Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lillis 15:25 - Aug 6 with 15645 viewsbazingadale

Why did we give him a new deal? Rip it up
Lillis on 23:24 - Aug 7 with 1814 viewsolympicdale

1st goal, mistake by McNulty, beaten too easily left Lillis exposed
2nd goal, good strike by the Posh player
3rd goal, costly mistake by Lillis, but the cross shouldn't have been allowed to come over

Life is a game of fate.

Lillis on 10:04 - Aug 8 with 1612 viewsfirgrovedale51

Lillis on 10:19 - Aug 7 by 1907

The fault for yesterday lies at Hill's door. With no midfielder directly in front of McNulty he was totally exposed. It was obvious throughout the first half and he made no substitution to sort the problem. A draw was a fair result yesterday but that absolute howler from Lillis cost us big time. My worry now is how much that will knock him. As others have said we're all aware he's a confidence player and we need him to be on his game more than anyone.

What was missing yesterday was Michael Rose he reads the game so well and covers for other players if they go forward or are caught out of position .
Lillis on 10:13 - Aug 8 with 1595 viewsJimmyRustler

Lillis on 10:04 - Aug 8 by firgrovedale51

What was missing yesterday was Michael Rose he reads the game so well and covers for other players if they go forward or are caught out of position .

Whilst I disagree about us missing Rose, we are definitely light of a destroyer in midfield. We were a much more balanced team when we had Dawson.

We don't actually have a goalscorer in the squad though and that's a real worry. Hendo had a good scoring season in 14/15 but he's still not that natural fox in the box type player that we need. Bunney isn't gonna contribute much in terms of goals. FWIW I honestly don't think Andrew is good enough either but he can admittedly do a half decent job up front. However, I've got a better goalscoring record than the lad. We are so light up front it's unbelievable. I really wish we'd have taken a punt on Daggers. I know he may well be past it now but he's gone to Crewe and they won't be paying him a wedge. Also, if we're bringing players back like Thompson purely on sentimental grounds then Daggers should be near the front of the queue.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 10:16]
Lillis on 11:36 - Aug 8 with 1517 viewsSIRKEITH

I heard he was at fault for first goal, but it was McNulty getting beat for pace and then a shot fizzed low across him into the FAR corner.

Some of those you get a boot on, some you don't, it was actually a good finish.

The second goal was a great strike

The last was obviously a bad mistake.

Its one game, we didn't play poorly and mistakes do happen.

Lillis was one of our best players last year and people saying get rid of him??

Goalkeepers will make mistakes, you only have to watch all the goals to see if happens every week.
Lillis on 15:07 - Aug 8 with 1384 viewsSaxonDale

Lillis on 21:21 - Aug 7 by AtThePeake

Yeap. And still there will be some who tell you that he's great cause he scored the most goals from open play in our squad last season, with a mind-blowing return of nine.

Any modern manager will tell you goals aren't enough for a forward player these days, they need to offer more. Yet some of our fans seem to think 9 goals in a season is enough for him to warrant a place in the team - those same fans very rarely offer any other reason as to why he's in the team.

Not getting into Bunney's qualities as I can see both sides of the argument, 7 goals in 11 towards the end of the last season is a good League 1 return in anyone's book and would suggest that as 442 says, if used correctly he could play a role. However, Bunney has been has been at the club for over 3 years now and it's fair to say in comparison to other young players who have been here that length of time (Camps, Allen, Cannon etc) he hasn't progressed as much as he should have.

However I would have to disagree with your line about goals not being enough for a forward these days, in the 8 games Bunney scored last season, we didn't lose any. Surely this which would suggest either Bunney was doing more than simply scoring in these games or that his goals were having a big impact on the game.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 15:10]
Lillis on 15:14 - Aug 8 with 1326 viewsAtThePeake

Lillis on 15:07 - Aug 8 by SaxonDale

Not getting into Bunney's qualities as I can see both sides of the argument, 7 goals in 11 towards the end of the last season is a good League 1 return in anyone's book and would suggest that as 442 says, if used correctly he could play a role. However, Bunney has been has been at the club for over 3 years now and it's fair to say in comparison to other young players who have been here that length of time (Camps, Allen, Cannon etc) he hasn't progressed as much as he should have.

However I would have to disagree with your line about goals not being enough for a forward these days, in the 8 games Bunney scored last season, we didn't lose any. Surely this which would suggest either Bunney was doing more than simply scoring in these games or that his goals were having a big impact on the game.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 15:10]

The goals were having a big impact on the game and that 7 in 11 return is impressive. I won't deny that he was great in that spell and those goals were important.

The only problem is that if he scored 7 in 11 last season, the record in the rest of his Dale career is a grand total of 8 in 65. Paltry.

And I'm still yet to hear what he brings other than goals? If he carried on that form of 7 in 11 through his career and smashed in 28 goals a season then yeah, that would probably be enough and I would go back on what I said about goals not being enough for a forward. But he won't score that many and when he isn't scoring he is a passenger. For me, nine goals a season isn't enough to warrant carrying someone.

Tangled up in blue.

Lillis on 15:24 - Aug 8 with 1301 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Lillis on 00:16 - Aug 7 by VivaDonaldo

A lot of over reaction here tonight. After watching the football show on 5 there were a lot worse goalkeeping performances (in particular Shrewsbury).

The trouble about playing there is your mistakes are magnified and game changing.

Onto the next one.

Kelly Cates replacement is proper sweet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024