Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 AFTERMATH 16:10 - Sep 26 with 21168 viewsNotLoyal

The reason this is a thing
Swansea City head to south London on Wednesday undefeated in the last four games with three draws and a win. Fulham are going through a slight blip bit are favourites to take all the points in this game. Manager Marco Silva isn’t under any pressure as yet but if the swans do pull off a result as Reading did earlier in the month, then he may well start to feel some pressure.

Fulham facts and stuff
Fulham used to be in Kent before it was moved to ‘Sarf Landan’ It’s a friendly place, full of people who want to run antique shops and deli’s that open for an hour on a Sunday morning. Bananarama live inside Craven Cottage and have done so since the cruel summer of 1983. An example of how posh the area is - The Hurlingham, which famous for polo, golf and croquet with its Georgian clubhouse nestled amongst stunning 42 acre grounds is in Fulham. It has a fifteen year waiting list. This of course is a long time to wait for anything. Especially for a snobby English game called croquet, by the time you get a game bats will have changed design dramatically. And probably be made out of cheese. Fulham is an area belonging to an Anglo-Saxon area called Fulla, but rather than the usual 'ham' meaning homestead, this one was originally 'hamm', signifying a bend in the river. Nothing like a bend in your river. Clearly this is wrong as it’s now historically accepted that Fulham changed its name in 1954 after the great riots of greatness. The riots were remembered as being so great they were copied in 1982 in Brixton which at the time was in Bedford.

Pruton’s pear shaped prediction
“Fulham have just slipped a little in recent games in terms of results, and have at times looked a little less than the sum of their parts. It just proves how tough this league is, considering there was early talk of how they may well have run away with it. “Swansea got back to winning ways on Saturday with a narrow victory over Huddersfield. It will have done Russell Martin the world of good in what is surely a season of consolidation for them, but I think Fulham will have too much at Craven Cottage.”

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/55887/fulham-v-swansea-c

Flynn gets down with the press

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/55903/swansea-city-fall-

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 23:25 - Sep 29 with 1422 viewsWalterBoyd

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:31 - Sep 29 by builthjack

As I said when Russ was appointed, it will take him 2 or 3 windows to get in the players that he needs. Rome wasnt built in a day.
Most with half a brain know that two thirds of our squad are not good enough.
Russ will have to go into the bargain bin to get these players mind.
Whereas Fulham shop in Harrods.
We have to be happy with mid table at best this season.

Builth, I support Russ and agree time is needed to work with the squad and get more of his own players in but tonight he got it wrong with team shape, / tactics,/ late substitutions- team changes.

Nothing to do with players available.

He does have to accept responsibility sometimes and to say we met them toe to toe is just crazy.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 23:31 - Sep 29 with 1402 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:31 - Sep 29 by builthjack

As I said when Russ was appointed, it will take him 2 or 3 windows to get in the players that he needs. Rome wasnt built in a day.

BUt playing what he has got in the right places would help a lot.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 23:31 - Sep 29 with 1390 viewsDr_Parnassus

Walter my friend.

Have you seen the light?

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 23:39 - Sep 29 with 1379 viewsWalterBoyd

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 23:23 - Sep 29 by Badlands

Martin needs to play players in their position
Cabango is a CB ?. Only played well when going forward in a more central area. Couldn't live with their pace but would have battled Mitrovicj.
Naughton is RB .. couldn't live with their physicality
Manning is a RB
Bidwell is not a winger
Laird is not a footballer … completely screwed Cabango in two games, calls for the pass then fails to respond or runs away letting players intercept, doesn’t support the defence (pointed out on Sky), with players screaming for the ball in the last few minutes under no pressure he passed the ball to the advertising hoarding behind the goal.
Bidwell and Laird's positioning dragged Downes out of position.
Grimes gone back to only going backwards.
I’m not too worried about the score but the way we conceded was shocking.
First goal was offside.
Other two down to leaving vast areas of space via poor poitioning.

If you genuinely think Laird is not a footballer then seriously you haven't a clue.

He was playing a role asked of him tonight. Wrongly.

Laird can play football.

This does show what a low base we have to work with with Badlands making such comments.

