Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ilias tonight 23:25 - Oct 22 with 3187 viewsnumptydumpty

Was looking forward to the return of Ilias and even though results not happened, was interested to see how Ilias linked up with guys such as Saito Dembel Varane and Smyth.

I was hoping he would not try to do everything himself as he does have others around him that just as likely to find the key to the lock

But he played like he was last season ie not trusting his fellow players and taking a lot of.potshots from outside the area.

Hopefully he can introduce an element of team play to his next few appearances
[Post edited 22 Oct 23:26]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Ilias tonight on 23:27 - Oct 22 with 3113 viewsstainrods_elbow

That's what I thought, too - back to his non-passing, free-shooting default. He needs to learn and want to play with Dembele and Saito (both of whom could be at least as influential as vintage Willock, I think, if they're coached and managed right).

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Ilias tonight on 00:04 - Oct 23 with 2952 viewsLazyFan

Being eased back in.
Another 60 mins so, lets see if he has 70 next time.

zzzzzzzzzz

Ilias tonight on 00:09 - Oct 23 with 2933 viewsNed_Kennedys

Ilias tonight on 00:04 - Oct 23 by LazyFan

Being eased back in.
Another 60 mins so, lets see if he has 70 next time.

Way off match fitness and it shows. We need noticed when he was taken off.
Needs to get back to his best and should be able to combine well with Saito and/or Dembele.
Ilias tonight on 00:51 - Oct 23 with 2862 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Ilias tonight on 23:27 - Oct 22 by stainrods_elbow

That's what I thought, too - back to his non-passing, free-shooting default. He needs to learn and want to play with Dembele and Saito (both of whom could be at least as influential as vintage Willock, I think, if they're coached and managed right).

His corners were horrible also IMO.If he is training with non contact why does he not spend time working on corners and free kicks at least .
Dembele was a breath of fresh air when he arrived first with corners etc but even he is way off the boil.
He needs to hit the gym he is getting bullied on every tackle and the refs dont care its up to him to get physically stronger
Ilias tonight on 04:41 - Oct 23 with 2679 viewsbongo_king

Ilias tonight on 00:51 - Oct 23 by CLAREMAN1995

His corners were horrible also IMO.If he is training with non contact why does he not spend time working on corners and free kicks at least .
Dembele was a breath of fresh air when he arrived first with corners etc but even he is way off the boil.
He needs to hit the gym he is getting bullied on every tackle and the refs dont care its up to him to get physically stronger

Was thinking same on the corners. I don't get why he's back on them. Our upturn last season in set piece prowess - which greatly impacted results -coincided with Chair largely coming off corner duty (Andersen doing them), and continued early this season with Dembele. It's bizarre that a half fit Chair comes back in the team and immediately takes over corner duty from both sides. It's just one of the various weird things happening this season when compared to last - e.g. as someone else said elsewhere, where has the 5 sec counterpress, which worked so well, gone?
Still largely much better last night and no coincidence that its when we have two passable DM performances.
Ilias tonight on 07:25 - Oct 23 with 2461 viewsPaddyhoops

Ilias tonight on 00:51 - Oct 23 by CLAREMAN1995

Corners have never been his forte . Very rarely clears the first man . It’s been a problem for years yet they still persist with him taking them . Baffling.
Ilias tonight on 07:38 - Oct 23 with 2413 viewsParkRoyalR

Ilias tonight on 07:25 - Oct 23 by Paddyhoops

Corners have never been his forte . Very rarely clears the first man . It’s been a problem for years yet they still persist with him taking them . Baffling.

In fairness neither has head up first time passing, compare him to young Morgan, head up, one touch to control the ball, second touch is a pass, all about levels I suppose.
Ilias tonight on 09:57 - Oct 23 with 2077 viewsnick_hammersmith

Someone please take him off corners! Dembele or Anderson can at least beat the first man, and Chair would be a better option on the edge of the box to take a shot if it bobbles back out than our CM's who were there last night
Login to get fewer ads

Ilias tonight on 10:58 - Oct 23 with 1949 viewsBoston

I thought his corners were 50/50 - which isn't good enough.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Ilias tonight on 11:13 - Oct 23 with 1893 viewsrobith

He looked leaden and selfish imo. So many times playing with his back to the defender, so no threat and way too many potshots
Ilias tonight on 11:24 - Oct 23 with 1831 viewsthehat

Like Dembele I was disappointed with him tonight - very little influence on the game, poor corners the first of which led to their goal, selfish in possession and trying silly shots from long distances which were pathetic.

I'm still fuming with him following his one on one with Portsmouth Saturday.

On the flip side Varane and Saito were very good and Nardi kept us in the game.
[Post edited 23 Oct 11:25]
Ilias tonight on 11:35 - Oct 23 with 1758 viewsParkRoyalR

Ilias tonight on 11:24 - Oct 23 by thehat

Like Dembele I was disappointed with him tonight - very little influence on the game, poor corners the first of which led to their goal, selfish in possession and trying silly shots from long distances which were pathetic.

