Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans 01:30 - Sep 7 with 2563 viewsQuillPenRiot

In the spirit of international break philosophical discussion, I’m curious about the views and differences between those lucky enough to have grown up near our beloved Rangers and those of us less lucky but still fortunate enough to have found this sacred totem of football

Personally, part of me views myself, a fan since 2006, like something of a dog looking for scraps under the table (the scraps being of questionable merit since they’re full of misery, sporadic accolades, Flavio, and the inspirational epic winner)

To get the discussion started: https://youtube.com/shorts/X1RxauWR6jk?si=tFqOUiM5jpyW3__d
QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 12:29 - Sep 9 with 1856 viewsJuzzie

I do think the experiences of those who go to a game, and even maybe come from the vicinity, are different to those who live abroad, never able to have gone to a game and therefore can only watch on tv/stream.

Doesn't make them less of a fan, just a different experience.

I do think though that being at a game does give you a different perspective compared to watching on tv, on stream (legit or otherwise) and I've always felt that tv/streaming viewing just isn't the same and you can miss nuances that you can get at the ground because you're choosing how to watch the game rather than the cameraman/director.
QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 12:42 - Sep 9 with 1826 viewsRangersw12

I think people who go to the games feel a different sort pain more after every bad performance or result compared to someone watching on TV .

The money and time spent going all over the country to then watch them easily capitulate is soul destroying at times but then it's what makes the results even sweeter when they do surprise us and put in a performance.

On TV you see a totally different game and can be more critical of performancs as you see the overall picture of the game rather than just focusing on the ball like you do in the stands
QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 14:59 - Sep 9 with 1695 viewsCLAREMAN1995

QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 12:42 - Sep 9 by Rangersw12

I think people who go to the games feel a different sort pain more after every bad performance or result compared to someone watching on TV .

The money and time spent going all over the country to then watch them easily capitulate is soul destroying at times but then it's what makes the results even sweeter when they do surprise us and put in a performance.

On TV you see a totally different game and can be more critical of performancs as you see the overall picture of the game rather than just focusing on the ball like you do in the stands

Excellent post there Rangersw12 and I agree except for your last point.The fans in England who pay their hard earned money down to follow QPR feel way more pain,frustration and anger after every bad performance or losing streak.On the flip side being there when we crush Leeds or score 2 to beat Luton makes up for those miserable nights but they are pretty rare following QPR.
The point about watching it on TV is where I differ from you.Apart from excellent replays and angles its impossible to see what players are busting a gut off the ball or just going through the motions.This is why I love the "Just Back Threads " they normally give a completly different view/rating of players that the TV watchers have formed.
Watching TV by yourself is pretty far removed from celebrating at LF or in the away ends plus you have the pre and post match drinks to go over the game.
Biggest difference living in the US and watching 3 pm games (9 am here ) is when the when the final whistle blows and you drag yourself away from the Russian strippers or even the official telecast you simply walk outside and start cutting the grass or work around the house because its only mid morning .If QPR get hammered are beaten by a last minute goal you can forget it easier when you have a busy day ahead.
The midweek games are no good of course its right after lunch on a work day so the phone comes in handy and Boston takes care of us with highlights when we are eating dinner
QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 17:22 - Sep 9 with 1542 viewscharmr

Going to game and watching it on tv, night and day experience for me.
So more invested in the experience when being there. Went to Southampton and Plymouth at home games last year and enjoyed every minute. LR has a real magic behind it when we the collective are at one. My Watford mate came with me to the Plymouth game and agreed.

It’s the thing I miss the most about living here is going to football, and currant buns/bread with a crust.
[Post edited 9 Sep 17:26]
QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 17:39 - Sep 9 with 1460 viewsDavieQPR

Watching on a screen can never replicate the atmosphere of a live game. One gets a feeling of tribal belonging at an away game.
QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 17:56 - Sep 9 with 1430 viewsGaryT

As I'm no longer in the UK this is what I'd like to be doing...

but this is what I actually do...

QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 18:27 - Sep 9 with 1344 viewsjoe90

Nothing compares to watching QPR live. Live football IMO is always better than on the telly. TV coverage is usually awful, pundits, adverts, no atmosphere etc. None of the fancy analysis, graphs, charts, replays from multiple angles, half time commentary could ever make staying at home a preferred option. Rain or shine, I want to be at Loftus Road. It’s an integral part of my love for QPR. It’s part of the identity of the club.

But…being able to attend games doesn’t make me anymore of fan. If you love Rangers that’s all good, doesn’t matter where you are in the world or how you watch the game. Everyone has different circumstances and I’m sure if we could we’d all love to watch the R’s at Loftus Road. The buzz you get from the collective joy of celebrating a goal can’t be replicated by TV. Dunne’s winner last season is a great example, you had to be there!
[Post edited 9 Sep 18:28]
QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 19:03 - Sep 9 with 1238 viewscharmr

ESPN last few seasons had hardly any crowd noise. Joyless to watch. Luton game on Paramount+ had the crowd turned down but nothing like ESPN.

Watched a few Arsenal games and commentators often apologizing for the language that seems to come from the same bloke behind them. Very funny as well.

Don’t think it’s Kier Starmer.
Login to get fewer ads

QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 22:14 - Sep 9 with 1079 viewsMyke

A very interesting discussion. If I could broaden it out to include all non attending fans rather than just American. I have supporting QPR since 1975 and I have seen them THREE times competitively and TWO friendlies (both against Athlone) in the intervening years. The first time was at home to Oldham in 2004(?) in the third tier. A one all draw, pretty bereft of atmosphere, quite toxic actually, considering we were in the family enclosure.
Second occasion is my favourite of the three, away to Bristol City, also a 1-1 draw. Dowie in charge, Ledesma got sent off. But the atmosphere second half was pretty special as we chanted not stop, to get them over the line.
Third time was at Anfield during our most recent relegation year. Lost 3-1, Gerrard missed a penalty. Atmosphere was unsurprisingly muted, considering how shite we were. Gallows humour chant 'We're going down we don't give a fook, we're QPR we'll come back up'.
In the beginning I listened for the results on 5Live on a Saturday afternoon at half-time and full time (James Alexander Gordon). Then the highlights on MotD or the Big Match. In those days (12/13 years old) my mood was dominated by results. I remember being beat 5-1 by Everton early '76/'77 and nobody could talk to me. FA Cup final replay watched in a pub in Sligo town, I was disconsolate (and very drunk) at the end. Nearly got thrown out several times, except my attractive girlfriend was able to plamas the barman. Fast forward to 1986, League Cup S/F another pub, Galway this time, surrounded by Liverpool fans, screaming triumphantly (wouldn't get out alive nowadays) at the TV. Kicked out (no attractive g/f).
Then I worked abroad and fell in love (no necessarily in that order) and had kids and for several years QPR took a back seat, was aware of results, but far too busy with life to be anything like as invested as I had been.
Nowadays,( as recently as last Friday night v Luton )I scream and roar in equal part disgust /delight at our performances. My family have long since stopped worrying about the strange noises emanating from the room, but the next generations boy/girfriends can become quite concerned - they'll learn if they stick around long enough.
But you only have to read any of Clive's reports (the Luton one is a classic) to know my QPR experience is nothing like his. I would argue that few of the even most regular atendees to LR or away games are as invested as he is. But for everyone living in the vicinity their experience is different than mine. And often it is not just QPR related. I don't hate Chelsea for instance - why should I, they are over 500 miles away (I hate Mayo, but that's a different matter) I don't hate Luton or Reading, My only association with Luton is the airport which I have used twice to visit my aunt in Windsor.
So, while I am as passionate and as informed as any fan, there is no comparison to my QPR experience and that of anyone attending regularly or living locally. And I am in awe of anyone travelling to Sunderland (or any long distance match) mid-week. As we saw during Covid (by their absence), fans attending matches are the lifeblood of the club, The rest of us continue to scream manically from the armchair.
QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 23:54 - Sep 9 with 966 viewsstinkydad

If I'd watched Leicester away on the TV last season I wouldn't have seen all the sour looks on the home fans faces. That's priceless.
[Post edited 9 Sep 23:55]
QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 00:27 - Sep 10 with 933 viewsBoston

QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 19:03 - Sep 9 by charmr

ESPN last few seasons had hardly any crowd noise. Joyless to watch. Luton game on Paramount+ had the crowd turned down but nothing like ESPN.

