Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. 00:35 - Sep 2 with 4936 viewsWalterBoyd

Who / What would you like to see there ?

Music / Comedians / other. 20 years ago could have fitted in the Swans crowd at some matches 🙄

Saves driving up to Cardiff- anything booked yet. I cant see what's lined up - opens 2022
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 17:24 - Sep 2 with 1810 viewsonehunglow

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 17:10 - Sep 2 by londonlisa2001

They’ll have big touring shows as well. Musicals, maybe some ballet or opera, some big name bands and singers.

Thank God the city is finally being given a makeover.

Being an old bustard I can vouch for the musicality of Swansea. The choral culture is pre eminence itself in the form of the Orpheus.
There were plenty of venues for music in old Swansea and there is and has been much talent there so it should have found an identity in being know as "The Music City".

This is a start and God knows it's needed.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 18:49 - Sep 3 with 1723 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 15:01 - Sep 2 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Let's hope it does well and does not quickly become another disastrous investment made by Swansea City Council.

I really can not understand when people knock the council when they do nothing and knock the council when they try to do something.
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 20:48 - Sep 3 with 1689 viewsWalterBoyd

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 18:49 - Sep 3 by Whiterockin

I really can not understand when people knock the council when they do nothing and knock the council when they try to do something.

I agree.

I think the arena will be a great success.

Large catchment area just around Swansea and many people living further West ( Carmarthen, Tenby etc, )would travel to Swansea without the need to stay over, whereas the trek to Cardiff involves much greater cost and hassle.

But undoubtedly, local hotels will benefit from some making a weekend of it , restaurants, bars will benefit a great deal from the extra trade ,/ visitors from outside Swansea.

Win win all around. Council are trying.
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 21:02 - Sep 3 with 1670 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 20:48 - Sep 3 by WalterBoyd

I agree.

I think the arena will be a great success.

Large catchment area just around Swansea and many people living further West ( Carmarthen, Tenby etc, )would travel to Swansea without the need to stay over, whereas the trek to Cardiff involves much greater cost and hassle.

But undoubtedly, local hotels will benefit from some making a weekend of it , restaurants, bars will benefit a great deal from the extra trade ,/ visitors from outside Swansea.

Win win all around. Council are trying.

👍

Beware of the Risen People

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 21:28 - Sep 3 with 1666 viewsBarrySwan

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 11:04 - Sep 2 by Whiterockin

I think you are looking for acts that play Cardiff Motorpoint 5,000 capacity, Millennium Centre 2,500 capacity and St Davids Hall capacity 2,000. Still a good choice and good standard.

https://motorpointarenacardiff.co.uk/whats-on

https://www.stdavidshallcardiff.co.uk/whats-on/?d=2019-12

https://www.wmc.org.uk/

Its been reported locally for some time that the Motor point arena in Cardiff is too small for many major acts and conventions which is why they are proposing to knock it down as well as the Red Dragon Centre and build a newer bigger indoor arena on the Red Dragon site down Cardiff Bay instead.

So a 3,500 indoor arena will obviously be quite tidy as opposed to not having a 3,500 arena but I wonder if it will lose out again and again to bigger draws which will choose a bigger arena in Cardiff.

Still a 3,500 seater should be able to attract some tidy entertainment and national personalities.

I only point out whats been said on a number of occasions about the motor point in Cardiff and don't claim to be an expert in these matters nor critical of what should be a handy addition to venues in Swansea.

