Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! 19:45 - Nov 25 with 8541 viewsphilbozz

My son and I were sitting next to Michael Gove on Saturday afternoon.
Fair play to the guy, I'm sure he could have sat somewhere in the posh seats, but he was behind the goal with his son and a few of his sons friends.
So whether one likes his politics or not (and I definitely don't, especially as my wife is a teacher who works 60 hours a week +), he was just a normal bloke, who was enjoying watching the R's with his son, wearing an old dog eared QPR scarf!
He jumped up and went as mad as the rest of us when Charlie Austin scored, we had a great view - he obviously wasn't a newcomer to football, he was very in tune with the game, clapping great tackles (Richard Dunne) and joined in a bit with the tiny bit of occasional chanting and clapped AJ when he came out for a warm up.
He almost made me think he was a good guy, until I saw him on Sunday morning on the Andrew Marr show, changed out of his jeans and back into the politicians suit (on a Sunday morning - what's that all about!)
Still - fair enough, on a Saturday afternoon he was an R's supporter, just like the rest of us!!
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 16:06 - Nov 26 with 1590 viewsTHEBUSH

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 14:15 - Nov 26 by CanadaRanger

When it gets to 3 pm on a Saturday at LR, there are no Cabinet Ministers or MPs or Judges or Doctors or Lawyers... only supporters.

Everyone deserves their personal space to do things with their family.

Now if only the personal space at LR could include more leg room!

I agree with most of this, although personally I don't like Gove, but if his son supports our team, that's good enough for me !!
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 16:18 - Nov 26 with 1569 viewshoopdog

Gove takes his kid or kids to watch a championship team in shepherds bush rather than joining the Chamagne set at chelsea or Arsenal , and sit in the Loft this tells me he is far more in touch with the man on the street than call me dave or gidion osboune or the rest of the tory mob
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 16:44 - Nov 26 with 1555 viewsak68

Last year at Spurs I was in the lower tier and was surprised to see Michael Gove and his son sat the other side of the aisle where there was a bank of just two seats, very exposed, right next to the fence separating us from the Spurs fans. Firstly I was little surprised that he was slumming it with the rest of us but more surprised that he was sat right next to the home fans. Tory Education Minister sat almost on top of the spurs fans struck me as high risk. Anyway he and his son got a load of abuse to start with and there was some commotion with a steward getting involved. To be fair Gove and his son ignored it and joined in with our chants. Strangely that was as loud as the spuds got until they scored 60 minutes later.
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 18:11 - Nov 26 with 1512 viewsMrSheen

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 15:35 - Nov 26 by BlackCrowe

How's the Marin Mr Sheen?

So far so good, but to be honest I don't ride much in the dark, I'm waiting for the longer evenings before getting more use out of it. I took it out the first week in Richmond Park with a little front light and nearly rammed a gate that appeared from nowhere. Good swerving stability
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 19:11 - Nov 26 with 1483 viewsTacticalR

OK, after the next match all back to Gove's second home for a rousing chorus of 'My Old Man's a Dustman'.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2013 19:11]

Air hostess clique

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 19:15 - Nov 26 with 1476 viewsizlingtonhoop

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 15:35 - Nov 26 by BlackCrowe

How's the Marin Mr Sheen?

For a moment I thought that said 'How's Martin Mr Sheen?'

Nice of you to ask Charlie about his dad...

But it didn't...
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 19:24 - Nov 26 with 1458 viewsizlingtonhoop

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 18:11 - Nov 26 by MrSheen

So far so good, but to be honest I don't ride much in the dark, I'm waiting for the longer evenings before getting more use out of it. I took it out the first week in Richmond Park with a little front light and nearly rammed a gate that appeared from nowhere. Good swerving stability

It's loftboy and his family you need to watch out for.
We don't need another 15 pages of that can of worms!
[Post edited 26 Nov 2013 19:28]
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 20:11 - Nov 26 with 1419 viewsMrSheen

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 19:11 - Nov 26 by TacticalR

OK, after the next match all back to Gove's second home for a rousing chorus of 'My Old Man's a Dustman'.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2013 19:11]

He might be. Gove was adopted at 4 months.
Login to get fewer ads

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 21:58 - Nov 26 with 1359 viewsCiderwithRsie

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 14:15 - Nov 26 by CanadaRanger

When it gets to 3 pm on a Saturday at LR, there are no Cabinet Ministers or MPs or Judges or Doctors or Lawyers... only supporters.

