Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southend Match Thread 11:57 - Oct 17 with 16072 viewsjonahwhereru

Although I live in Southend I haven’t seen them this season. The people I have spoken to tell me that they are really inconsistent, and lack height. The forward that went to FGR and the centre half they had to sack have really exacerbated the situation. However their weakness is also one of ours. In that we do not score many from corners. Ferguson and Beckwith are both big lads and I would be tempted to play both on Saturday, fitness allowing.
We can beat them but will need to be on our metal as they can turn in a very good performance, like scoring 4 at Solihull.
Travelling up for the game so I hope Dale turn up and graft, if they do I think they will win.
[Post edited 17 Oct 12:11]
Southend Match Thread on 15:47 - Oct 17 with 7939 viewscumbria_dale

I'm glad we aren't facing Cardwell on Saturday as I thought he was excellent last season for them. The fact he's barely played for FGR (maybe he's been injured?) yet they are sitting second in the table shows how strong their squad is.

The positive display last week and the good performance from the Sheffield United lad gives me confidence that despite a mounting injury list, we should be firing on all cylinders. I just hope we dont pick up any more injuries!
Southend Match Thread on 17:36 - Oct 17 with 7783 viewsYorkshire_Dale

I think I read that Ebbsfleet were without 7 First team players a few weeks ago when we played them, what's occurring? We are well into the season but the worst of pitches/ weather is still to come. Are they being over-worked or trained badly?
Southend Match Thread on 15:30 - Oct 18 with 7201 viewsDale_4_Life

Good Luck Dale tomorrow!

Lets hope by 7.30pm we have our 8th league win of the 24/25 campaign.
Southend Match Thread on 18:43 - Oct 18 with 6890 viewsfrenzied

Video pass on national league tv available
Southend Match Thread on 17:03 - Oct 19 with 5632 viewsYorkshire_Dale

League is settling down a bit now.......of the bottom 8 places, 7 were beaten today and last of the group is Southend, so needs must Dale.

Barnet beaten ahead of Dale visit next Saturday but most of the top lot are doing ok.

But the strugglers often do well against us.
Southend Match Thread on 17:20 - Oct 19 with 5567 viewsRodingdale

Southend Match Thread on 17:03 - Oct 19 by Yorkshire_Dale

League is settling down a bit now.......of the bottom 8 places, 7 were beaten today and last of the group is Southend, so needs must Dale.

Barnet beaten ahead of Dale visit next Saturday but most of the top lot are doing ok.

But the strugglers often do well against us.

McNultys pre match interview a great example of why pre match interviews are complete nonsense. 🤣🤣🤣
Southend Match Thread on 18:23 - Oct 19 with 5182 viewsEllDale

Amateurish goal to concede.
So tedious at times.
Southend Match Thread on 18:25 - Oct 19 with 5128 viewsRodingdale

Reality: A dreadful half with Dale unable to string more than a couple of passes together and no shots on goal. 0-1 at ht. commentary saying we need a rethink at ht. Fortunately for them they only have to watch this nonsense occasionally.

Jim: We were beautiful, dominated the game, I’m proud of the players who left everything out there. Should have had a penalty, referee was poor etc blah.
Login to get fewer ads

Southend Match Thread on 18:27 - Oct 19 with 5058 viewsdingdangblue

Walking football at its finest that half.
Shockingly slow and poor to watch.
Although McNulty probably thinks weve controlled the half.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Southend Match Thread on 18:34 - Oct 19 with 4937 viewsYorkshire_Dale

It's certainly not going to get folks out of their armchairs hotfoot to the COA.

Commentators describe McNulty as the "Guardiola of the National League"......well.

Jonah said Sarfend lacked height, that centre half is seven foot nothing.
Southend Match Thread on 19:25 - Oct 19 with 4451 viewsRodingdale

Southend Match Thread on 18:34 - Oct 19 by Yorkshire_Dale

It's certainly not going to get folks out of their armchairs hotfoot to the COA.

Commentators describe McNulty as the "Guardiola of the National League"......well.

Jonah said Sarfend lacked height, that centre half is seven foot nothing.

Aaron McClean can see what fans see, too slow. Been the same throughout under McNulty. He has a three year contract and is allowed to spout Trumpian levels of nonsense to fans. Such a shame to see a talented group of players being wasted by such a stubborn and egotistical coach.

“There are lots of things for Rochdale to learn from this” Yes there are - but Jim, Jim’s not interested in Dorkingdale, Aaron McClean or anyone - he’s been hired by non football people and he’s got a three year contract.
Southend Match Thread on 19:38 - Oct 19 with 4269 views442Dale

We do not recognise that changing formation and going more direct to shake up a game is an option.

