Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Breaking down the Llyod Goal 16:08 - Sep 15 with 9233 viewsLazyFan

I thought I would break down the Llyod goal for you so, you can see what actually went on. I stuck on some Red Arrows to show where the ball is. Comments in brackets.

From the corner, Dunne beats two players in the air to head the ball towards the goal (great header fairly won).

The ball is cleared with the top shoulder 1 yard in front of the goal line (no handball and no goal, awesome defending by the Wed player).

The ball goes across goal and is cleared again with the knee (the Wednesday player panics and lashes out; it could have been a double hit; hence, it was a poor clearance).

Cook sees the loose ball and shoots, but the shot is blocked (there could be a possible foul on Cook in there, but it is hard to see).

Two Wed players fall on top of the ball (chaos as they panic)

Dunne moves in to collect the ball (notice the Wed keeper is nowhere near the action at this point; this is important as Wed fans claim the keeper was held down)

Dunne attempts to play the ball as his shirt is pulled on the back (foul penalty as there is no attempt to play the ball with Dunne in possession) as two Wed players on the floor possibly obstruct the ball being played with their feet (obstruction, free-kick inside the box, defence forced to stand on the goal line)

Ball falls to Cook, who attempts a second shot. The keeper rushes out (Dunne is just getting up after being Shirt pulled)

Cook strikes the ball first with his toe through the legs of the defender (no foul) and then and only then his leg hits the the Wed player in the back of the lower achilles tendon and only after poking the the ball first. Wed Keeper makes a great save. (this happens after Dunne had been shirt pulled and then the Wed defender knocks Dunne over onto the Wed Keeper who has already made the save).

Ball goes to a Wed player, who pathetcially tries to clear, but pings it up in the air to Saito and the other Wed player. (Dunne is now on top of the Wed Keeper, after being pushed over, but in the video he gets up straight away and also has his Shirt pulled again).

Saito steps back to hit the ball, the Wed player knees the ball at the same time hitting Saito's leg who gets there first, which then plays the ball back into the box. (On one angle, it looks like Saito handles the ball, but as we can see here, he does not and if anything, it's a foul by the Wed player's knee, so it's another possible penalty claim. Also, notice Dunne has got up straight away, as if he does not as we shall see Wed would clear it).

Dunne gets up, shields the ball, allowing Llyod to swivel and score by flicking his right foot at it (If Dunne had not shielded it Wed player 24 would have cleared it so, this how we know Dunne did not hold the Keeper down).

So, the Keeper was not held down. If anything, Dunne was fouled not once but twice in the box, and Saito was fouled as well. And we would have had time to take it, as after the retsart Bannon had a long-range shot. So, there would have been plenty of time to take the pen.

I think the goal is valid despite the complete chaos of it all, as otherwise, we should have had a pen for the blatant shirt-pulling on Dunne and other fouls.

In addition, Saito's knock on means he now has an assist for Llyod.
I wonder if he was credited for it. Does anyone know?

[Post edited 15 Sep 16:33]

zzzzzzzzzz

Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 21:22 - Sep 15 with 2743 viewsRanger_Things

Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 20:17 - Sep 15 by hoops_legend

Brilliant breakdown thank you and credit to ref to keep play going. There was minor fouls both ways but let game flow and we got the goal we deserved (perhaps)

99 times out of a hundred the ref gives a foul on the keeper regardless of what actually happened.
Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 21:42 - Sep 15 with 2650 viewsDannyPaddox

Sheffield Wednesday player has flashback. When 6 years old at school drew a lovely picture of his Mum in felt tip. Wasn’t given the appreciation it deserved.
Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 21:51 - Sep 15 with 2590 viewsTW_R

Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 19:03 - Sep 15 by LazyFan

Even so, that all happens after Dunne's shirt is pulled halfway up his body. You can even see the black of the heart monitor; it's such a blatant pull.

I like the fact that you went through that with meticulous detail but also cleverly lived up to your name by spelling Lloyd’s name wrong throughout 😀
Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 21:52 - Sep 15 with 2576 viewsBenny_the_Ball

"The ball is cleared with the top shoulder 1 yard in front of the goal line (no handball and no goal, awesome defending by the Wed player)."

Disagree with this point. The frame you've captured is after contact with the ball is made. If you freeze it one frame earlier you'll see there's a bit of bicep involved.

