Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do we assume... 07:03 - Jul 19 with 10767 viewsDrizzle

that we, as humans , are intelligent enough to understand the universe? Maybe our brains just aren't capable of processing the mechanics of it all.

http://www.fromquarkstoquasars.com/is-the-universe-unnatural/
Why do we assume... on 07:19 - Jul 19 with 6218 viewsCatullus

I once tried thinking about the magnititude of it. I got to a point where it just, for want of a better phrase "span me out" and it still does.

As Buzz Lightyear said "To infinity and beyond" which is an awesome and incredible thought. That even if you were immortal, you could keep going forever and never find the end!!
And that is just thinking about the distances involved, never mind the actual mechanics.

If mankind survives long enough, the moon will one day move far enough away to stop affecting the tides. Eventually it will spin off into space.
This is when life on this planet will start to die. No more tides, stagnation will set in, the sea will die.......and so will we.
Of course we may have wiped ourselves out by then. We don't know the long term effects of climate change, GM farming or over medicating ourselves.
Nor do we know if a global extinction event is near. All sorts of outcomes are possible, even if an NEO doesn't hit us, if it gets close enough it could cause chaos.
There is enough to worry about in our own little worlds. I'll leave outer space and it's mysteries to the experts. Although the wonders of the universe always captivate me when tv comes up with a good series.
But think about it too deeply and us mere mortals will only end up spaced out!!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Why do we assume... on 07:34 - Jul 19 with 6211 viewsQuakerJack

https://www.bible.com/en-GB

Read this. Pretty much sorts it all out.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Why do we assume... on 08:33 - Jul 19 with 6200 viewsepaul

Why do we assume... on 07:34 - Jul 19 by QuakerJack

Here we go........

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Why do we assume... on 08:33 - Jul 19 with 6199 viewsDrizzle

How does that answer the question I asked? If anything it just backs up my point that we think the answer would have to make sense to us. Yet more evidence of the rigid thinking of the average human being.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2014 8:36]
Why do we assume... on 08:35 - Jul 19 with 6196 viewsQuakerJack

Why do we assume... on 08:33 - Jul 19 by epaul

Here we go........

It's the word of the Lord, I don't know why people argue with it...

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Why do we assume... on 08:39 - Jul 19 with 6191 viewsepaul

Why do we assume... on 08:35 - Jul 19 by QuakerJack

It's the word of the Lord, I don't know why people argue with it...

or the word of a made up book telling you to follow some made up alien in the sky and do silly things, which unbelievably or should be believably some brainwashed fools follow

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Why do we assume... on 08:42 - Jul 19 with 6186 viewsDrizzle

Wow. Some people are so obsessed with god that even in a thread about human limitation they bang on about god again.
2+2=?
Why do we assume... on 08:45 - Jul 19 with 6179 viewsepaul

Why do we assume... on 08:42 - Jul 19 by Drizzle

Wow. Some people are so obsessed with god that even in a thread about human limitation they bang on about god again.
2+2=?

got to be fishing........

Login to get fewer ads

Why do we assume... on 08:48 - Jul 19 with 6172 viewsDrizzle

I guess all threads are fishing in way. It depends if we are fishing for a debate or fishing for an argument.
Why do we assume... on 09:10 - Jul 19 with 6146 viewsDDCH

Why not give this a crack too

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm?lang=eng

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

Why do we assume... on 09:39 - Jul 19 with 6119 viewsNatterjack

I haven't heard the 'moon spinning off into space' scenario before, only that the sun is going to expand and make every solar panel redundant.

Not much point in hoarding the sun cream just in case. Either way, we'll all be long gone so I don't give a shit.
Why do we assume... on 09:47 - Jul 19 with 6100 viewsHighjack

Define "understand the universe. ", id argue we have a pretty good understanding of it.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Why do we assume... on 09:53 - Jul 19 with 6086 viewsDr_Winston

Because in general humans combine two lovely attributes in arrogance and stupidity.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Why do we assume... on 10:10 - Jul 19 with 6067 viewsHighjack

Why do we assume... on 09:39 - Jul 19 by Natterjack

I haven't heard the 'moon spinning off into space' scenario before, only that the sun is going to expand and make every solar panel redundant.