I will never argue against the limitations in our play, the way midfielders suddenly stop playing forwards or how sticking rigidly to short goal kicks isn’t infuriating and annoying a lot of fans, but we can’t keep swinging from things being great after a win to McNulty being not good enough after dropping points.

His philosophy won’t change and it’s a philosophy the players these days want to play and modern football is saturated in it. We either accept that or have these repetitive conversations after home games like this. Because you won’t find many managers who play differently.

There’s no defending performances like that though. McNulty shouldn’t either.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Southend Match Thread on 19:44 - Oct 19 with 4194 viewsRodingdale

Southend Match Thread on 19:38 - Oct 19 by 442Dale

We do not recognise that changing formation and going more direct to shake up a game is an option.

I will never argue against the limitations in our play, the way midfielders suddenly stop playing forwards or how sticking rigidly to short goal kicks isn’t infuriating and annoying a lot of fans, but we can’t keep swinging from things being great after a win to McNulty being not good enough after dropping points.

His philosophy won’t change and it’s a philosophy the players these days want to play and modern football is saturated in it. We either accept that or have these repetitive conversations after home games like this. Because you won’t find many managers who play differently.

There’s no defending performances like that though. McNulty shouldn’t either.

But he will.
Southend Match Thread on 19:45 - Oct 19 with 4178 viewsDaleFan7

Theres no hiding from the fact that we were really poor tonight and offered absolutely nothing going forward. Neither were they but they took their chance and go home with 3 points.

Let's hope they regroup and produce something better on Tuesday.
Southend Match Thread on 19:52 - Oct 19 with 4086 views442Dale

Southend Match Thread on 19:44 - Oct 19 by Rodingdale

But he will.

I know.

But what’s the answer? We can all blame him for the way he sets his teams up, but were we all saying it last week after Fylde? Would we all have said we need to look for a new manager if we were 6th after 14 games?

Like I said, not defending the obvious limitations of the way he chooses to play and the frustration of how it can be so easily remedied by mixing things up, but that’s always been the case with him. The team are getting results and producing some good displays and some that annoy fans. He won’t be getting sacked, so it’s hoping he can change things more often. Because we’ve all seen how good we can be when we are more flexible.

Southend Match Thread on 19:54 - Oct 19 with 4039 views442Dale

Oh and there needs to be a proper admittance that the injury situation is of real concern and that they’re looking at all the reasons why so many are occurring. TAR missing, no news on him yet and Beckwith appeared to have a problem with his hamstring for a long while before finally going off.

Southend Match Thread on 19:58 - Oct 19 with 3967 viewsrich_dale

3 year plan for promotion but if we're still at this level in 2 years we won't be achieving it playing pedestrian football at home, particularly against teams in the bottom half. Aspiring managers like Jim play this way partly because they want to progress their careers and be noticed but as a playing style it isn't going to get you out of a division like this. Passing football as a philosophy is great and better than lumping it but it has to be much quicker and with greater purpose that what we just saw. Wonder how much analysis has been done by the owners and staff into how Chesterfield, Wrexham and Stockport managed to win promotion - admittedly clubs with bigger budgets who could afford better players, but they didn't play many first halves at home as if if they were training sessions.
Southend Match Thread on 20:09 - Oct 19 with 3842 viewsRodingdale

Southend Match Thread on 19:52 - Oct 19 by 442Dale

I know.

But what’s the answer? We can all blame him for the way he sets his teams up, but were we all saying it last week after Fylde? Would we all have said we need to look for a new manager if we were 6th after 14 games?

Like I said, not defending the obvious limitations of the way he chooses to play and the frustration of how it can be so easily remedied by mixing things up, but that’s always been the case with him. The team are getting results and producing some good displays and some that annoy fans. He won’t be getting sacked, so it’s hoping he can change things more often. Because we’ve all seen how good we can be when we are more flexible.

My central point is that Jim isn’t being held to account. The hiring Co-chairman has said he enjoys the football Jim’s team play. As we know, SG is not a football man. Fans, watch hundreds of games, commentators, fans neutral and partisan see what is real. We are telanted, but be organised, sit in midfield, let us play across the back. Mark up the second ball and you can nullify us so easily. We can see it, yet Jim is allowed to get away with spouting absolute tripe to fans.

Some self awareness and honesty would be so refreshing- we had a player after the Ebbsfleet game showing the manager the way. Honesty, integrity that all I ask. Not bullsh1t baffles brains none sense about how beautiful we are.

