Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yeovil away match thread 14:04 - Aug 26 with 17797 views442Dale

4 at the back or Senior as RWB? Allarakhia in a more forward role?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Yeovil away match thread on 17:03 - Aug 26 with 4282 viewsTalkingSutty

Yeovil away match thread on 17:02 - Aug 26 by DaleiLama

All 3 points and sitting 7th.

Much better second half, showed loads of character, great win. Safe travels home to everybody who made the journey.
Yeovil away match thread on 17:03 - Aug 26 with 4277 viewsSandyman

A very welcome 3 points.

Edit: Best goals against record in the division - 2 conceded in 5 games.
[Post edited 26 Aug 17:05]
Yeovil away match thread on 17:03 - Aug 26 with 4270 viewsEllDale

Great win. Much needed. Pressure off a bit.
Any news on EEL?
Yeovil away match thread on 17:04 - Aug 26 with 4265 viewsRodingdale

A good win, gradually got better as the second half went on and Dale players celebrated the win enthusiastically. Well done.
Yeovil away match thread on 17:05 - Aug 26 with 4215 viewsSaxonDale

Huge credit to McBride. I was critical of him after Tuesday as I didn’t think he was being brave enough in possession but his goal was absolutely fantastic today. Hopefully that kick starts his season.

Credit to McNulty too. Substitutions changed the game for us and 4 points from a very challenging 3 days logistically is a good return.

Edit- final well done to Ferguson. After an injury-hit time here I thought he stepped in really well today.
[Post edited 26 Aug 17:10]
Yeovil away match thread on 17:09 - Aug 26 with 4058 viewsEllDale

Aldershot currently 3-2 down at Tamworth but they’ve played 22 minutes stoppage time so not sure what’s happened there?
Yeovil away match thread on 17:13 - Aug 26 with 3983 viewsTrev

Well done Dale, started to turn the screw for the last 20 minutes and just about deserved it. We look much more threatening with TAR on the pitch.
Yeovil away match thread on 17:16 - Aug 26 with 3906 viewsmikehunt

More like it those last 15 mins or so. Can we start matches like that, please.
Some good defending kept them from scoring, too. Thinking about an overhead kick off the line by someone first half. That might have been over the line. Bit like their header from our keeper's wayward pass. Did we get away with one there?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Login to get fewer ads

Yeovil away match thread on 17:17 - Aug 26 with 3855 viewsNorthernDale

I will take it and well done to McBride, I hope it gives the confidence in the coming season, but as others have said, we seem to play McNulty's preferred total options football for most of the game and I must admit I thought the commentary team on BBC Somerset were quiet good and fair.

But we are now 7th and have got Woking at home next week, which may be an hard game, because they have done better then I expected so far this season. it would be nice if somebody mentioned to McNulty, that his total options football is not exactly working. I still with a couple of additions, we will be potentially a play off team. I will take the three points mind you.
Yeovil away match thread on 17:25 - Aug 26 with 3683 viewsEllDale

A lot of us have moaned about the finishing but that’s just the one goal conceded in three away games now.
Yeovil away match thread on 17:33 - Aug 26 with 3537 viewsisitme

Yeovil away match thread on 17:25 - Aug 26 by EllDale

A lot of us have moaned about the finishing but that’s just the one goal conceded in three away games now.

We shipped a lot of goals last season, so tightening up defensively is a good thing. It should not be underestimated the impact physically on the players of the start to the season. They have played four games in just over a week and it appears that both Gilmour and Ebanks-Landell have sustained muscle injuries. The players are not robots and Jim has rotated to manage minutes with apart from Gordon, I do not think any other player has played the full ninety in all of those four games.

To travel to Yeovil and come away with a win after a game on Saturday is a really good achievement. I am not sure if the team stayed over last night, hopefully they did.
[Post edited 26 Aug 18:04]
Yeovil away match thread on 17:51 - Aug 26 with 3362 views442Dale

Yeovil away match thread on 17:17 - Aug 26 by NorthernDale

I will take it and well done to McBride, I hope it gives the confidence in the coming season, but as others have said, we seem to play McNulty's preferred total options football for most of the game and I must admit I thought the commentary team on BBC Somerset were quiet good and fair.

But we are now 7th and have got Woking at home next week, which may be an hard game, because they have done better then I expected so far this season. it would be nice if somebody mentioned to McNulty, that his total options football is not exactly working. I still with a couple of additions, we will be potentially a play off team. I will take the three points mind you.

