Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Utterly Sick of It 21:55 - Sep 17 with 20604 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Our club competes for three competitions every year.
We toss off two of them.

In doing so, we disrespect those two competitions, our opponents, and ourselves.

I will never, never understand it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Utterly Sick of It on 00:16 - Sep 18 with 1675 viewsnumptydumpty

Utterly Sick of It on 00:10 - Sep 18 by kensalriser

Generally I'm on the other side of the argument for this one, but the standing off does my nut in (also applies to league games). They're just blokes playing football, they don't have exploding pagers in their shorts.

As for the passive, casual, tepid stuff, well, we've been doing that every game this season at least for part if not all of it.

Fricking heck !!

How were you feeling at this stage of the season last year.

Marti out !!! šŸ¤£

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Utterly Sick of It on 00:27 - Sep 18 with 1582 viewsFredManRave

I am surprised at where this sudden belief that our first choice 11 would have won us the gamer and, therefore, got us into the next round and continued our cup run.

I think the highest gear that I've read that Palace were in tonight was 3rd.

So, if we had played our full strength side and they just up it 1 gear, maximum 2, the resut would have been the same.

I've seen the quote that the goalscorer of their first goal (I'll look his name up later) cost more than our entire squad! Yet people are suggesting that if we'd have played our strongest 11 we'd have won.

The chances would have improved, undoubtedly, but I still don't think this was a game for the taking (as many appear to be suggesting), bearing in mind the team that Palace put out, and therefore the obvious difference in quality.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Utterly Sick of It on 00:34 - Sep 18 with 1537 viewsHunterhoop

Utterly Sick of It on 23:55 - Sep 17 by Northernr

I think, fundamentally, I would like it if we'd tackled them every now and again. I accept everything, I know who we are, who they are, where this competition figures. I get it. But you can tackle them. It's okay, you can. It's Palace.

Actually, edit, I think the issue here is I'd rather win tonight than Saturday. I'd have chucked everything at that tonight. But the whole of the sport now disagrees. So I'm just old man shouting at cloud.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Agree. Couldnā€™t make tonight but said the same thing before the Luton Cup/League double. Then we went and won bothā€¦

We could conceivably get into the Qtrs of the League Cup with some focus and ambition, get a couple of big pays days in the process, bring some respect to the club, and have a big day out. Lots of clubs or our size have reached the latter stages of the cup competitions over the last 20 years.

Saturday is one of 46 league games in a league where everyone beats everyone anyway.

Our full strength may have lost anyway because Palace might have upped it. But you have to go for it. We should not be tossing off the cup competitions. Itā€™s simple. Winning breeds winning. Better to win today or give it your best go and then look to get a result against Millwall. How many times have the club tossed off the Cup game midweek only to lose on the next Sat anyway?! Commercially it is better to win a cup game too. I just donā€™t get the mentality. Experiment/Rotate against Millwall. Thereā€™s a small upside there too as they wonā€™t have prepared for it!
Utterly Sick of It on 00:50 - Sep 18 with 1454 viewsstevec

League cup games donā€™t get a manager sacked, bad league form does.

I also feel this season itā€™s different to previous seasons. We now have a second string, or large parts of it, that are good enough at this level. In the past weā€™ve thrown in kids who were never going to make it.

Thereā€™s been four or five potential bench sitters in this cup run that have proved to themselves that they can step into the first team. Thatā€™s got to be a major step forward.

This is a piss poor league this year, we need to aim everything at it, even if itā€™s only a stepping stone this season.
Utterly Sick of It on 00:51 - Sep 18 with 1465 viewsManinBlack

Whilst Palace have more quality they were underperforming which is why we had more chance to win tonight. If they were playing at full throttle like they will against United then we would probably lose but they were not. They looked like they were not bothered if they got knocked out as their priority is staying in the Premiership. If we seized the initiative in their complacency they may have struggled to turn it round.
Utterly Sick of It on 00:57 - Sep 18 with 1439 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Minimum 5 pages. Nailed on!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Utterly Sick of It on 01:06 - Sep 18 with 1413 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Who makes the decisions to throw away cup games over the last few years.Does every Manager (5 at least ) say lets focus on the league or has anybody higher have input into line ups etc.
I strongly agree with Brian here we need a cup run for the fans as well as the financial rewards yet nobody seems to want this at the club.
Look at Coventry City they should have made the FA Cup final last year (should have )and we need to start in January 2025 IMO
Utterly Sick of It on 01:07 - Sep 18 with 1409 views1BobbyHazell

I think people are winding themselves up a bit here. That was not a really weakened team full of kids and Hamalainens like we may have played in the past.