What I’d like to see is a board position, incidentally not from CO alone as we’ve seen - I mean from the board, we have a cohesive board?? yes?? - the board making it clear that winning on the pitch is central to our future.

Jim should never have been given a three year deal, would I sack him, no - but if I were chairman I’d be telling him to stop talking to fans like they don’t know what they’re seeing and to play some more fun football. This stuff is so sh1t (unless the opposing team let us).

On the well we’re in the playoffs, well how well do you think we’ll get on in the playoffs? The reality is a 1 in 6 chance, with a nailed on shortened summer break and time to prep for next season.

In my view, we have the players to win this league - let them bloody play.
Southend Match Thread on 20:14 - Oct 19 with 3771 views442Dale

Southend Match Thread on 19:58 - Oct 19 by rich_dale

3 year plan for promotion but if we're still at this level in 2 years we won't be achieving it playing pedestrian football at home, particularly against teams in the bottom half. Aspiring managers like Jim play this way partly because they want to progress their careers and be noticed but as a playing style it isn't going to get you out of a division like this. Passing football as a philosophy is great and better than lumping it but it has to be much quicker and with greater purpose that what we just saw. Wonder how much analysis has been done by the owners and staff into how Chesterfield, Wrexham and Stockport managed to win promotion - admittedly clubs with bigger budgets who could afford better players, but they didn't play many first halves at home as if if they were training sessions.

“ Passing football as a philosophy is great and better than lumping it but it has to be much quicker and with greater purpose that what we just saw.”

That’s it in a nutshell. McNulty has to solve this conundrum on a more regular basis, as it is both boring to endure and inevitably reflect on after witnessing it. It’s not as though he hasn’t produced sides who have managed to find those solutions this season.

It’s on him, and he’s failing on that score at present. The first thing is to put more pressure on the likes of East and Henry (unless he’s injured again too) to receive the ball on the half turn and go into space in front of them before passing it quickly. And forward wherever possible. The players themselves need to be under more pressure to change things up.

Southend Match Thread on 20:19 - Oct 19 with 3703 viewsSuddenLad

Southend Match Thread on 19:54 - Oct 19 by 442Dale

Oh and there needs to be a proper admittance that the injury situation is of real concern and that they’re looking at all the reasons why so many are occurring. TAR missing, no news on him yet and Beckwith appeared to have a problem with his hamstring for a long while before finally going off.

TAR has a hamstring problem. He was with his family in the main stand today and said so when asked.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Southend Match Thread on 20:21 - Oct 19 with 3695 viewsYorkshire_Dale

What is annoying is this constant lack of energy when we are loosing and chasing a game.

Presumably, Hogan was instructed to stand on the penalty area line with his foot on the ball and wait for the attacker to saunter up and force him into yet another sideway pass or turn it back to Robson? Even worse that ,Allarakhia is stood out wide hailing a pass to get us forward? He at least tried to push us forward.

Then with minutes to go we suddenly think we are loosing this let's get cracking!

Again, with the Dark Arts flourishing , Mitchell is pushing their player off to speed up a sub when we are farting about passing sideways at the back for god knows how long.

Bewildering to fans.
Southend Match Thread on 20:23 - Oct 19 with 3672 views442Dale

Southend Match Thread on 20:09 - Oct 19 by Rodingdale

My central point is that Jim isn’t being held to account. The hiring Co-chairman has said he enjoys the football Jim’s team play. As we know, SG is not a football man. Fans, watch hundreds of games, commentators, fans neutral and partisan see what is real. We are telanted, but be organised, sit in midfield, let us play across the back. Mark up the second ball and you can nullify us so easily. We can see it, yet Jim is allowed to get away with spouting absolute tripe to fans.

Some self awareness and honesty would be so refreshing- we had a player after the Ebbsfleet game showing the manager the way. Honesty, integrity that all I ask. Not bullsh1t baffles brains none sense about how beautiful we are.

What I’d like to see is a board position, incidentally not from CO alone as we’ve seen - I mean from the board, we have a cohesive board?? yes?? - the board making it clear that winning on the pitch is central to our future.

Jim should never have been given a three year deal, would I sack him, no - but if I were chairman I’d be telling him to stop talking to fans like they don’t know what they’re seeing and to play some more fun football. This stuff is so sh1t (unless the opposing team let us).

On the well we’re in the playoffs, well how well do you think we’ll get on in the playoffs? The reality is a 1 in 6 chance, with a nailed on shortened summer break and time to prep for next season.

In my view, we have the players to win this league - let them bloody play.

