Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 09:39 - Jan 30 with 19891 viewsineyrewetrust

ROCHDALE FC TODAY LOST A HERO A TRUE HERO AND ONE OF THE NICEST GENTLEMAN IN FOOTBALL AND LIFE.

SLEEP TIGHT REG ALWAYS REMEMBER ARE CHATS X
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 16:02 - Jan 31 with 3421 viewsCanberra_Dale

I think everyone has said it all before me.

Its been a pleasure to read the warmth and affection of the great man from such a civilised fanbase. Reg epitomised Rochdale football club, past, present (under the New Management) and hopefully the future.

We must have some permanent reminder of Sir Reg, so that future generations understand who he was and what he did for Rochdale Football Club

Goodbye shorts, hello football !!

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 19:15 - Jan 31 with 3328 viewsD_Dale

As so many have said, he had a tremendous shot (and he nodded in a few goals). I remember one penalty, at Rotherham, he didn't put away. The ball hit the crossbar with a great smack, then rebounded over the heads of the players surrounding the box almost to the half way line.

But more impressive in a way was his character as a player (no doubt carried over from his personality off the field). I recall no sly tricks of the shirt-pulling, diving and elbowing variety. On the few occasions a ref blew to give a free kick to the other side, it was more likely that Reg's opponent had tried to foul him and had been brushed aside with a shrug of that broad frame. My dad, who saw him more often than I did in those eight seasons between 1964 and 1972, reckoned if Reg had been a bit more aggressive he could have played at the top level. But, as a true gentleman, that wasn't his style.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 21:00 - Jan 31 with 3307 viewspioneer

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 07:41 - Jan 31 by bettridge28

These are so nice to read, Everything written in hear is so accurate of my uncle, gentle giant and someone I looked up to and admired for a long time whether it was his stories or some golfing tips or just scrounging some golf balls from his vast collection he would always help His stories are some of the best I've ever heard and its so nice reading all of these tributes. And I hope that the lads do a job on Saturday and get a great win in his honour.

Any news of funeral arrangements? - I hope the club will be qwell represented whenever and wherever it is.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 21:26 - Jan 31 with 3293 viewssoulboy

I was lucky enough to have seen the great man play and i was just as lucky to have met him a few times, the first as a 14 year old soon after he had helped us gain promotion. He will never be forgotten. R I P Reg. God bless a true legend.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 23:41 - Jan 31 with 3256 viewsAlexF

'Goodbye and sleep tight' to THE Dale legend. Deservedly made the clubs best ever player. The sight of the net ballooning out as a result of one or Reg's rockets is a treasured memory of my childhood.
Alex
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 09:17 - Feb 1 with 3209 viewsSheffdale

When the official site ran a "What Rochdale Means to Me" competition in Dec 2011, my winning entry gave deserved prominence to Reg. I don't think it was ever published, so here it is, in memory of a fine player and gentleman who touched so many.

It’s calling the new kitten, “Jenkins”, when far away from Lancashire hills. It’s refusing my wife’s requests to throw out my scrapbooks of Observer cuttings, charting, in adolescent hand, our first promotion season. It’s the autograph book where Graham Smith’s signature is more treasured than Bobby Charlton’s. It’s still a journey home even though I have lived on the wrong side of the Pennines for umpteen years. It’s being “Big Reg” or Gary Jones when playing football in the garden with my children. It’s stifling shouts of “Up the Dale” when persuaded to accompany a son to watch other apparently superior teams. It’s choosing which Dale shirt to wear in my Yorkshire gym. It’s still hearing Dad’s distinctive cough echoing round the Sandy Lane End every time I go, even though he passed away a generation ago. “I’ll buy us tickets to Wembley if they reach the final.” he used to say when the FA Cup first round draw was made. “Wembley? Been there, done that Dad. And while we lost that day, we did get another promotion a couple of years later playing some great passing football.” So a belated but heartfelt thanks Dad for taking me to Spotland all those years ago. For letting the Dale’s Subbuteo XI always win our living room cup competition and for making those scrapbooks from old wallpaper catalogues. And fifty years on Rochdale AFC still tumbles affectionately through my years.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 20:02 - Feb 1 with 3092 viewsmightydale

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 09:17 - Feb 1 by Sheffdale

When the official site ran a "What Rochdale Means to Me" competition in Dec 2011, my winning entry gave deserved prominence to Reg. I don't think it was ever published, so here it is, in memory of a fine player and gentleman who touched so many.

It’s calling the new kitten, “Jenkins”, when far away from Lancashire hills. It’s refusing my wife’s requests to throw out my scrapbooks of Observer cuttings, charting, in adolescent hand, our first promotion season. It’s the autograph book where Graham Smith’s signature is more treasured than Bobby Charlton’s. It’s still a journey home even though I have lived on the wrong side of the Pennines for umpteen years. It’s being “Big Reg” or Gary Jones when playing football in the garden with my children. It’s stifling shouts of “Up the Dale” when persuaded to accompany a son to watch other apparently superior teams. It’s choosing which Dale shirt to wear in my Yorkshire gym. It’s still hearing Dad’s distinctive cough echoing round the Sandy Lane End every time I go, even though he passed away a generation ago. “I’ll buy us tickets to Wembley if they reach the final.” he used to say when the FA Cup first round draw was made. “Wembley? Been there, done that Dad. And while we lost that day, we did get another promotion a couple of years later playing some great passing football.” So a belated but heartfelt thanks Dad for taking me to Spotland all those years ago. For letting the Dale’s Subbuteo XI always win our living room cup competition and for making those scrapbooks from old wallpaper catalogues. And fifty years on Rochdale AFC still tumbles affectionately through my years.