As regards using such an arena for Ice Hockey as suggested above. During my ice hockey playing days I played on the rink in the Metro Centre (Utilita centre now) in Newcastle which has an 11,000 concert capacity cut down to 5500 for the ice hockey which would suggest that a 3,500 concert capacity arena would be too small to accommodate an ice pad plus a reasonable crowd capacity
[Post edited 3 Sep 2021 21:36]
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 22:42 - Sep 3 with 1634 viewsgadgetuk

https://www.list.co.uk/article/129311-o2-academy-edinburgh-launches-with-a-3000-

Similar size venue becoming an o2 academy venue, but they must also not know what they are doing because Dwight knows best
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 08:09 - Sep 4 with 1583 viewsangryjack

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 18:49 - Sep 3 by Whiterockin

People knock them because they always think small and never big.. no ambition...
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 09:57 - Sep 4 with 1564 viewsLohengrin

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 15:47 - Sep 2 by londonlisa2001

My favourite place to see a band other than possibly the Roundhouse.

Seen a few in there over the years as it’s a 10 minute walk from my house.

They’ve some great stuff coming up there. The Damned are doing a few shows quite soon. And Soft Cell.

The Damned and Soft Cell? They’re of an age to be playing on Saga Cruises, mun!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 10:14 - Sep 4 with 1553 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 09:57 - Sep 4 by Lohengrin

The Damned and Soft Cell? They’re of an age to be playing on Saga Cruises, mun!

I think that you have to accept for a venue to be successful they have to appeal to a broad spectrum of tastes. The Damned and Soft Cell would not appeal to me but venues with a capacity of around 3,000 are where they are booked on tour.
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 11:47 - Sep 4 with 1525 viewsLohengrin

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 10:14 - Sep 4 by Whiterockin

I think that you have to accept for a venue to be successful they have to appeal to a broad spectrum of tastes. The Damned and Soft Cell would not appeal to me but venues with a capacity of around 3,000 are where they are booked on tour.

Oh! certainly there will be all sorts booked to play there. I wouldn’t get too hung up on the capacity either, most of the events staged won’t be sold out.

Just a quick mention too for ‘The Great Hall’ on the new university campus: it was constructed for about £3.5m with quite a bit of media fanfare some years ago and, this may have just passed me by, but I don’t think it has been mentioned since?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 13:24 - Sep 4 with 1497 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 11:47 - Sep 4 by Lohengrin

Oh! certainly there will be all sorts booked to play there. I wouldn’t get too hung up on the capacity either, most of the events staged won’t be sold out.

Just a quick mention too for ‘The Great Hall’ on the new university campus: it was constructed for about £3.5m with quite a bit of media fanfare some years ago and, this may have just passed me by, but I don’t think it has been mentioned since?

I'm pretty sure the capacity of the Great Hall is less than the Brangwyn Hall so will have little impact as a venue apart from University functions.
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 16:15 - Sep 4 with 1450 viewsWalterBoyd

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 13:24 - Sep 4 by Whiterockin

I'm pretty sure the capacity of the Great Hall is less than the Brangwyn Hall so will have little impact as a venue apart from University functions.

In 1973 Queen and Mott The Hoople played the Brangwyn hall in Swansea, the same night. Entrance fee a £1.

Would be great to see both those type of bands and those prices again.
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 09:50 - Sep 5 with 1342 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 16:15 - Sep 4 by WalterBoyd

In 1973 Queen and Mott The Hoople played the Brangwyn hall in Swansea, the same night. Entrance fee a £1.

Would be great to see both those type of bands and those prices again.

And what an amazing night it was. Loved Mott the Hoople and had heard good things about Queen, but to say they stole the show was a massive understatement.

There were so many live music venues in those days. In no particular order. Brangwyn Hall, University, Top Rank, Glen Ballroom, Pandora's, Patti Pavilion, Neath Town Hall plus many I have probably not named. Then there was smaller venues like Skewen Rugby Club and numerous pubs. You could go to 3 or 4 live gigs a week and see quality acts without travelling.
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 13:32 - Sep 5 with 1286 viewspikeypaul

I see Sir Nigel Farage gig is already sold out.

The man who delivered democracy and gave the majority of the British people what they wanted will have a great reception.
He will go down as the greatest British polician of the 21st century,I just hope he arranges more sell out gigs.
🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

[Post edited 5 Sep 2021 14:02]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 14:17 - Sep 5 with 1267 viewsWalterBoyd

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 09:50 - Sep 5 by Whiterockin

And what an amazing night it was. Loved Mott the Hoople and had heard good things about Queen, but to say they stole the show was a massive understatement.