Don’t actually think individual board members have much to do with any of what McNulty is doing now. They trust whoever they employ to get results and on that front alone he’s doing that. Irrespective of what we might think of the capabilities of the squad, a play-off spot would be a good achievement. That would come under the heading of “winning football”As a collective the board will look at that at the end of the season. The contract length means little.

Interviews? Wholeheartedly agree. But again, that’s the game now and but for the odd exception that’s all you get everywhere. Watch the interview with Robson this week, pointless, by the book sound bites. And I actually thought McNulty’s interview after Ebbsfleet was one of his best with regards to recognising our own faults!

Most importantly, the majority of fans enjoy the football we play. When we play it effectively. The problem is the extremes of when we aren’t effective show up the limitations, with the lack of focus on the actual formation being strangely overlooked.

Southend Match Thread on 20:25 - Oct 19 with 3630 viewsrich_dale

Southend Match Thread on 20:14 - Oct 19 by 442Dale

“ Passing football as a philosophy is great and better than lumping it but it has to be much quicker and with greater purpose that what we just saw.”

That’s it in a nutshell. McNulty has to solve this conundrum on a more regular basis, as it is both boring to endure and inevitably reflect on after witnessing it. It’s not as though he hasn’t produced sides who have managed to find those solutions this season.

It’s on him, and he’s failing on that score at present. The first thing is to put more pressure on the likes of East and Henry (unless he’s injured again too) to receive the ball on the half turn and go into space in front of them before passing it quickly. And forward wherever possible. The players themselves need to be under more pressure to change things up.

Agree, was frustrating to watch. There were a few occasions where the ultra-safe option was taken and the ball went back/sideways when there was space to move into, and forward passes to be tried, as if the instruction was just to keep the ball at all costs. You win games by being progressive and taking a few risks, not constantly recycling possession.
Southend Match Thread on 20:28 - Oct 19 with 3581 views442Dale

Southend Match Thread on 20:21 - Oct 19 by Yorkshire_Dale

What is annoying is this constant lack of energy when we are loosing and chasing a game.

Presumably, Hogan was instructed to stand on the penalty area line with his foot on the ball and wait for the attacker to saunter up and force him into yet another sideway pass or turn it back to Robson? Even worse that ,Allarakhia is stood out wide hailing a pass to get us forward? He at least tried to push us forward.

Then with minutes to go we suddenly think we are loosing this let's get cracking!

Again, with the Dark Arts flourishing , Mitchell is pushing their player off to speed up a sub when we are farting about passing sideways at the back for god knows how long.

Bewildering to fans.

No, I don’t think he’s instructed to do it. Because if he was then we would play like it all the time and we don’t. The problem is the lack of options and reluctance to add some chaos to the play by players being brave enough to turn away from their own goal and the manager not changing the formation.

They revert to being ‘safe’ within a structure.

Southend Match Thread on 20:37 - Oct 19 with 3452 viewsRodingdale

Southend Match Thread on 20:23 - Oct 19 by 442Dale

Don’t actually think individual board members have much to do with any of what McNulty is doing now. They trust whoever they employ to get results and on that front alone he’s doing that. Irrespective of what we might think of the capabilities of the squad, a play-off spot would be a good achievement. That would come under the heading of “winning football”As a collective the board will look at that at the end of the season. The contract length means little.

Interviews? Wholeheartedly agree. But again, that’s the game now and but for the odd exception that’s all you get everywhere. Watch the interview with Robson this week, pointless, by the book sound bites. And I actually thought McNulty’s interview after Ebbsfleet was one of his best with regards to recognising our own faults!

Most importantly, the majority of fans enjoy the football we play. When we play it effectively. The problem is the extremes of when we aren’t effective show up the limitations, with the lack of focus on the actual formation being strangely overlooked.

On your firs para, I specifically said The Board. Not individually. The continued existence of 7,000 empty seats is not going to be fixed by playing boring losing football. Our home form is at best unreliable. The board wants to grow crowds, so it is their concern what the manager serves up.

My view is we have players cabable of better, but they seem shackled by Jim’s stubbornness. The opposition don’t need to time waste, we waste our own time perfectly well. Your opinion is that most fans enjoy the football, really, can you evidence that, where I sit there is huge frustration at the style of play.

Play offs are a nightmare, not an achievement. What is the point? Progress? I’d buy top 3 as a target, but playoffs? Not for me.

Contract length means everything - Jim is an unproven young manager, he’s done nothing, I’m rather nervous that he’s BBM reincarnated, working for his CV - and getting paid for three years even if he achieves nothing apart from plaudits fro sycophants.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024