REST IN PEACE REG

I had a dream about a team were
NO 1 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 2 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 3 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 4 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 5 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 6 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 7 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 8 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 9 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 10 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 11 was Reggie Jenkins

WE ALL LIVE IN A REGGIE WONDER LAND,A REGGIE REGGIE WONDER LAND,A REGGIE WONDER LAND

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 20:07 - Feb 1 with 3089 viewsVespaDale

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 20:02 - Feb 1 by mightydale

REST IN PEACE REG

I had a dream about a team were
NO 1 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 2 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 3 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 4 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 5 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 6 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 7 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 8 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 9 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 10 was Reggie Jenkins and
NO 11 was Reggie Jenkins

WE ALL LIVE IN A REGGIE WONDER LAND,A REGGIE REGGIE WONDER LAND,A REGGIE WONDER LAND

Whos number 5??
Login to get fewer ads

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 20:53 - Feb 2 with 2944 viewsDiddyDave

Does anybody know what Reg did after he retired as I know he stayed on in Rochdale for quite a while? Also,I read somewhere that he was signed for Rochdale by the then manager,Tony Collins,is he still alive,does anybody know?
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 01:13 - Feb 3 with 2911 viewsTVOS1907

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 20:53 - Feb 2 by DiddyDave

Does anybody know what Reg did after he retired as I know he stayed on in Rochdale for quite a while? Also,I read somewhere that he was signed for Rochdale by the then manager,Tony Collins,is he still alive,does anybody know?

I believe he is.

Reg article from today's Ob: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/down-to-eart

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 14:15 - Feb 3 with 2846 viewsBigKindo

I thought that Reg went to work in the Devonport naval dockyard?

Tony Collins I believe is 87 years old this March. If anybody out there 'edits' Wikipedia maybe they could add under the Rochdale FC page that Tony Collins was the first ever black manager in the English Football League.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 14:24 - Feb 3 with 2844 viewsDorsetDale

As this thread is being printed out I'd like to point out the excellently adhered to minutes applause all round the ground with special mention for the impeccable attitude shown by the Spireites every one of them stood loudly clapping.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 11:35 - Feb 4 with 2760 viewsYorkshire_Dale

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 14:24 - Feb 3 by DorsetDale

As this thread is being printed out I'd like to point out the excellently adhered to minutes applause all round the ground with special mention for the impeccable attitude shown by the Spireites every one of them stood loudly clapping.

Tannoy man's delivery was also top notch....well done that man.

A real good tribute to a passing hero.

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 15:02 - Feb 4 with 2727 viewsarchdale

Another Big Reg Story. On a wet Monday night at Mansfield in November 1969 Dale were trailing to an early goal when, in about the 85th minute, Billy Rudd went down in the box. Reg placed the ball on the spot and as he looked up he found Dave Hollins, the Mansfield keeper, standing next to him. The pair indulged themseves in a lengthy conversation at the end of which they shook hands.
It later transpired that Hollins had bet Reg half a crown that he wouldn't score.
Needless to say, Hollins went home half a crown lighter.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 16:42 - Feb 4 with 2714 viewspioneer

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 15:02 - Feb 4 by archdale

Another Big Reg Story. On a wet Monday night at Mansfield in November 1969 Dale were trailing to an early goal when, in about the 85th minute, Billy Rudd went down in the box. Reg placed the ball on the spot and as he looked up he found Dave Hollins, the Mansfield keeper, standing next to him. The pair indulged themseves in a lengthy conversation at the end of which they shook hands.
It later transpired that Hollins had bet Reg half a crown that he wouldn't score.
Needless to say, Hollins went home half a crown lighter.

And the win that night took us to the top of the third division - equalling our highest ever league standing.

So many memories.. . . . .
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 21:48 - Feb 21 with 2595 viewsD_Dale

A nice appreciation (even if the author does cast doubt on Reg's net-breaking ability): http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/reg-jenkins-rochdales-most-prolific
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 19:25 - Feb 22 with 2503 viewspioneer

Did news of funeral arrangements ever get circulated?
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 19:32 - Feb 22 with 2494 views100notout

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 19:25 - Feb 22 by pioneer

Did news of funeral arrangements ever get circulated?

Says in th'Observer that funeral was today - private family funeral with a memorial service later - representatives from Dale went apparently

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 19:37 - Feb 22 with 2491 viewsSuddenLad

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 19:32 - Feb 22 by 100notout

Says in th'Observer that funeral was today - private family funeral with a memorial service later - representatives from Dale went apparently

It was reported on 'fishul site some days ago. As you say, private funeral first, followed by memorial service at 2.30pm.

I would be very, very surprised (and disappointed) if Dale weren't represented.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024