Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 216917 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 18:44 - Jun 19 with 1707 viewshubble

General Election Thread on 16:42 - Jun 18 by Esox_Lucius

In a nation surrounded by seas, it is unforgivable to not be utilising wave power generators to provide electricity. Once past the manufacturing, and any impact caused by installation/ end of life removal stage, you are looking at 100% clean electricity provision.
A lot appear to be conflating a normal rate of climate change with the currently observed much higher rate of change.

Agree with this 100%. It's absolutely criminal that we are not utilising the enormous potential of wave energy. Some time ago on here posted about the proposed Severn estuary scheme that would have provided a massive amount of energy for the UK (something like 25% of all our energy needs off the top of my head). That this scheme was shelved in favour of a proposed nuclear power station is insane and stinks of vested interests.

For me it is vital that the UK secures control of its own energy supplies and the problem with the current net zero policies is that they mean - like in Germany, where their 'green' energy drive has really fcked them - a reliance on energy from elsewhere, often, ludicrously, from fossil fuels. And that is totally counterproductive, whatever your views on climate change.

Also look at what I posted in regard to New Zealand's green energy push that they've had to abandon. There has to be a case for utilising fossil fuel resources wisely and cleanly until truly 'clean' energy is fully operational. And the shortest and fastest route to that is not solar or wind, it's tidal.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

General Election Thread on 22:30 - Jun 19 with 1584 viewsEsox_Lucius

To further muddy the waters; it appears that Labour will be carrying on with Free Enterprise Zones if they win. Along with introducing US style health insurance for medical care, this would remove the ECHR, any workers rights and removal of a minimum wage. Just my opinion, but I can't see many current UK workforce standing for that but I bet a government could entice refugees to do it in return for citizenship along with people on benefits being threatened with loss of them if they don't comply.

The grass is always greener.

General Election Thread on 22:46 - Jun 19 with 1557 viewsStJude82

I believe we will see a government with the biggest majority on the smallest share of the vote, EVER.
General Election Thread on 01:15 - Jun 20 with 1487 viewsHAYESBOY

I just got a feeling its not going to be the arse whooping every poll suggest.

I would guess more like 100-150 seat majority, rather than the 200+ and only 50 seats for the Tories. I mean its a whooping from where they were in 2019 but I'm not sure its a record breaker on its way.
Although I am looking forward to some Portillo moments in the early hours of July 5th, with some faces looking like a slapped bum.

Smells like a trout farm in here

General Election Thread on 05:01 - Jun 20 with 1436 viewsFDC

General Election Thread on 22:46 - Jun 19 by StJude82

I believe we will see a government with the biggest majority on the smallest share of the vote, EVER.

... on a historically low turnout.
General Election Thread on 05:57 - Jun 20 with 1409 viewsdsw2509

I’m looking forward to some Portillo moments. The Tories deserve a kicking for Brexit and the Lettuce. It would be funny though if Lib Dem’s become the official opposition. That would give Ed Davey 6 questions at PMQ’s and whoever ends up as Tory leader with 2.
General Election Thread on 07:28 - Jun 20 with 1337 viewsstevec

General Election Thread on 03:58 - Jun 18 by SydneyRs

Plenty of online experts with no scientific background (but degrees in facebook groups, "university of life" etc) convinced that it is all made up and climate scientists are in it for themselves. Meanwhile not a hint of the fossil fuel industry perhaps being slightly conflicted. Same here in Australia were the fossil fuel industry is very powerful and basically has the current leader of the opposition on strings.

Without the fossil fuel industry wouldn’t Australia go bust?

Be careful what you wish for.
General Election Thread on 07:52 - Jun 20 with 1274 viewsEsox_Lucius

General Election Thread on 07:28 - Jun 20 by stevec

Without the fossil fuel industry wouldn’t Australia go bust?

Be careful what you wish for.

If any nation could go 100% Solar and Wave power I would guess Australia would be near the top of the list, especially as nearly all the populated areas are around the periphery.

Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 08:09 - Jun 20 with 1240 viewsstowmarketrange

General Election Thread on 05:57 - Jun 20 by dsw2509

I’m looking forward to some Portillo moments. The Tories deserve a kicking for Brexit and the Lettuce. It would be funny though if Lib Dem’s become the official opposition. That would give Ed Davey 6 questions at PMQ’s and whoever ends up as Tory leader with 2.

Another 2 Tory mps in trouble today for betting on the date of the election.As if they weren’t in enough trouble as it is.
There are rumours that even Rishi Sunk might lose his seat too.
General Election Thread on 08:09 - Jun 20 with 1240 viewsstevec

General Election Thread on 07:52 - Jun 20 by Esox_Lucius

If any nation could go 100% Solar and Wave power I would guess Australia would be near the top of the list, especially as nearly all the populated areas are around the periphery.

Australia earns a fortune from exporting fossil fuels.

Exporting solar and wave power is not even an option.

I can’t work out if it’s a lack of understanding of economics or just a willingness to impoverish whole nations on the whim that climate change may or may not turn out to be catastrophic. Going green is laudable but you have to start weighing up the huge consequences.
General Election Thread on 08:22 - Jun 20 with 1195 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 08:09 - Jun 20 by stevec

I can’t work out if it’s a lack of understanding of economics or just a willingness to impoverish whole nations on the whim that climate change may or may not turn out to be catastrophic. Going green is laudable but you have to start weighing up the huge consequences.

