Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gateshead 10:51 - Aug 28 with 3476 viewsClitheroeDale

Hi. Does anybody know if Gateshead finish in playoffs or champions, will they be able to go up or is the ground still not upto scratch?
Gateshead on 11:00 - Aug 28 with 3428 viewswatford_dale

No until they resolve the issue of being able to meet the 10 year security of tenure on the gateshead international stadium.

Stadium costs the Council £860k a year.
Gateshead on 11:02 - Aug 28 with 3424 viewsClitheroeDale

Gateshead on 11:00 - Aug 28 by watford_dale

No until they resolve the issue of being able to meet the 10 year security of tenure on the gateshead international stadium.

Thanks.
Gateshead on 11:10 - Aug 28 with 3384 viewsTalkingSutty

Gateshead on 11:00 - Aug 28 by watford_dale

I thought the issues had now been resolved, i could be wrong though.
Gateshead on 11:21 - Aug 28 with 3342 viewsDalenet

The ground is more than up to scratch to meet the league requirements. But the council still won't agree a guaranteed 10 year lease so they will be prevented from entering the play-offs without that.

However they do have a long lease - its the break clauses that are the problem. The council is looking to a private operator to take on the stadium and wants enough flexibility in the lease to allow a new operator to renegotiate terms with both Gateshead FC and Newcastle Thunder RLFC. They are hoping to get a deal off the ground this year, so that would allow Gateshead to negotiate a 10 year term with the new operator. Time will tell. They are also exploring a move to another ground including South Shields down the road.
Gateshead on 13:30 - Aug 28 with 3019 viewsDale_4_Life

I was sure I read that the lease is sorted and this time (If they make it) they would be promoted.
Gateshead on 17:54 - Aug 28 with 2756 viewsDalenet

Gateshead on 13:30 - Aug 28 by Dale_4_Life

I was sure I read that the lease is sorted and this time (If they make it) they would be promoted.

Nope. The National League has asked the EFL to look again at the rule that prevented them partaking in the play-offs. The EFL hasn't changed anything as yet. After the fiasco in April, Gateshead council were asked to agree a full 10 year lease with no break clauses at the end of May and they voted against that by 9 to 1. They are so desperate to offload the stadium (as that council has done with most of its leisure centres and swimming pools) that they wont prejudice any deal with a new stadium operator.

After they won the FA Trophy they didn't have a bus tour and civic reception, opting intead to celebrate with fans at the stadium. The Council took a back seat - wisely.

In the meantime Gateshead FC issued a statement in summer that they are looking at ground share alternatives if it is needed for this coming season.
Gateshead on 19:07 - Aug 28 with 2575 viewsArthurDaley

Gateshead on 11:21 - Aug 28 by Dalenet

The ground is more than up to scratch to meet the league requirements. But the council still won't agree a guaranteed 10 year lease so they will be prevented from entering the play-offs without that.

However they do have a long lease - its the break clauses that are the problem. The council is looking to a private operator to take on the stadium and wants enough flexibility in the lease to allow a new operator to renegotiate terms with both Gateshead FC and Newcastle Thunder RLFC. They are hoping to get a deal off the ground this year, so that would allow Gateshead to negotiate a 10 year term with the new operator. Time will tell. They are also exploring a move to another ground including South Shields down the road.

Cant really see Newcastle RLFC being around much longer. Think the owner packed in last year, then changed his mind. Thunder are getting beat every week . So who knows how long they can carry on

A large VAT Dave

Gateshead on 19:20 - Aug 28 with 2527 viewsEllDale

Like you say Newcastle are very much the division’s rubbing rags.
I remember when Gateshead used to stage really prestigious televised athletics meetings with all the top stars competing. I think Brendan Foster used to organise them?
Those days seem long gone.
Gateshead aren’t the only National League club with ground issues though. There’s one much closer to home.
Login to get fewer ads

Gateshead on 19:35 - Aug 28 with 2482 viewsTalkingSutty

Gateshead on 19:20 - Aug 28 by EllDale

Like you say Newcastle are very much the division’s rubbing rags.
I remember when Gateshead used to stage really prestigious televised athletics meetings with all the top stars competing. I think Brendan Foster used to organise them?
Those days seem long gone.
Gateshead aren’t the only National League club with ground issues though. There’s one much closer to home.

Halifax
Gateshead on 20:02 - Aug 28 with 2408 viewsEllDale

Correct. The Shay is owned by the local council but it’s making an estimated annual loss of £161k.
Not mentioned is how much remedial maintenance work is estimated to cost because this has been put on hold recently.
The council’s first idea was to sell the ground but have now decided that this isn’t necessary if FCHT and the town’s rugby league club come to some sort of “agreement” to renegotiate tenancies to include the operating shortfall on the stadium.
And that’s something they’re struggling to do - the rugby are allegedly in heavy rent arrears already - but the deadline imposed is for the start of next season.
Gateshead on 15:25 - Aug 30 with 1677 viewsDalenet

Gateshead on 20:02 - Aug 28 by EllDale

Correct. The Shay is owned by the local council but it’s making an estimated annual loss of £161k.
Not mentioned is how much remedial maintenance work is estimated to cost because this has been put on hold recently.
The council’s first idea was to sell the ground but have now decided that this isn’t necessary if FCHT and the town’s rugby league club come to some sort of “agreement” to renegotiate tenancies to include the operating shortfall on the stadium.
And that’s something they’re struggling to do - the rugby are allegedly in heavy rent arrears already - but the deadline imposed is for the start of next season.

You'd think both the football and rugby clubs could cover that shortfall wouldn't you? But things are tight and rugby league is in a right mess financially.

Turning back to Gateshead, the local council claim that the stadium costs loses £800k a year even after the rent received. God knows how they have managed to incur such losses - I can only assume there are historic loans for it. I am sure we said it costs us around £500k a year to run spotland.
Gateshead on 08:31 - Sep 7 with 1116 viewsDalenet

Just read that the EFL have now changed the entry rules for non league clubs trying to get access to the EFL after the farce with Gateshead last season. You now need a 5 year ground lease agreement (instead of 10) on the proviso that you can secure a 10 year lease deal by the end of your second season in the EFL. With Gateshead being top of the league right now, they will breathe a sigh of relief - and the local council has sought bids to run the stadium from third parties for the Gateshead International Stadium by the end of this month. Whoever wins that process can then negotiate terms with the football club to extend their lease.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024