Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to move back 11:38 - Sep 27 with 15476 viewsdubaistu

Whereabouts does everyone live? Where would you recommend with decent schools and nice pubs.
Time to move back on 14:10 - Sep 27 with 2635 viewstoboboly

Time to move back on 12:30 - Sep 27 by RblockPrior

im looking to move to croydon, would you recommend then?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Time to move back on 14:14 - Sep 27 with 2622 viewsHantsR

Many good shouts on this thread and I guess it all depends on what you want? I love this part of Hampshire (a few miles south of Winchester) and can get back home from LR by 1830.

Excellent schools and I'm in the catchment for top Hampshire comprehensive, which shapes up well in national comparisons. Housing good and very good value by London standards e.g. very nice detached houses in established leafy suburb for £500K-£600K

Comms good M3, Rail to Waterloo 70mins, Flights to everywhere and exotic cruises starting at Soton. New Forest and coast not far way. Some good rural pubs around but depends on taste.
Time to move back on 14:24 - Sep 27 with 2594 viewsdanehoop

Did this last year moving back from China after 8 years away. We both work in central London and wanted something within 1 hours commute, decent public transport, good schools and greenery. We also needed something where we could afford a decent size house for the family. Ended up wanting to live in Richmond or Wimbledon, but housing in areas we wanted to move was to expensive. Next best were Ruislip and Epsom, initially couldn't find housing in the former when we were looking and settled on Epsom. Very good primary schools in the area, 30-35 mins into Waterloo, 45 mins to Victoria. M25 is about 15 mins away.

Secondary schools basically split between one very good and one average - but we'll cross that bridge in a few years time. Nice town otherwise, a lot of good pubs and restaurants plus decent enough local shopping. Lots of green, Epsom Downs on the door step too. 45 minutes to Heathrow similar to Gatwick so works for me for travel too.

Only real downside is so many damn Chelscum fans.

Never knowingly understood

Time to move back on 14:30 - Sep 27 with 2586 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Time to move back on 14:24 - Sep 27 by danehoop

Did this last year moving back from China after 8 years away. We both work in central London and wanted something within 1 hours commute, decent public transport, good schools and greenery. We also needed something where we could afford a decent size house for the family. Ended up wanting to live in Richmond or Wimbledon, but housing in areas we wanted to move was to expensive. Next best were Ruislip and Epsom, initially couldn't find housing in the former when we were looking and settled on Epsom. Very good primary schools in the area, 30-35 mins into Waterloo, 45 mins to Victoria. M25 is about 15 mins away.

Secondary schools basically split between one very good and one average - but we'll cross that bridge in a few years time. Nice town otherwise, a lot of good pubs and restaurants plus decent enough local shopping. Lots of green, Epsom Downs on the door step too. 45 minutes to Heathrow similar to Gatwick so works for me for travel too.

Only real downside is so many damn Chelscum fans.

Epsom won a contest as the best place in the country to live a few years ago.

What was you up to in China mate?
[Post edited 27 Sep 2013 14:33]
Time to move back on 14:36 - Sep 27 with 2579 viewsheadhoops

Horsell in Surrey is nice and quiet - few decent pubs and you get McLaren as your next door neighbour.

If you are feeling really adventurous you can put on your riot gear and venture into Woking on a Saturday night ( apologies WokingR).

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Time to move back on 14:42 - Sep 27 with 2568 viewsTheBlob

Time to move back on 11:56 - Sep 27 by Charlie1

Depends on what you want to spend...And what you're looking for.

We just moved. Look at Sevenoaks. Then looked further afield given the prices of Sevenoaks! Ended up near Westerham between S'oaks and Oxted.

Blimey,you must have deep pockets.
My old stamping ground of Orpington nearby.
Eynsford/Shoreham/Otford is good,nice pubs everywhere....especially Ide Hill and Toy's Hill.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Time to move back on 14:50 - Sep 27 with 2563 viewsBklynRanger

When I move back, in about a year, the missus wants us to live in Pimlico.

I told her when I start shitting money she'll be the first to know.