“Total options” means using different options! Mixing up keeping the ball with going more direct to make use of the players we have who cause opponents problems when we do attack with pace. McNulty’s biggest problem, last season especially was not making use of that tactic and retaining the ball without pace.

Without doubt there have been frustrating and avoidable lapses towards that at times so far this campaign, but we are playing better and we can’t argue with results. One win can change everything of course, it’s easy to create a narrative to suit an argument but 8 points from 5 games is a decent start, one I’d certainly have taken looking at our opening fixtures, and we are seeing the benefits of playing with a different formation that can be flexible. So nobody can tell McNulty his tactics aren’t working, because we’re getting play-off position results without firing on all cylinders.

With an in-form Mitchell and Rodney we might be even better off, so to be in seventh without looking as strong as we all hoped in attack isn’t too bad. Complacency can’t set in though and the manager should still recognise the games where we aren’t effective and not dress it up as something different. There’s nothing wrong with saying “we weren’t great today but we’ll take a point and we’ll look to work on this, this and this”(Saturday), fans can identify with that.

Yeovil away match thread on 18:06 - Aug 26 with 3177 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Big well done to all our lot, supporters included and good to see the back of a long trip for this season!

Hope McNulty still reads this forum and the earlier comments from all and sundry about pedestrian football and if you shoot from time to time you just might catch a worldie.

Still loads to improve on and injuries are a bit of a worry though we do at last have a bit of backup thanks to the budget, there were a couple of scares but tonight let's forget about that!

Trip home should be a laugh.
Yeovil away match thread on 18:13 - Aug 26 with 3081 viewsNorthernDale

Yeovil away match thread on 17:33 - Aug 26 by isitme

We shipped a lot of goals last season, so tightening up defensively is a good thing. It should not be underestimated the impact physically on the players of the start to the season. They have played four games in just over a week and it appears that both Gilmour and Ebanks-Landell have sustained muscle injuries. The players are not robots and Jim has rotated to manage minutes with apart from Gordon, I do not think any other player has played the full ninety in all of those four games.

To travel to Yeovil and come away with a win after a game on Saturday is a really good achievement. I am not sure if the team stayed over last night, hopefully they did.
[Post edited 26 Aug 18:04]

I am sure that in his post match talk on Saturday, he said they were doing light training, prior to going to Yeovil, so I can only presume that they went down on Sunday.

Yes, we won and dominating possession, but my concern is that we are not creating enough chances and even worse taking them. I agree 8 points from 5 games is a decent return and installs confidence in the team going forward.
Yeovil away match thread on 18:17 - Aug 26 with 3051 viewsD_Alien

Yeovil away match thread on 17:51 - Aug 26 by 442Dale

“Total options” means using different options! Mixing up keeping the ball with going more direct to make use of the players we have who cause opponents problems when we do attack with pace. McNulty’s biggest problem, last season especially was not making use of that tactic and retaining the ball without pace.

Without doubt there have been frustrating and avoidable lapses towards that at times so far this campaign, but we are playing better and we can’t argue with results. One win can change everything of course, it’s easy to create a narrative to suit an argument but 8 points from 5 games is a decent start, one I’d certainly have taken looking at our opening fixtures, and we are seeing the benefits of playing with a different formation that can be flexible. So nobody can tell McNulty his tactics aren’t working, because we’re getting play-off position results without firing on all cylinders.

With an in-form Mitchell and Rodney we might be even better off, so to be in seventh without looking as strong as we all hoped in attack isn’t too bad. Complacency can’t set in though and the manager should still recognise the games where we aren’t effective and not dress it up as something different. There’s nothing wrong with saying “we weren’t great today but we’ll take a point and we’ll look to work on this, this and this”(Saturday), fans can identify with that.

Yes, one would expect he'd have been grateful to McBride for following his natural instincts and taking that shot

As tactics go, it's pretty useful

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Yeovil away match thread on 18:19 - Aug 26 with 3012 viewsfrenzied

Yeovil away match thread on 17:03 - Aug 26 by EllDale

Great win. Much needed. Pressure off a bit.
Any news on EEL?

Acc to commentary ..a hamstring injury

Thought Adebayo did v well
[Post edited 26 Aug 18:20]
Yeovil away match thread on 18:23 - Aug 26 with 2963 views442Dale

Yeovil away match thread on 18:17 - Aug 26 by D_Alien

Yes, one would expect he'd have been grateful to McBride for following his natural instincts and taking that shot

As tactics go, it's pretty useful

Indeed! Thats the frustrating part, getting some shots in, some strikers attacking crosses and it immediately puts the opposition under pressure. Get the players doing what they’re good at.

