Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing 08:17 - Aug 5 with 9744 viewsNorthernr

All the Greg Spires analysis and videos here within...

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing 5th Aug 2024 08:14
QPR have finally completed the protracted signing of Jonathan Varane, a French midfielder from Sporting Gijon in Spain. 3

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 09:21 - Aug 5 with 7459 viewsNW11R

Very good piece - as ever. It seems curious to me that assuming we do not have loads of money to chuck around that we have gone for this profile of centre midfielder. In my eyes what we lack more from centre midfield is a 'modern 8 type' - i.e. someone who is a bit more box to box, can link the play with our attacking players and contribute a few goals. Varane seems to be a similar player and upgrade to Field, but I would say we are more desperate for someone who is more forward thinking to compliment Field.
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 09:49 - Aug 5 with 7223 viewsEastR

Looks like a straight replacement for Hayden.
Maybe the manager is thinking it might enable Field to play a bit further forward as he did in the later part of last season and get his goal count up.
Sam was always good value for a booking but that dropped off significantly when Hayden was in the team. Will be tracking his anytime goal scorer odds every half dozen games this season.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 10:09 - Aug 5 with 7063 viewsPdog

A central quartet of Varane & Field with Cook + JCS behind looks like a solid block equipped for the Championship. All 6ft+ with good left/right foot balance. How fluid we're able to work the ball out Marti style time will tell.
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 10:14 - Aug 5 with 7027 viewsLandshark

Has anyone seen reviews from Gijon supporters?
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 10:14 - Aug 5 with 7028 viewsKensalT

Can you give some context on the percentiles.

I get that it shows how he ranks to other players. But who exactly is he being compared to here?

Teammates? La Liga players? The universe? The West London Ladies Hockey League??
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 10:19 - Aug 5 with 6966 viewsngbqpr

Is he a direct replacement for Hayden, meaning we have 4 players (Field, Colback, EDB, Varane) competing for 2 spots?

I'd assumed that when we were linked with him...but just wondering whether the lack of transfer activity in the positions further forward means Marti's looking at 433 , or the old Xmas tree 4321 (so 3 from these 4 start - suspensions permitting, obvs).

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 10:19 - Aug 5 with 6960 viewsLandshark

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 10:14 - Aug 5 by Landshark

Has anyone seen reviews from Gijon supporters?

I decided to not be lazy and look myself. Seems the majority are sad he has left according to his departure tweet.

The top comment was (translated)

"It hurts. It hurts this sale a lot. It's a shame not to have mainly taken out all the sporting performance from a player with great potential. In addition to not taking out that sporting performance, I don't think good economic revenue was made either. Too bad. Very lucky at QPR. He'll succeed, sure."
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 11:09 - Aug 5 with 6532 viewsLblock

So do we think that means book closed on the Hayden transfer?

I still think he could arrive late in window IF the barcodes don’t get any takers for him.
Same deal as last season with us picking up % of wages
Without that he’s a non starter but if other clubs don’t go for him they’ll want him out and even if they recover a minimal amount it makes sense for them to do so. I’d take him back as another body as Colback and Anderson won’t be ever presents for various reasons. Durability in an EFL midfield is key.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 11:16 - Aug 5 with 6483 viewsStainrod

Read elsewhere that the player his stats most resemble in world football is - Isaac Hayden. Hopefully there was a bit more due diligence than that but it does slightly suggest the word came down "we can't afford Hayden, find me a cheaper, younger version."

I like the height aspect - Dunne's aerial ability made a big difference and so should Varane.

Whist attack remains a massive problem its tried and trusted football management to sort the defensive side first.

In the absence of further recruits I hope we line up with Field and Varane holding with EDB further advanced.

Varane seems a positive signings - my only reservations are he couldn't get in his team towards the back end of last season, and he has about the same experience as EDB, so we are not buying the finished article here. And if we can't get Hayden on loan in a cut-price deal at the end of the window it means a lot will rest on Varane seeing as Colback looks spent.
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 11:40 - Aug 5 with 6284 viewsdmm

We now have 4 players for the two slots in a 4231. The club won't add a 5th player when there are other positions in greater need of bolstering.
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 11:45 - Aug 5 with 6232 viewsQPR_Jim

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 11:16 - Aug 5 by Stainrod

Read elsewhere that the player his stats most resemble in world football is - Isaac Hayden. Hopefully there was a bit more due diligence than that but it does slightly suggest the word came down "we can't afford Hayden, find me a cheaper, younger version."

I like the height aspect - Dunne's aerial ability made a big difference and so should Varane.

Whist attack remains a massive problem its tried and trusted football management to sort the defensive side first.

