem to have brought in players for particular roles either.
Doughty on 10:01 - Jan 16 with 1661 viewsWatford_Ranger

Doughty on 09:28 - Jan 16 by baz_qpr

Luongo or Doughty?

When you've answered that question then the other going on loan for a month to actually play and be match fit is probably sensible given they are competing for the same position with Faurlin and Tosser

Personally I'd play both. I don't see why either would be below Henry or Toszer and Sandro plays when he fancies. Fer plays well once every couple of months if we're lucky.
Login to get fewer ads

Doughty on 10:22 - Jan 16 with 1633 viewsterryb

Doughty on 05:50 - Jan 16 by vegasranger

We can't play the youngsters, they are just not good enough. The under 18" s are bottom of their division with a - 28 goal difference. The under 21's have picked up a bit and are 4th but have had some terrible results. Petrasso looks they only one with a bit of class but he looks a bit lightweight. A real training complex is a priority. The 8 million we wasted on Sandro would have paid for it !!

We can play our younger players because most of the senior players ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

The worst senario is that we would be in the same position in the Championship as we currently are.
Doughty on 10:32 - Jan 16 with 1620 viewsBlue_Castello

Doughty on 09:50 - Jan 16 by baz_qpr

Its also what Newcastle and Villa have done so its not that clear cut. I think when when you spend nye on 8m in a transfer window and only a freebie who you brought in as squad filler has stepped up and managed to hold down a place you've not done that well. We don't seem to have brought in players for particular roles either.

It's all about opinions my gut feeling is the Southampton model is the one we should be following so we are at least going in the right direction.

As for the Summer transfer business I don't think it's anywhere near as bad a picture as you keep painting. The bulk of the money was spent on Chery, Luongo, Gladwin and Smithies and it's true none of those players are first choice at the moment.

That said I can see Luongo, Smithies and Chery being first choice in their positions next season, they are all good players capable of playing at Championship level. I'm not convinced that Gladwin will make the step up and people asking for him to be included at the moment may not have even seen him play.
JFH needs some time to build a balanced squad because you are right there is too much duplication in the squad and as Ian Holloway has just said in the press we are missing a couple of genuine Championship quality hard working midfield players who will give us 90 plus minutes of football in a JFH pressing style of game, in other words shipping out Henry, Tosser and Sandro for starters.

I know your argument of the 4-2-3-1 style stops us playing Luongo regularly but as long as we hold onto him in the Summer then getting rid of the hangers on, contract terminations and trimming the wage bill should give us the chance to make him part of the first eleven.

In summary I don't think the transfer business was all bad, obviously Hall is the real bargain find but some of the others will come good and the rest will either go back to their owns clubs or be encouraged to move on.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2016 10:34]
Doughty on 11:10 - Jan 16 with 1584 viewsfrancisbowles

He is not in the first team and needs match fitness at a higher level than the U21s.

It is a one month loan so that he can, hopefully, come back and challenge for a first team place.

Seems like a good move to me.
Doughty on 11:27 - Jan 16 with 1568 viewsWatford_Ranger

Doughty on 11:10 - Jan 16 by francisbowles

He is not in the first team and needs match fitness at a higher level than the U21s.

It is a one month loan so that he can, hopefully, come back and challenge for a first team place.

But it begs the question, why is he not in the first team? We'll have some or all of Henry, Toszer and Sandro out there today struggling to cope with a Rotherham midfield on 10% of their salaries.
Doughty on 11:39 - Jan 16 with 1557 viewsjohncharles

Smithies, Luongo, Chery, Doughty, Hall and Gladwin. Good for next season ? They won't stay if we get relegated which will be on the cards if we lose today. If we can't beat teams below us we're in big trouble. If Blackburn win they'll go above us with Rotherham snapping at our heels.
We need these players TODAY.

Strong and stable my arse.

Doughty on 11:54 - Jan 16 with 1524 viewsfrancisbowles

Doughty on 11:27 - Jan 16 by Watford_Ranger

But it begs the question, why is he not in the first team? We'll have some or all of Henry, Toszer and Sandro out there today struggling to cope with a Rotherham midfield on 10% of their salaries.

1. Several managers haven't made him among their first choice midfielders.
2. He needs matches to be ready to take a chance if it comes in February or March
Doughty on 12:56 - Jan 16 with 1489 views100percent

Ramsey to swindon, first choice loan is doughty??
Doughty on 20:37 - Jan 16 with 1450 viewsderbyhoop

Doughty on 11:10 - Jan 16 by francisbowles

Nail on head.