Yeovil away match thread on 18:24 - Aug 26 with 2951 viewsfrenzied

Yeovil away match thread on 16:50 - Aug 26 by Rodingdale

Boston 2 up

Great win for Boston esp having conceded late on Sat against Tamworth at home
Yeovil away match thread on 19:12 - Aug 26 with 2556 views442Dale

Credit for his comments today too. A lot of openness including about how slow the play was, seems to match what has been said in this thread. Again, this sort of approach helps to develop understanding and fans can relate to a manager saying what we see.

Couldn’t stop looking at all those seats with no numbers as well. Somebody should find out what the single use plastic levels are like in the West Country.

Yeovil away match thread on 19:54 - Aug 26 with 2269 viewsNewbury_Dale

How did Ferguson look today ? Looks like he will get a run in the side now.
Yeovil away match thread on 20:10 - Aug 26 with 2135 viewsrichfoad32

Yeovil away match thread on 19:54 - Aug 26 by Newbury_Dale

How did Ferguson look today ? Looks like he will get a run in the side now.

Considering he probably wasn't expected to get called upon quite so early (if it all), he had a decent game and looked pretty composed. I thought Kyron Gordon had a great game, particularly linking up with TAR in the second half. I was almost in line with the Yeovil header after McNicholas gifted them the clearance and didn't think it crossed it the line though I would like to see it again. That error aside he had a solid game.
Yeovil away match thread on 20:16 - Aug 26 with 2045 viewsDevonDale

Yeovil away match thread on 20:10 - Aug 26 by richfoad32

Considering he probably wasn't expected to get called upon quite so early (if it all), he had a decent game and looked pretty composed. I thought Kyron Gordon had a great game, particularly linking up with TAR in the second half. I was almost in line with the Yeovil header after McNicholas gifted them the clearance and didn't think it crossed it the line though I would like to see it again. That error aside he had a solid game.

I wasn't quite in line with it, but my initial reaction was the whole of the ball definitely hadn't crossed the line. The linesman wouldn't have had a clue, he was so far up the pitch. It was heart in mouth, waiting to see if he would signal it had crossed the line - thankfully he didn't!
Yeovil away match thread on 20:26 - Aug 26 with 1971 viewsdaleitetilidie

Yeovil away match thread on 20:10 - Aug 26 by richfoad32

Can’t say I’d agree with that. Keeper doesn’t command his 6 yard area prob due to his stature. Distribution is pretty dire as well. He does act as a good sweeper keeper though when called on. Thought we got away with it early in the second half as didn’t restart too well. But last 20 there was only one team going for the win. So based on that thought we deserved the 3 points. I wouldn’t get too carried away with the win. Let’s put a decent run together and we’ll see where we are after 10 games. Onwards and upwards. Up the Dale!
Yeovil away match thread on 20:43 - Aug 26 with 1825 viewsnordenblue

Yeovil away match thread on 17:03 - Aug 26 by Sandyman

A very welcome 3 points.

Edit: Best goals against record in the division - 2 conceded in 5 games.
[Post edited 26 Aug 17:05]

Looked far more threatening and moved the ball with more intent after the changes, great finish too for the goal.
Yeovil away match thread on 20:45 - Aug 26 with 1812 viewsTalkingSutty

Yeovil away match thread on 19:12 - Aug 26 by 442Dale

Credit for his comments today too. A lot of openness including about how slow the play was, seems to match what has been said in this thread. Again, this sort of approach helps to develop understanding and fans can relate to a manager saying what we see.

Couldn’t stop looking at all those seats with no numbers as well. Somebody should find out what the single use plastic levels are like in the West Country.

A shame about EEL but I'm not sure the injury was down to the schedule, it happened very early in the game and last week was Saturday Tuesday Saturday, that's a normal week for footballers. Maybe it was because he had to travel down to Yeovil the day after the FGR game. McNulty seems horrified with the schedule, don't these weekends crop up every season..Xmas/ Easter/ Bank Holidays. It's always been the same throughout McNultys career hasn't it? Maybe i'm wrong about that. Yeovils manager shrugged it off in his post match interview and said 'that's the National league'. Not signing another Centre half during the summer has been a concern amongst the fan base for the last month or so, it was always going to be a problem if EEL picked up a injury.
[Post edited 26 Aug 20:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024