It's like teaching a mouse to eat and like cheese.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 00:07 - Sep 30 with 1336 viewsAndyCole

For a team that's achieved Play Off accolades in the past two seasons, this is all too poor. The Martin love-in simply has to stop. It's embarrassing.

Such a drastic slump in achievement and performance. We're in the bottom tranche, ffs. Unheard of.

The manager is without question to blame. Utterly egotistical. Utterly clueless in being pragmatic. A shockingly poor trait as manager.

The manager is deficient in knowing how to revert to a Winning Formula. He ain't no Pep where Plan A wins. He quickly needs to box clever and find a Winning Formula. The sheer arrogance of assuming his Plan A will always prevail, in this league. FFS, get a grip.

Martin ain't no Messiah, despite what some so blindly bleat.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 00:09 - Sep 30 with 1346 viewsTreforys_Jack

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 23:23 - Sep 29 by Badlands

Martin needs to play players in their position
Cabango is a CB ?. Only played well when going forward in a more central area. Couldn't live with their pace but would have battled Mitrovicj.
Naughton is RB .. couldn't live with their physicality
Manning is a RB
Bidwell is not a winger
Laird is not a footballer … completely screwed Cabango in two games, calls for the pass then fails to respond or runs away letting players intercept, doesn’t support the defence (pointed out on Sky), with players screaming for the ball in the last few minutes under no pressure he passed the ball to the advertising hoarding behind the goal.
Bidwell and Laird's positioning dragged Downes out of position.
Grimes gone back to only going backwards.
I’m not too worried about the score but the way we conceded was shocking.
First goal was offside.
Other two down to leaving vast areas of space via poor poitioning.

"Laird is not a footballer." You've just won top prize in the most ridiculous comment made on here in many a month. Opinions are fine, we all have them, but when you're coming from that starting point, there is no hope for you to be taken seriously.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 00:38 - Sep 30 with 1322 viewsWalterBoyd

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 00:09 - Sep 30 by Treforys_Jack

"Laird is not a footballer." You've just won top prize in the most ridiculous comment made on here in many a month. Opinions are fine, we all have them, but when you're coming from that starting point, there is no hope for you to be taken seriously.

Agreed.

It's gone quiet here tonight, it is past midnight.

Swans loss usually bring the usual suspects out but admittedly I have half of the WUM on ignore so who knows.

Not at our best tonight, but can hopefully put that right on Saturday, covid and injuries allowing.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 06:59 - Sep 30 with 1234 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:29 - Sep 29 by jasper_T

We were 3-1 down late on. Shoot even if you're not the best possible candidate on the pitch (like Downes did) because we weren't getting many chances. He was central, the ball went wide and the attack came to nothing.

Innit. At least he was brsve enough to do so. He’ll score a few goals for us this season even playing CDM.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 07:03 - Sep 30 with 1230 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 21:46 - Sep 29 by icecoldjack

Yes, if Martin is going to keep playing ozzy ardiles football then hevjust as well play grimes at the back at least then theres a Good chance the ball may go forward !

The subbing off of downes was a mad one . Our football is generally getting better, but overall it looks like the manager doesnt know his best team , formation or tactics.

Lucky dip selections and a hope that something works seems to be the formula.
Onto the next one. Fulham are a Good team we arnt.

At 3-1 down to be fair he probably thought to give him a break after his Covid battle. He’ll hit the straps again on Saturday and we’ll pick up the three points

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 07:13 - Sep 30 with 1220 viewsbuilthjack

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 07:03 - Sep 30 by Brynmill_Jack

At 3-1 down to be fair he probably thought to give him a break after his Covid battle. He’ll hit the straps again on Saturday and we’ll pick up the three points

Thats the spirit Brynnie

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 08:59 - Sep 30 with 1143 views34dfgdf54

Brilliant support by the travelling fans again. I’m in portugal but they were coming across loud and clear on the stream, didn’t stop getting behind the boys and the manager.

Well done to anyone who travelled.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 09:02 - Sep 30 with 1140 viewsCatullus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 22:09 - Sep 29 by Dr_Winston

It does. Sad cases.

