Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
York away match thread 19:14 - Aug 20 with 15070 views442Dale

Win, lose or draw, it’s hoped the manager is asked about the specific choices he makes in personnel so we gain an understanding around selections like Armstrong coming in for the impressive so far Beckwith.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

York away match thread on 22:06 - Aug 20 with 5368 viewsmikehunt

York commentators hit the nail on the head when they said we were guilty of overplaying the ball - we get to the edge of the area easy enough; so try an occasional shot ffs!!

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

York away match thread on 22:09 - Aug 20 with 5328 viewsSandyman

Would have liked to have seen Hendo on for the last 10-15 minutes in place of Mitchell. An obvious option, not taken.
York away match thread on 22:33 - Aug 20 with 5119 viewsDaleiLama

Second best at everything tonight sadly. Out-passed, out thought, out fought and out scored. We got one goal from a bucket full of chances Saturday and 0 from fewer chances tonight. If we don't start converting chances or bring in someone who can I'm struggling to see us improving our league position this year. Very early days though and lots of time to change things. Hopefully.
[Post edited 20 Aug 22:50]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

York away match thread on 22:38 - Aug 20 with 5081 viewsNorthernDale

York away match thread on 22:04 - Aug 20 by DaleFan7

Got what we deserved which was nothing. York better in attack and defense, stronger and quicker than we were.

We came out fighting in the second half but it soon petered out when York had a decent chance.

From starting XI to substitutions it was a really poor game from McNulty.

Go again Saturday.

The question is can McNulty learn from his mistakes, I sometimes doubt if he can. If we are not careful, we could drift away from the playoffs. Yes it is early season, but McNulty continues making mistakes, I do wonder at times, as he not learnt from last season. We need to get a positive result on Saturday and Monday.

I will be interested to hear McNulty response to the defeat tonight.
York away match thread on 22:47 - Aug 20 with 5015 viewsEllDale

He might be at fault in a few ways but you can’t blame BJ for some of the shocking misses in the last two games eg Mitchell and TAR on Saturday and EEL and McBride tonight.
Simple chances which, if they been taken, would have seen Dale unbeaten and with a 100% record.
Fine margins as the saying goes.
York away match thread on 22:53 - Aug 20 with 4950 viewsDaleiLama

York away match thread on 22:47 - Aug 20 by EllDale

He might be at fault in a few ways but you can’t blame BJ for some of the shocking misses in the last two games eg Mitchell and TAR on Saturday and EEL and McBride tonight.
Simple chances which, if they been taken, would have seen Dale unbeaten and with a 100% record.
Fine margins as the saying goes.

Tbf, their number 10 missed a couple and there were others too. We might gave scraped a point on another night but were much more deserving of a win vs Daggers

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

York away match thread on 22:54 - Aug 20 with 4948 viewsEdindale

Very disappointing result - an unnecessary defeat.

Strange selections and a poor start. Keeper should have done much better.

Not sure if McBride is ready and why was Hendo not used?

We need new blood in now.
York away match thread on 23:51 - Aug 20 with 4684 views442Dale

Just seen the manager’s views after the game. These interviews are becoming pointless if McNulty isn’t challenged on his answers. The “individual bits which we thought were specific to this game” can easily be expanded on if he’s actually asked what that means.

It’s infuriating because it doesn’t help create a connection to supporters, more that it’s some sort of master plan we all can’t be in on.

Do better.

Login to get fewer ads

York away match thread on 23:55 - Aug 20 with 4664 views49thseason

Sounds like the old story, no one hammers us but we are too often short of a goal. It cost us 2 points on Saturday and a point tonight, and dozens of points last season... it seems we haven't learned much about this division... you have to score goals because you will concede one .. clean sheets are like hens teeth.
We need a bully up front, someone who is prepared to throw himself into the melee of the six yard box and cause problems, we have the delivery we need the finisher, Mitchell and Rodney need competition and there is none...and there was none last season either, I love Hendo but he needs a provider.. he thrives on chaos but we dont create any, we are too "nice" in front of goal. We should have had a bag-full on Saturday but there was no ruthlessness... Jim needs to find a new Beezley or a Humphries...or...?
York away match thread on 06:48 - Aug 21 with 4266 viewsTalkingSutty

York away match thread on 23:55 - Aug 20 by 49thseason

Sounds like the old story, no one hammers us but we are too often short of a goal. It cost us 2 points on Saturday and a point tonight, and dozens of points last season... it seems we haven't learned much about this division... you have to score goals because you will concede one .. clean sheets are like hens teeth.
We need a bully up front, someone who is prepared to throw himself into the melee of the six yard box and cause problems, we have the delivery we need the finisher, Mitchell and Rodney need competition and there is none...and there was none last season either, I love Hendo but he needs a provider.. he thrives on chaos but we dont create any, we are too "nice" in front of goal. We should have had a bag-full on Saturday but there was no ruthlessness... Jim needs to find a new Beezley or a Humphries...or...?

