Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFR - Smiths of Castleton 09:32 - Oct 24 with 842 viewsDalenet

An end of an era - Smiths bakery of Castleton (and Heywood) will close on 2nd November. The business has been up for sale to allow the owner to retire for sometime - but with no buyer they are to close. With Hiltons in Norden closing after Andrews death, this is another traditional business that makes pretty good pies and egg custard tarts that will have fallen by the wayside. I wish the staff all the best. Always a pre-game ritual for us....not sure what to do now for lunch pies.
NFR - Smiths of Castleton on 09:42 - Oct 24 with 804 viewsEllDale

Dear me. Sad news. When I worked in Castleton a few years ago a pie from Smiths was a must on most dinner times.
NFR - Smiths of Castleton on 10:17 - Oct 24 with 715 viewsjudd

"Pretty good..."

Understatement of the century.

Those meat pies are to die for.

I did see an interested party in the Heywood shop recently but I got the impression he was just after the properties.

Such a shame.

Poll: What is it to be then?

NFR - Smiths of Castleton on 10:36 - Oct 24 with 680 viewsTalkingSutty

Good pie shop, they sell Smiths pies at the Village Bakery in Littleborough. Fortunately we still have Tattersalls Bakery in Wardle, their pies/ muffins/ custards/ bread are legendary. Pies are out of the oven for 1130am every morning. I was born on Clough Street adjacent to the shop in 1964 and apparently had my first meat pie when i was two years old, i've been visiting the Bakery ever since. Give it a try if you're ever in the area.

RIP Smiths Bakery.
NFR - Smiths of Castleton on 11:18 - Oct 24 with 633 viewsTVOS1907

NFR - Smiths of Castleton on 10:36 - Oct 24 by TalkingSutty

Good pie shop, they sell Smiths pies at the Village Bakery in Littleborough. Fortunately we still have Tattersalls Bakery in Wardle, their pies/ muffins/ custards/ bread are legendary. Pies are out of the oven for 1130am every morning. I was born on Clough Street adjacent to the shop in 1964 and apparently had my first meat pie when i was two years old, i've been visiting the Bakery ever since. Give it a try if you're ever in the area.

RIP Smiths Bakery.

Village Bakery changed suppliers a few weeks ago, obviously knowing Smith's was closing.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

NFR - Smiths of Castleton on 12:49 - Oct 24 with 471 viewsjudd

RIP Smiths Bakery.

I wonder if we should send the Ogden family some Smiths meat pies...

Poll: What is it to be then?

NFR - Smiths of Castleton on 14:17 - Oct 24 with 343 viewsTalkingSutty

NFR - Smiths of Castleton on 12:49 - Oct 24 by judd

I wonder if we should send the Ogden family some Smiths meat pies...

Not sure if they’ve been weaned on meat growlers. Cameron and his brother are like racing snakes, they won’t have a impoverished poor diet like us, they’ll eat proper food. Sir Peter will have had his fair share though, probably visited the bakery in Castleton when he was younger. Have you got his address, maybe we could send him a dozen as a Xmas present, either from Smiths or Tatts? I should have submitted the question to the Trust to ask when they meet the Directors tonight..it would have probably got filed in the inappropriate bin with my last question though and dismissed.
[Post edited 24 Oct 14:19]
NFR - Smiths of Castleton on 14:56 - Oct 24 with 286 viewsYorkshire_Dale

I worked in Castleton many many years ago when Whipp & Bourne and other Companies were in their hey day and lunch was always a straight route to Smiths.....I think there is a lady Dale supporter who still frequents the Sandy who worked there......big loss to the place. Another sad day for us old uns.
NFR - Smiths of Castleton on 15:01 - Oct 24 with 269 viewsnordenblue

RIP Smiths Bakery.

I grew up on Cornbrook just around the corner and used to hang around with the current owner, he was raised on Heath Rd, guessing it's still owned by Mr Dearnley
Login to get fewer ads

NFR - Smiths of Castleton on 15:50 - Oct 24 with 190 viewsTVOS1907

NFR - Smiths of Castleton on 14:17 - Oct 24 by TalkingSutty

Not sure if they’ve been weaned on meat growlers. Cameron and his brother are like racing snakes, they won’t have a impoverished poor diet like us, they’ll eat proper food. Sir Peter will have had his fair share though, probably visited the bakery in Castleton when he was younger. Have you got his address, maybe we could send him a dozen as a Xmas present, either from Smiths or Tatts? I should have submitted the question to the Trust to ask when they meet the Directors tonight..it would have probably got filed in the inappropriate bin with my last question though and dismissed.
[Post edited 24 Oct 14:19]

Not surprised. I don't think helping you to find that boring ex-girlfriend is part of their remit.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

NFR - Smiths of Castleton on 16:03 - Oct 24 with 170 viewsTalkingSutty

NFR - Smiths of Castleton on 15:50 - Oct 24 by TVOS1907

Not surprised. I don't think helping you to find that boring ex-girlfriend is part of their remit.

😃
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024