Other than that, great breakdown.
[Post edited 15 Sep 22:00]
Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 21:59 - Sep 15 with 2529 viewsbosh67

This has to be the best school yard goal ever scored. It's total anarchy and still quite hard to see where the ball is at various stages. Would make a fantastic spot the ball competition.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 22:06 - Sep 15 with 2492 viewsBurnleyhoop

Must have spent the entire international break working on that set piece, as the overall performance would suggest they did buggar all else.
Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 00:06 - Sep 16 with 2326 viewsconnell10

Who cares it was a goal !!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 05:21 - Sep 16 with 2207 viewsfraserc

I know the Second Tier Podcast gets some grief on here but their latest video revels in the glory of the goalmouth scramble. The goods start at 51:21:

Login to get fewer ads

Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 11:38 - Sep 16 with 1240 viewsStrawberryHillR

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/GXl2yZXXQAAdAM4?format=png&name=small
[Post edited 16 Sep 11:56]
Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 11:43 - Sep 16 with 1202 viewsLazyFan

This video shows some gaps/mistakes in my analysis.
Source:

This angle gives us more information on what went on.

We can see that Cook never really gets what I thought was his first shot off, Dunne pokes it away from everyone to then have Cook get his second poke shot off, but I wrongly said the keeper on the ground saves this, but he does not, its the defender behind him who blocks it.

Then, when it comes to Saito off a Wed player, it pings up in the air and hits Saito on the right shoulder. Then it bounces into this same Wed player where it bobbles back between the three of them, and the knee comes up from the other Wed player as Saito pokes it through to LLoyd.

Also, Dunne pushing down on the keeper only happens after he's had his shirt pulled and been pushed onto the keeper and only for a second and only when the ball is by this time with Saito and the other 2 Wed players so, its all too late by then anyway.

zzzzzzzzzz

Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 11:57 - Sep 16 with 1158 viewsDannyPaddox

Not until we see the Zapruder footage will we realise how key to all of this Saito was on the grassy knoll.
[Post edited 16 Sep 20:59]
Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 12:19 - Sep 16 with 1105 viewsstainrods_elbow

I think that's what's so enjoyable about a crazy goal like this one is that it 'levels' football - you really could, and probably would, find it on the school playground any day of the week.

I was convinced the ball had crossed the line in the bicep/shoulder block initial phase (and that the defender was behind the line), but apparently not. Amazing the ref didn't give at least five penalties/free kicks in either direction! Can we imagine two more contrasting goals than Alfie's and Bannan's? Style, technique, and poise vs chaos, madness and scavengers' joy.

'What's it all about
When you sort it out, Alfie
Are we meant to take more than we give
Or are we meant to be kind?'

To sound a sourer note for the sake of devil's advocacy/critical balance, meanwhile, let's hope our manager and his team is working on his/our crap first halves, as he clearly wasn't doing that during the int. break! Does he have difficulty setting us up tactically from the start?
[Post edited 16 Sep 12:38]

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 14:15 - Sep 16 with 964 viewsRagingbull1932

I love this thread because it was almost impossible to work out what was going on in real time with the naked eye
Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 16:26 - Sep 16 with 798 viewsJuzzie

Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 14:15 - Sep 16 by Ragingbull1932

I love this thread because it was almost impossible to work out what was going on in real time with the naked eye

which, despite the moaning Wednesdayites, is why the ref probably couldn't blow up if he's unable to see anything regardless if there were multiple infractions by either side.

Ball ending up in the net was the only absolute.

I'd be gutted if it happened to us but I wouldn't blame anyone.

[Post edited 16 Sep 16:45]
Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 21:13 - Sep 16 with 630 viewsqueensparker

I love the science but the fact remains we got the one referee in a hundred who didn’t just blow the whistle once it got a bit out of hand. The football Gods were smiling alright

The fact all football fans are loving it (I’ve had so many random messages from all over) shows where the joy in football lies - it’s not with VAR nerds with laptops who got picked last in year 5.

No shade on you Lazy this is a work of art
Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 12:10 - Sep 17 with 297 viewsJuzzie

Breaking down the Llyod Goal on 21:13 - Sep 16 by queensparker

I love the science but the fact remains we got the one referee in a hundred who didn’t just blow the whistle once it got a bit out of hand. The football Gods were smiling alright

The fact all football fans are loving it (I’ve had so many random messages from all over) shows where the joy in football lies - it’s not with VAR nerds with laptops who got picked last in year 5.

No shade on you Lazy this is a work of art

This in a nutshell. Just about everyone (apart from Wendy's) are loving it simply because this is what it should be about.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024