Beckwith not starting the game needs explaining, on paper this was the toughest of the three games this week. He can't be tired surely, resting probably the best left back in the league for such a big game can't be right. His replacement isn't good enough. The goal was a comedy of errors, EEL let's a high ball bounce instead of meeting it on the full and is then outmuscled by their forward. A poor cross is then half hit towards the goal and our keeper goes down in installments and it somehow goes past him into the net. I actually though Mitchell put a shift in and had our only shot on target which their keeper saved early in the second half. So we had one shot on target throughout the game, Rodney hasn't had a shot in the last two games and he's our main goal threat. We need another forward because he was obviously reluctant to give Henderson minutes last night. McNulty sounds very positive in his post match interview yet there are glaring problems that he needs to address. We are powderpuff in attack and the players are missing easy chances, EEL had a open net to score in the first half and headed it ten yards wide.

We need a experienced dominant centre half, Oldham have signed Monthe and he's made a massive difference to their defence. I'm not feeling it with the keeper neither, his distribution is poor and he doesn't appear to command his box, he didn't fill me with confidence in the friendlies when he gifted Carlisle and Salford easy goals. So Jim, harping on about York players celebrating after the game as though they beat a top team is irrelevant, our midfield is working very well but other area of the pitch need improvement, in both boxes. We need to be more ruthless, same old story. The manager should be picking his strongest starting eleven, change things around against Yeovil if need be. McNulty thought we were the better team last night and deserved to win, he was obviously happy with the performance and as he says, that's what matters to him. In the meantime we are throwing away important points again and it's through our own inability to defend properly and put the ball in the net.
[Post edited 21 Aug 7:00]
York away match thread on 07:14 - Aug 21 with 4184 viewsDale_4_Life

Poor last night and although very early on the basic errors we need to cut out sooner rather than later.

The 3 players on the pitch who need to be shaken up are EEL / Mitchell and Rodney all 3 with us for the whole of last season so they know full well what is expected.

4th minute and an aimless punt should be dealt with easily by any hairy arsed lower league centre half. It was not lower league defending by EEL it was Sunday league. Why not just step up and head it clear? i suspect orders to bring the ball down at all cost and start to play out from the back. I am sorry but defending HAS to be first second and third there is a time and a place for the fancy stuff.

Mitchell looks at least a yard off the pace. No pace combined with a poor first touch and terrible decision making contributes to giving the ball away far to easily.

Rodney just couldnt get into the second consecutive game.

The stand out bright spark for me was Burger who looks a very decent player indeed when he came on (eventually).

York City looked a yard quicker a yard more direct - the defence was no nonsense and to be honest they could have won by more. First half Sinclair caused us lots of problems some of which we contributed too ourselves.

York have every right to celebrate there second win in 3 games their 3rd consecutive unbeaten and it takes them 4th. Dale would have done the same if the role was reversed.

No complaints, we have quality in this squad and what I hope is reality bites hard and the team understand that wins don't just appear you have to go out and earn them.

I expect a massive response and improvement Saturday as that last night is simply not good enough tactically or execution.

Boston we won they are now played 3 lost 3 and have not scored a goal

Dagenham and Redbridge lost last night to Woking

York looked the best of the bunch by some distance and Dale shot themselves in the foot as with some composure and better decision making we get something from this game.

It would be welcome to get back on track if we can get a win on Saturday.
[Post edited 21 Aug 7:19]
York away match thread on 08:26 - Aug 21 with 3954 viewsD_Alien

Despite the improvement noted on Saturday, we're in for another season of frustration unless McNulty can get his shit together and start competing rather than playing by the book

Not expecting miracles at all, but far less room for excuses this time, and just don't want to hear them

I suspect it's good enough for some, but if we're to become a sustainable community-based club there has to be a product that presents the opposition with problems, not plays into their hands. That simply doesn't resonate with the community we live in

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

York away match thread on 08:30 - Aug 21 with 3917 viewsdawlishdale

Just listened to the manager's interview. He obviously sees a different game to me. There's being positive which is fine and then there's going into denial.
We are shot shy Jim. One shot on target is not good enough. York looked the stronger team for much of the game and deserved the win.
Beginning to seriously doubt the logic of a 3 year deal.
York away match thread on 08:58 - Aug 21 with 3766 viewsNorthernDale

Having listen to McNulty, I despair, same old excuses 'York are a big budget team', yes they have spent money, but our playing budget as increased as well. He says Dale, were the better side, reading some of the responses from fans, including York fans, many have asked is he on something!