Doughty played at Forest and did OK but he didn't influence the game. When the big guns came back at Blackburn he didn't make the 18. And, probably, neither Sandro nor Gladwin , who are ahead of him.
I suspect Doughty isn't really up to championship quality but regular football may change that opinion.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop and now on Bluesky

Doughty on 02:57 - Jan 17 with 1320 viewsdixiedean

Doughty on 07:18 - Jan 16 by isawqpratwcity

Yes, we need a Director of Football. He is a key part of multi-skilled team balanced to bring more rigorous decision-making and stability to the club. It is his position that stops Fernandes from being the final arbiter of football knowledge. If we'd had a DoF and not just the ineffectual Beard interceding between Fernandes and Redknapp and Hughes, maybe we wouldn't have wasted so much money and opportunities.

You may think him a bullshitter, but he is still an employee of the owners, not the fans, and necessarily has to be circumspect in his comments. I believe him to be taking his responsibilities to the club very seriously and, despite his historical inexperience, think him a suitable man for the job. Nor has this season been a stationary target. We have gone from being front-runners with a fall-back position of consolidation, to having promotion being very important, to what is now shaping up to be a relegation battle with FFP being a very serious flank threat.

Right now we've got bigger fish to fry than just 'playing the youngsters'. I'm going to get behind the club as it tries to sort it's mess out.

Thanks isaw. A pleasant change to read a post which isn't just a victor meldrew whinge.even allowing for the nonsense we have to endure ,we must have the world's moaniest supporters.
Doughty on 04:16 - Jan 17 with 1298 viewsisawqpratwcity

Doughty on 02:57 - Jan 17 by dixiedean

Thanks isaw. A pleasant change to read a post which isn't just a victor meldrew whinge.even allowing for the nonsense we have to endure ,we must have the world's moaniest supporters.

Cheers for that. I understand that up until our first goal yesterday, everything was looking decidedly grim, but the club knows now that relegation is more likely than promotion, and that FFP sanctions next season are almost certain. It's going to take a lot of tough decisions to get through this and it may well get worse before it gets better. What else is reasonable except to abandon our pet peeves and get behind the club?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Doughty on 15:09 - Jan 30 with 1118 viewsolderR

Loan extended to end of season.
Is this goodbye to another young player, victim of manager change?
Doughty on 16:17 - Jan 30 with 1002 viewsbosh67

Sandro out on loan, Gladwin out on loan, Henry out of form, Toszer not really good enough, Faurlin unable to play every game to protect his knees. That just leaves Luongo. Sorry but as much as I rate JFH leeting Doughty go out till the end of the season is for want of better words, f*cking stupid.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Doughty on 16:23 - Jan 30 with 994 viewsdistortR

Doughty on 15:09 - Jan 30 by olderR

Loan extended to end of season.
Is this goodbye to another young player, victim of manager change?

Victim of manager change? In reality he is probably not good enough for our level, he is at an age where he needs to be playing and we at last seem to be at least attempting to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Doughty on 16:36 - Jan 30 with 964 viewsbosh67

Doughty on 16:23 - Jan 30 by distortR

Victim of manager change? In reality he is probably not good enough for our level, he is at an age where he needs to be playing and we at last seem to be at least attempting to sort the wheat from the chaff.

But Doughty has been excellent in every game he has played in?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Doughty on 16:50 - Jan 30 with 928 viewsdistortR

Doughty on 16:36 - Jan 30 by bosh67

But Doughty has been excellent in every game he has played in?

Game of opinions Bosh. You would have seen far more of him than me but from what I've seen, including on loan in the past, i'm not convinced. I trust the management team currently in place, which I haven't been able to say for quite some time. This loan may well benefit his career. And we have got to start being more financially prudent, which means letting go of those players who aren't deemed good enough.

I could be wrong though, I often am.
Doughty on 17:02 - Jan 30 with 908 viewsolderR

Doughty on 16:17 - Jan 30 by bosh67

Sandro out on loan, Gladwin out on loan, Henry out of form, Toszer not really good enough, Faurlin unable to play every game to protect his knees. That just leaves Luongo. Sorry but as much as I rate JFH leeting Doughty go out till the end of the season is for want of better words, f*cking stupid.

I'm with you Bosh, has the mobility Toszer and Henry lack.
Can't see why he didn't get a run in side to see if he is good enough.
Doughty on 17:25 - Jan 30 with 861 viewsdistortR

Doughty on 17:02 - Jan 30 by olderR

I'm with you Bosh, has the mobility Toszer and Henry lack.
Can't see why he didn't get a run in side to see if he is good enough.

Toszer has been a disaster. I would like to have seen doughty get more games, but they obviously don't think he's good enough, so....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024