Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 12:42 - Apr 3 with 15780 viewsNotLoyal

Play off chasers Millwall will be looking to return to winning ways in the Championship when they welcome Swansea City to the English capital on Tuesday night. The home side are currently 10th in the table, four points behind sixth-placed Blackburn Rovers, while Swansea, who thrashed Cardiff City on Saturday, occupy 16th position, 11 points off the playoffs.

MILLWALL
Millwall won five straight Championship matches between February 12 and March 5 to place themselves firmly in contention for a playoff spot, but they have only picked up maximum points from their last five games. Since beating Huddersfield Town 2-0 in the middle of March, they have lost to Stoke City and drawn with Luton Town, which has seen them drop into 10th spot in the table, four points behind sixth-placed Blackburn. The Lions now have back-to-back home matches against Swansea and Barnsley before a trip to Preston North End on April 15, and it will be fascinating to see where the capital outfit are in the table heading into their home clash with Hull City on April 18.

Millwall have never played in the Premier League, so it would be some achievement if they earned promotion to the top flight, but they have a lot of work to do to reach the top six, with Huddersfield, Luton Town, Middlesbrough and Blackburn currently the four teams in the playoffs.

SWANSEA CITY
Russell Martin's side have picked up seven points from their last three matches against Peterborough United, Birmingham City and Cardiff during a strong run, but a disappointing campaign overall has left them down in 16th spot in the table, boasting 51 points from 38 matches.The Swans are 11 points behind sixth-placed Blackburn with two matches in hand; the team can still mathematically finish in the playoffs, but it is incredibly unlikely due to the amount of sides above them. Swansea have been missing from the Premier League since the 2017-18 campaign, losing in the Championship playoffs in each of the last two seasons, and they are set for a fourth straight season in the second tier of English football, but the supporters will have been encouraged by the team's recent performances.

The matchday referee Andrew Davies has handed out an astonishing 81 cards in 28 games this season.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/57478/manning-returns-an

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/57479/in-form-millwall-a

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/57483/millwall-v-swansea

More to follow.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/ on 22:55 - Apr 5 with 1628 viewsSTID2017

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/ on 22:50 - Apr 5 by union_jack

That’s why I said understandably. I probably just focussed on the negatives tonight so maybe being a tad unfair. I genuinely like him and feel he should have had much more game time this season.

Agree.
I hope he stays as has a lot to offer

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 22:59 - Apr 5 with 1614 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 21:40 - Apr 5 by 73__73

You’re having a mare son absolute nightmare.

He can’t help it. He hates the swans

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 23:03 - Apr 5 with 1597 viewsguthrieintherain

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 22:59 - Apr 5 by Brynmill_Jack

He can’t help it. He hates the swans

To be fair he did post something positive after Saturday.

But yes he would be on here non stop if we lost.
Some just enjoy moaning.

Poll: What will happen with Morgan Whittaker

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 23:39 - Apr 5 with 1514 viewsSTID2017

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 23:03 - Apr 5 by guthrieintherain

To be fair he did post something positive after Saturday.

But yes he would be on here non stop if we lost.
Some just enjoy moaning.

Now you are moaning about him moaning ?
And I am moaning about you moaning ?
Where does it end ?

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 01:26 - Apr 6 with 1431 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

It is good to see us attacking quicker in consecutive matches, thus increasing the number of dangerous attacks we attempt throughout the ninety minutes. Hopefully this is indicative of a permanent change in our approach to matches.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 05:51 - Apr 6 with 1364 viewsvetchonian

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 22:07 - Apr 5 by builthjack

It's great to have positivity and not have posters knocking Martin every other sentence.
Like a breath of fresh air.

always lots of positivity when we win....also we are playing with intent purpose and pace....as Doc Winston said triangles are back.

My criticism has always been because I believed this squad had more to offer we seem to have tweaked our play....let's look forward to another win on Saturday....

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 06:05 - Apr 6 with 1357 viewsKeithHaynes

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 06:28 - Apr 6 with 1325 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 06:05 - Apr 6 by KeithHaynes

Piroe outstanding last night - created two or three cracking chances for Oba and scored a cracking goal. His reaction to the ball dropping to him was instantaneous and lethal. Another with his right foot which looks as powerful as his left - what an all round player he is. So so hope he stays because I can see him breaking his goal total next season.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 06:38 - Apr 6 with 1323 viewsDr_Winston

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 22:53 - Apr 5 by builthjack

3 games without conceding. Long may it continue.

Confident that we'd have beaten Birmingham too with Paterson and Downes available. Would have been four wins on the spin then.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 07:48 - Apr 6 with 1253 viewsvetchonian

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 06:38 - Apr 6 by Dr_Winston

Confident that we'd have beaten Birmingham too with Paterson and Downes available. Would have been four wins on the spin then.

yet we won away to in form Millwall without them last night.
More significant to me is the absence of Smith both on Saturday and last night....less defensive maybe...

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 08:32 - Apr 6 with 1217 views73__73

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 12:49 - Apr 4 by Chief

The boys were out on Wind Street after the game which isn't ideal preparation for a Tuesday away game that's a fair trip.