In the absence of further recruits I hope we line up with Field and Varane holding with EDB further advanced.

Varane seems a positive signings - my only reservations are he couldn't get in his team towards the back end of last season, and he has about the same experience as EDB, so we are not buying the finished article here. And if we can't get Hayden on loan in a cut-price deal at the end of the window it means a lot will rest on Varane seeing as Colback looks spent.

Is he that much cheaper? We've had to pay a lump to sign him whereas Hayden would have been free and sounded like he was willing to cut his wages to a suitable level.

I think it was more a case of we need a Hayden type player, what's the best investment for the club. Hayden was great but there's little sell on potential. He's probably at or past his peak so possibly not going to maintain that level of performance for too many years. We've instead used the money, (possibly very similar money when his fee and wages are considered*) on someone who may improve to a level where we can sell him for a profit.

Hopefully that's it for CM now, we have 4 good options, we need to use our remaining resources strengthening other areas of the squad I think.

*Not knowing the length of the contract makes this hard to work out but assuming the rumored fee of £825k is spread over 3 years, it is equivalent to just over 5k a week in wages. Is this why we hide contract lengths so other clubs find it harder to work out how close to FFP limit we are?
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 12:08 - Aug 5 with 5976 viewsStainrod

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 11:45 - Aug 5 by QPR_Jim

Is he that much cheaper? We've had to pay a lump to sign him whereas Hayden would have been free and sounded like he was willing to cut his wages to a suitable level.

I think it was more a case of we need a Hayden type player, what's the best investment for the club. Hayden was great but there's little sell on potential. He's probably at or past his peak so possibly not going to maintain that level of performance for too many years. We've instead used the money, (possibly very similar money when his fee and wages are considered*) on someone who may improve to a level where we can sell him for a profit.

Hopefully that's it for CM now, we have 4 good options, we need to use our remaining resources strengthening other areas of the squad I think.

*Not knowing the length of the contract makes this hard to work out but assuming the rumored fee of £825k is spread over 3 years, it is equivalent to just over 5k a week in wages. Is this why we hide contract lengths so other clubs find it harder to work out how close to FFP limit we are?

With Hayden I guess there is free and there is "free". We don't know if Newcastle were prepared to buy him out entirely of his contract - if they were he should have been open to a very big reduction in wages. But hypothetically if they offered to pay him only a percentage of his contract - and frankly, who could blame them? - then Hayden might be looking for much higher wages than we were prepared to offer. Its why I think whatever happens to Hayden - whether he comes here on loan, goes elsewhere either on loan or permanently, or stays in Newcastle reserves - it probably comes down to a calculation on the final day of the window: what is the highest wage offer open to Hayden, and if Hayden wants Newcastle to cover the shortfall, whether Newcastle are prepared to pay that much to get him off their books.

Agree Varane the clear winner in likely future value. Downside oc is he is far less proven. Clive produced some stats (think in his end of season report) showing Hayden's contribution and it was incredibly impressive. One of those players who, to employ the cliche, does all the stuff fans don't notice. But guess our finances dictate we have to go for potential. Plus getting older players is not entirely risk free either, as Stefan and Charlie second time around proved - albeit Hayden is considerably younger than both of those.
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 12:30 - Aug 5 with 5701 viewsngbqpr

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 12:08 - Aug 5 by Stainrod

With Hayden I guess there is free and there is "free". We don't know if Newcastle were prepared to buy him out entirely of his contract - if they were he should have been open to a very big reduction in wages. But hypothetically if they offered to pay him only a percentage of his contract - and frankly, who could blame them? - then Hayden might be looking for much higher wages than we were prepared to offer. Its why I think whatever happens to Hayden - whether he comes here on loan, goes elsewhere either on loan or permanently, or stays in Newcastle reserves - it probably comes down to a calculation on the final day of the window: what is the highest wage offer open to Hayden, and if Hayden wants Newcastle to cover the shortfall, whether Newcastle are prepared to pay that much to get him off their books.

Agree Varane the clear winner in likely future value. Downside oc is he is far less proven. Clive produced some stats (think in his end of season report) showing Hayden's contribution and it was incredibly impressive. One of those players who, to employ the cliche, does all the stuff fans don't notice. But guess our finances dictate we have to go for potential. Plus getting older players is not entirely risk free either, as Stefan and Charlie second time around proved - albeit Hayden is considerably younger than both of those.

Wouldn't mind betting that in an ideal world, Marti would prefer Hayden over Colback, but Colback's the contracted one.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 12:38 - Aug 5 with 5599 viewssimmo

Whilst this could be a decent, if not perfect answer to the kind of CM profile were lacking right now, this is still a great example of future planning. We might get 1 more year out of Colback, and Field could easily be picked up next summer if he has another solid season, so a 22 year old high ceiling lad will have a year to acclimatise and learn/develop to be the next man up, whilst hopefully adding something different.