We've just paid millions for Celar, Madsen and Varane, we've all acknowledged they need minutes to develop and get used to English football and now we're losing our sh*t because the manager had the temerity to start them in a match in a 3 game week! Bit OTT.

Many have already talked about Walsh pushing Nardi and being the keeper of the future but now we must never play him in any game and he should just train and sit on the bench for a year!

If you think Frey can play the best part of 90 minutes 3 times a week you haven't been paying attention. He's had one great game and now Celar must never start?

Dembele was the only obvious quality miss and he still got a half, let's not Willock him to death just yet. He'll be playing more than enough minutes and taking more than enough kickings this season.

It's like some have already forgotten we were absolute dog turd against Wednesday, we made some changes and put in a far superior showing today against some excellent players. I can't see how Colback and Frey would have made much of a difference.

I'll give you Jimmy Dunne, always Jimmy Dunne.
[Post edited 18 Sep 1:09]
Login to get fewer ads

Utterly Sick of It on 01:34 - Sep 18 with 1370 viewsbob566

I'm glad he rested players. League is everything. Needs to back it up with good league results though. Can't be going into last few games with relegation a threat. Let's aim for 12th and have a go at cup next season. I get the frustration too. We've been so crap in cups since the 80s
Utterly Sick of It on 02:40 - Sep 18 with 1282 viewsHoopsie

Itā€™s a Cup tie

Itā€™s a home game

Itā€™s winnable, if you tried

Did we set up to try?

The more worrying thing for me is how the hell were we mucking around in the first half? And then we improved in the second half? Itā€™s a 90 minute game and we throwing a half away to then try to catch up after conceding a goal or two?

Doesnā€™t matter if we were playing a full team or second stringers which is baffling as much as it is infuriating and frustrating

Poll: Isaac Hayden - Yes or No?

Utterly Sick of It on 04:24 - Sep 18 with 1232 viewsGaryHaddock

Brian is of course, utterly right, but the club will never take this seriously while the prize money for winning the third round is less than finishing 21st in the Championship.

Reform it, fund it, or fck it off.
[Post edited 18 Sep 7:46]
Utterly Sick of It on 04:38 - Sep 18 with 1210 viewsstainrods_elbow

Utterly Sick of It on 23:27 - Sep 17 by Northernr

Equaliser provoked them into upping it half a gear, and they scored immediately.

They didn't score 'immediately', and both sides had chances after Sam's equaliser. When they did score, however sublime Eze's approach work, they got a massive slice of luck with that horrible deflection. After that, we could easily have equalised again and had most of the attacking play.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Utterly Sick of It on 04:47 - Sep 18 with 1201 viewsstainrods_elbow

Utterly Sick of It on 00:27 - Sep 18 by FredManRave

I am surprised at where this sudden belief that our first choice 11 would have won us the gamer and, therefore, got us into the next round and continued our cup run.

I think the highest gear that I've read that Palace were in tonight was 3rd.

So, if we had played our full strength side and they just up it 1 gear, maximum 2, the resut would have been the same.

I've seen the quote that the goalscorer of their first goal (I'll look his name up later) cost more than our entire squad! Yet people are suggesting that if we'd have played our strongest 11 we'd have won.

The chances would have improved, undoubtedly, but I still don't think this was a game for the taking (as many appear to be suggesting), bearing in mind the team that Palace put out, and therefore the obvious difference in quality.

How do you know the result would have been the same had we played a full-strength side? I suspect it might well not have been, and if we'd played properly in the 1st half, we might well have won it regardless. Even as it turned out, Alfie's shot is a whisker the other side of the post, and we quite possibly go through on penalties. Second, your tired equation between a player's transfer value and his quality is just wearisome. Eze's a genius, but he still got lucky tonight, and football is swimming with minnows who dump out their over-paid supposed superiors.
[Post edited 18 Sep 4:50]

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Utterly Sick of It on 06:20 - Sep 18 with 1144 viewspaulparker

I think, fundamentally, I would like it if we'd tackled them every now and again. I accept everything, I know who we are, who they are, where this competition figures. I get it. But you can tackle them. It's okay, you can. It's Palace.

Actually, edit, I think the issue here is I'd rather win tonight than Saturday. I'd have chucked everything at that tonight. But the whole of the sport now disagrees. So I'm just old man shouting at cloud.