Watched a few Arsenal games and commentators often apologizing for the language that seems to come from the same bloke behind them. Very funny as well.

Don’t think it’s Kier Starmer.

Some disgruntled bearded chappie, think I heard a bloke call him 'Izlington Jerry'.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 09:00 - Sep 10 with 619 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR only discussion - English fans vs American fans on 22:14 - Sep 9 by Myke

A very interesting discussion. If I could broaden it out to include all non attending fans rather than just American. I have supporting QPR since 1975 and I have seen them THREE times competitively and TWO friendlies (both against Athlone) in the intervening years. The first time was at home to Oldham in 2004(?) in the third tier. A one all draw, pretty bereft of atmosphere, quite toxic actually, considering we were in the family enclosure.
Second occasion is my favourite of the three, away to Bristol City, also a 1-1 draw. Dowie in charge, Ledesma got sent off. But the atmosphere second half was pretty special as we chanted not stop, to get them over the line.
Third time was at Anfield during our most recent relegation year. Lost 3-1, Gerrard missed a penalty. Atmosphere was unsurprisingly muted, considering how shite we were. Gallows humour chant 'We're going down we don't give a fook, we're QPR we'll come back up'.
In the beginning I listened for the results on 5Live on a Saturday afternoon at half-time and full time (James Alexander Gordon). Then the highlights on MotD or the Big Match. In those days (12/13 years old) my mood was dominated by results. I remember being beat 5-1 by Everton early '76/'77 and nobody could talk to me. FA Cup final replay watched in a pub in Sligo town, I was disconsolate (and very drunk) at the end. Nearly got thrown out several times, except my attractive girlfriend was able to plamas the barman. Fast forward to 1986, League Cup S/F another pub, Galway this time, surrounded by Liverpool fans, screaming triumphantly (wouldn't get out alive nowadays) at the TV. Kicked out (no attractive g/f).
Then I worked abroad and fell in love (no necessarily in that order) and had kids and for several years QPR took a back seat, was aware of results, but far too busy with life to be anything like as invested as I had been.
Nowadays,( as recently as last Friday night v Luton )I scream and roar in equal part disgust /delight at our performances. My family have long since stopped worrying about the strange noises emanating from the room, but the next generations boy/girfriends can become quite concerned - they'll learn if they stick around long enough.
But you only have to read any of Clive's reports (the Luton one is a classic) to know my QPR experience is nothing like his. I would argue that few of the even most regular atendees to LR or away games are as invested as he is. But for everyone living in the vicinity their experience is different than mine. And often it is not just QPR related. I don't hate Chelsea for instance - why should I, they are over 500 miles away (I hate Mayo, but that's a different matter) I don't hate Luton or Reading, My only association with Luton is the airport which I have used twice to visit my aunt in Windsor.
So, while I am as passionate and as informed as any fan, there is no comparison to my QPR experience and that of anyone attending regularly or living locally. And I am in awe of anyone travelling to Sunderland (or any long distance match) mid-week. As we saw during Covid (by their absence), fans attending matches are the lifeblood of the club, The rest of us continue to scream manically from the armchair.

Cracking post, Myke.

I think you nail the culture for those of us who watch from afar.

I have to compliment the posters on this board who go to matches: they could easily be condescending to those who are consigned to streaming, they could well be patronising, they could well lord it over us with "what you don't understand...".

We rarely, if ever, see that on here. We're all family, and it's great to be treated as such.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024