Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 23:14 - Oct 22 with 2175 viewsEN_Ranger

Marginally better than recent games, the good performances came from Clarke-Salter, Saito (looks like a good left back!) Varane, Smyth, & Morgan. The rest were terrible.

What dembele was doing with that attempted clearance for their goal was criminal.
But the most worrying thing for me is the tactics - we were finally slightly more direct thank god, but what are we trying to do? There is no shape, movement or width, it’s so bad. The players are mostly trying hard, but you can see the lack of direction.

And Celar, yeah that’s not gonna work - was like playing with 10 men.
Just back on 23:20 - Oct 22 with 2100 viewsLogman

Sam Field good for me. Really strong when it counted in the second half.
Just back on 23:24 - Oct 22 with 2041 viewsEN_Ranger

Just back on 23:20 - Oct 22 by Logman

Yeah fair he was, forgot to mention him!
Just back on 23:48 - Oct 22 with 1945 viewsHunterhoop

Just back on 23:20 - Oct 22 by Logman

He had a good second half, certainly. Like most of the side, he was poor first half. He and Varane certainly looks better than him and Madsen. Varane grew into it too. There is something to work with there. He doesn’t like carrying it with his feet though.

Saito was my MoTM. He was the only one offering a threat in the first half, beating his man and setting up a couple of chances. He looked good. He also seems to have worked out how to compete physically as a tiny man now. He was filling in as a LWB too, and did his defensive job admirably.

Chair was poor and isn’t fit.

Dembele was poor and never got in the game although the ref gave him no protection.

Celar was awful. Bloke offered nothing at all. Any striker worth their salt gets on the end of that second ball across the face from Smyth. He was on his heels. His hold up game was non-existent, and was out muscled all night. The kindest thing I can say is “he cannot play as a lone striker, perhaps he can in a two”. Just a shame we don’t play with 2 forwards. Great scouting and signing, lads.

I thought Cook and JCS were okay, a bit shaky at times, both of them. Some moments of indecision from each, but better than Dunne there.

Smyth was actually okay. He is frustrating but I think we attack better when he plays because he does pin the oppo full back deep and creates a bit more space for others to play. It was his departure that brought our attacks to a halt, not Dembele or Chair. And he got the assist.

I like Morgan too, simply because the lad runs around a lot and has a little bit of bite.

Until Colback is fit, Field, Varane, and Morgan should start on central midfield. Get Frey back up top asap and pray he stays fit until Jan. We will need a reinforcement there come then.
Just back on 23:54 - Oct 22 with 1876 viewsJames_Paddocks

I thought we were pretty dreadful.

It just looks like a mess to me. Selections/subs vary wildy from game to game.

I'm extremely worried.
Just back on 23:55 - Oct 22 with 1868 viewsbaz_qpr

Tactics can't work if the 9 is giving you absolutely nothing, to the point they were actually trying to avoid giving him the ball or hitting him.

Thought Field was still well off the boil again. When Field is playing poorly he plays undercut passes behind the player which forces the whole team to go backwards as facing the wrong way. Varane did well. JCS just a different level at CB. Smyths best game for some time. Saito MOTM did fantastic at wing back
Just back on 23:56 - Oct 22 with 1852 viewsessextaxiboy

Some positives , Saito , JCS back , Morgan and Varane
Still no win but some green shoots
Just back on 23:58 - Oct 22 with 1842 viewsHunterhoop

Just back on 23:55 - Oct 22 by baz_qpr

Tactics can't work if the 9 is giving you absolutely nothing, to the point they were actually trying to avoid giving him the ball or hitting him.

Thought Field was still well off the boil again. When Field is playing poorly he plays undercut passes behind the player which forces the whole team to go backwards as facing the wrong way. Varane did well. JCS just a different level at CB. Smyths best game for some time. Saito MOTM did fantastic at wing back

That’s fair on Field’s passing. But you have to acknowledge the other side of the game. It was him, and pretty much him alone putting the boot in and making tackles and interceptions, winning loose balls in that second half. We need more of that. Less ballers, more boll*cks.

He also stood up to their 14 when they started mouthing off about us not kicking it out, and it was him who shouted at Nardi to sit down to stop the game and given the side a breather. This sort of stuff is important in a side so weak, soft, and naive.
Just back on 00:01 - Oct 23 with 1829 viewsbaz_qpr

Just back on 23:58 - Oct 22 by Hunterhoop

That’s fair on Field’s passing. But you have to acknowledge the other side of the game. It was him, and pretty much him alone putting the boot in and making tackles and interceptions, winning loose balls in that second half. We need more of that. Less ballers, more boll*cks.

He also stood up to their 14 when they started mouthing off about us not kicking it out, and it was him who shouted at Nardi to sit down to stop the game and given the side a breather. This sort of stuff is important in a side so weak, soft, and naive.

I agree, Field usually comes to fore when we are mired deep in the shit, and he's not had a good start this season IMHO
Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 00:28 - Oct 23 with 1754 viewsstevec

If there’s a plan out there I’m struggling to see it.

The difference tonight though, a number of players were much braver with their tackles than they’ve been all season. It did knock Coventry out of their stride enough to get us back into the game.

It’s a strange experience, wishing the time away after we’d somehow equalised. Got to the stage where a point at home feels like something to cling onto.

