Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report 00:07 - Sep 19 with 3213 viewsNorthernr

Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report 18th Sep 2024 22:47
Ebere Eze predictably scored the winner, and was the outstanding player on the pitch, as Crystal Palace squeaked through a League Cup third round tie at Loftus Road on Tuesday night which had some QPR fans asking whether we could have done a bit more. 5

Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 04:40 - Sep 19 with 2914 viewseastside_r

A brilliant summary of an evening full of contradictions.
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 07:52 - Sep 19 with 2597 viewsPhilothesuperhoop

I completely and utterly agree Clive. I was so pissed off at our team selection.
This was round three for Christs sake and a London derby…last 16 in sight. Ffs.

Palace were good, but as soon as we changed things around and played a bit we were right in this game. And a point to remember was their winner was actually against the run of play in that quarter of an hour.

What a waste. Marti said in a recent interview that he wanted to do well in cups…and then did this. If we had expected them to drop players then he clearly hadn’t seen what they did in the last round.

Also I refuse to be quick to judgement…but I am getting a little concerned about Celar now.
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 08:19 - Sep 19 with 2481 viewswestberksr

very well done Clive; expressing the frustration of the team selection brilliantly.

round 4, home tie, under flood lights, jumpers for goalposts......... maybe next year
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 08:36 - Sep 19 with 2441 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Covered every concievable angle, and in style too.

I don't know how you do it.

Thanks.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 08:43 - Sep 19 with 2405 viewsstevec

Enough about the League Cup, I need to know whether Eze’s signed shirt and picture frame made it onto the team bus and did it find its way onto his living room wall in one piece.
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 08:48 - Sep 19 with 2365 viewsthehat

Absolutely spot on Clive - I don't know how you do it but you have captured all the pros and cons of the evening perfectly.

Just about to read this again for the third time - Another mega match report!!
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 09:21 - Sep 19 with 2187 viewsNorthantsHoop

Quite correct Clive what is the point of being a top level football club if you don't really go for it whatever the competition. Thought we played well especially 2nd half, although you could tell Palace were playing in low gears. I really like Alfie Lloyd personally feel he may turn out to be a bigger prospect (watch this space) than Kolli.
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 09:39 - Sep 19 with 2094 viewsdaveB

I always think with these cup team selection debates what is the intention of the manager

Is he just throwing the game basically and wants out the cup like a McClaren, Warnock or Redknapp so picks complete B team and then blames the players saying well I gave you a chance and you were crap.

Or is he picking a mixed bag but with enough first team players on the pitch to have a chance of winning the game like Warbs did in the 21/22 season

When we beat Everton that year it was a similar 3 game week, our 3rd game was on the Friday thanks to Sky. Despite it being a beatable prem team he left out several regulars like Johansen, De Wijs, Dykes and Andre Gray to give likes of Dunne, Ball, Dozzell and Adomah a run out and we drew 2-2 so nothing was said

I don't see a huge difference between that kind of team selection and what Marti did the other night. Out of those left out I think only Dembele makes a difference from the start but not enough of one to warrant Marti being in the Warnock/Redknapp camp of throwing it so we can get back to the league (which was understandable from them both given the promotion pushes in those years)

It just didn't feel to me that the intention was to try and win but Saturday is more important, I firmly beleive he wanted to win both games. it was also pretty consistent with the teams he picked in the previous 2 rounds and in the FA Cup last season.
Login to get fewer ads

Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 10:00 - Sep 19 with 1993 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Totally respect the piece and everyone's opinion, but for me the league is more important.
We are not going to win the Cup, but the team sent out was still good enough to have won that game. It was fine margins as per the report. We just showed to much respect.

No injuries. Minutes in the legs. Debut for new right back. Make shift centre backs. And, unfortunately, EDB found wanting.
All done/learnt in a game for a competition we haven't a hope in hell of winning.

Christ, we better beat Wall now!
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 10:20 - Sep 19 with 1872 viewsloftus77

Yes, another great and heartfelt write-up. All angles covered – I did say before kick-off that I would rather we scape through 2-1 on pens after a grim 0-0 draw and then lose 0-5 to Millwall - as opposed to losing to Palace and then winning on Saturday. I genuinely think this scenario would be better for the club and fanbase short/medium and long-term as Clive and others have argued.