Amusing that he's finally worked out how to put me on ignore. It's only taken him about ten years. That's if he actually has ignored me. Wouldn't be the first time he'd have claimed to have done so and then replied to the same person.

To be fair mind, I have several people ignore but I sometimes log off and I can see their posts and if you click on reply you can log back in and reply.

Life is just better not seeing al that stuff ALL the time!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 09:03 - Sep 30 with 1139 viewsKeithHaynes

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/55903/swansea-city-fall-

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 09:20 - Sep 30 with 1117 viewsThornburyswan

Thought we played ok generally just too naive for that match - akin to say Everton going to Man City & saying we will play better tiki-taka football than you so we’ll go toe to toe.

I’m broadly behind the RM philosophy but he needs to add a decent sprinkle of pragmatism on occasion, particularly whilst we are still learning & building with the squad and in away games at the top 6/7 sides.

Feels a little like the Keegan philosophy at Newcastle a few years back in the Prem.

He needs to see/understand that tactical pragmatism is not him changing his philosophy or overall strategy - if he doesn’t he risks being out-footballed vs the better sides & out-muscled vs the physical ones (Cardiff coming up to test that point) and in so doing getting dragged into a full relegation fight.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 09:37 - Sep 30 with 1098 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 09:20 - Sep 30 by Thornburyswan

Thought we played ok generally just too naive for that match - akin to say Everton going to Man City & saying we will play better tiki-taka football than you so we’ll go toe to toe.

I’m broadly behind the RM philosophy but he needs to add a decent sprinkle of pragmatism on occasion, particularly whilst we are still learning & building with the squad and in away games at the top 6/7 sides.

Feels a little like the Keegan philosophy at Newcastle a few years back in the Prem.

He needs to see/understand that tactical pragmatism is not him changing his philosophy or overall strategy - if he doesn’t he risks being out-footballed vs the better sides & out-muscled vs the physical ones (Cardiff coming up to test that point) and in so doing getting dragged into a full relegation fight.

That’s a really good post.

Our problem is we aren’t either thing, we aren’t attacking and our defence is exposed. We are caught in a middle area.

This is probably one of the least attacking Swansea sides I can remember, dressed up as one because we have a lot of the ball.

We have threatened the opposition keeper less times this season than any previously in the last 10 years I would say, maybe even akin to Sousa era. Anyone think of another? I’d be happy to check it out.

This Fulham game marked our 3rd game in 10 where we mustered 2 or less shots on target. 30% of our games the keeper has had to only make 2 saves or less in the entire 90 mins… despite us averaging 63.7% possession this season.

Our possession is tricking an awful lot of people. People who I thought knew the game a lot better than that.

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 09:39 - Sep 30 with 1095 viewsCatullus

That's my view too. I can see Martin making mistakes (well what I think are mistakes) but as you say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

We spent 1.2 million on Downes, Fulham spent 12 million on Wilson. We have to acknowledge the difference there and no think we can match up with these teams. As somebody has pointed out, our best chance of promotion was the year we came down, as the seasons passed and we sold players to cut our bills, that chance withered.
Now we are here, we have to trust Martin to build a team but we have to give him that time too. We won't be spending 10 million on a player again, not unless we get promotion or we are bought by a Shahid Khan or Sheikh Mahbouti. Still we spent more on Downes and Piroe than most clubs in this division spent in total because many of them are broke.

Now this defeat, put in perspective, does it really look that bad. We didn't play very well, I'd say there were selection, strategy and substitution mistakes but we all know that this division is dog et dog. On any given day one team can beat anybody or lose to anybody. I already pointed out the Blackburn, Cardiff, Huddersfield triangle. Fulham lost at home to Reading who, if the result were reversed would be down with us in the table. This division is like that.
Over the course of the season the teams we all expect to be in the top 2 are 2 of the relegated teams and we expect the other relegated team will be in the play offs. Then there's Bournemouth who have spent more since their relegation than us, and many others. Coventry were going very well until Luton gave them a pasting and Stoke are up there but they are sailing very close to the wind as regards FFP.