Everyone deserves their personal space to do things with their family.

Now if only the personal space at LR could include more leg room!

Some good posts on this thread from both sides of the debate - maybe the education system isn't as f*cked as we think since most of us came through it - but this is the best.

FWIW I think Derbyhoop has it nailed on the education debate - Gove is well-intentioned but like most politicians in most departments he's focussed on changing the system, which isn't actually the key.
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 22:12 - Nov 26 with 1340 viewsDunstable_hoop

Appreciate the divided opinion on teaching as a profession, but one pertinent point...

... anybody else on here been in 1 hour before contracted start time to run a boys fitness club, taught 6 lessons of 30 kids each, which will involve some of the most complex and diverse needs ensuring you must teach differently to each one, had 15 minutes break to eat food as you have overseen table tennis training and then led a girls football fixture at a school 30 minutes away...

... then came home to analyse work and plan for the next day. All for no additional remuneration? Most of the time also being criticised and castigated by the very stakeholders they are making all of this extra effort for?

I personally believe that teaching is one of the most important professions in the world and good teachers only become so by going above and beyond what is a basic requirement, and I know there are those that do not share my view, but each person is only human and the demands of the profession are such now that I can't understand how the government are expecting to obtain and retain suitably stable teaching staff. Gove and his policies are just making the job even harder.
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 04:27 - Nov 27 with 1280 viewshoopdog

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 22:12 - Nov 26 by Dunstable_hoop

Appreciate the divided opinion on teaching as a profession, but one pertinent point...

... anybody else on here been in 1 hour before contracted start time to run a boys fitness club, taught 6 lessons of 30 kids each, which will involve some of the most complex and diverse needs ensuring you must teach differently to each one, had 15 minutes break to eat food as you have overseen table tennis training and then led a girls football fixture at a school 30 minutes away...

... then came home to analyse work and plan for the next day. All for no additional remuneration? Most of the time also being criticised and castigated by the very stakeholders they are making all of this extra effort for?

I personally believe that teaching is one of the most important professions in the world and good teachers only become so by going above and beyond what is a basic requirement, and I know there are those that do not share my view, but each person is only human and the demands of the profession are such now that I can't understand how the government are expecting to obtain and retain suitably stable teaching staff. Gove and his policies are just making the job even harder.

Yep they do all that and still find time to deny that there are useless incompetent lazy poor teachers becouse they seem to believe their profession is above critism
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 07:09 - Nov 27 with 1261 viewsElHoop

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 22:12 - Nov 26 by Dunstable_hoop

In how many proper professions do you get paid for taking work home and reading it on the train and preparing for the next day? You also get training days and longer holidays than most professionals but don't let a good whinge get in the way of the facts.

It is a fact that the educational system has done little or nothing to weed out bad teachers. A fact, end of story. It is also a fact that teachers in good schools are less likely to strike then teachers in struggling schools. Being a professional is about a bit more than terms and conditions - it's a general attitude which is absent from the minds of too many teachers at the moment.
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 09:29 - Nov 27 with 1222 viewsCiderwithRsie

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 07:09 - Nov 27 by ElHoop

In how many proper professions do you get paid for taking work home and reading it on the train and preparing for the next day? You also get training days and longer holidays than most professionals but don't let a good whinge get in the way of the facts.

It is a fact that the educational system has done little or nothing to weed out bad teachers. A fact, end of story. It is also a fact that teachers in good schools are less likely to strike then teachers in struggling schools. Being a professional is about a bit more than terms and conditions - it's a general attitude which is absent from the minds of too many teachers at the moment.

I agree about the resistance to weeding out bad teachers - which would be in their own interest, frankly.

But there's a cause and effect thing about strikes in good or struggling schools. You strike because you're pissed off. If you work in an institution which basically functions and you are able to make the best of your talents then you're not pissed off, at least not if you're fitted for the job. If you work in a place which is chaotic, under-resourced, dealing with insoluble problems [e.g. kids who arrive without basic social skills, from families who don't value learning yet expect teachers to defer to the parents on anything, who resent any attempt to discipline their kids] and you are going to get pissed off. Crap teachers and pissed off-teachers [and you're going to move from one category into the other pretty fast, whichever you start from] only make it worse and you have a vicious circle.

