Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barcelona recommendations 11:16 - Sep 16 with 2123 viewskingsburyR

All,

At the end of October i join the 50 club. My wife and two daughters are taking me to Barcelona for three nights. Unfortunately Barca are away that weekend.

Any recommendations of things to do - never been there before but the wife has - so We'll already know about the obvious bits. Good places to eat etc will be greatly received.

You've always come up trumps in the past.

Thanks in advance.

KR
[Post edited 17 Sep 7:11]

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Barcelona recommendations on 11:17 - Sep 16 with 2120 viewsBluce_Ree

a good money belt you can wear under your shirt. Apparently the place is crawling with pickpockets.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Barcelona recommendations on 11:45 - Sep 16 with 1978 viewsPaddyhoops

Going there with six mates on Thursday. Double booked unfortunately so will mean looking for a pub with our lot against Waaalll.
Beaches are great . Lots of Irish themed bars . Take a trip to the Olympic park . The swimming pool and athletics stadium which is being used by Barcalona at the moment is free to the public during week days . It’s a 15 to minute walk from city centre .
Markets and cathedral well worth a look .
And has been said watch your pockets and phones .
Enjoy.
Barcelona recommendations on 11:49 - Sep 16 with 1959 viewsPaddyhoops

Happy birthday as well mate .
Barcelona recommendations on 11:54 - Sep 16 with 1949 viewscpgerber

Girona is not too far away, might head up there for a football game? Otherwise Espanyol also based in Barcelona.

For the tourist attractions, book ahead. Especially Famila Sagria, it is immensely popular.
Barcelona recommendations on 11:56 - Sep 16 with 1943 viewsaston_hoop

Barcelona recommendations on 11:54 - Sep 16 by cpgerber

Girona is not too far away, might head up there for a football game? Otherwise Espanyol also based in Barcelona.

For the tourist attractions, book ahead. Especially Famila Sagria, it is immensely popular.

I'll stick this thread from a few months back here because it had plenty of decent stuff

OT- Barcelona visit by watihus 14 May 12:12
I will be in Barcelona for some project-related work in late July.  Any hotel recommendations? May be some bars or places to visit? This will be my first time over there. Also, I was wondering when the Barcelona vs. Manchester City match would be. If the schedule is in Camp Nou, I will try to attend. 

[Post edited 16 Sep 11:56]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Barcelona recommendations on 22:09 - Sep 16 with 1713 viewswombat

Barcelona recommendations on 11:56 - Sep 16 by aston_hoop

I'll stick this thread from a few months back here because it had plenty of decent stuff

OT- Barcelona visit by watihus 14 May 12:12
I will be in Barcelona for some project-related work in late July.  Any hotel recommendations? May be some bars or places to visit? This will be my first time over there. Also, I was wondering when the Barcelona vs. Manchester City match would be. If the schedule is in Camp Nou, I will try to attend. 

[Post edited 16 Sep 11:56]

Open top us tours are a great and easy of getting round , think there is two of them in operation , las ramblas is great but as others have said watch out for pickpockets and bag snatchers there .

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Barcelona recommendations on 22:15 - Sep 16 with 1691 viewsstowmarketrange

Barcelona recommendations on 11:45 - Sep 16 by Paddyhoops

Going there with six mates on Thursday. Double booked unfortunately so will mean looking for a pub with our lot against Waaalll.
Beaches are great . Lots of Irish themed bars . Take a trip to the Olympic park . The swimming pool and athletics stadium which is being used by Barcalona at the moment is free to the public during week days . It’s a 15 to minute walk from city centre .
Markets and cathedral well worth a look .
And has been said watch your pockets and phones .
Enjoy.

You can’t beat flahertys Irish pub for sport.Its just off La Ramblas and there’s enough tvs for most sports to be shown.
Barcelona recommendations on 22:18 - Sep 16 with 1676 viewsRamseyR

I wouldn't recommend the open bus tour. Rip off prices and very poor headsets. Also be careful of having a drink on the Ramblas....they have different price structures depending on where the table is. Book the Sagrada Familia in advance or you may not get it. Wonderful city but keep your wits about you.
Login to get fewer ads

Barcelona recommendations on 00:06 - Sep 17 with 1577 viewsBoston

Barcelona recommendations on 11:17 - Sep 16 by Bluce_Ree

a good money belt you can wear under your shirt. Apparently the place is crawling with pickpockets.