Celar aside, we seem to have made signings this year with exactly that in mind. Good enough for depth and to start without being replied upon, but with an eye on replacing current starters and being the pillars of the squad the next few years.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 12:45 - Aug 5 with 5457 viewsdmm

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 12:38 - Aug 5 by simmo

Whilst this could be a decent, if not perfect answer to the kind of CM profile were lacking right now, this is still a great example of future planning. We might get 1 more year out of Colback, and Field could easily be picked up next summer if he has another solid season, so a 22 year old high ceiling lad will have a year to acclimatise and learn/develop to be the next man up, whilst hopefully adding something different.

Celar aside, we seem to have made signings this year with exactly that in mind. Good enough for depth and to start without being replied upon, but with an eye on replacing current starters and being the pillars of the squad the next few years.

Celar is only 25 and among the younger members of the squad. He's still got a few years left to develop too.
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 13:11 - Aug 5 with 5180 viewsfrancisbowles

Is there a key to understanding the statistics columns?

For example Yellow cards .5 per 90 minutes, 2 in total or 2% of what? I started off thinking he gets a yellow every second game but that doesn't seem to tally with whatever the 2 represents.
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 13:14 - Aug 5 with 5140 viewsHoopstar

Think he means Celar was bought to go straight into the side, along with Nardi. As opposed to Varane, Bennie, Santos and Morrison who are more likely to be eased in slowly.
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 13:40 - Aug 5 with 4937 viewssimmo

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 12:45 - Aug 5 by dmm

Celar is only 25 and among the younger members of the squad. He's still got a few years left to develop too.

Of course, but he's clearly been brought in to be our first choice striker and main goal scorer - Varane will almost certainly start in 3 midfield set ups, but Morrison, Santos, Bennie Dundee, etc are more for depth/rotation/future, it seems to me.

I'd like to see us add one more player to the 'start now' group, preferably an attacker/winger, even if that means a loan
[Post edited 5 Aug 13:43]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 14:02 - Aug 5 with 4755 viewsngbqpr

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 13:40 - Aug 5 by simmo

Of course, but he's clearly been brought in to be our first choice striker and main goal scorer - Varane will almost certainly start in 3 midfield set ups, but Morrison, Santos, Bennie Dundee, etc are more for depth/rotation/future, it seems to me.

I'd like to see us add one more player to the 'start now' group, preferably an attacker/winger, even if that means a loan

Suspect that might be a "who's available within budget" deadline day loan.

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 14:06 - Aug 5 with 4718 viewsderbyhoop

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 11:45 - Aug 5 by QPR_Jim

I do think it came down to wages. If rumours are to be believed Hayden was on, and would have expected to remain on big money for a Championship club. Add in Varane being 22 and Hayden 29, then it's a much better mid to long term bet.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 14:19 - Aug 5 with 4578 viewsdmm

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 13:40 - Aug 5 by simmo

Ah right, gotcha.

Bennie Dundee is a new one on me
[Post edited 5 Aug 14:20]
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 15:07 - Aug 5 with 4212 viewsBurnleyhoop

Agree with the EDB comparison from the clips seen on YT. Seems to me we have two purely defensive midfielders ( Field and Colback) with the former two having the ability to carry the ball and find a forward pass. As such we should be playing with one of each type unless we are looking to see a game out.

Also agree on the “scanning” comment. The best players in the world excel at this skill and it is often why they appear to have so much time on the ball as they know exactly what is going on around them.

As for replacing Willock, rumour has it we are sniffing around Josh Bowler after Forest are claimed to have sanctioned another loan move.
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 15:19 - Aug 5 with 4095 viewsstevec

This is looking quite a physical team now which I like the idea of.

Boro and Wednesday were setting a decent tone for this in second half of last season.
QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 15:50 - Aug 5 with 3899 viewsTheChef

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 15:19 - Aug 5 by stevec

This is looking quite a physical team now which I like the idea of.

Boro and Wednesday were setting a decent tone for this in second half of last season.

You'd expect after last season it became fairly clear to the manager that we needed a physically bigger/stronger team.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 16:50 - Aug 5 with 3627 viewsstevec

QPR bolster midfield with Varane capture – Signing on 15:50 - Aug 5 by TheChef

You'd expect after last season it became fairly clear to the manager that we needed a physically bigger/stronger team.

Indeed and been an ongoing problem.

Was interesting that it took a Spanish manager to spot this when a host of British managers failed to. As for our youth system, I assumed anything that looked like it might grow beyond six foot was banished from the premises.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024