Steve, to describe the need for a massive response to climate change as a 'whim' is head in the sand stuff.

The consequences of fossil fuel production have already caused huge problems around the world and these problems get worse with every passing year. Whole nations are already being impoverished by the burning of fossil fuels.
General Election Thread on 08:52 - Jun 20 with 3385 viewsslmrstid

"Tory candidate looked into over betting claims married to campaign director"

I mean....sheesh...are people just stupid or what?
General Election Thread on 09:36 - Jun 20 with 3310 viewsEsox_Lucius

Who said export? I was talking about self sufficiency without fossil fuels.
"climate change may or may not turn out to be catastrophic." it already is, Look at what is happening to the oceans and coral. Climate change is a normal progression; it's the current rate of change which damaging.. What is so hard to understand about that?

General Election Thread on 10:11 - Jun 20 with 3251 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Norway has been solving that problem since 1967.

You’ll note Australia are planning the same I’m sure.

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2017/09/23/norways-sovereign-wea
[Post edited 20 Jun 10:13]
General Election Thread on 13:18 - Jun 20 with 3100 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 08:09 - Jun 20 by stowmarketrange

Another 2 Tory mps in trouble today for betting on the date of the election.As if they weren’t in enough trouble as it is.
There are rumours that even Rishi Sunk might lose his seat too.

He’ll resign and be off to California by mid-July anyway. Wonder whether the lead story will be a sitting PM losing their seat for the first time (I believe) amidst probably the most horrendous election loss ever or Reform winning a seat they were expected to win.
General Election Thread on 13:56 - Jun 20 with 3041 viewsdaveB

General Election Thread on 08:52 - Jun 20 by slmrstid

"Tory candidate looked into over betting claims married to campaign director"

I mean....sheesh...are people just stupid or what?

the front of these people always looking to make a few quid for themselves, showed their true colours with those contracts for PPE during covid and still doing it now
General Election Thread on 14:22 - Jun 20 with 2966 viewsPhildo

General Election Thread on 13:56 - Jun 20 by daveB

the front of these people always looking to make a few quid for themselves, showed their true colours with those contracts for PPE during covid and still doing it now

yep, I assumed at the beginning the polls would narrow a bit but now it begins to look like they are looking at an extinction event. I don't think the love for anyone else is too deep its more a 'these chancers have got to go' election.
General Election Thread on 14:49 - Jun 20 with 2937 viewsslmrstid

General Election Thread on 13:56 - Jun 20 by daveB

The bit I can't get my head around is that they seem not to have thought about how sophisticated betting companies software is, and how a "small" (figuratively speaking) £100 bet would make moves on a market like that that it would enable betting companies to spot irregular patterns straight away.

I mean...its actually really, really, really stupid.
General Election Thread on 16:14 - Jun 20 with 2883 viewsderbyhoop

The consequences of not changing to renewables is likely to be the loss of sizeable.parts of the world, e.g. The Maldives and much of Bangladesh.
Sure, there will be a cost to those countries that have relied on fossile fuels, including most of the industrialised West.
A cost worth bearing?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 16:51 - Jun 20 with 2835 viewsstowmarketrange

General Election Thread on 14:22 - Jun 20 by Phildo

yep, I assumed at the beginning the polls would narrow a bit but now it begins to look like they are looking at an extinction event. I don't think the love for anyone else is too deep its more a 'these chancers have got to go' election.

There always seems to be enough people with short memories who forget the scandals involving the Tory party and vote for them again.I don’t think it will happen this time though.
General Election Thread on 18:03 - Jun 20 with 2768 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 16:14 - Jun 20 by derbyhoop

The consequences of not changing to renewables is likely to be the loss of sizeable.parts of the world, e.g. The Maldives and much of Bangladesh.
Sure, there will be a cost to those countries that have relied on fossile fuels, including most of the industrialised West.
A cost worth bearing?

As we know, the 2/3s world has been suffering the effects of global warming for several decades already. Not having the wealth of the richer countries such as the UK, they are far less able to cope with floods, drought, crop failure, hurricanes, increased disease and the rest. In short, it will be the poorest who will pay the highest price for the wealthiest profligacy.
General Election Thread on 14:09 - Jun 23 with 2408 viewscolinallcars

I said to our local Tory candidate “ you've got no chance in this election”
“Wanna bet ?” He said.
General Election Thread on 15:19 - Jun 23 with 2319 viewsHAYESBOY

General Election Thread on 16:51 - Jun 20 by stowmarketrange

There always seems to be enough people with short memories who forget the scandals involving the Tory party and vote for them again.I don’t think it will happen this time though.

With this lot there will be another one along in a minute, like buses these Tory scandals.

Smells like a trout farm in here

General Election Thread on 20:09 - Jun 23 with 2201 viewsEsox_Lucius

So... Netanyahu's puppet or Putin's puppet. Tough choices ahead.

General Election Thread on 09:17 - Jun 24 with 2003 viewsBluce_Ree

General Election Thread on 20:09 - Jun 23 by Esox_Lucius

So... Netanyahu's puppet or Putin's puppet. Tough choices ahead.

Well, if Putin succeeds, we're all fked.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024