Has Martin made mistakes, YES and he'll continue to make them but he should be learning every time he does. Surely though, with cotext and perspective, why do people expect us to be playing like promotion candidates? Even the teams we all accept will be up there have bad weeks yet somehow this new manager with so many new players is a team that's not allowed the same consideration?
Be honest, how many of us expected anything from last nights game? Hoped for yes but expected? Best I hoped for was a draw in reality and espite our lacklustre performance we could have pinched a draw.

Martin needs to look at the back 3 and understand those 3 players cannot play together in those positions, Naughton and Cabango should have swapped at the very least. Then our wing backs, they are not WB's if they are not back deending when we need them. Grimes, techically good and very safe but we do not need very safe in his position, we need a player willing to try the risky pass and someone who will do it quickly, not dither.

Oh god how we need a Leon now, a player who would free up the other CM to look forward. Mind you we also need two decent wingers.

In my opinion, and I'll keep saying it, we need two up front as well and I'd be choosing Whittaker over Cullen based on Cullens performances. Surely Whittaker deserves a chance.

Lets assume OHL is right and Martin is all OHL says he is, either Martin adapts and learns or he'll soon find things get very hard, attitudes in the stands will change.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 09:47 - Sep 30 with 1068 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 09:39 - Sep 30 by Catullus

That's my view too. I can see Martin making mistakes (well what I think are mistakes) but as you say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

We spent 1.2 million on Downes, Fulham spent 12 million on Wilson. We have to acknowledge the difference there and no think we can match up with these teams. As somebody has pointed out, our best chance of promotion was the year we came down, as the seasons passed and we sold players to cut our bills, that chance withered.
Now we are here, we have to trust Martin to build a team but we have to give him that time too. We won't be spending 10 million on a player again, not unless we get promotion or we are bought by a Shahid Khan or Sheikh Mahbouti. Still we spent more on Downes and Piroe than most clubs in this division spent in total because many of them are broke.

Now this defeat, put in perspective, does it really look that bad. We didn't play very well, I'd say there were selection, strategy and substitution mistakes but we all know that this division is dog et dog. On any given day one team can beat anybody or lose to anybody. I already pointed out the Blackburn, Cardiff, Huddersfield triangle. Fulham lost at home to Reading who, if the result were reversed would be down with us in the table. This division is like that.
Over the course of the season the teams we all expect to be in the top 2 are 2 of the relegated teams and we expect the other relegated team will be in the play offs. Then there's Bournemouth who have spent more since their relegation than us, and many others. Coventry were going very well until Luton gave them a pasting and Stoke are up there but they are sailing very close to the wind as regards FFP.

Has Martin made mistakes, YES and he'll continue to make them but he should be learning every time he does. Surely though, with cotext and perspective, why do people expect us to be playing like promotion candidates? Even the teams we all accept will be up there have bad weeks yet somehow this new manager with so many new players is a team that's not allowed the same consideration?
Be honest, how many of us expected anything from last nights game? Hoped for yes but expected? Best I hoped for was a draw in reality and espite our lacklustre performance we could have pinched a draw.

Martin needs to look at the back 3 and understand those 3 players cannot play together in those positions, Naughton and Cabango should have swapped at the very least. Then our wing backs, they are not WB's if they are not back deending when we need them. Grimes, techically good and very safe but we do not need very safe in his position, we need a player willing to try the risky pass and someone who will do it quickly, not dither.

Oh god how we need a Leon now, a player who would free up the other CM to look forward. Mind you we also need two decent wingers.

In my opinion, and I'll keep saying it, we need two up front as well and I'd be choosing Whittaker over Cullen based on Cullens performances. Surely Whittaker deserves a chance.

Lets assume OHL is right and Martin is all OHL says he is, either Martin adapts and learns or he'll soon find things get very hard, attitudes in the stands will change.

To use that excuse though (money spent) you would have to use that for every game.

We have spent more in this window than Cooper did in 4 of them. What does he need more windows for?

Here is this seasons spending league:-

Fulham 19.8m
Middlesbrough 6.86m
…………………………………
Swansea 5.4m
Stoke 4.19m
Bournemouth 2.61m
QPR 1.67m
………………………………..
Bristol City 1.44m
Preston 1.26m
Coventry 1.08m
Blackpool 788k
Blackburn 520k
WBA zero
Sheff Utd zero
Reading zero
Peterborough zero
Millwall zero
Luton Town zero
Hull City zero
Derby County zero
Cardiff City zero
Huddersfield zero
……………………………….
Birmingham - zero
Barnsley - zero
Forest - zero

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 09:59 - Sep 30 with 1055 viewskrunchykarrot

Ok im writing this without reading thraed back.