Iā€™m with you North
We are not going up or down this year so a cup run would have been a very welcome distraction from the same old same old huff and puff in the league, Iā€™d give anything to see us in a final itā€™s what football is about isnā€™t it trying to win silverware look at Coventry last year they were a bollock hair from going to a final , why canā€™t that be us ??? otherwise we may as well not enter the thing
Come January for the FA cup Marti will pick that same side and again we will see the same results

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot Thatā€™s there thatā€™s two, and thatā€™s Bowles Brian Moore

Utterly Sick of It on 06:41 - Sep 18 with 1080 viewsGaryBannister86

Me too. I get the point that our first team probably wouldn't have won anyway but I will never, ever understand why QPR FC do not try their hardest to win a game that could have led to a tie against Spurs, Utd, City, Liverpool if you are negative or even to be a few wins from the semis if you are positive.

We are a football club. The main aim is to win those shiny trophies.

The difference between 3 and 0 points on Saturday will almost certainly be the difference between 11th or 12th or something totally irrelevant at the end of the season. And I don't know why they can't play Tues and Sat anyway.

As a cup man, I am actually pleased Palace seem to realise they have an opportunity and pick pretty much their best side.

Unimpressed with Marti yesterday for the first time.
Utterly Sick of It on 06:51 - Sep 18 with 1040 viewsozexile

Utterly Sick of It on 06:41 - Sep 18 by GaryBannister86

Me too. I get the point that our first team probably wouldn't have won anyway but I will never, ever understand why QPR FC do not try their hardest to win a game that could have led to a tie against Spurs, Utd, City, Liverpool if you are negative or even to be a few wins from the semis if you are positive.

We are a football club. The main aim is to win those shiny trophies.

The difference between 3 and 0 points on Saturday will almost certainly be the difference between 11th or 12th or something totally irrelevant at the end of the season. And I don't know why they can't play Tues and Sat anyway.

As a cup man, I am actually pleased Palace seem to realise they have an opportunity and pick pretty much their best side.

Unimpressed with Marti yesterday for the first time.

Exactly what I want to say. Plus for a selling club we don't seem that keen on putting our players in the shop window. Imagine if we went to Old Trafford and Dembele had a blinder. It would put a lot of money on a transfer.
Utterly Sick of It on 06:53 - Sep 18 with 1034 viewsmart_Goblin

Utterly Sick of It on 00:10 - Sep 18 by kensalriser

Generally I'm on the other side of the argument for this one, but the standing off does my nut in (also applies to league games). They're just blokes playing football, they don't have exploding pagers in their shorts.

As for the passive, casual, tepid stuff, well, we've been doing that every game this season at least for part if not all of it.

Yes I would also agree with this . There were periods in the game where I thought Eze and others had 15 yard ā€˜no go zonesā€™ around them. I accept that they do have superior players to and we were clearly afraid of being pulled apart, but we rarely put them under any sort of pressure or press . I donā€™t even remember a bad tackle apart from maybe Smythā€™s towards the end . Stick it up a few and see what happens !
I thought the ref also had the mindset of ā€œ palace have better players so everything must be a free kick ā€œ when we did on the odd occasion get near to them .
Utterly Sick of It on 07:01 - Sep 18 with 1013 viewsPaddyhoops

Donā€™t normally go to cup games but went along to the game last night .
Good atmosphere and in fairness not a lot between the to sides apart Eze who ran the show.
Would have liked a longer run but this cup is designed for the premier league teams to win .
Itā€™s the leauge cup but the ā€œ leauge ā€œ teams are being discriminated against.
Weā€™re never going to win it which is the reason a lot of fans are so ambivalent about it .
Sad but thatā€™s the facts of it .
The top premier league teams will sack it off in the next few years so it might make for a more even playing field.
Utterly Sick of It on 07:08 - Sep 18 with 984 viewsGaryBannister86

Utterly Sick of It on 07:01 - Sep 18 by Paddyhoops

Donā€™t normally go to cup games but went along to the game last night .
Good atmosphere and in fairness not a lot between the to sides apart Eze who ran the show.
Would have liked a longer run but this cup is designed for the premier league teams to win .
Itā€™s the leauge cup but the ā€œ leauge ā€œ teams are being discriminated against.
Weā€™re never going to win it which is the reason a lot of fans are so ambivalent about it .
Sad but thatā€™s the facts of it .
The top premier league teams will sack it off in the next few years so it might make for a more even playing field.

