Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London Lisa 16:18 - Mar 22 with 4078 viewsDr_Parnassus

Written a terrific post on Swansea’s second forum. We have had our disagreements in the past but will always give credit when and where it’s due.

A thoroughly excellent read and agree with every word. Not sure how anyone could argue.

I’m sure she (or anyone else) won’t mind me posting it on here as a discussion point.

……………..

“I genuinely think people are watching a different game to me.

Firstly, Cooper didn’t play hoof ball. And as for turgid, imagine that match we’ve just endured with zero crowd noise and atmosphere and then talk boring.

Secondly we don’t at present ‘play football’. We aimlessly pass it back and forth with almost no movement and no pace (although it can look pleasant) until we reach the half way line, where we suffer vertigo and have no idea whatsoever what to do. At this point, Wolf or Christie will almost always lose the ball, the team we are playing breaks relatively quickly and we realise we are quite hopelessly out of position, overloaded at the back, and reliant on the fact that the majority of championship teams can’t finish very well (see Birmingham as an example of this).
Almost all of our actual goals come from longer or quicker balls, played instead of the Martin recycle of the sake of it mantra.

The system we employ is designed to both overload in attack and overload in defence, resulting in rapid recovery of the ball where we lose possession and dominant attack. Liverpool don’t play it. Man City do. When Man City play it often looks like they have more players on the pitch than the other team. It’s because of the system. Liverpool are more similar to Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup etc.

But this system , relies on several pieces being in place for it to work.
One is wing backs who are genuinely attackers when we attack and defenders when we defend. What we have is attackers who aren’t as fast and skilful as proper wingers would be, yet who lack the pace to recover and defend when necessary, so the worst of both worlds.

It also relies on central midfielders who switch play quickly from back to front and from side to side. Man City do it well because they have De Bruyne amongst others. We have Grimes as our number one. Who only has one foot and has the turning circle of a Range Rover so can’t do what is needed quickly enough. Allowing the other team to recover and the attacking overload to disappear.

You also need centre backs who are athletic enough to cover side to side in the absence of full backs, are strong enough or have sufficient anticipation to prevent the aerial threat in the presence of a tall opposition striker, yet are able to play to the extent that one or other breaks the line as part of the attacking overload depending on what side it is or whether we have split further up the pitch to allow the central player to advance. We don’t have that. We have full backs as holding players, centre backs as wider players and no one with an ounce of pace. And our keeper at present doesn’t seem strong enough either for the system.

Instead of attacking and defensive overloading we lose the attacking overload because we are so bloody slow and yet are out of position to the extent that our players are not athletic or fast enough to create the defensive overload. In fact, it’s so bad it creates a defensive deficit for us.

It’s not rocket science, it’s completely obvious what we are trying to do, and even more obvious why we don’t have the ability to make it work. The fact that Martin won’t accept that, and seems to think it’s a tactic so clever that any players can make it work is ridiculous.

Our play is predictable and boring the vast majority of the time. Unless we discover a hidden gem or four in our youth or for relatively minimal transfer fees, we will never get it to work without significant amendment. Martinez, Rodgers etc created the overload by fast movement of players and ball, creating an overload by use of triangles where one player could be part of three triangles at a time, left side, right side and forward spot with the other players doing the same thing. It meant we always had an available out. The beauty of that is it didn’t rely on raw athleticism, but instead quick thinking, positional sense and quick feet. Easier to find smart players who maybe smaller or less naturally athletic than others, but who could fit in to our system. Also cheaper as too many teams look for the same athletic attributes so may discard smaller or less athletic players even if they have the quicker brain.

Anyway, that all a bit rambling way of saying that Martin will either change his approach or will continue doing badly.

And I’ve been watching us since 1976 so don’t bother with the whole ‘you’ve obviously just been watching us for two minutes’ nonsense.

Finally, I do wish people would stop saying our history shows us to be ‘x’ level. That was before we spent 7 years earning the best part of a billion quid playing in the premier league at the height of its earning power with very little to show for it (as a club that is - a few have quite a bit to show for it).”

…………………..

Bravo Lisa, one of the best analytical posts I think I have read on these forums 👏
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 16:20]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

London Lisa on 16:27 - Mar 22 with 2350 viewsKeithHaynes

As we have always tried to do, we support all forums and all opinions, however when they turn nasty and hateful as some of the forum posts are on this and other sites towards us, we won’t back down.