I'm still fuming with him following his one on one with Portsmouth Saturday.

On the flip side Varane and Saito were very good and Nardi kept us in the game.
[Post edited 23 Oct 11:25]

Not piling on Chair as obviously not match fit but was the weak point and fault line in our pressing all night.
Ilias tonight on 11:57 - Oct 23 with 1719 viewsLblock

To combine well with Dembele he'd need Dembele to be moving and offering himself.
He's another that is finding hiding places now.

It's much derided on here but this team needs LEADAH'S!!!

Chair is one of those and we need him.
Desperately.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Ilias tonight on 12:03 - Oct 23 with 1702 viewslassel

He just shows everything down soooo much.

As said all summer, I’m convinced the club expected him to go and are now in a bit of a sticky situation because no offers came in. There is no other scenario in my mind whereby we go out and get Saito and Dembele who want to play quick give-and-go football and attack the fullback and have to leave one out for Chair who wants to play pretty much exclusively infront of the opposition.

To repeat myself as nauseum, the club really needs to work out what it wants to be and act accordingly. Right now we have a squad that is basically 50/50 split between a physical side looking to play backs to goal and fast, attacking minded players who want to play fluid transitional football.
Ilias tonight on 12:54 - Oct 23 with 1533 viewsTheChef

Well he's clearly not 100% match fit and unless he gets back into a proper groove in the next few weeks he's unlikely to get sold in January.

But for the Belgian court case I reckon he would have been sold over the summer.

And as time goes on his market value will diminish.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ilias tonight on 15:32 - Oct 23 with 1262 viewssdm1508

We have missed Chair and his creative spark but now when he plays like that. Saito overlapped a number of times but he refused the easy pass that would progress the play. Instead, cut inside, feint, go on the outside, cut back in. Over/under hit cross or shot. I just wish that Chair would realise that the ball can cover the ground much quicker than him so pass it more. What I liked about Saito is that be beats his man and then knows that he has now created space as the next player comes to engage him and that is the time to pass it to someone, because they will be free
Ilias tonight on 15:36 - Oct 23 with 1247 viewsRBlock

Really frustrating display last night. Clearly not fit, and trying to do far too much. As we've seen before, reluctant to play the early pass. Some of our best football in recent years has come down that left flank with Eze/Chair/Wallace & Willock/Chair/Paal combinations. With Saito, Chair, Paal, JCS we've got the players to replicate that again, but our passing was so slow and ponderous, taking too long on the ball before playing it. Painful at times.
Ilias tonight on 16:07 - Oct 23 with 1180 viewskensalriser

We digging out the only player in the squad who can actually retain possession of the ball?

Even not fully match fit he's the least of our problems.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Ilias tonight on 16:09 - Oct 23 with 1167 viewsTheChef

Ilias tonight on 16:07 - Oct 23 by kensalriser

We digging out the only player in the squad who can actually retain possession of the ball?

That's the problem he retains it for too long

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ilias tonight on 16:23 - Oct 23 with 1128 viewsDorse

I haven't been particularly impressed with Chair since his return. However, I honestly think he's still not fit. The kind of performance he was regularly putting in last season was completely different to what we saw over the last two matches.

When you factor in the pressure of returning to a losing team, and the expectation we all have of him, it's not really a surprise. He was never an 'if he plays we win' sort of player but we've turned him into one, simply by virtue of the fact that we've lost while he's out!

I'm critical of him at times but not at this point. It feels iffy to judge him in the round based on this small dataset. If he's match fit and still ineffective, then fair do's. A fit Ilias Chair has shown time and again that he's better than most.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Ilias tonight on 16:51 - Oct 23 with 1035 viewsNed_Kennedys

Ilias tonight on 16:23 - Oct 23 by Dorse

I haven't been particularly impressed with Chair since his return. However, I honestly think he's still not fit. The kind of performance he was regularly putting in last season was completely different to what we saw over the last two matches.

When you factor in the pressure of returning to a losing team, and the expectation we all have of him, it's not really a surprise. He was never an 'if he plays we win' sort of player but we've turned him into one, simply by virtue of the fact that we've lost while he's out!

I'm critical of him at times but not at this point. It feels iffy to judge him in the round based on this small dataset. If he's match fit and still ineffective, then fair do's. A fit Ilias Chair has shown time and again that he's better than most.

He’s clearly not match fit but that shouldn’t affect his passing.
One pass in the second period when he had loads of time on the ball in their half with Saito free and away in space on the left wing and he somehow passed it straight to their player was particularly frustrating.
We need to play him to get him fit and back to his best but at the moment on form and effectiveness you’d be picking Saito ahead of him every game.
Ilias tonight on 19:48 - Oct 23 with 780 viewsdavman

This.