The teaching profession is very resistant to any sort of criticism and that's a problem. The system itself e.g. the exam structure may need fixing. But a big part of the problem is the culture of contempt for education in this country. Unfortunately part - not all - of that is decades of sneers about "trendy teachers" in the tabloids - which was going on when I was at school 35 years ago - which has only made the educational establishment more inward looking and defensive.

My problem with Gove is that while well-meaning he's identified himself with a bit of that sneery attitude and its not helping to break down barriers to change, its just reinforcing resistance.
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 09:33 - Nov 27 with 1218 viewsHAYESBOY

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 16:18 - Nov 26 by hoopdog

Gove takes his kid or kids to watch a championship team in shepherds bush rather than joining the Chamagne set at chelsea or Arsenal , and sit in the Loft this tells me he is far more in touch with the man on the street than call me dave or gidion osboune or the rest of the tory mob

Or he is a cheapscate?

Cant stand the bloke but would never have a go at him in front of his kids.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 09:38 - Nov 27 with 1215 viewsA40Bosh

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 09:29 - Nov 27 by CiderwithRsie

I agree about the resistance to weeding out bad teachers - which would be in their own interest, frankly.

But there's a cause and effect thing about strikes in good or struggling schools. You strike because you're pissed off. If you work in an institution which basically functions and you are able to make the best of your talents then you're not pissed off, at least not if you're fitted for the job. If you work in a place which is chaotic, under-resourced, dealing with insoluble problems [e.g. kids who arrive without basic social skills, from families who don't value learning yet expect teachers to defer to the parents on anything, who resent any attempt to discipline their kids] and you are going to get pissed off. Crap teachers and pissed off-teachers [and you're going to move from one category into the other pretty fast, whichever you start from] only make it worse and you have a vicious circle.

The teaching profession is very resistant to any sort of criticism and that's a problem. The system itself e.g. the exam structure may need fixing. But a big part of the problem is the culture of contempt for education in this country. Unfortunately part - not all - of that is decades of sneers about "trendy teachers" in the tabloids - which was going on when I was at school 35 years ago - which has only made the educational establishment more inward looking and defensive.

My problem with Gove is that while well-meaning he's identified himself with a bit of that sneery attitude and its not helping to break down barriers to change, its just reinforcing resistance.

Another well reasoned and insightful post, to counter some of the knee-jerk anti education, anti teacher rants. No, the system is not great, but that is the system at fault and often not those who work within the system. Whilst there are obviously bad teachers and passengers in the system, as in any industry, don't let the populist political agenda headlines blur the fact that a lot of education is effective and is working.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 09:45 - Nov 27 with 1209 viewsElHoop

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 09:29 - Nov 27 by CiderwithRsie

I can understand that and I'd be in favour of paying teachers more, but not all of the teachers in the same way that I'd pay MPs more but not all MPs. It's about how you pay more to attract better quality without encouraging the crap ones. In that respect I think that Gove is right to remove automatic increases. What the teaching profession needs to do is to accept that the system is basically shite and agree a way forward with the government.

In my profession, accountancy, it is pretty much agreed that tax evasion is wrong and needs to be eliminated. That is a recent development but it means that there's less confrontation over legislation and there's more communication over what is and isn't going to work. This should be the case in the education system, but it isn't. Maybe the academies will create more alternative thinking and things will eventually progress in a good direction. I agree that unhappy teachers aren't going to be able to do much about a lot of the root causes but we need more constructive dialogue or we'll never get anywhere.
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 10:46 - Nov 27 with 1195 viewsCiderwithRsie

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 09:45 - Nov 27 by ElHoop

I can understand that and I'd be in favour of paying teachers more, but not all of the teachers in the same way that I'd pay MPs more but not all MPs. It's about how you pay more to attract better quality without encouraging the crap ones. In that respect I think that Gove is right to remove automatic increases. What the teaching profession needs to do is to accept that the system is basically shite and agree a way forward with the government.

In my profession, accountancy, it is pretty much agreed that tax evasion is wrong and needs to be eliminated. That is a recent development but it means that there's less confrontation over legislation and there's more communication over what is and isn't going to work. This should be the case in the education system, but it isn't. Maybe the academies will create more alternative thinking and things will eventually progress in a good direction. I agree that unhappy teachers aren't going to be able to do much about a lot of the root causes but we need more constructive dialogue or we'll never get anywhere.

