Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aldershot away - *Help please* 08:24 - Sep 9 with 2767 viewsAldershot_Fan

Hi there,

Aldershot fan here, and member of their Supporters Club Committee. I am here in the hope of some feedback following your recent visit to The EBB Stadium.

Firstly, great performance. I know it's early, but you're the best attacking team I've seen so far, so expect you to be challenging this season :)

As you may of noticed, our ground may have character but is also very old and could probably (definitely!! 🤣) do with some freshening up!

One of the most neglected areas has been the away end, and we'd like to put some effort into improving the matchday experience for away fans.

I would be grateful if anyone who attended could give some feedback on your experience last week (and/or last season). Any input would be appreciated.

This can relate to access to and from stadium, facilities in the ground, food, drink, etc? Basically anything, apart from the match itself.

Thanks for your time, and I wish you all the best for the coming season.

Aldershot Town fan
Aldershot away - *Help please* on 09:33 - Sep 9 with 2603 viewsDorkingDale

Where to start?!
Aldershot away - *Help please* on 12:03 - Sep 9 with 2357 viewsAldershot_Fan

All of it please, but try and keep it constructive :)
Aldershot away - *Help please* on 16:35 - Sep 9 with 2042 viewsTVOS1907

It was surprising that away fans had to enter at the opposite end of the ground to normal as there hadn't been any prior information at our end about this.

Consequently, a lot of us, including Dave's minibus, had parked up near the park entrance at the top of Redan Road, which wasn't very convenient for the turnstiles.

It was surprising once through the turnstiles that there wasn't any segregation in place. It wasn't necessary, as the Dale and Aldershot fans mingled by the entrance quite happily, but it may have been problematic with more volatile visitors.

Nobody seemed to be directing away fans to where we were supposed to be. I asked a steward why we weren't at the end of the ground we normally are and he just shrugged his shoulders and said, "You are!"

Fortunately, having been to The Rec before, I knew how to get to the away terrace, but there was little in the way of help for those who hadn't beenpreviously.

The away terrace looks like it should be condemned, to be honest. I'm not sure how it's safe. Indeed, one Dale fan almost slipped on the wet steps due to their unsafe nature, although he was cascading down to celebrate with TAR at the time!

The covered terrace behind the goal wasn't open to away fans, but I think this is a much safer area from previous visits. I do believe some of your fans have been launching missiles at away fans in there so far this season, so maybe it was out of bounds for that reason.

Fortunately, common sense prevailed at the end when a senior steward went round the away terrace to tell Dale fans they could exit through the park if their vehicle was at that end of the ground. It's not the most secure route out, but I imagine it would have been more dangerous coming down the steps than going up them.

So, in short, more guidance needed for away fans if the turnstiles at the opposite end are going to be used and there could be safety issues on that open terrace, especially with an away following exceeding 169!

The stewards were all very friendly and understanding, though, so compliments to them and Aldershot on that.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Aldershot away - *Help please* on 17:42 - Sep 9 with 1861 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Aldershot away - *Help please* on 12:03 - Sep 9 by Aldershot_Fan

Shot Fan.......talking of constructive, it looks like you guys are sponsored by ideal businesses to sort out some re-construction, Scaffolding, Skip Hire, Wheelie Bins and particularly Demolition!

By the way.....TAR mentioned by TVOS in his comprehensive reply, is our N0 14 resident Comedian, Toby Adeybayo-Rowling .
Aldershot away - *Help please* on 17:49 - Sep 9 with 1838 viewsHampshire_Dale

From a former Rochdale resident to a Hampshire one, I wanted to go being close but couldn’t persuade others to come with me due to the reputation the Shots youth have. Whilst I completely believe 95+ percent are decent loyal Shots fans who I would be happy to have a beer with and chat, I do recall ducking from 2p coins being chucked at us back in the noughties last time we where both in the EFL. I don’t know how the club can 100% crack down on those few, but I think some of the youth love their bad reputation developed on what is an old well supported club with proud Army history. Irony being, we are going to Eastleigh week after next and their youth think they are Saints firm wannabes! Can’t win!
Aldershot away - *Help please* on 21:10 - Sep 9 with 1475 viewsDaley_Lama

The lack of segregation surprised me too but heartened by it also.

I spent 15 minutes stood in the first standing section on that side of the pitch, i was at the front so i didn’t notice a couple of Aldershot replica shirts until just before the minutes silence. We have just unveiled our away shirt which is red based too so subliminally i may have thought they were Dale shirts.

I didn’t eat or drink so can’t comment on that side and thankfully it didn’t rain.

Shame the section behind the goal wasn’t open for away fans but i assume there will be good reasons for us not being there this time.

Lastly, i thought the eulogy for the passing of the club chaplain was heartfelt and minute silence perfectly observed.

Poll: DF in or out

Aldershot away - *Help please* on 23:08 - Sep 9 with 1256 viewsDorkingDale

Aldershot away - *Help please* on 12:03 - Sep 9 by Aldershot_Fan

Okey Dokey.....here we go.

On previous visits I've been driving & have approached the ground through the park. This time I was with friends walking from the town centre. The directions for away fans were just ridiculous - I followed and suddenly realised I was in the home end. No signposting other than the initial one outside the ground - very weird. Please sort out some proper directions for away fans.

As per someone's previous post, the away terrace is just prehistoric - covered in moss &, frankly, dangerous. Bloke behind me jumped when we scored, slipped & landed on top of me. I realise that clubs like ours have financial constraints, but could you not organise a supporters group to power jet the away terrace & make it basically safe?

As far as I could tell there were no specific refreshment facilities for away supporters. At half time I just walked down this horrible corridor into the nearest home stand & eventually found a bar. Yet again, no signposting & no guidance for away supporters. On a positive note, everybody was very friendly in there - both staff & home fans - and there was no queue. Drinks range & availability fine, but the only food option was a burnt, dried out sausage roll. So again, some signage/directions for away supporters, plus food available at half time.

Managed to escape at full time, more by luck than judgement!

Have to say that the stewards I did encounter were all very helpful & friendly.

Hope this feedback is constructive & allows you to improve the experience for away fans.

BTW, thanks for your efforts in contacting away fans - I suspect that we as a club probably need to do the same, but we've been a bit tied up in trying to stay afloat in recent years.

Good luck for the rest of the season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024