My youngest daughter was mugged there about a month ago.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Barcelona recommendations on 00:15 - Sep 17 with 1567 viewsdennisbailey92

Sagrada Familia is quite amazing and worth a visit
Barcelona recommendations on 00:56 - Sep 17 with 1544 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Barcelona recommendations on 00:06 - Sep 17 by Boston

My youngest daughter was mugged there about a month ago.

That is disgusting news Boston I hope she is ok mentally as well as physically .Nothing ruins a trip like losing valuables by pickpocketing but getting mugged is another level.
My daughter flew to Manchester to see City clinch the league in May this year then hopped across to Barcalona to meet an American girl who lived there but thankfully they were safe.
Lots of pictures of incredible churches and ocean views plus plates of food they ordered so I presume food is big there
Barcelona recommendations on 05:36 - Sep 17 with 1441 viewsstowmarketrange

Barcelona recommendations on 00:15 - Sep 17 by dennisbailey92

Sagrada Familia is quite amazing and worth a visit

It’ll be better when it’s finished.
Barcelona recommendations on 09:20 - Sep 17 with 1242 viewsTomS

Barcelona recommendations on 05:36 - Sep 17 by stowmarketrange

It’ll be better when it’s finished.

This is what can happen when builders get an open ended contract, getting paid by the hour!
Barcelona recommendations on 10:24 - Sep 17 with 1134 viewsR_from_afar

I have been to Barcelona twice, for work, and ate at this restaurant twice, really enjoying it. It does get mixed reviews, I'll admit, but the food I had was great and it was very atmospheric.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d717325-Reviews-Los_Cara

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Barcelona recommendations on 13:42 - Sep 17 with 984 viewsJuzzie

As others have said, watch out for pickpockets & scammers. Another trick I've heard they do is when you're eating and you've left your phone/wallet on the table. They'll put a map down on top of them and ask for directions (yeah, 'cos asking tourists for directions is the first thing I'd do when looking for somewhere) and they'll pick up the item underneath and walk away with it.

Barcelona recommendations on 14:30 - Sep 17 with 923 viewsrobith

On the flip side in Barcelona, my wife had her phone nicked, and then we got an email from the Police saying they had it and to come to this address and get it. We obvs went mob handed to be sure. To our surprise, it actually was a police building and she was reunited with her phone inside of 10 minutes. Last I was there I saw a roaming squad of undercover cops nicking people - so whilst it is shitty (and I dunno why focused on Barcelona, not the case in Madrid at all) they do take it seriously
Barcelona recommendations on 14:42 - Sep 17 with 901 viewsaston_hoop

The big issue with the crime here is that theft isn't really considered much of an offense. If they happen to be caught, they will most likely get a small fine and a slap on the wrists. No criminal record though. In many cases, just the things they've stolen will be recovered and sent on their way. Its just a tax on a living in that sense. The police know who the thieves are mostly, they know where they live. Its a silly game of cat and mouse really. Plus its all about who the thieves target, tourists as much as possible or at least foreigners. I've never had any trouble in 5 years but on the other hand, we had a young Chinese intern who was robbed 3 times in her first month in the city. I wouldn't let it spoil a trip though certainly, just be vigilant and know the tricks

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Barcelona recommendations on 14:45 - Sep 17 with 890 viewsBoston

Barcelona recommendations on 00:56 - Sep 17 by CLAREMAN1995

That is disgusting news Boston I hope she is ok mentally as well as physically .Nothing ruins a trip like losing valuables by pickpocketing but getting mugged is another level.
My daughter flew to Manchester to see City clinch the league in May this year then hopped across to Barcalona to meet an American girl who lived there but thankfully they were safe.
Lots of pictures of incredible churches and ocean views plus plates of food they ordered so I presume food is big there

Thanks for your concern. Mentally and physically fine, employment as a teacher in the Boston Public School System has her well prepared for abuse.
[Post edited 17 Sep 14:58]

Barcelona recommendations on 14:58 - Sep 17 with 841 viewsPaddyhoops

Barcelona recommendations on 22:15 - Sep 16 by stowmarketrange

You can’t beat flahertys Irish pub for sport.Its just off La Ramblas and there’s enough tvs for most sports to be shown.