With Frey invariably struggling with injury and Celar as our only two forwards I fear we will be too far behind by the new year.
Just back on 00:28 - Oct 23 with 1756 viewsCateLeBonR

Just back on 23:54 - Oct 22 by James_Paddocks

I thought we were pretty dreadful.

It just looks like a mess to me. Selections/subs vary wildy from game to game.

I'm extremely worried.

Worst performance I’ve seen from Cov in a while against us.

Both teams happy with a point in the end.
Just back on 07:05 - Oct 23 with 1488 viewsdmm

If Frey is still out on Saturday, Lloyd should start instead of Celar. Lloyd is a striker by trade and will at least give us some effort and physicality up front if nothing else.
Just back on 19:51 - Oct 23 with 868 viewsdavman

Just back on 07:05 - Oct 23 by dmm

If Frey is still out on Saturday, Lloyd should start instead of Celar. Lloyd is a striker by trade and will at least give us some effort and physicality up front if nothing else.

Rather see Jimmy Dunne up there.

The kid has energy, but has no idea how to press and has no physical presence.. He cannot play a back to goal type game that being a lone striker demands.

We need to pray for Frey. He HAS to stay fit 'til January or we are well and truly fckd.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Just back on 20:27 - Oct 23 with 743 viewsHayesender

Just back on 07:05 - Oct 23 by dmm

If Frey is out Saturday, I honestly feel we'd be better off starting without a recognised striker. Pack the midfield and pray 🙏

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Just back on 20:40 - Oct 23 with 694 viewsLogman

Just back on 23:48 - Oct 22 by Hunterhoop

He had a good second half, certainly. Like most of the side, he was poor first half. He and Varane certainly looks better than him and Madsen. Varane grew into it too. There is something to work with there. He doesn’t like carrying it with his feet though.

Saito was my MoTM. He was the only one offering a threat in the first half, beating his man and setting up a couple of chances. He looked good. He also seems to have worked out how to compete physically as a tiny man now. He was filling in as a LWB too, and did his defensive job admirably.

Chair was poor and isn’t fit.

Dembele was poor and never got in the game although the ref gave him no protection.

Celar was awful. Bloke offered nothing at all. Any striker worth their salt gets on the end of that second ball across the face from Smyth. He was on his heels. His hold up game was non-existent, and was out muscled all night. The kindest thing I can say is “he cannot play as a lone striker, perhaps he can in a two”. Just a shame we don’t play with 2 forwards. Great scouting and signing, lads.

I thought Cook and JCS were okay, a bit shaky at times, both of them. Some moments of indecision from each, but better than Dunne there.

Smyth was actually okay. He is frustrating but I think we attack better when he plays because he does pin the oppo full back deep and creates a bit more space for others to play. It was his departure that brought our attacks to a halt, not Dembele or Chair. And he got the assist.

I like Morgan too, simply because the lad runs around a lot and has a little bit of bite.

Until Colback is fit, Field, Varane, and Morgan should start on central midfield. Get Frey back up top asap and pray he stays fit until Jan. We will need a reinforcement there come then.

I'm not sure Celar will be any good as part of a front two either. Hasn't got a turn of pace or seems unable to dart between players. If we were to go two up front Dembele or Chair would be better.
Just back on 21:00 - Oct 23 with 621 viewsstainrods_elbow

Just back on 19:51 - Oct 23 by davman

Rather see Jimmy Dunne up there.

The kid has energy, but has no idea how to press and has no physical presence.. He cannot play a back to goal type game that being a lone striker demands.

We need to pray for Frey. He HAS to stay fit 'til January or we are well and truly fckd.

Even if he does, our strike 'force' is embarrassing. Even with his, what, three goals so far, I think he might just hit double figures if we're lucky, especially given his injury issues. From what I've seen so far, neither he nor Celar are looking like the answer. Alfie might be raw, but at least he's energetic, one of ours, and looks like he could grow into the part, though it feels like straw-clutching. Frey is 30, slow, and unlikely to improve. He's no significant upgrade on Dykes as far as I can see.

Whichever way you cut the shitcake, we need two quality strikers, as we have for as long as I care to remember. Apparently, some law sent down by the footballing gods means we're incapable of sourcing and/or paying for them.
[Post edited 23 Oct 21:04]

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Just back on 21:51 - Oct 23 with 534 viewsHunterhoop

Just back on 21:00 - Oct 23 by stainrods_elbow

Even if he does, our strike 'force' is embarrassing. Even with his, what, three goals so far, I think he might just hit double figures if we're lucky, especially given his injury issues. From what I've seen so far, neither he nor Celar are looking like the answer. Alfie might be raw, but at least he's energetic, one of ours, and looks like he could grow into the part, though it feels like straw-clutching. Frey is 30, slow, and unlikely to improve. He's no significant upgrade on Dykes as far as I can see.

Whichever way you cut the shitcake, we need two quality strikers, as we have for as long as I care to remember. Apparently, some law sent down by the footballing gods means we're incapable of sourcing and/or paying for them.
[Post edited 23 Oct 21:04]

I personally think Frey is a significant upgrade on Dykes. His anticipation and finishing and composure is all streets ahead. His all round game is stronger, IMO. But you loved Dykes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024