Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Root 20:22 - Oct 9 with 2925 viewsEsox_Lucius

I know there are many cricket fans on here and I felt his achievement today was worthy of its own thread. I've been lucky enough to have seen all the top 20 batsmen and it is quite feasible that he could surpass Tendulkar.
It is also noteworthy that he has been on the pitch for all but 3 minutes of the 3 days so far in 35 degree heat.
Full respect for what you've done Joe.
[Post edited 10 Oct 9:44]

The grass is always greener.

Joe Root on 22:29 - Oct 9 with 2667 viewsted_hendrix

Yes he's something special and no mistake, and he hasn't finished yet, double century tomorrow.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Joe Root on 23:43 - Oct 9 with 2559 viewsnumptydumpty

Randomly also as well as getting his 35th Century and most test runs for an English man ever, his brother Billy - who plays for Somerset got married today.

So Joe missed his brothers big day !!!

Is breaking the English all time test batting record a reasonable excuse to miss little bro's wedding day !!!
[Post edited 9 Oct 23:44]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Joe Root on 01:05 - Oct 10 with 2508 viewsKiwi76

Not sure NZ has ever got him out - in tests anyway.
Generational talent for sure
Joe Root on 07:25 - Oct 10 with 2384 viewsThe_Beast1976

I was in Nagpur when he made his debut in 2012. I'm heading out to Pakistan for the 3rd Test and then New Zealand for all 3 Tests. Looking forward to seeing more Root runs

What a player 🐐
[Post edited 10 Oct 7:26]
Joe Root on 07:35 - Oct 10 with 2357 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Joe Root on 23:43 - Oct 9 by numptydumpty

Randomly also as well as getting his 35th Century and most test runs for an English man ever, his brother Billy - who plays for Somerset got married today.

Is breaking the English all time test batting record a reasonable excuse to miss little bro's wedding day !!!

So Joe Roots brother is called Willy Root?
Joe Root on 08:43 - Oct 10 with 2276 viewsstowmarketrange

Joe Root on 23:43 - Oct 9 by numptydumpty

My brother got married on the day we beat Burnley 7-0.Luckily I was able to see it on motd later,although through just the 1 eye.
Joe Root on 08:43 - Oct 10 with 2273 viewsTheChef

Just think how many more runs he'd have got had he not been made captain!

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Joe Root on 09:46 - Oct 10 with 2192 viewsEsox_Lucius

Joe Root on 08:43 - Oct 10 by TheChef

Just think how many more runs he'd have got had he not been made captain!

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT.

That would make an interesting comparison; percentage of runs scored as captain vs runs scores as non captain.

The grass is always greener.

Login to get fewer ads

Joe Root on 10:58 - Oct 10 with 2113 viewsDWQPR

Joe Root on 09:46 - Oct 10 by Esox_Lucius

That would make an interesting comparison; percentage of runs scored as captain vs runs scores as non captain.

Although not the greatest of England captains he was still prolific with the bat and carried the team on many occasions. Suspect he still has a few more years in him yet to beat Tendulkars record.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Joe Root on 12:11 - Oct 10 with 2001 viewsRangersw12

Best English batsman of all time

Really hope he beats the all time record as he deserves it playing in England against the dukes ball !
Joe Root on 12:19 - Oct 10 with 1989 viewsCamberleyR

He's the reverse Graham Gooch.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Joe Root on 13:09 - Oct 10 with 1905 viewsHoopstar

An absolute joy of a cricketer.

With Root at 4 and Brook at 5 it should be a good 2-3 years for us. Brook has had an absolutely unreal start and looks almost as natural a batter as Root has done for so many years.

One to treasure while he is still playing - and he looks fit as a fiddle still and full of hunger to score runs. Think I saw he is now older than Cook was when he retired.
Joe Root on 13:15 - Oct 10 with 1878 viewsjohann28

Joe Root on 12:11 - Oct 10 by Rangersw12

Really hope he beats the all time record as he deserves it playing in England against the dukes ball !

With respect, i think not, or at the very least too soon to say.

How many centuries has he made in Australia? That's a big fat 0. Let's hope this changes!
Joe Root on 15:03 - Oct 10 with 1706 viewsloftus77

Joe Root on 12:11 - Oct 10 by Rangersw12

Messrs Hobbs, Hammond and Hutton may have something to say about that, I would venture.......

Best since World War II, I grant you - probably alongside Boycott and Barrington.
Joe Root on 23:56 - Oct 10 with 1381 viewsShev

Not sure if this is up to date, but I found the following averages:

As captain: 46.45
Not captain: 55.83

Pretty incredible difference! Interestingly, Alastair Cook had a higher average as captain!
Joe Root on 00:48 - Oct 11 with 1330 viewsSydneyRs

By the time he's finished he will at least be second in the all time test run scorers and may even pass Tendulkar.

