Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era 10:49 - Aug 10 with 16805 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Let's be novel and have a Match thread! It might start a bit more conversation on here in line with the New Era and get some new posters in the debate.

Good Luck everyone and let's get off to a good start.
Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 09:47 - Aug 11 with 4642 viewsNorthernDale

Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 09:06 - Aug 11 by fitzochris

We set up as we had done in the two previous home friendlies. Rodney and Mitchell closer together up top, McBride coming in off the right with Henry and Gilmour across the middle. Allarakia played higher up the left flank and TAR, while getting forward, was expected to drop into right back when Boston were in possession, forcing the three centre backs of Gordon, EEL and Beckwith along one.

It was clear at the start that Boston were happy to stand off our centre backs around our own area and press once they advanced towards the half way line or played the out-ball to the flanks. This encouraged us to play some overhit long balls in the early stages, which was a little frustrating. However, once Gilmour threaded the ball through the middle for Rodney, who was wide awake, rounded the keeper and slotted home, Boston knew they had another vulnerability they needed to focus on.

In terms of our own vulnerability in the first half, the only joy Boston got was in the pocket on the left that was vacated by Allarakia getting forward and Beckwith needing to get across to cover. They managed a couple of dangerous crosses from there and cost Beckwith a booking having to bring a man down. The only other issue was the playing across the back which saw EEL have a ball charged down that mercifully went out of play. To be fair, Boston offered little more than a few wayward strokes towards goal or tame efforts easily held by McNicholas.

However, as the half wore on we ourselves were much, much better. Allarakia got two lovely balls across goal that deserved someone on the end of them, and TAR was creating some lovely one-twos on the other side.

Rodney produced another sublime finish after EEL played him in following Boston failing to clear a corner.

Second half was much better from us. We should’ve scored two more before Henderson sealed it. We used the substitutes well to kill the game and managed it out expertly as Boston looked tired and bereft of ideas. Take note when other teams do this to us!

All-in-all, a good day’s work to open the season but we will face tougher opposition this season for an absolute certainty.
[Post edited 11 Aug 9:08]

I thought that TAR would operate on the right, but would you suggest that TAR is operating in the old fashion sweeper role, similar to what Keohane sometimes played.

Reading comments on the Boston forum, they said we could have scored five and there was a massive difference between the teams. It was a good start to the season and hopefully we can challenge for a play off spot.
Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 09:54 - Aug 11 with 4579 views442Dale

Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 09:47 - Aug 11 by NorthernDale

I thought that TAR would operate on the right, but would you suggest that TAR is operating in the old fashion sweeper role, similar to what Keohane sometimes played.

Reading comments on the Boston forum, they said we could have scored five and there was a massive difference between the teams. It was a good start to the season and hopefully we can challenge for a play off spot.

It says he played on the right, as a wingback but able to drop into a more traditional RB position.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 11:02 - Aug 11 with 4387 viewsdawlishdale

A thoroughly deserved win and a great start to the campaign. By all accounts we could have won by more, but three away goals without reply is excellent. I'm sure we will come up against much sterner tests, but it's a good start.
Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 13:40 - Aug 11 with 3983 viewsBrierls

TAR did operate on the right. He is not performing any kind of sweeper role.
Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 13:46 - Aug 11 with 3951 viewsBrierls

A very good start. Boston will struggle, but I thought we were pretty dominant without really getting out of second gear.

I really like the formation we’re playing. It’s setup to attack and that’s what we’re doing. Lovely to see us mixing up the passing too, there were a few direct balls that will come off another time. It’s far less predictable for opposing teams. We have plenty of technical ability, these players can play some slick football.

The new signings were all good and Rodney will score plenty.
Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 13:56 - Aug 11 with 3882 viewsfitzochris

No, TAR was on the right as a wing back but could drop back to right back as required.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 14:20 - Aug 11 with 3754 viewsTalkingSutty

If year one of the new era is designed to put foundations in place, then the recruitment this summer in addition to the players we already had looks to be well thought out, still early days i know. We have players who are all more than capable of performing at this level and quite a few who could be sought after higher up in the pyramid as they develop. It's then a case of slowly increasing the calibre of player we bring into the club over the next couple of years. Those players cost more but we won't be signing a dozen players every summer, maybe two or three real quality signings. No need for anybody to become fixated on anything other than improvement in performance this season, that wll lead to more wins and the league table will look after itself. We saw that improvement yesterday.
Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 14:29 - Aug 11 with 3687 viewsBrierls

Just listened to both Jim & Sam Beckwith’s post match interviews. They’re happy but grounded and know there’s more to come. It’s refreshing; the feel good factor is back and we’ve got a reason to feel positive.
Login to get fewer ads

Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 15:34 - Aug 11 with 3389 viewsTalkingSutty

Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 14:29 - Aug 11 by Brierls

Just listened to both Jim & Sam Beckwith’s post match interviews. They’re happy but grounded and know there’s more to come. It’s refreshing; the feel good factor is back and we’ve got a reason to feel positive.

Soz, voted down in error. We've also finally got a reason to discuss football rather than some of the stuff that's surrounded the club over the last few years. The feel good factor is back, now we need the missing fans to return, starting this Saturday.
Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 16:20 - Aug 11 with 3246 viewsjudd

Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 14:29 - Aug 11 by Brierls

Wow. Not allowed out even though they won?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 19:32 - Aug 11 with 2817 viewsfrenzied

They looked like a side that have played together for a long time ..yet as we know they haven't..very encouraging start ..look comfortable on the ball in tight areas..communicated well and work rate excellent
Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 19:53 - Aug 11 with 2739 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 19:32 - Aug 11 by frenzied

They looked like a side that have played together for a long time ..yet as we know they haven't..very encouraging start ..look comfortable on the ball in tight areas..communicated well and work rate excellent

Our lot looked noticeably fitter even though they were not troubled with top gear.....Boston were visibly wilting towards the end.
Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 20:11 - Aug 11 with 2671 viewsjudd

Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 19:53 - Aug 11 by Yorkshire_Dale

Our lot looked noticeably fitter even though they were not troubled with top gear.....Boston were visibly wilting towards the end.