So probably lose by a few, but don't care really.

Your rationale for the Swans losing at Millwall was based on them being in wind st on Saturday evening.

I think it’s fair to say you are a football metaphorical illiterate.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 08:36 - Apr 6 with 1212 viewsraynor94

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 05:51 - Apr 6 by vetchonian

always lots of positivity when we win....also we are playing with intent purpose and pace....as Doc Winston said triangles are back.

My criticism has always been because I believed this squad had more to offer we seem to have tweaked our play....let's look forward to another win on Saturday....

Ah come on, your criticism has always been Martin, from the day he walked in through the door.

You said you had studied him and he was a charlatan! the vast majority on here accepted it would be a transitional season and next season would be the acid test.

But sorry you have taken negativity to a new level

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 09:03 - Apr 6 with 1168 viewsSTID2017

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 08:36 - Apr 6 by raynor94

Ah come on, your criticism has always been Martin, from the day he walked in through the door.

You said you had studied him and he was a charlatan! the vast majority on here accepted it would be a transitional season and next season would be the acid test.

Not alone on that negative view of Martin.
A few have wavered after poor performances ( including me ) but overall many have been patient.
Looks like it is being rewarded at last night.
Some of last night's football was sublime

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 09:19 - Apr 6 with 1131 viewsunion_jack

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 01:26 - Apr 6 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

It is good to see us attacking quicker in consecutive matches, thus increasing the number of dangerous attacks we attempt throughout the ninety minutes. Hopefully this is indicative of a permanent change in our approach to matches.

Indeed. You could argue that the Cardiff game was a bit false because they gave us all the time in the world, a classic case of Morison not doing his homework or arrogance that his style would work.

Last night though, Millwall were in our faces but we managed to (scarily at times) pass our way out of danger and have width with Christie and Wolf (who still has a lot more to offer hopefully).

So not only did we manage the high press but we got into scoring positions in numerous occasions. We’ve not seen enough of that this season to be fair.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 09:23 - Apr 6 with 1125 viewscadleigh

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 09:03 - Apr 6 by STID2017

Not alone on that negative view of Martin.
A few have wavered after poor performances ( including me ) but overall many have been patient.
Looks like it is being rewarded at last night.
Some of last night's football was sublime

I agree - there were some very classy moments of football from the Swans last night and very encouraging signs of what this squad is capable of. Much of the first half was incredibly dull, though. Lot of work still to do.

And this is a relatively minor quibble, but the young lads behind me last night were chanting 'Have you ever done the double on the Swans? Have you f@ck!' The correct answer to which, if you are a Millwall supporter, is 'yes, in 1924, 1933 and 1966'.

Poll: How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around?

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 09:58 - Apr 6 with 1077 viewsvetchonian

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 08:36 - Apr 6 by raynor94

Mr criticism was hos style and approach.....he seems to have tweaked it....swe are playing wigth more intent and purpose...playing to Obafemi 's strnegths his pace ..the number of times we knock the ball into box or the channel fo rhim to run onto has increased...we play some positve moves coming forward from defence we are not always looking to just "keep" the ball.

I had looked into his history ..BUT it does apeear he is learning...and adapting.

I was negative early on as so many were saying how much better we were than last season yet I sat through Milwall at home where we played a totally different brand of football to last night.....And that is just not as a result of things clicking...we seem over the last couple of games to be looking to "use" the ball more rather than keep it and then walk it into the goal.

IT didnt seem Martin was going to adapt his philosphy...he seems to have had an epiphany....even to the point of starting Fulton ahead of Smith....

LEts see how the rest of the season goes...and how next season starts....Im starting to be be persauded....Lets see hoe it goes.

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 10:57 - Apr 6 with 1024 viewsraynor94

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 09:58 - Apr 6 by vetchonian

Mr criticism was hos style and approach.....he seems to have tweaked it....swe are playing wigth more intent and purpose...playing to Obafemi 's strnegths his pace ..the number of times we knock the ball into box or the channel fo rhim to run onto has increased...we play some positve moves coming forward from defence we are not always looking to just "keep" the ball.

I had looked into his history ..BUT it does apeear he is learning...and adapting.

I was negative early on as so many were saying how much better we were than last season yet I sat through Milwall at home where we played a totally different brand of football to last night.....And that is just not as a result of things clicking...we seem over the last couple of games to be looking to "use" the ball more rather than keep it and then walk it into the goal.

IT didnt seem Martin was going to adapt his philosphy...he seems to have had an epiphany....even to the point of starting Fulton ahead of Smith....

LEts see how the rest of the season goes...and how next season starts....Im starting to be be persauded....Lets see hoe it goes.

Fair enough

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 11:15 - Apr 6 with 1004 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 09:23 - Apr 6 by cadleigh

I agree - there were some very classy moments of football from the Swans last night and very encouraging signs of what this squad is capable of. Much of the first half was incredibly dull, though. Lot of work still to do.

And this is a relatively minor quibble, but the young lads behind me last night were chanting 'Have you ever done the double on the Swans? Have you f@ck!' The correct answer to which, if you are a Millwall supporter, is 'yes, in 1924, 1933 and 1966'.