So we'll be trying to figure out some kind of compromise. Still no idea though - a lot of the suburban places on here definitely have their charms but they're not for us.
Time to move back on 14:54 - Sep 27 with 2552 viewsdaveB

I'm out in Langley near Slough, Schools are ok, only 30 mins into London, 20 to Ealing Broadway on a match day
Login to get fewer ads

Time to move back on 15:04 - Sep 27 with 2535 viewsBlackCrowe

North Kingston/Ham area. Kingston 5 minutes, Richmond (and underground) 10 minutes, central london 30 mins, Loftus Road 25 mins, Heathrow 30 minutes, Gatwick 45 minutes. Richmond Park, river Thames, great secondary schools and even better primary schools.
Couple of good local boozers and restaurants, many excellent ones in Richmond but pretty disappointing in Kingston.

Pricey though.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Time to move back on 15:23 - Sep 27 with 2513 viewsHollowayRanger

Time to move back on 13:48 - Sep 27 by WokingR

Holloway Prison

see it from my bedroom window!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Time to move back on 15:28 - Sep 27 with 2503 viewsCharlie1

Time to move back on 14:42 - Sep 27 by TheBlob

Blimey,you must have deep pockets.
My old stamping ground of Orpington nearby.
Eynsford/Shoreham/Otford is good,nice pubs everywhere....especially Ide Hill and Toy's Hill.

Don't ask WestBerksR's.....

Capitalism does indeed rule!

Ide hill / toy's hill are really nice.

Westerham has some cracking pubs. Was in the Bull in Otford last weekend, which was ok. Don't know those other areas at all.

2:59 baby!

Time to move back on 15:38 - Sep 27 with 2488 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Time to move back on 15:28 - Sep 27 by Charlie1

Don't ask WestBerksR's.....

Capitalism does indeed rule!

Ide hill / toy's hill are really nice.

Westerham has some cracking pubs. Was in the Bull in Otford last weekend, which was ok. Don't know those other areas at all.

I have happy memories of Thursday nights at The Grasshopper in Westerham.

Aciiieeeed !!
Time to move back on 15:52 - Sep 27 with 2472 viewsLimehouseR

Grew up in Acton but moved to Limehouse a few years back, absolutely loved it round there. I actually now live in Ealing Common due to not being able to get a transfer at work and getting fed up with night buses every morning to travel across London. But I have a new job coming up round that way so I'm going to try and move back. Always surprised me the amount of R's fans that actually do live around there too!

Limehouse is great location wise. Canary Wharf is a 10 minute walk and getting in to central London is easy on the DLR. Some quality pubs by the river if you know where to look and wicked night life up the road in Shoreditch if you don't mind sharing the space with those trendy types. Some very very good curry houses too. Not sure about schools though.
Time to move back on 15:55 - Sep 27 with 2470 viewsBromleyHoop

Time to move back on 11:56 - Sep 27 by Charlie1

Depends on what you want to spend...And what you're looking for.

We just moved. Look at Sevenoaks. Then looked further afield given the prices of Sevenoaks! Ended up near Westerham between S'oaks and Oxted.

The Weald of Kent....God's own country.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Time to move back on 16:10 - Sep 27 with 2453 viewsqprdan

Time to move back on 12:01 - Sep 27 by RickyDicky

Mersham, nr Ashford Kent.

Close to the M20, Canterbury (20 Mins by car) and the Coast (15 mins by car), fast trains to St Pancras (35 Mins), plus 20 mins on the underground to HQ. Good schools (Primary, Grammar and Private) Great country pubs, good beer and cider and loads of totty.

(Guy just up the road from me just got back from Dubai)

your up the road from me, I'm in Ashford, just moved back from NZ
Time to move back on 16:12 - Sep 27 with 2300 viewsMatch82

Time to move back on 12:30 - Sep 27 by RblockPrior

im looking to move to croydon, would you recommend then?

Grew up there but got out as quickly as I could. But as another poster says, I've heard that they're making some progress with it.

Croydon as a borough is pretty big and area varies massively by part of Croydon you move to, so definitely look into the exact location. Some of the "greener" bits are actually pretty nice, but I've always thought that the centre itself is a bit of a hole.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2013 16:17]
Time to move back on 16:23 - Sep 27 with 2286 viewsdubaistu

Time to move back on 12:10 - Sep 27 by Alvarado

he won't mind anyway he'll have years of tax free earnings sitting in an offshore bank account. That's how it works when you're an ex-pat working in the Middle East.