Not sure pay comes into it, they aren't dreadfully paid and you don't want to attract people whose primary motivation is money. In fact its harder to move on the unsuited because they can't afford to leave.

But I think saying "the system is basically shite" is much of the problem. For decades the right of centre press has said that state sector teachers are lefty under-achievers who are "failing our kids" [its never the kids who are failing btw], that very innovation since about 1950 is a load of toss, that the exam results have been fiddled by making them easier and that the profession is riddled with incompetents who should be sacked. Gove was a journo himself and hasn't distanced himself from that view. Its the equivalent of decades of press saying that all accountants are engaged in tax fraud. Surprise surprise, its gets up the noses of teachers.

I think some of the criticism is correct and teachers are overly defensive ad un-self-critical. But not all, and as you say, it needs a dialogue.

Plus the journalist obsession with turning education back to c 1950 misses the point that that system failed to get more than about 10% of pupils up to what the system itself declared was "ordinary" level. It utterly failed on its own terms and was designed for a world in which most people could get unskilled work where it didn't matter if you could neither read or count, and university was self-evidently only for an elite. Critics of the teaching profession lose all credibility with teachers if they fail to grasp that.
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 11:06 - Nov 27 with 1177 viewsElHoop

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 10:46 - Nov 27 by CiderwithRsie

Not sure pay comes into it, they aren't dreadfully paid and you don't want to attract people whose primary motivation is money. In fact its harder to move on the unsuited because they can't afford to leave.

But I think saying "the system is basically shite" is much of the problem. For decades the right of centre press has said that state sector teachers are lefty under-achievers who are "failing our kids" [its never the kids who are failing btw], that very innovation since about 1950 is a load of toss, that the exam results have been fiddled by making them easier and that the profession is riddled with incompetents who should be sacked. Gove was a journo himself and hasn't distanced himself from that view. Its the equivalent of decades of press saying that all accountants are engaged in tax fraud. Surprise surprise, its gets up the noses of teachers.

I think some of the criticism is correct and teachers are overly defensive ad un-self-critical. But not all, and as you say, it needs a dialogue.

Plus the journalist obsession with turning education back to c 1950 misses the point that that system failed to get more than about 10% of pupils up to what the system itself declared was "ordinary" level. It utterly failed on its own terms and was designed for a world in which most people could get unskilled work where it didn't matter if you could neither read or count, and university was self-evidently only for an elite. Critics of the teaching profession lose all credibility with teachers if they fail to grasp that.

I don't think that going back to the 50's is the answer either. But here has to be something better than this. I say that it is basically shite because I don't think that many kids fulfill their potential these days. I went to grammar school and all of my kids went/go to grammar school. I can't comment on what went on elsewhere or goes on elsewhere now, but I come across a lot of pissed off parents of all political persuasions. In so many cases the kids are underachieving compared to their parents. In few cases are they exceeding the achievements of their parents. This isn't good news. Kids just seem to lose interest in education at a certain age. I'm no blaming teachers in particular for this but they have to accept part of the responsibility. If a car plant is churning out cars with three wheels, no windscreen and one seat, then the workers would probably wonder who the feck was going to buy them. Who is going to buy some of these kids? Nobody. OK you can say that the materials going into the car plant were shite, but say that and try to get something done. I think that teachers have always had to add something to what parents contribute to upbringing. The state says that your kid is 5 and we'll take them now and educate them. There's not alot of choice in that. Why should parents be expected to put up with a bad process without questioning it?
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 11:40 - Nov 27 with 1161 viewsPhildo

I think all the main parties recognise that something is wrong. The UK has been slipping down the comparative league tables in the global race for some time. Labour tried to fix it through rebuilding schools (BSF) which cost a fortune and unfortunately the money was not that well spent. Blair and Andrew Adonis thought up academies. Why? They felt that failing comprehensives would never reform from within. Gove came in and there has been lots of talk about free schools but they are a tiny minority. That other celebrity Supporter Toby Young is big on that. The main thing Gove has done is push hard to accelerate the academies programme breaking the link with local authorities. If you make schools independent of local authority control you have to accept that some will succeed and some will fail. It will be in the long term success will be judged. A lot of academies employ young newly qualified teachers rather than experienced ones presumably because they are cheaper and they can get them to accept new work practices that older ones will not adapt to.