There were so many live music venues in those days. In no particular order. Brangwyn Hall, University, Top Rank, Glen Ballroom, Pandora's, Patti Pavilion, Neath Town Hall plus many I have probably not named. Then there was smaller venues like Skewen Rugby Club and numerous pubs. You could go to 3 or 4 live gigs a week and see quality acts without travelling.

Must have been an amazing night.

I was at Knebworth in 1986 to see Freddie's last Queen gig.

Who would have known at the time that was to be his last concert.

What a showman. The best ever imo.
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 16:03 - Sep 5 with 1243 viewsmax936

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 14:14 - Sep 2 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

There is a difference between who we would like to see, and who would be willing to perform the South Wales leg of their tour in Swansea instead of Cardiff.

I'd be interested to see the losses the arena makes each year before it is repurposed.

Are you ever positive about anything Swansea or Wales, ??

I bet you don't like Joes Ice Cream either
[Post edited 5 Sep 2021 16:04]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 09:12 - Sep 6 with 1156 viewsonehunglow

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 16:03 - Sep 5 by max936

Are you ever positive about anything Swansea or Wales, ??

I bet you don't like Joes Ice Cream either
[Post edited 5 Sep 2021 16:04]

It’s been said about me Steve.
Frankly,I’m not arsed really. Neither is Dwight .

Joe’s is good though but I’ve had even better in Desenzano .

I’ve just booked a mink holiday in Wales too.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 16:48 - Sep 14 with 967 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I see they have started to announce the acts appearing at the arena when it opens.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 18:48 - Sep 14 with 923 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 16:48 - Sep 14 by felixstowe_jack

I see they have started to announce the acts appearing at the arena when it opens.

https://www.swansea-arena.co.uk/
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 19:06 - Sep 14 with 905 viewsWalterBoyd

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 18:48 - Sep 14 by Whiterockin

https://www.swansea-arena.co.uk/

Thanks for posting the link up.

It looks tremendous, think it will be even better in real life.

Rob Brydon as opening show, assuming he will be the first act there, is a great shout.

Something there for everyone hopefully, given time.
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 20:24 - Sep 14 with 849 viewsDr_Winston

If Swansea Council was running the place themselves then yeah, there might be problems in getting decent acts there on a regular basis, but the Ambassador Theatre Group are a huge concern.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 21:52 - Sep 14 with 805 viewsKeithHaynes

Alice Cooper-and SD Cult ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 21:54 - Sep 14 with 802 viewsraynor94

Rob Brydon there next April, tickets on sale Friday

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 00:29 - Sep 15 with 757 viewsWalterBoyd

I really think the Arena will prove to be a great success.

Will put Swansea on the map for some who have never bothered to travel here.

Sounds crazy but many in West Wales totally bypass Swansea and go to Cardiff / Bristol or further afield. Because apart from having a great coastline, not many other reasons to come here ( Swans and possible Ospreys fans excepted), there is great coastline in West Wales, so they want shopping or shows.

At last Swansea have a true entertainment venue that can hold a decent sized audience.

It's a great addition to our city.
Swansea's new 3,500 arena. on 10:18 - Sep 15 with 704 viewsBatterseajack

Don't get too hung up on capacity. 3,500 is plenty big enough and a fairly typical size for entertainment venues around the country.

Its about striking the right balance, go bigger, and your limiting the use of the venue to a few times a month. Promoters also take on more risk with bigger venues, if they can't get a sell out, they're liable to bigger losses. This means less risky/diverse/niche acts and less performances over the course of the year. Swansea also doesn't really have the infrastructure for 20,000 people to descend onto the area all at once without causing disruption.

Finally, the LED lights on the façade will be decent.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024