I know the pitch was flat but the rate at which England scored yesterday was ridiculous and Root especially had been out there in that heat for virtually the whole match. Astonishing. 4th highest test total of all time and scored at a much faster rate than any of the other innings on that list.
Joe Root on 07:05 - Oct 11 with 1237 viewsBlackCrowe

Joe Root on 00:48 - Oct 11 by SydneyRs

By the time he's finished he will at least be second in the all time test run scorers and may even pass Tendulkar.

I know the pitch was flat but the rate at which England scored yesterday was ridiculous and Root especially had been out there in that heat for virtually the whole match. Astonishing. 4th highest test total of all time and scored at a much faster rate than any of the other innings on that list.

He is the ultimate batsman - purest technique, stamina and fitness, character, humility and passion.

England's batting looks excitingly set for years to come with Brook and Smith emerging as serious talent and finally having got an excellent opening pair. Bowling's a concern though - Jimmy and Broad are tough acts to replace (Wood and Archer could be the answer if they stay fit) and we've never really replaced Swann.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Joe Root on 08:15 - Oct 11 with 1194 viewsstowmarketrange

Joe Root on 00:48 - Oct 11 by SydneyRs

The scoring rate was incredible yesterday.but I saw that Brook’s triple century was only the 2nd fastest in history.He scored at virtually a run a ball,so who did it quicker than that?Was it Lara?
Joe Root on 08:24 - Oct 11 with 1187 viewsHunterhoop

Joe Root on 08:15 - Oct 11 by stowmarketrange

The scoring rate was incredible yesterday.but I saw that Brook’s triple century was only the 2nd fastest in history.He scored at virtually a run a ball,so who did it quicker than that?Was it Lara?

Sehwag. Did his in something like 278 balls, I believe.
Joe Root on 08:47 - Oct 11 with 1162 viewsjohann28

Joe Root on 07:05 - Oct 11 by BlackCrowe

He is the ultimate batsman - purest technique, stamina and fitness, character, humility and passion.

England's batting looks excitingly set for years to come with Brook and Smith emerging as serious talent and finally having got an excellent opening pair. Bowling's a concern though - Jimmy and Broad are tough acts to replace (Wood and Archer could be the answer if they stay fit) and we've never really replaced Swann.

Agree. An Anderson/Broadless attack is of serious concern - whilst our bowling is adequate enough, it relies heavily on favourable conditions (ie late swing), without which pretty much any team, and particularly the Aussies, will fancy their chances. I don't get the thinking with Archer, who seems to have been inked in for the 50 Over format but not for tests. He's the only bowler I can think of that the opposition would genuinely fear.
Joe Root on 09:12 - Oct 11 with 1117 viewsLimehouseR

Joe Root on 08:47 - Oct 11 by johann28

Agree. An Anderson/Broadless attack is of serious concern - whilst our bowling is adequate enough, it relies heavily on favourable conditions (ie late swing), without which pretty much any team, and particularly the Aussies, will fancy their chances. I don't get the thinking with Archer, who seems to have been inked in for the 50 Over format but not for tests. He's the only bowler I can think of that the opposition would genuinely fear.

Mark Wood steams in just as fast but his injuries are a result of his maximum effort every match.

Carse can get up to 90mph so I think that's why England like him but he is still very raw and has a lot to learn.

I think our bowling attack will hopefully develop over the next few years, to be fair when we've had Jimmy and Stuart that was always at least one if not two spots taken every test match so others haven't had a prolonged stint in that position. Let's see how the likes of Carse and Potts fair after a year or two. Even Jimmy took a few matches to get into his stride before he became as good as he was.
Joe Root on 11:51 - Oct 11 with 1007 viewsSydneyRs

Joe Root on 08:47 - Oct 11 by johann28

Certainly the Aussies fear Archer. It's whether he can get through a 5 test series down here. Wood a similar situation, is respected by the Aussies but never seems to stay fit for very long.
Joe Root on 11:59 - Oct 11 with 990 viewsPaddyhoops

Heard him interviewed in test match special after the game . Down to earth doesn’t even sum him up . In vast contrast to a piece on 5 live breakfast earlier about a bloke who dresses premier league footballers for a living . WTF .
A genuine legend . Root, .. not the bloke who dresses footballers.
Joe Root on 12:11 - Oct 11 with 979 viewsflynnbo

Joe Root on 11:59 - Oct 11 by Paddyhoops

Heard him interviewed in test match special after the game . Down to earth doesn’t even sum him up . In vast contrast to a piece on 5 live breakfast earlier about a bloke who dresses premier league footballers for a living . WTF .
A genuine legend . Root, .. not the bloke who dresses footballers.

He’s a lovely guy as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024