Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Utterly Sick of It 21:55 - Sep 17 with 20626 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Our club competes for three competitions every year.
We toss off two of them.

In doing so, we disrespect those two competitions, our opponents, and ourselves.

I will never, never understand it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Utterly Sick of It on 21:58 - Sep 17 with 9512 viewsted_hendrix

Think yourself lucky your not an Everton fan.

Jesus wept they are in free fall.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Utterly Sick of It on 22:00 - Sep 17 with 9415 viewsHooping_Mad

I thought we did well with 10 men.

I think modern managers don't get to choose cup games line up like they used to. Had we had a half decent CF or Striker we could have done something there.

Shame our options are limited. As always.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Utterly Sick of It on 22:02 - Sep 17 with 9432 viewsbosh67

I thought, considering the line up, that we actually played pretty well tonight. A lot better than I expected against a pretty much full strength Palace who, despite being away, were favourites as an established Prem club. No disgrace tonight and some of the player we are waiting to see improve, actually improved. Varane being one.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Utterly Sick of It on 22:03 - Sep 17 with 9427 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Utterly Sick of It on 21:58 - Sep 17 by ted_hendrix

Think yourself lucky your not an Everton fan.

Jesus wept they are in free fall.

I don't get it Ted.

Our next game is against Millwall.
A league game, one of 46 league games.

With a good resting programme, we could have gone for the cup game tonight, and still gone for Millwall.

Utterly Sick of It on 22:07 - Sep 17 with 9307 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Utterly Sick of It on 22:02 - Sep 17 by bosh67

I thought, considering the line up, that we actually played pretty well tonight. A lot better than I expected against a pretty much full strength Palace who, despite being away, were favourites as an established Prem club. No disgrace tonight and some of the player we are waiting to see improve, actually improved. Varane being one.

"Cinsidering the line up"

I agree, Bosh.

But that line up showed that, yet again, the cups mean very little to us.

Utterly Sick of It on 22:09 - Sep 17 with 9259 viewsLogman

Utterly Sick of It on 22:03 - Sep 17 by BrianMcCarthy

I don't get it Ted.

With a good resting programme, we could have gone for the cup game tonight, and still gone for Millwall.

I can understand the line-up and the idea. Its not that we have 22 quality players that we can switch in and out. We currently have a decent, fit-for-purpose 14 or 15 and it is important that we put our best 11 out in the League. If I was Marti I would have done pretty much the same.
Utterly Sick of It on 22:09 - Sep 17 with 9254 viewsBoston

I don't get it Ted.

You'll feel much better when we beat 'wall.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Utterly Sick of It on 22:19 - Sep 17 with 9134 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Utterly Sick of It on 22:09 - Sep 17 by Boston

You'll feel much better when we beat 'wall.

I won't, to be honest.

Another league win? Christ, boys and girls, who's got the candles? The fireworks? The shots?

Login to get fewer ads

Utterly Sick of It on 22:25 - Sep 17 with 8971 viewsbosh67

Utterly Sick of It on 22:07 - Sep 17 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree, Bosh.

I think we have to remember that we were without JCS, Colback, Fox, obviously Chair (all injured) and apparently Frey wasn't 100% so it also shows that although we have a number of options that when we are lacking some of the better players that the squad is what it is. It kind of reduces you to having to play various regulars as impact players because of the 3 games in a week thing. The remarkable thing is how much loading both Cook and Paal seem to be able to take, especially Cook.
[Post edited 17 Sep 22:26]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Utterly Sick of It on 22:26 - Sep 17 with 8967 viewsBurnleyhoop

Utterly Sick of It on 22:07 - Sep 17 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree, Bosh.

Well that “line up” put up a far better showing than our supposed full strength side managed on Saturday Brian.

The only caveat I would include is that SW were far more physical and pressed us much harder than Palace did. We are in a transition stage and have 3 significant injuries, two of which are our best players.

Good effort tonight, and more important minutes for the likes of Saito, Varane and Madsen, who all showed promise with hopefully more to come. Celar is the worry. Looked a bit of a donkey tonight if I’m honest.
Utterly Sick of It on 22:26 - Sep 17 with 8946 viewsqpr_1968

Utterly Sick of It on 22:19 - Sep 17 by BrianMcCarthy

I won't, to be honest.

Another league win? Christ, boys and girls, who's got the candles? The fireworks? The shots?

i am 100% with you on this.

we get this far.....go on ffs....get to the the next round, they are beatable.
i havent seen the replay of their 2nd goal, but to me it looked as if they nicked it easy.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Utterly Sick of It on 22:32 - Sep 17 with 8834 viewsozexile

Well said mate. We're a professional football team that doesn't want to compete in football competitions. Wrecks my brain.
Utterly Sick of It on 22:32 - Sep 17 with 8832 viewsWatford_Ranger

Yeah very passive first half when our best chance was probably to get into them early and make a fight of it (though the referee seemed intent on making it a non-contact match). Had a bit of a go and suddenly you realise they’ve got players like Henderson and Richards you can get at and one or two (Mateta) who didn’t fancy it.