F off the lot of you.

He's been out for three months and had two games coming back into a team in shocking form full of cowards. So, he's rusty. So he is trying too hard. So, yes, he made a couple of poor decisions yesterday. So he shot a couple of times when he could have passed.

BUT he is the only player who goes looking for the ball then faces forward 9 times out of 10. Yes, he'll pass the ball back occasionally, but his every being is to progress the team up the pitch. He'll even pop back into our half to get the ball and will then progress. No one else does that.

He is tenacious. He tracks back (when fit), he'll have more goal involvements that anyone else in this team and will top ALL of our attacking stats by the end of the season.

...and yet, 120 minutes in after 3 months out, its the same old crap from this Forum.

Sheesh, you really do not deserve the best player we have had since Eze, you really don't.

(A bit tongue in cheek, but only a little - how you can criticise him when Celar plays like he did. How you can praise Alfie Lloyd, who made Celar look brilliant or Morgan, who started fantastically brightly then faded into nothingness or KennyfckingPaal who has been shown up by a winger and an Aussie kid CM or Madsen who is the tallest wallflower ever seen?).

You will all miss him when he goes...
[Post edited 23 Oct 19:53]

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Ilias tonight on 21:56 - Oct 23 with 665 viewsnumptydumpty

Ilias tonight on 19:48 - Oct 23 by davman

This.

F off the lot of you.

He's been out for three months and had two games coming back into a team in shocking form full of cowards. So, he's rusty. So he is trying too hard. So, yes, he made a couple of poor decisions yesterday. So he shot a couple of times when he could have passed.

BUT he is the only player who goes looking for the ball then faces forward 9 times out of 10. Yes, he'll pass the ball back occasionally, but his every being is to progress the team up the pitch. He'll even pop back into our half to get the ball and will then progress. No one else does that.

He is tenacious. He tracks back (when fit), he'll have more goal involvements that anyone else in this team and will top ALL of our attacking stats by the end of the season.

...and yet, 120 minutes in after 3 months out, its the same old crap from this Forum.

Sheesh, you really do not deserve the best player we have had since Eze, you really don't.

(A bit tongue in cheek, but only a little - how you can criticise him when Celar plays like he did. How you can praise Alfie Lloyd, who made Celar look brilliant or Morgan, who started fantastically brightly then faded into nothingness or KennyfckingPaal who has been shown up by a winger and an Aussie kid CM or Madsen who is the tallest wallflower ever seen?).

You will all miss him when he goes...
[Post edited 23 Oct 19:53]

No one doubts he has been a fantastic player for our club over a long period of time.

And yes absolutely retains possession well and some of his long range shots fly in.

My point i had was we do have quite a few other decent creative players around him also and just was watching to see if he could adapt his game to involve them and trust others that could possibly do as well as himself.

Not saying he won't do this and hope it does become part of his game going forward because then he goes up from a special player for us to a brilliant performer.

And yes he has only just come back so some of his normal flaws are likely to be present but hope some of his decision making allows others to flourish also.

Can't swe that anyone is criticising him. We know what he can do - in the same way lot people see if Smyth can deliver better crosses which he did last night.

If though you getting upset about others opinions or what they want to talk about and think they shouldn't be posting crap. Well this is a football forum for fans and most of us know diddly squat about professional football but it passes the time of day to think we really know more than the pros !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Ilias tonight on 21:30 - Oct 24 with 229 viewsdavman

Ilias tonight on 21:56 - Oct 23 by numptydumpty

No one doubts he has been a fantastic player for our club over a long period of time.

And yes absolutely retains possession well and some of his long range shots fly in.

My point i had was we do have quite a few other decent creative players around him also and just was watching to see if he could adapt his game to involve them and trust others that could possibly do as well as himself.

Not saying he won't do this and hope it does become part of his game going forward because then he goes up from a special player for us to a brilliant performer.

And yes he has only just come back so some of his normal flaws are likely to be present but hope some of his decision making allows others to flourish also.

Can't swe that anyone is criticising him. We know what he can do - in the same way lot people see if Smyth can deliver better crosses which he did last night.

If though you getting upset about others opinions or what they want to talk about and think they shouldn't be posting crap. Well this is a football forum for fans and most of us know diddly squat about professional football but it passes the time of day to think we really know more than the pros !!!

Never said anyone posts crap. Everyone posts their opinion and opinions cannot be right or wrong; they are just individuals takes on things. I have no problem with others opinions whether I agree or not.

Always been this way with this board and that will never change.

If you didn't get it, it was all a bit tongue in cheek. He has utterly carried our clown club for the last three years on the pitch leading ALL the attacking stats and he will do again this season. He's not even played a full game this season and loads of people are already throwing criticism his way.

By his standards he had a poor 60 mins on Tuesday, but was still in the top half of performances in our team. Says everything to me.

As I say though, all about opinions...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024