And the problem now is there is real self-inflicted pressure (imho) on the team to march out and win on Saturday which wasn’t the case before. We know what happens next.
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 10:24 - Sep 19 with 1849 viewsNorthernr

Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 10:20 - Sep 19 by loftus77

Yes, another great and heartfelt write-up. All angles covered – I did say before kick-off that I would rather we scape through 2-1 on pens after a grim 0-0 draw and then lose 0-5 to Millwall - as opposed to losing to Palace and then winning on Saturday. I genuinely think this scenario would be better for the club and fanbase short/medium and long-term as Clive and others have argued.

And the problem now is there is real self-inflicted pressure (imho) on the team to march out and win on Saturday which wasn’t the case before. We know what happens next.

I have mellowed on it a bit since Tuesday after reading all the POVs on here and I hope that came across in the report. As others have said, who says we'd have won anyway? It wasn't that much of a weakened team.

I think I'm more annoyed at how passive we were in the first half, but again as others have said these Prem players are difficult to get near, and we've had this problem in the league games with our strongest side out already this season.
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 11:16 - Sep 19 with 1639 viewsdaveB

Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 10:24 - Sep 19 by Northernr

I have mellowed on it a bit since Tuesday after reading all the POVs on here and I hope that came across in the report. As others have said, who says we'd have won anyway? It wasn't that much of a weakened team.

I think I'm more annoyed at how passive we were in the first half, but again as others have said these Prem players are difficult to get near, and we've had this problem in the league games with our strongest side out already this season.

How passive we were was the main reason we lost that game, we just stood off and let them play and when we did get it there was no movement or options to get out of our half so just gave it back to them again, was infuriating as for all the possession they had they were not really creating chances. Part of me things that was because of the fear of what they could do to us but we did the same at Sheffield Wednesday and United in the first halves this season and to a certain extent the Luton game as well so its something we really need to improve on
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 11:18 - Sep 19 with 1637 viewsNorthernr

Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 11:16 - Sep 19 by daveB

How passive we were was the main reason we lost that game, we just stood off and let them play and when we did get it there was no movement or options to get out of our half so just gave it back to them again, was infuriating as for all the possession they had they were not really creating chances. Part of me things that was because of the fear of what they could do to us but we did the same at Sheffield Wednesday and United in the first halves this season and to a certain extent the Luton game as well so its something we really need to improve on

Yup.
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 11:46 - Sep 19 with 1526 viewsjoe90

And let's not forget that the views expressed are set against VERY low standards that have been set by the club and players over the past few seasons.

So when people quote directly from LFW glossary - 'x player needs time' - when clearly x player is displaying the same issue as their predecessor, I think people can be forgiven for their criticism. If anything, it is the rational position to take. Maybe Celar is an upgrade on Dykes? Maybe Madsen is 'languid'? Maybe Marti picked the strongest 11 available to him? Maybe I should consider all the nuance even if the outcome is the same?
[Post edited 19 Sep 17:27]
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 11:48 - Sep 19 with 1524 viewslassel

Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 10:24 - Sep 19 by Northernr

I always think these ‘early’ round Carling Cup games against Prem opposition carry a profoundly weird atmosphere where neither side wants to actually win the game. No idea what the answer is either
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 12:16 - Sep 19 with 1392 viewsCLAREMAN1995

This is just the first cup competition of this season so what is going to change when the FA cup kicks off in January .Will it depend on our league position ,top 10 focus on trying for top 6. Bottom 6 focus on moving up as is the usual case trying to stay in the division .
The arguement that players could get injured is valid but they could also get injured on Saturday or Tuesday juring a league match.
"we are not going to win it anyway " is very popular but good teams knock each other out and weaker teams always squeese through to the quarter finals and beyond most years .
We put out a weak line up against Palace IMO.We started the game very poorly which is a very consistant and troubling trend this season .
We need to come out and start like that game against Leeds and get ahead then see if this team can push up the table like a lot of people on here think.
Oh and try to win the FA Cuo
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 14:15 - Sep 19 with 995 viewsNewYorkRanger

It's b*llocks. Pro footballers can't play 3 games in a week. They're tired. They might get injured.