Apparently the team changes was based on him being a technical genius, in that he thought the changes would suit his game plan against York, which worked well. We all knew York would be an hard game, so why drop Beckwith who as impressed this season, you start with the strongest team possible. As someone as mentioned, sometimes he is more interested in the performance then winning games, in this he reminds me of BBM.

We need to get at least a win and a draw over the bank holiday weekend. Hopefully McNulty will wake up and listen, to get the results that will attract fans to Spotland.
York away match thread on 09:04 - Aug 21 with 3737 viewskel

I’m in no way saying last night was any good but it still makes me laugh when I see which posters only appear after a defeat. Nowhere to be seen when we swept Boston aside. New era indeed.
York away match thread on 09:13 - Aug 21 with 3686 viewsTrev

McNulty has a new problem this season and has to manage a squad of players rather than the team picking itself due to lack of options. I was concerned at his pre-match comments about rotation and my fears were realised with the team selection. I do think as a young student of the game Jim has a habit of overthinking things.
York away match thread on 09:30 - Aug 21 with 3601 views442Dale

York away match thread on 09:04 - Aug 21 by kel

I’m in no way saying last night was any good but it still makes me laugh when I see which posters only appear after a defeat. Nowhere to be seen when we swept Boston aside. New era indeed.

Unfortunately for McNulty, there are some who are waiting for “I told you so” games and his biggest flaw over his entire tenure is the opportunities he presents for that to happen. His team choices and interviews are most certainly deserving of criticism, it’s fair.

DAlien’s point about not playing by the book was a very good one. The manager appears to have addressed how we play with bringing in more direct players like Allarakhia and TAR. We now go into the forwards more quickly and attack with more pace, two valid criticisms last season, yet he then adds a layer of complication by making changes before the game and subs that appear planned rather than reacting to what we see. Add to that the bland, “by the book” interviews that are becoming a bingo tick box exercise causing more issues than there needs to be, and it’s a cauldron of unnecessary problems for the negative sides of the fanbase to gather around.

We were far from great last night, but nor were we anything like as difficult to watch as at times last season. As has been said in this thread, that EEL header goes in and it could have been a different night. It’s easy to ignore the actualities to try and prove a point.

All that aside, there may be one problem developing that is of McNulty’s making that hasn’t been really mentioned so far - we’ve had three midfield partnerships in three games. At some stage he’s going to have to choose who his preferred two are.

York away match thread on 09:32 - Aug 21 with 3586 views442Dale

York away match thread on 09:13 - Aug 21 by Trev

McNulty has a new problem this season and has to manage a squad of players rather than the team picking itself due to lack of options. I was concerned at his pre-match comments about rotation and my fears were realised with the team selection. I do think as a young student of the game Jim has a habit of overthinking things.

Really hope he can see this too. It’s early season and sometimes having these problems to solve at this stage can be a good thing.

York away match thread on 11:07 - Aug 21 with 3263 viewsDale_4_Life

York away match thread on 08:58 - Aug 21 by NorthernDale

Having listen to McNulty, I despair, same old excuses 'York are a big budget team', yes they have spent money, but our playing budget as increased as well. He says Dale, were the better side, reading some of the responses from fans, including York fans, many have asked is he on something!

Apparently the team changes was based on him being a technical genius, in that he thought the changes would suit his game plan against York, which worked well. We all knew York would be an hard game, so why drop Beckwith who as impressed this season, you start with the strongest team possible. As someone as mentioned, sometimes he is more interested in the performance then winning games, in this he reminds me of BBM.

We need to get at least a win and a draw over the bank holiday weekend. Hopefully McNulty will wake up and listen, to get the results that will attract fans to Spotland.

Just listened to the Big Jim Post match interview. I really like the fella but it was bordering delusional.

Greg your there (on our behalf) to probe and ask more relevant questions.