Bit annoyed. Probably not as annoyed as I once would have been which is sad in itself. If we go out and smash Millwall then fair enough but yeah I’d like to see a quarter-final some day and I’m almost halfway to 70.
Utterly Sick of It on 22:36 - Sep 17 with 8705 viewsted_hendrix

I don't get it Ted.

I would kill for a cup run, I would kill for a mid table finish this season.

You gotta leave It to the Manager Brian.

We're all fans

**We're all just pissin' in the wind

We don't know it but we are**

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Utterly Sick of It on 22:40 - Sep 17 with 8637 viewsbosh67

Meanwhile, Harry Kane has scored nine goals in five games this season and fifty three in fifty games for BM. If you want to be utterly sick (as an England fan) in the last game of last season he injured his back and as a result was cack for England and then has made a complete recovery, and can't stop scoring.

Never knowingly right.

Utterly Sick of It on 22:48 - Sep 17 with 8525 viewssaxbend

Our changes were forced by injury. We didn't even have the option to give Cook and JCS half each half of each of these games. Cook's going to have to play 270 minutes this week. We were not just resting players for the sake of it. Fact is we were trying to win the game. We will also try to beat Millwall and hope that we have enough players fit and full of energy for it. I enjoyed what I saw tonight. Take Eze out of that Palace side and we might have had a decent chance. Put either one of JCS and Chair in for us and we definitely would. Even as it was we were a lucky deflection for Eze and a very close late miss from Lloyd away from a much better result.

As for Celar, he worked hard, linked up with the midfielders, used his strength, and up against a Euro 24 finalist among a very solid Palace back line. I have no complaints at all. I'll take this over losing to Keith Stroud any day. Before the game when I saw the teams I was expecting us to get hammered.
Utterly Sick of It on 22:55 - Sep 17 with 8402 viewsManinBlack

We rarely beat teams in the top division but the annoyance for me is that a lot of Premiership sides treat this cup with disdain much like we and other Championship sides. I watch these cup games and it always seems the players on both sides are only playing at 60% and neither side bothered about winning.

Palace had a strong side but they were not giving 100%
out there and we are not good enough to capitalise. There was an opportunity to win this tonight but once again we lose a London derby.

Four home games this season and no wins over 90 minutes. All very well saving players for the league game but over the years we have tossed off a cup game only to lose the following league game.
Utterly Sick of It on 22:56 - Sep 17 with 8365 viewsLongsufferingR

Utterly Sick of It on 22:48 - Sep 17 by saxbend

Our changes were forced by injury. We didn't even have the option to give Cook and JCS half each half of each of these games. Cook's going to have to play 270 minutes this week. We were not just resting players for the sake of it. Fact is we were trying to win the game. We will also try to beat Millwall and hope that we have enough players fit and full of energy for it. I enjoyed what I saw tonight. Take Eze out of that Palace side and we might have had a decent chance. Put either one of JCS and Chair in for us and we definitely would. Even as it was we were a lucky deflection for Eze and a very close late miss from Lloyd away from a much better result.

As for Celar, he worked hard, linked up with the midfielders, used his strength, and up against a Euro 24 finalist among a very solid Palace back line. I have no complaints at all. I'll take this over losing to Keith Stroud any day. Before the game when I saw the teams I was expecting us to get hammered.

Not sure I agree tbh. Ashby ahead of Dunne or Santos wasn't forced on us. Dixon-Bonner ahead of Dembele wasn't forced on us. Celar ahead of Frey wasn't forced on us.

Had those three not started it wouldn't have felt like we had thrown the game away before kick-off.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:08 - Sep 17 with 8154 viewsA40Bosh

Brian as Marti cannot come on here and defend himself, then speaking on his behalf and trying to see it from his position and that he did not mean to disrespect the competition but on Sunday or Monday he finds that where he is with the injuries he felt he had to play that team tonight.

JCS and Morrison out, he needs 2 of Cook, Jimmy and Sam to cover CB for next 2-3 games, so tries to rest Jimmy who is also first choice RB so far. He has to therefore slot in Ashby and get him playing time in case, God forbid Cook or Field get an injury or red tonight and Jimmy HAS to play CB.

That takes Field out of Midfield and Colback was not even on the bench tonight - so is that rest or injury as well?

I think he could have and should have started with Frey tonight , I reckon he is robust enough to do 3 a week now - but again maybe that is a risk to far.