We surely aren't making a concerted push for the prem this season so I really don't get the approach we take to games like this. And even if we were, success breeds success etc etc.

Wouldn't it be great if our club tried to win every game they played? That would be novel in this day and age.

I'm old, but modern football really is p*ss. It weren't like that in my day etc

Glory hunter, me

Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 15:31 - Sep 19 with 767 viewscaptainmycaptian

"God forbid a cup tie break out and tire the poor loves, but here it was in all its raw glory."
Almost verbatim on what I said when we scored and it almost did.... been a while
I like cup runs ....
I also hate short corners...
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 17:31 - Sep 19 with 508 viewsjohann28

"Fundamentally, I’d have gone all in on this game, and if that meant a scratchy team and a
defeat at the weekend in a league where everybody beats everybody anyway and we’ve
got 30+ games and eight months to go then so be it. I’m in a minority. The sport, as a
whole, now disagrees with me."

This.
[Post edited 19 Sep 17:31]
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 17:37 - Sep 19 with 479 viewsstainrods_elbow

Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 17:31 - Sep 19 by johann28

"Fundamentally, I’d have gone all in on this game, and if that meant a scratchy team and a
defeat at the weekend in a league where everybody beats everybody anyway and we’ve
got 30+ games and eight months to go then so be it. I’m in a minority. The sport, as a
whole, now disagrees with me."

This.
[Post edited 19 Sep 17:31]

For what little it's worth, I agree with you (both). T|oo manyt younger/modern fans have had their expectations downwardly managed by snowflakes, cynics and shysters in the current game.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 18:32 - Sep 19 with 305 viewsManinBlack

Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 11:48 - Sep 19 by lassel

I always think these ‘early’ round Carling Cup games against Prem opposition carry a profoundly weird atmosphere where neither side wants to actually win the game. No idea what the answer is either

I always get the impression in these cup games that many of the Premiership teams, and those who expect to be vying for promotion in the Championship, just go through the motions and are not too fussed whether they win or not. It was clear Palace and Spurs were not giving their all like they would in the league. It was only in the last few minutes Spurs did anything at Coventry.

Of course we can say we won't win the cup but in recent times Birmingham and Wigan won the League Cup and FA Cup respectively and even Millwall reached a final. Coventry came very close to reaching the FA Cup final last season. It has been known for less fancied teams to avoid top sides right up to the semi final with the luck of the draw.

I always remember the start of the Wimbledon/Liverpool cup final when Vinnie Jones crunched the Liverpool player. The message was you may be better than us but you won't get to play your fancy Dan football against us and sure enough the Don's won.

Then I look at us and watch a supposed London derby and we stand off them and let them play. Where are the full blooded challenges that used to get the crowd going? Did we ring Palace up after the draw was made and tell them we won't lay a glove on them so they can field their strongest team? If we don't tackle their expensive players then they won't get injured.
Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 18:45 - Sep 19 with 242 viewssimmo

Great write up and good to thoroughly acknowledge both sides. Like most of us I can see the value in each, but would prefer a cup run over pretty much anything else.... We also showed that with a bit more effort and application, we might have won anyway.

I'm also finding this game as a stick to beat Celar with quite hilarious. Is this his first ever 90mins? He's on single figures for appearances in a new league/country, and we're using this as evidence because he didn't get much change out of - checks notes - Marc fcking Guehi... Ok cool.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Genius Eze inevitably wraps return narrative – Report on 19:17 - Sep 19 with 166 viewsgazza1

Very difficult for the Manager whom to select.....he needs to ready fringe players and see if they are good enough. The League Cup is where we tend to do it. Also, he needs to keep players fit and ready for the next game which is far more important that the Cup.

The issue for me is how we played in the first half, we gave them too much time and space, we did not get tackles on their players and let them know what we are about. Play like we did in the second half and we would not be complaining. Saying that, Palace were streets ahead of us and in second gear for most of the game......but FFS let them Teams know they have been in a game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024