"We're never going to win it" - isn't that true of every single season we had in the Premier League, so should we just not have bothered?

Isn't that true in 1982 when we were a second division club?

I agree it is unlikely, but it isn't impossible. Coventry last year? Wigan winning the FA Cup? It can happen.
Utterly Sick of It on 07:20 - Sep 18 with 947 viewsdm97

I think in the cold light of day a hell of a lot if this thread can go in the ā€˜emotional overreactionā€™ folder. To compare it to Blackpool et al exits is frankly ridiculous.

We played pretty well. Some players - Varane, Ashby, Saito - needed the game time. They have better players in every position and therefore could just step it up a gear to win, that is not a surprise. The idea that it is somehow utterly unacceptable is to deny the reality of the two clubs and the gap between first and second tier.

I get some on here can remember when palace were beneath us and we won a cup (sounds nice). But thatā€™s not the reality anymore.

Genuinely quite taken aback by the reaction on here. Unsure what planets some people are on when it comes to cup football - ā€œitā€™s not impossibleā€ to win is literally denying all the evidence of the last two decades. Itā€™s not the 80s anymore, second tier teams donā€™t win things (Wigan were in Prem, Coventry didnā€™t actually win anything etc etc)
[Post edited 18 Sep 7:23]
Utterly Sick of It on 07:23 - Sep 18 with 916 viewsnumptydumpty

Utterly Sick of It on 07:20 - Sep 18 by dm97

I think in the cold light of day a hell of a lot if this thread can go in the ā€˜emotional overreactionā€™ folder. To compare it to Blackpool et al exits is frankly ridiculous.

We played pretty well. Some players - Varane, Ashby, Saito - needed the game time. They have better players in every position and therefore could just step it up a gear to win, that is not a surprise. The idea that it is somehow utterly unacceptable is to deny the reality of the two clubs and the gap between first and second tier.

I get some on here can remember when palace were beneath us and we won a cup (sounds nice). But thatā€™s not the reality anymore.

Genuinely quite taken aback by the reaction on here. Unsure what planets some people are on when it comes to cup football - ā€œitā€™s not impossibleā€ to win is literally denying all the evidence of the last two decades. Itā€™s not the 80s anymore, second tier teams donā€™t win things (Wigan were in Prem, Coventry didnā€™t actually win anything etc etc)

Totally agree

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Utterly Sick of It (n/t) on 07:26 - Sep 18 with 906 viewsvanrrrr

Went along last night and am a bit surprised at all the negativity today. Thought we gave it a go as best we could vs a strong team that Palace put out - with some bright performances . First half were we passive or did Palace press up and give little space to play? Seemed the latter from the Loft.

I was more annoyed sitting there wondering how we have fallen sooo far behind Palace as a club. Many of us will have grown up ruling the roost over themā€¦. Miles away now. Depressed me walking home.
[Post edited 18 Sep 7:32]
Utterly Sick of It on 07:27 - Sep 18 with 890 viewsGaryBannister86

Utterly Sick of It on 07:20 - Sep 18 by dm97

I don't think anyone is denying the realities that Palace are far stronger than us, or even that our strongest team would probably have lost anyway.

I'm 50 years old. If I stay well for another 30 years I would like to see is in a cup semi final. I am not asking for much really. I won't even remember the Millwall result in a year's time.

If we had played our strongest 11 (I know we had injuries) and lost like that I would have been uncomplaining. To "get some game time" into players - who cares? It's a knockout round of a major competition. PLAY YOUR ****** BEST AVAILABLE TEAM.

The only manager who ever had an excuse was Warnock. We were top. Real chance. I didn't agree with that either. We had a good side, could have had a deep cup run. It isn't terminal for your league prospects to have that, is it? Where is the proof of that?

Do you think Warburton was still right to "rest" a flying-at-the-time Willock for the Peterboro FA Cup game? A defeat from which we then spiralled down the table anyway?
Utterly Sick of It on 07:30 - Sep 18 with 857 viewsMr_Beef

I can still remember the 5th round FA Cup game against Millwall in 1995. I'd be surprised if I can remember the Millwall league game on Saturday that we sacked last night off for in more than a few months time.

Wouldn't it be nice to have one of those big cup nights at Loftus Road for a change amid all the drudgery of aiming to finish between 9th and 16th in the league.
Utterly Sick of It on 07:37 - Sep 18 with 807 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Nice bit of back-slapping.
Is it possible we could demand any less of ourselves?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024