I think management diplomacy probably puts a positive spin on these cup games to say that they want to give us squad players their chance to show they are good enough, but the reality is probably that they are not and therefore to protect our league position and the managers’s job they have to be put in the firing line for one off games where our league position and the manager’s tenure is not affected over the coming weeks.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Utterly Sick of It on 23:14 - Sep 17 with 8003 viewsNorthernr

I agree Brian, as you'd expect.
Thought we were way too passive, too tepid. Stood off them. It's Palace FFS, you can tackle them.
As it turns out, the game was there for us, and the moment we did get on the front foot we nearly scored, then did score, and could have scored again in the last minute.
So we can come away talking about positives, patting ourselves on the back for running a team playing in third gear close.
Personally I'd rather us have gone all in on that, and if it means we lose to Millwall then fine.
But the game's not for me and you any more mate.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:15 - Sep 17 with 7995 viewsnumptydumpty

Total disagreement with you on this one Brian.

The manager used the game to give a few more players that are going to be extremely useful for us this season and all have shown some signs of promise - Celar had a few moments but am not giving up on the guy at all , like a lot of our fans online seem to have done already.

Frey was pretty anonymous last season. You got to give all players time.

Was an excellent second half performance against a pretty much full strength premiership side and a lot of the new players put in decent performances, weren't overawed at all and showed signs of promise and adjusting to our league.

Thought Saito, Ashby, Varane, Madsen, Lloyd, Smyth, Field all performed really well.

It's a real positive to see so many players with promise in the squad and we had four first teamers out injured also.

Ok we are out but a lucky deflected goal beat us and the breadth of a post by Lloyd in last minute away from a deserved draw.

Great atmosphere at the ground and for me, its going to be an exciting season.

And can't criticise the manager for me. He is building up all players to be competitive with each other and for me that's brilliant

The seven teams in European competition come in the next round so to win a trophy we would likely have to beat three of the top Premier league teams to win the cup.

Unbelievably unlikely.

It just doesn't happen anymore. The divide is so big.

Was a great night. Shame Alfie couldn't have scored at the end. Think with the crowd behind us we would have done that one.

Unlucky my team I say !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Utterly Sick of It on 23:15 - Sep 17 with 7990 viewsessextaxiboy

I think the organisers of these competitions the EFL and FA have disrespected their own competitions . TBH
Its a squad game , the team we put out tonight were all players from the first team squad who could easily get a start on Sat Its not as if we put out a team of kids , we went toe to toe with Palace for large parts of the game and only lost to a spawny deflection .
I want to win every game but we need to get minutes into players without overloading them.and made to choose ()I know it doesnt work like this ) I would rather beat Millwall on Sat than Palace tonight
Utterly Sick of It on 23:16 - Sep 17 with 7978 viewsNorthernr

Utterly Sick of It on 23:08 - Sep 17 by A40Bosh

Brian as Marti cannot come on here and defend himself, then speaking on his behalf and trying to see it from his position and that he did not mean to disrespect the competition but on Sunday or Monday he finds that where he is with the injuries he felt he had to play that team tonight.

JCS and Morrison out, he needs 2 of Cook, Jimmy and Sam to cover CB for next 2-3 games, so tries to rest Jimmy who is also first choice RB so far. He has to therefore slot in Ashby and get him playing time in case, God forbid Cook or Field get an injury or red tonight and Jimmy HAS to play CB.

That takes Field out of Midfield and Colback was not even on the bench tonight - so is that rest or injury as well?

I think he could have and should have started with Frey tonight , I reckon he is robust enough to do 3 a week now - but again maybe that is a risk to far.

I think management diplomacy probably puts a positive spin on these cup games to say that they want to give us squad players their chance to show they are good enough, but the reality is probably that they are not and therefore to protect our league position and the managers’s job they have to be put in the firing line for one off games where our league position and the manager’s tenure is not affected over the coming weeks.

I get all of this, but let's be honest here - if that was a league game tonight, would that have been the team? And that's your answer.
Utterly Sick of It on 23:17 - Sep 17 with 7944 viewsbosh67

Utterly Sick of It on 22:56 - Sep 17 by LongsufferingR

Not sure I agree tbh. Ashby ahead of Dunne or Santos wasn't forced on us. Dixon-Bonner ahead of Dembele wasn't forced on us. Celar ahead of Frey wasn't forced on us.

Had those three not started it wouldn't have felt like we had thrown the game away before kick-off.

Celar ahead of Frey was kind of forced on us. Frey got a knock in training and was unlikely to play many minutes and didn't play any. Celar (despite being consigned to the bin by many fans) needs time. Frey was last season's Celar for most fans. If we have Ashby we have to give him competitive minutes to get used to the system, impossible just in training. It's a squad game and that squad has to learn on the job. There are no easy games. As someone said earlier, this team actually played a lot better and with more energy than the supposed best team did at Wednesday.

Never knowingly right.

Utterly Sick of It on 23:21 - Sep 17 with 7842 viewsA40Bosh

Utterly Sick of It on 23:16 - Sep 17 by Northernr

I get all of this, but let's be honest here - if that was a league game tonight, would that have been the team? And that's your answer.

No the team would have been stronger and you are right.

Proving that 3 points in the league is their priority over a cup run unfortunately.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024