Nice one Lisa, a valued opinion in amongst a mass of diatribe.

#NFFC

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

London Lisa on 16:29 - Mar 22 with 2339 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Absolutely.

As some of us have been saying since a few weeks into the season - we genuinely need the likes of Kyle Walker in defence and De Bruyne in attack for this system to 'work'.

I do enjoy chuckling at the "40 pass" highlight videos the club's social media (and lately Martin's brainwashed coaching staff) like to publish.

Usually the clips end before we get within 50 yards of the opponent's goal. Or, if it's a highlight of a goal, it will show show us passing the ball around the back under no pressure for two minutes. Then, someone aimlessly lumps it upfield when the opposition finally press and we score within a few seconds of winning the second ball.

We're a parody of Manchester City.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 16:30]

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

London Lisa on 17:26 - Mar 22 with 2266 viewsvetchonian

London Lisa on 16:29 - Mar 22 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Absolutely.

As some of us have been saying since a few weeks into the season - we genuinely need the likes of Kyle Walker in defence and De Bruyne in attack for this system to 'work'.

I do enjoy chuckling at the "40 pass" highlight videos the club's social media (and lately Martin's brainwashed coaching staff) like to publish.

Usually the clips end before we get within 50 yards of the opponent's goal. Or, if it's a highlight of a goal, it will show show us passing the ball around the back under no pressure for two minutes. Then, someone aimlessly lumps it upfield when the opposition finally press and we score within a few seconds of winning the second ball.

We're a parody of Manchester City.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 16:30]

We are a parody of Swansea City FC that was

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

London Lisa on 17:32 - Mar 22 with 2261 viewsTim_Harry

I enjoyed reading that. Even if I was often sighing at the thought of what could be if we signed some wingers and went back to playing something like the Martinez/Rodgers/Laudrup way.

I remember a lot of posters on here back then saying something along the lines of 'the squad as a whole was stronger than the sum of its parts'. Which was absolutely true. We had a system that made almost all of the players better than they had been elsewhere.

I'd say we're the opposite now. We're heavily reliant on the likes of Paterson, Piroe and Obafemi to make something happen out of nothing. I don't think we score too many goals that are the result of the system working.
London Lisa on 19:55 - Mar 22 with 2113 viewsmajorraglan

Lisa is very knowledgable and quality poster.
London Lisa on 20:12 - Mar 22 with 2089 viewsbuilthjack

"Zero crowd noise and atmosphere" in the first sentence.
She certainly can't have been at the game if that was on Saturday.

I like Lisa though.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

London Lisa on 20:18 - Mar 22 with 2071 viewsvetchonian

London Lisa on 20:12 - Mar 22 by builthjack

I like Lisa though.

she forgot to mention the boos

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

London Lisa on 20:21 - Mar 22 with 2063 viewsonehunglow

God knows Liaa and I are hardly chums but that is as fine a resume of where we are a is possible.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

London Lisa on 20:40 - Mar 22 with 2030 viewsBillyChong

London Lisa on 20:12 - Mar 22 by builthjack

I like Lisa though.

Lisa is referring to how a large number of Cooper’s games were watched behind closed doors i.e. zero crowd noise and atmosphere, and is suggesting how painful it would be to watch Martin’s team under those circumstances.
London Lisa on 20:48 - Mar 22 with 2007 viewsonehunglow

London Lisa on 20:40 - Mar 22 by BillyChong

Lisa is referring to how a large number of Cooper’s games were watched behind closed doors i.e. zero crowd noise and atmosphere, and is suggesting how painful it would be to watch Martin’s team under those circumstances.

It's funny that the lockdown seems further away than it was.
Time ,being a magician ,plays tricks on us.

Watching us under Russy regime in a lockdown would be pretty appropriate really.

London Lisa on 20:54 - Mar 22 with 2002 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I don't get on with Lisa on many subjects, but her summary of MartinBall is spot on.
London Lisa on 21:00 - Mar 22 with 1987 viewsonehunglow

London Lisa on 20:54 - Mar 22 by A_Fans_Dad

I don't get on with Lisa on many subjects, but her summary of MartinBall is spot on.

It's what makes you a good poster.
You can detach the poster from the text.

Ive fallen out with that many though,Ive lost count on who loves me and who hates me.Being on the safe side ,Id say 90% fall into the latter catagory but Jesus loves me.