The teaching profession as a whole has given the impression that any change is bad and have resisted all changes- or at least that is the impression they have given. They should have been more self critical in the past and tried to lead and control the innovation themselves. Now (like a lot of professions actually) they have lost control of the process and i suspect that will not change even if the government changes.
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 12:07 - Nov 27 with 1148 viewsAunt_Nelly

Gove is a wrong'un.
Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 18:25 - Nov 27 with 1087 viewsFDC

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 12:07 - Nov 27 by Aunt_Nelly

Gove is a wrong'un.

Who this guy?

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 18:50 - Nov 27 with 1069 viewsted_hendrix

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 11:40 - Nov 27 by Phildo

I think all the main parties recognise that something is wrong. The UK has been slipping down the comparative league tables in the global race for some time. Labour tried to fix it through rebuilding schools (BSF) which cost a fortune and unfortunately the money was not that well spent. Blair and Andrew Adonis thought up academies. Why? They felt that failing comprehensives would never reform from within. Gove came in and there has been lots of talk about free schools but they are a tiny minority. That other celebrity Supporter Toby Young is big on that. The main thing Gove has done is push hard to accelerate the academies programme breaking the link with local authorities. If you make schools independent of local authority control you have to accept that some will succeed and some will fail. It will be in the long term success will be judged. A lot of academies employ young newly qualified teachers rather than experienced ones presumably because they are cheaper and they can get them to accept new work practices that older ones will not adapt to.

The teaching profession as a whole has given the impression that any change is bad and have resisted all changes- or at least that is the impression they have given. They should have been more self critical in the past and tried to lead and control the innovation themselves. Now (like a lot of professions actually) they have lost control of the process and i suspect that will not change even if the government changes.

My two pennies worth.
The Company I work for build and are currently still building new schools/academies/free schools, once they are completed I take the buildings over and manage the problems/issues that arise and I'm at the moment looking after six schools.
I know a whole host of teachers and governor's etc.
If you could see the buildings that are now built compared to the buildings that most on here had they're education in you'd be pretty surprised I'd say.
Under floor heating, radiant panel heating, the most up to date hot water systems for the showers, high tech and warm changing rooms, in some cases all weather games pitches with floodlights, spacious classrooms not over crowded, one particular academy has an outstanding library, another academy has an arts centre that is truly fantastic and the IT part of the academy has modern computers and back up that is an eye opener.
I went to school in the 50s and 60s and I know for a fact that I'd much rather would have preferred going to school now as opposed to going to school way back then.
The kids are the important ones here and as I see it first hand educational facilities nowadays have made a huge advancement and long may it continue.

I'm not quite sure where I stand on Gove, I've been a Socialist since day one and I still am, I cant take to the Tories never could but I cant deny the advancements in the schools building programme they are superb.

Not quite sure that's all down to Gove and the Tories though.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 19:06 - Nov 27 with 1058 viewshoopstilidie

Took my daughter out of mainstream education to home educate her from the age of 12.
Aged 15 she is A level standard in 6 subjects.
The education system in this country is dire.
Anybody making positive steps to fix something as fundamentally important as this gets my vote.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Cabinet Minister in the Lower Loft on Saturday !! on 19:09 - Nov 27 with 1055 viewsstansleftfoot

Its quite clear by any measure the UK Education system fails pupils, employers, society, commercial markets. Some 500K jobs remain unfilled because of skill shortages, 25% of people under 25 are unemployable in anything other than menial positions whilst 1 in 5 are unemployed or failing to take up further education. However by their figures everything is going swimmingly...something is badly wrong.
Fault, teachers, education system, investment, and all Governments....Gove is merely the current meddling incompetent who refuses to accept responsibility.
Some might say it's part of a conspiracy to drive down employment costs to drive up shareholder values and thus dividends, might be this but I suspect it's the general moral vacuum in which people like Gove, Cameron, Milliband, et al operate. The destruction of the Apprenticeship method of skill learning and the failure of business to invest in it's own future has killed off a point of reference with which the young can see aspiration as a worthwhile process in terms of career building.
" No hope and No point " Shameful waste of money, talent and the effort of good teachers. Quite clearly Teachers should be subject to the same forces of employability as any other employee but it's not all their fault.
Equally Government should organise the distribution of funding and leave education in the hands of professionals, most probably found in educational bodies and business sector agencies. Create a fast moving education sector that delivers students with qualifications that business and society needs.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024