Not much point in hoarding the sun cream just in case. Either way, we'll all be long gone so I don't give a shit.

The moon is moving away a matter of cm's a year. It wont go spinning away at all, unless it gets hit by something massive.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Why do we assume... on 10:27 - Jul 19 with 6047 viewsCottsy

Luckily we are an inquisitive species and have managed to discover huge amounts about the universe in a relatively short amount of time and what seems unnatural today may be explained quite simply in 100-200 years time.

If man evolved from monkeys why do we still have monkeys?

Why do we assume... on 10:29 - Jul 19 with 6047 viewsQuakerJack

Well humans on here didn't realise I was being sarcastic so what chance have we got with the universe.

Why do we assume... on 10:38 - Jul 19 with 5999 viewsJackoBoostardo

It's relatively easy to answer - it's known as progressive development and has occurred over hundreds of thousands of years.

From the very first time mankind discovered fire, we learned how to recreate this and harness it for our use. Similarly discovering that sharp objects are good for hunting, mankind has sought to further define knowledge, which in turn has allowed the development of progressively better hunting tools.

Humans evolved into the position where our brains and physiological development has allowed us to not only reach the position we are today, but allows us to further enhance our knowledge as we learn more.

It's a fact that early man had a fascination with space, and there is reasonable evidence to suggest ancient ancestors knew more about space than many may believe (the exact position of various stars have been logged and charted even!). So what may start of as a basic understanding develops into a theory, that then becomes a fact or something for further consideration the more we look and study it.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Why do we assume... on 12:07 - Jul 19 with 5991 viewsDrizzle

Why do we assume... on 09:53 - Jul 19 by Dr_Winston

Because in general humans combine two lovely attributes in arrogance and stupidity.

The only answer I managed to come up with is " because we have to".
Its pretty horrific to think we may never understand our 'world' and what lies beyond.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2014 12:09]
Why do we assume... on 12:20 - Jul 19 with 5977 viewsDrizzle

Why do we assume... on 09:47 - Jul 19 by Highjack

Define "understand the universe. ", id argue we have a pretty good understanding of it.

Ok. My definition is "understanding all the things in the universe we don't have pretty good understanding of"
[Post edited 19 Jul 2014 12:27]
Why do we assume... on 12:52 - Jul 19 with 5942 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

We can't be the only living beings in this infinity

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Why do we assume... on 12:59 - Jul 19 with 5936 viewsQuakerJack

Why do we assume... on 12:52 - Jul 19 by oh_tommy_tommy

We can't be the only living beings in this infinity

The odds of that being the case are extremely long.

Why do we assume... on 13:47 - Jul 19 with 5918 viewsHighjack

Id say we have a good understanding of the physics of the universe as in how things work, what things are made of etc. Einstein s theory of relativity is still perfectly relevant for every force in the universe bar gravity which is still largely not understood and dark matter/higgs boson etc is on the verge of a breakthrough, but nearly everything in the observable universe is easily explained by science these days.

Why do we assume... on 14:04 - Jul 19 with 5900 viewsDrizzle

Why do we assume... on 13:47 - Jul 19 by Highjack

Id say we have a good understanding of the physics of the universe as in how things work, what things are made of etc. Einstein s theory of relativity is still perfectly relevant for every force in the universe bar gravity which is still largely not understood and dark matter/higgs boson etc is on the verge of a breakthrough, but nearly everything in the observable universe is easily explained by science these days.

Maybe you should present your findings to the scientific world. They will be thrilled.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2014 14:07]
Why do we assume... on 14:09 - Jul 19 with 5887 viewsHighjack

They already know all of it I believe. Einstein is quite a well known bloke in their circles.

Why do we assume... on 14:10 - Jul 19 with 5885 viewsTheFranchise

Has anyone ever watched Ancient Aliens on the History channel?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024