They're part time tbf

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 08:52 - Aug 12 with 2146 viewsNorthernDale

Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 19:32 - Aug 11 by frenzied

Do anyone know if we still used the consultants to identify players, who would fit into the squad system.
[Post edited 12 Aug 8:55]
Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 09:20 - Aug 12 with 2072 viewsTalkingSutty

Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 08:52 - Aug 12 by NorthernDale

Do anyone know if we still used the consultants to identify players, who would fit into the squad system.
[Post edited 12 Aug 8:55]

Not sure if we still use MRKT but what i will say is that the recruitment over the last two summers has been pretty impressive. Not all the signings will work out obviously but most of them seem decent. We are signing players who know there way around the National League and not just taking a punt on young untested footballers in the hope that they can make the step up.
Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 12:39 - Aug 12 with 1625 viewsDale_4_Life

My take on Saturday FWIW.

Boston United new main stand and bar very very impressive. The rest of the ground less so but plans to complete the 4th stand in time for next season.

Boston United produced a YELLOW AND BLACK newsletter that was handed to every fan. It asked for support on all levels with clear instructions what to do and how to go about being the very best Boston fan you can regarding membership. I think we should look at something similar.

The amount of supporters in Boston team shirts was very high (very impressive) the vast majority in a new team shirt be it home or away. They were all super friendly as well.

There new bar was great BUT They need 2 more staff serving drinks between 1pm and 2.30pm the queue was terrible we dont have this at Spotland so thank you Dale Bars.

Dale look a different proposition on the pitch and i would encourage any lapsed fan who is on the fence regarding a season card to go and get one by Friday latest. It is so important to get Spotland fuller on a match day.

There is an obvious uplift in quality, play, desire and team togetherness... Chalk and cheese to what we have witnessed over the last few seasons.

Being a little critical as old school thought process... at 0-2 and on 60 minutes our new keeper drills it short and hard to the centre half who has 2 boston forwards on his shoulder. The first touch has to be perfect under pressure or we gift Boston a way back into the game that should be dead and buried. Thankfully we got away with it (Twice). What do i know.. its the modern way it just gives me the jeebies.

Not sure how much raw pace Alfa has.. late into the second half with the Boston fullback obviously struggling he could have knocked it down the touchline for himself to run onto but instead cut back inside. Obviously no big deal but would have liked to have seen him at least once to go on the outside and stretch the defender.

Couple of cheap yellows (ideally cut them out) Gilmour for diving.

All in all the whole team did the club / themselves and the supporters proud. On paper a tricky opening test away from home and a superb 0-3 full time scoreline is dreamland.

It could have been 0-4 or even 0-5 as others posted including home fans. On Saturday we will entertain Dagenham and Redbridge in the first home game. I really hope the weather is fair and we get a good attendance and another positive emphatic display from this new look Rochdale team.

A fantastic opening game. Onwards and Upwards.

UTD.
Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 12:55 - Aug 12 with 1563 viewsD_Alien

Match thread....Boston United (away) New Era on 12:39 - Aug 12 by Dale_4_Life

My take on Saturday FWIW.

Boston United new main stand and bar very very impressive. The rest of the ground less so but plans to complete the 4th stand in time for next season.

Boston United produced a YELLOW AND BLACK newsletter that was handed to every fan. It asked for support on all levels with clear instructions what to do and how to go about being the very best Boston fan you can regarding membership. I think we should look at something similar.

The amount of supporters in Boston team shirts was very high (very impressive) the vast majority in a new team shirt be it home or away. They were all super friendly as well.

There new bar was great BUT They need 2 more staff serving drinks between 1pm and 2.30pm the queue was terrible we dont have this at Spotland so thank you Dale Bars.

Dale look a different proposition on the pitch and i would encourage any lapsed fan who is on the fence regarding a season card to go and get one by Friday latest. It is so important to get Spotland fuller on a match day.

There is an obvious uplift in quality, play, desire and team togetherness... Chalk and cheese to what we have witnessed over the last few seasons.

Being a little critical as old school thought process... at 0-2 and on 60 minutes our new keeper drills it short and hard to the centre half who has 2 boston forwards on his shoulder. The first touch has to be perfect under pressure or we gift Boston a way back into the game that should be dead and buried. Thankfully we got away with it (Twice). What do i know.. its the modern way it just gives me the jeebies.

Not sure how much raw pace Alfa has.. late into the second half with the Boston fullback obviously struggling he could have knocked it down the touchline for himself to run onto but instead cut back inside. Obviously no big deal but would have liked to have seen him at least once to go on the outside and stretch the defender.

Couple of cheap yellows (ideally cut them out) Gilmour for diving.

All in all the whole team did the club / themselves and the supporters proud. On paper a tricky opening test away from home and a superb 0-3 full time scoreline is dreamland.

It could have been 0-4 or even 0-5 as others posted including home fans. On Saturday we will entertain Dagenham and Redbridge in the first home game. I really hope the weather is fair and we get a good attendance and another positive emphatic display from this new look Rochdale team.

A fantastic opening game. Onwards and Upwards.

UTD.

No need to add FWIW... that's a great post and it's worth every bit as much as anyone else's

Some great points too, without being either uncritical or hypercritical

If we drop any points this season through the type of mindless pass from a goalkick you describe i'll be spitting blood. Cut this shit out and (by all accounts, not seen us yet) it sounds very promising

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024