I would have had more respect and been a lot happier with 30 seconds....

Greg tonight was down to me.. I got some things wrong but we will address this as a team over the next 3 days and come out to put things right on Saturday. end of interview.

If EEL had headed the ball away like his header at goal we wouldn't have been on the back foot from the 4th minute chasing a game.

Better team...? sadly not from where i was sitting.
York away match thread on 16:25 - Aug 21 with 2525 viewsjpresto

Stewards were next to useless as a lot could not see the action at the far end because of all those stood in the gangways blocking the view. One foot in the sandy lane aisles and you're asked to move.
York away match thread on 17:21 - Aug 21 with 2299 viewsbluevein64

York away match thread on 11:07 - Aug 21 by Dale_4_Life

Just listened to the Big Jim Post match interview. I really like the fella but it was bordering delusional.

Greg your there (on our behalf) to probe and ask more relevant questions.

I would have had more respect and been a lot happier with 30 seconds....

Greg tonight was down to me.. I got some things wrong but we will address this as a team over the next 3 days and come out to put things right on Saturday. end of interview.

If EEL had headed the ball away like his header at goal we wouldn't have been on the back foot from the 4th minute chasing a game.

Better team...? sadly not from where i was sitting.

Just like his passing EEL's headed attempt at goal was awful, as was Kairo's gilt edged oppertunity, not to mention Burgers inability to knock the ball five yards into the six year box (full of Dale players, instead hitting the side netting ) from the by line with ninety seconds to go, the two up top virtually unemployed and they both got the full ninety minutes !!!!! - thats just four examples why we lost in my opinion - regarding Big Jim's post match interviews -
Greg - are you ready to do your post match interview Jim.
Jim - oh no - what shall I say .
Greg - don't worry Jim I'll ask you a few soft questions, just string it out for about four
minutes .......
I'm following many others on to the Band Wagon, massive improvement required !
York away match thread on 17:29 - Aug 21 with 2259 viewsNorthernDale

Jim it would it appear to have adopted the 3-5-2 system, but would it not be better to adopt a more flexible approach to away games by going back to 4 at the back to give the team more defensive depth. Because York seem to exploit the fact, we only had three effective defenders.
York away match thread on 17:47 - Aug 21 with 2173 views442Dale

York away match thread on 17:29 - Aug 21 by NorthernDale

Jim it would it appear to have adopted the 3-5-2 system, but would it not be better to adopt a more flexible approach to away games by going back to 4 at the back to give the team more defensive depth. Because York seem to exploit the fact, we only had three effective defenders.

We do go to a back four during games and did last night, especially during the first half. The adaptability of this system has been one of the main positives so far. We do need more defensive options in the form of a proper CH though.

Back to the interviews having now seen the Ryan East one as well, one way of getting more information out of players and the manager would be to try and avoid the technique where questions are asked which include a possible answer for the interviewee to immediately agree with.

Brief why/who/ what/how questions are easy enough.

York away match thread on 18:02 - Aug 21 with 2089 viewsJames1980

I agree that Greg or whoever is doing the post match interview should ask some more difficult questions. They don't need to be confrontational. My concern is the brief is don't 'question Jim'

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

York away match thread on 08:23 - Aug 22 with 1341 viewswheniwasyourage

York away match thread on 17:21 - Aug 21 by bluevein64

Just like his passing EEL's headed attempt at goal was awful, as was Kairo's gilt edged oppertunity, not to mention Burgers inability to knock the ball five yards into the six year box (full of Dale players, instead hitting the side netting ) from the by line with ninety seconds to go, the two up top virtually unemployed and they both got the full ninety minutes !!!!! - thats just four examples why we lost in my opinion - regarding Big Jim's post match interviews -
Greg - are you ready to do your post match interview Jim.
Jim - oh no - what shall I say .
Greg - don't worry Jim I'll ask you a few soft questions, just string it out for about four
minutes .......
I'm following many others on to the Band Wagon, massive improvement required !

I stopped listening to club interviews during the BBM era. I found that they just spoke in clichés and there were no real questions/answers that added any value. Remember the days under Hill - some of his interviews were funny as hell. Jim in particular talks in riddles and I cannot stand more than 10 seconds of his interviews... it would be nice to actually hear his real views and opinions rather than the party line or what he thinks we want to hear.

As to the team, same DNA and issues as last year but the players are improved and with more clinical finishing we should get better results oh for a Hogan, Holt or Whitehall!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024