To start with im a bit disapointed with the team selection or specifcally the defense, there is no way we were set up to handle Mitrovic and Cabango at effectively RB was handed his arse on a platter for most of the night. RM must learn from this (unless injuries hamstring him) as at this level you can get bullied or turned over very quickly.

We play and hold the ball well and look as if we are well drilled the issue i have is players are not good enough in certain positions mostly down the left and it slows down from a moderate pace not a slick or definately fast transition.

I will not comment on the defense as it was all over the shop. Downes and Grimes were ok. Laird needs to stop cutting in and take the man on the flanks. Ntcham was doing ok Smith is not a 10. Paterson im sure there is a good player in there but its 50-50 at the minute for me. Left flank innefective again.

Anyway rant over and one thing that remains is that we need pace down the left come Xmas.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 10:10 - Sep 30 with 1032 viewskrunchykarrot

Just read back and had to stop seriously? RM must have a fair crack before this level of critism, and some of the comments about players FFS.
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 10:45 - Sep 30 with 994 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 10:10 - Sep 30 by krunchykarrot

Just read back and had to stop seriously? RM must have a fair crack before this level of critism, and some of the comments about players FFS.

Which comments did you feel were uncalled for specifically?

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 12:13 - Sep 30 with 932 viewsJackDragon

Last night I thought we were ok and no more than that. Too many had a bad night at the office (RM included) but for perspective we have to remember that, that Fulham squad cost something in the region of 200M . It would have been tough to get a result had we played well. As under Cooper we have seen glimpses of what this squad is capable of, I just hope that unlike Cooper, RM can turn glimpses into more consistent performances. STID
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 12:28 - Sep 30 with 908 viewskrunchykarrot

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 10:45 - Sep 30 by Dr_Parnassus

Which comments did you feel were uncalled for specifically?

Laird?
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 12:30 - Sep 30 with 905 viewsDr_Parnassus

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 12:13 - Sep 30 by JackDragon

Last night I thought we were ok and no more than that. Too many had a bad night at the office (RM included) but for perspective we have to remember that, that Fulham squad cost something in the region of 200M . It would have been tough to get a result had we played well. As under Cooper we have seen glimpses of what this squad is capable of, I just hope that unlike Cooper, RM can turn glimpses into more consistent performances. STID

He would have to be more consistent than we have ever been in this league in order to beat Coopers record of consistency.

80 points.

People really need to stop using Cooper as a comparison if their intention is to talk Russell up. Cooper outperformed him for Swansea and is currently outperforming him at Forest.

Just praise Russ if you feel he deserves it, but comparing to Cooper is never going to bode well for him… unless he dramatically improves of course.

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 12:41 - Sep 30 with 892 viewsJackDragon

If Cooper had got that squad playing to their capabilities we wouldn't be having this discussion because we'd probably have gained automatic promotion instead of falling way before the last hurdle and to top it off, having been given a second chance in a playoff final actually set his team up to fail instead of making it a contest. STID
Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 12:47 - Sep 30 with 886 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Fulham v Swansea City : Matchday Thread 2021/22 TEAMS on 09:39 - Sep 30 by Catullus

What a great comment.
Outlining exactly what is wrong with Martin.
The part where you say "either Martin adapts and learns", he is a Manager, if just about every fan on here could look at that team and see that it wouldn't work with the players in the positions he put them why couldn't he?
How long do we wait to see when he will react to the game itself and give his players new instructions?
How long do we wait to see if he "learns" that playing players out of position not only affects the play on the field it also affects the confidence of the players as well?
How long before he learns that training and playing high intensity football with physically compromised players with histories of of being injury prone is going to lead to lot's of soft tissue injuries.?
In th mean time how low in the league to we drop and how big does the goal difference get?
If he suggests as a couple of previous managers have that "we just need to work harder" lookout.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024