Have you thought of Hampstead? Or perhaps Maida Vale? St John's Wood?

Haha I wish, you might not have income tax here but you're taxed in many other ways. Everything is imported so those items are always expensive, the other tax is on your health working with fu(king idiots every day of the week.

There's 4 of us and 2 dogs so need a house with a garden or quick access to a field. I'll be getting a job in Central London and not great at commuting so something within an hour.

The Doris is from Herts so St Albans is her first choice, but I like someone else do not $hit £50 notes.....
Time to move back on 16:26 - Sep 27 with 2282 viewsdubaistu

Time to move back on 13:03 - Sep 27 by Lambourn

i live in lambourn berkshire nothing here just racehorses and blooming expensive, but loved egham shepparton area. All working people no bums and good local pubs good schools and plenty of lonely minge.

Lonely minge - forgot that off my list!
Time to move back on 16:27 - Sep 27 with 2280 viewssheppetonrs

Shepperton has good schools and good pubs for the kids to go to when they leave school!! One of the few villages around London and only 25 mins to London from Walton. I grew up in Kingston and old shepperton can be clicky (everybody knows everydody so no good for having an affair!!) but does still have that community feel.
Time to move back on 16:29 - Sep 27 with 2280 viewsWokingR

Time to move back on 14:36 - Sep 27 by headhoops

Horsell in Surrey is nice and quiet - few decent pubs and you get McLaren as your next door neighbour.

If you are feeling really adventurous you can put on your riot gear and venture into Woking on a Saturday night ( apologies WokingR).

Couldn't agree with you more
It's ok, I am in St Johns
Time to move back on 16:38 - Sep 27 with 2260 viewsGloucs_R

Time to move back on 14:54 - Sep 27 by daveB

I'm out in Langley near Slough, Schools are ok, only 30 mins into London, 20 to Ealing Broadway on a match day

There used to be a few of us on here from Slough, Windsor and Bracknell.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Time to move back on 16:45 - Sep 27 with 2249 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Time to move back on 16:12 - Sep 27 by Match82

Grew up there but got out as quickly as I could. But as another poster says, I've heard that they're making some progress with it.

Croydon as a borough is pretty big and area varies massively by part of Croydon you move to, so definitely look into the exact location. Some of the "greener" bits are actually pretty nice, but I've always thought that the centre itself is a bit of a hole.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2013 16:17]

Yes, spot on with that Match. I am in Purley which is fine but Central and West Croydon are a bit ropey but on the change. Berkeley Homes have this being built at the moment in the centre and take a look at the prices!!

http://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/property-developers/berkeley/developments/saffron
Time to move back on 16:48 - Sep 27 with 2244 viewsdaveB

Time to move back on 16:38 - Sep 27 by Gloucs_R

There used to be a few of us on here from Slough, Windsor and Bracknell.

Still quite a few QPR around my way, train usually busy with QPR shirts on a Saturday
Time to move back on 17:17 - Sep 27 with 2217 viewsfLaMeBoY

I'm in Godalming, Surrey.
A wonderful place with first class school. We've 5/6 brilliant schools here. Yeah it's bloody expensive but a couple of miles either side like Farncombe or Milford (where Jamie Mackie live/is renovating a house) is more affordable.
Highly recommended.
Time to move back on 17:48 - Sep 27 with 2191 viewsBklynRanger

Time to move back on 15:52 - Sep 27 by LimehouseR

Grew up in Acton but moved to Limehouse a few years back, absolutely loved it round there. I actually now live in Ealing Common due to not being able to get a transfer at work and getting fed up with night buses every morning to travel across London. But I have a new job coming up round that way so I'm going to try and move back. Always surprised me the amount of R's fans that actually do live around there too!

Limehouse is great location wise. Canary Wharf is a 10 minute walk and getting in to central London is easy on the DLR. Some quality pubs by the river if you know where to look and wicked night life up the road in Shoreditch if you don't mind sharing the space with those trendy types. Some very very good curry houses too. Not sure about schools though.

Cheers, that sounds like more my kind of thing.

I've bookmarked it for future arguments :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024