I doubt that chant was intended to be aimed at the good citizens of Bermondsey.
Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 12:00 - Apr 6 with 928 viewskrunchykarrot

The way i see it is you can employthe best coach in the world say Pep and there would be a transition period, some players just not meeting the criteria some not able to get fit enough. There is no way in the world you can judge a coach playing this way after a handfull of games come to that its the same with players like Ghuhi and Gallaghar being examples of fans unwarranted criticism that have come back to haunt. Fisher seems to be the latest, total rubbish spouted after 2 games, now dont get me wrong im not sure he is world class but my point is lets wait before digging a hole and spouting off then trying to post to suit your early narrative.
Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 12:13 - Apr 6 with 902 viewsvetchonian

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 12:00 - Apr 6 by krunchykarrot

The way i see it is you can employthe best coach in the world say Pep and there would be a transition period, some players just not meeting the criteria some not able to get fit enough. There is no way in the world you can judge a coach playing this way after a handfull of games come to that its the same with players like Ghuhi and Gallaghar being examples of fans unwarranted criticism that have come back to haunt. Fisher seems to be the latest, total rubbish spouted after 2 games, now dont get me wrong im not sure he is world class but my point is lets wait before digging a hole and spouting off then trying to post to suit your early narrative.

except a lot of my early narrative was based on Martins time at MKDons. also as he seemed to be continuing with the same here

what we saw last night was a different style and tactic to the home game V Millwall and other games .....

Something has changed...maybe Curt had a word in his ear after the Brum game on the day he deopped in to present shirts ....a video did the rounds where Curt joked about " analysing2 that game....
I just dont get this transition period everyone talked about it happens almost every season as players move on....

The great thing is we now seem ( for the last two games) to be playing attractive football with attacking intent....We seem to have reduced the knocking the ball around in our defensove third for the sake of it....

I criticised many times i am now praising Martin giving credit where credit is due as he has adapted.....he has dropped Smith and gone for the more attacking Fulton for example...brinign him on on saturday and starting hoim last night....

I was ppprobably RMs biggest critic but I can also see how he does seem to be learning wheras I thought he was too stubborn to change.

Still a way to go but if he and we continue as we have from the last two games things will be good....lets see if it develops or he reverts to type
[Post edited 6 Apr 2022 12:16]

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 12:57 - Apr 6 with 858 viewsjasper_T

Ejecting Smith from the 10 positions took way too long to happen. Martin was so sure he was going to surprise people in the role but we've always looked far better without him.

I wouldn't even have Smith on the bench now except maybe as emergency backup at wingback where he's done alright.
Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 13:24 - Apr 6 with 810 viewsSTID2017

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 12:57 - Apr 6 by jasper_T

Ejecting Smith from the 10 positions took way too long to happen. Martin was so sure he was going to surprise people in the role but we've always looked far better without him.

I wouldn't even have Smith on the bench now except maybe as emergency backup at wingback where he's done alright.

I would keep Smith on the bench for the rest of this season as the bench looks a bit low on experience.
Hopefully in the summer, we will see an upgrade for Smith and other strengthening

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 13:26 - Apr 6 with 808 viewsRichardO

Nice to get the win after Saturday's game could have dropped off. Has started playing players in positions they can play in and accepted we already had some players who can play at this level while slowly ironing out defensive/midfield issues, getting there.
Only from the highlights look like a lot of play now going through Piroe.
Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 13:39 - Apr 6 with 773 viewskrunchykarrot

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 12:13 - Apr 6 by vetchonian

except a lot of my early narrative was based on Martins time at MKDons. also as he seemed to be continuing with the same here

what we saw last night was a different style and tactic to the home game V Millwall and other games .....

Something has changed...maybe Curt had a word in his ear after the Brum game on the day he deopped in to present shirts ....a video did the rounds where Curt joked about " analysing2 that game....
I just dont get this transition period everyone talked about it happens almost every season as players move on....

The great thing is we now seem ( for the last two games) to be playing attractive football with attacking intent....We seem to have reduced the knocking the ball around in our defensove third for the sake of it....

I criticised many times i am now praising Martin giving credit where credit is due as he has adapted.....he has dropped Smith and gone for the more attacking Fulton for example...brinign him on on saturday and starting hoim last night....

I was ppprobably RMs biggest critic but I can also see how he does seem to be learning wheras I thought he was too stubborn to change.

Still a way to go but if he and we continue as we have from the last two games things will be good....lets see if it develops or he reverts to type
[Post edited 6 Apr 2022 12:16]

"except a lot of my early narrative was based on Martins time at MKDons. also as he seemed to be continuing with the same here" But the same system.

The Fulton point you make is a valid one i think Smith has had some good perfomances and is a good pro but it is obvious he hasnt the legs for this system along with Bennet and a couple of others. I can only assume something was array behind the scenes.

As for the Curt comment seriously, and your last sentence validates my earlier post.
Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 13:42 - Apr 6 with 768 viewskrunchykarrot

Millwall v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 21/22 on 12:57 - Apr 6 by jasper_T

As ive said previously i think Jay has been hard done by, but we dont know what goes on behind the scenes.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024