London Lisa on 21:13 - Mar 22 with 1969 viewsKeithHaynes

London Lisa on 21:00 - Mar 22 by onehunglow

It's what makes you a good poster.
You can detach the poster from the text.

Ive fallen out with that many though,Ive lost count on who loves me and who hates me.Being on the safe side ,Id say 90% fall into the latter catagory but Jesus loves me.

No love, no hate, just debate 😉

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

London Lisa on 21:22 - Mar 22 with 1942 viewsAndyCole

Not at all Doc.

That post is simply plagiarised from the stuff you, the forum's staff writers and other notables on this forum have been banging on ad infinitum for the best part of this season.

At least it shows that the penny is finally dropping amongst the poorer relations next door.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

London Lisa on 21:33 - Mar 22 with 1905 viewsonehunglow

London Lisa on 21:13 - Mar 22 by KeithHaynes

No love, no hate, just debate 😉

One Love then

London Lisa on 22:23 - Mar 22 with 1818 viewsReslovenSwan1

London Lisa on 21:33 - Mar 22 by onehunglow

One Love then

I look on the 7 years in the Premier league with great satisfaction and pride in my city and region. She appears to have the same negativity that afflicts many in the city despite her London moniker.

Wise sage since Toshack era

London Lisa on 22:38 - Mar 22 with 1802 viewslifelong

Why to posters say things like “Swansea’s second forum” and the “Poor relations next door” ?

Aren’t we all supposed to be Swans fans?
London Lisa on 22:47 - Mar 22 with 1793 viewsAjack_Kerouac

London Lisa on 19:55 - Mar 22 by majorraglan

Lisa is very knowledgable and quality poster.

I disagree with her on nearly every subject (except maybe on football) but she was always good value.
One of the people worth having an argument with.

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

London Lisa on 22:52 - Mar 22 with 1785 viewsbuilthjack

London Lisa on 22:38 - Mar 22 by lifelong

Why to posters say things like “Swansea’s second forum” and the “Poor relations next door” ?

He could be banned from Phils forum ?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

London Lisa on 22:54 - Mar 22 with 1781 viewsDr_Parnassus

London Lisa on 22:52 - Mar 22 by builthjack

He could be banned from Phils forum ?

Could be banned… if I signed up and misbehaved you mean?

Yes I suppose. Doesn’t sound like me though.

London Lisa on 22:55 - Mar 22 with 1778 viewsDr_Parnassus

Isn’t it Swansea’s second forum then?

Happy to amend that if it’s inaccurate. But I’m sure in terms of post count, membership and viewership it is behind this forum.

Let me know.

London Lisa on 23:07 - Mar 22 with 1762 viewsAndyCole

It's all relative, Lifey.

Poorer in terms of quantity, quality and moral standings.

Chalk 'n cheese in so many ways. Some vile posters next door, still allowed to post their bile, bile often directed at this site. And still not sanctioned. A poor relation, setting a poor example. Needs calling out, the Club needs to see.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

London Lisa on 23:11 - Mar 22 with 1754 viewslifelong

London Lisa on 22:55 - Mar 22 by Dr_Parnassus

Isn’t it Swansea’s second forum then?

Happy to amend that if it’s inaccurate. But I’m sure in terms of post count, membership and viewership it is behind this forum.

Let me know.

I’m fortunate enough to be able to use both sites, there are posters on there, and here, who I know very well.
You are the stats kid..find out for yourself.
London Lisa on 23:19 - Mar 22 with 1743 viewsDr_Parnassus

London Lisa on 23:11 - Mar 22 by lifelong

I’m fortunate enough to be able to use both sites, there are posters on there, and here, who I know very well.
You are the stats kid..find out for yourself.

I don’t understand your point.

You don’t want me to use the accurate term because you use both sides? What has that got to do with anything?

As I said, if you think it’s inaccurate then tell me. If not then don’t know what you are whining about.

London Lisa on 23:27 - Mar 22 with 1736 viewslifelong

London Lisa on 23:07 - Mar 22 by AndyCole

It's all relative, Lifey.

Poorer in terms of quantity, quality and moral standings.

Chalk 'n cheese in so many ways. Some vile posters next door, still allowed to post their bile, bile often directed at this site. And still not sanctioned. A poor relation, setting a poor example. Needs calling out, the Club needs to see.

Do you post on there?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024