That’s were we’ll be for Millwall game. Hopefully .
It does a cracking breakfast as well .
If there are any hoops fans who have double booked like we have, that’s where we’ll be .
Barcelona recommendations on 16:17 - Sep 17 with 733 viewsLogman

Lived in Barcelona for 4 months last summer (and melted in the heat for two of those).

I would say to visit the centre early in the day when the streets are less busy and try not to eat out or drink there. You will not eat well in the centre and it will not be a pleasant experience. As you are going for a big occasion go down to the Maremagnum where you will find a better quality restaurant or go 2 stops on the yellow line along the beach to Villa Olimpica Ciutadella where there are also fish restaurants around a (now overdeveloped) marina.

Better still, go to one of the two nearest towns (Badalona - north) and Casteldfells Mar (south), both about 40 minutes by metro or train. It will take a little bit of planning and effort but you'll be able to relax and stroll out there and you will eat in an authentic place with authentic Spanish (Catalan) food and wine served by Spanish (Catalan) staff.
Barcelona recommendations on 19:46 - Sep 17 with 477 viewsHarbour

Barcelona recommendations on 11:17 - Sep 16 by Bluce_Ree

I got mugged coming out of the metro ..other than that well worth a visit ..nou camp worth a look. All the usual tourists spots good…a day on the beach is good …enjoy but leave your wallet at home
Barcelona recommendations on 19:56 - Sep 17 with 472 viewsJuzzie

Not that I’m condoning it but I’ve been to some pretty poor places where i can understand mugging/pickpocketing/street scamming etc happens.

This is Barcelona though, not Kabul.
Are things that bad that they have to resort to this or are these people just utter cnts with no moral fibre? I mean, they’ve got money to spend on clown costumes, balloons and face paint which they’ll have to replenish frequently so who gets up in the morning putting a costume on to knowingly and deliberately rip people off and harass the fk out of them.

Same in Rome, got money to pay for centurion costumes so they’re not exactly destitute.

[Post edited 17 Sep 20:12]
Barcelona recommendations on 20:42 - Sep 17 with 398 viewsLogman

The town hall/police are pretty thorough but they don't quite go about the problem effectively enough. They somehow need to become a bit more international and to celebrate the different nationalities more. That said, there are a hell of a lot of chancers in the city because it's got a good climate, it's by the sea and things are pretty well organised in Spain. You've just got to take the rough with the smooth. There are a hell of a lot of people in this world who haven't got a roof to call their own over their heads. It just so happens that quite a few gravitate to Barcelona because they think the grass is greener there and conditions are better for them. People with a lot lot less than you or I. Needing to get by. Theft happens.
[Post edited 17 Sep 22:00]
Barcelona recommendations on 21:48 - Sep 17 with 339 viewsBoston

Barcelona recommendations on 19:56 - Sep 17 by Juzzie

Not that I’m condoning it but I’ve been to some pretty poor places where i can understand mugging/pickpocketing/street scamming etc happens.

This is Barcelona though, not Kabul.
Are things that bad that they have to resort to this or are these people just utter cnts with no moral fibre? I mean, they’ve got money to spend on clown costumes, balloons and face paint which they’ll have to replenish frequently so who gets up in the morning putting a costume on to knowingly and deliberately rip people off and harass the fk out of them.

Same in Rome, got money to pay for centurion costumes so they’re not exactly destitute.

[Post edited 17 Sep 20:12]

I doubt many ethnic Catalonians are involved.

Barcelona recommendations on 23:08 - Sep 17 with 253 viewsstowmarketrange

Barcelona recommendations on 14:58 - Sep 17 by Paddyhoops

That’s were we’ll be for Millwall game. Hopefully .
It does a cracking breakfast as well .
If there are any hoops fans who have double booked like we have, that’s where we’ll be .

Traditional Irish breakfast for €8.50.Fill your boots mate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024