Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Varane 10:05 - Aug 4 with 17405 viewsGaryHaddock

Signed

https://qpr.co.uk/news/2024/august/04/qpr-complete-signing-of-jonathan-varane/
[Post edited 4 Aug 10:06]
Varane on 14:35 - Aug 4 with 3754 viewsTonto

An awful lot of people seem to have gone from happy to losing their sh!t after losing to a premier league team 1 0...

Isn't this thread meant to be about Varane? Hardly anyone has a left a Comment on him...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: How was the transfer window for you?

Varane on 14:35 - Aug 4 with 3756 viewsconnell10

Varane on 13:55 - Aug 4 by lassel

Maybe I’ve missed something but was anyone expecting anything other than a lower bottom half finish this season??

Definitely this !!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Varane on 15:06 - Aug 4 with 3552 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Just watched a few clips on YouTube of him last season as I know nothing about him.
Looks very physical, happy driving forward with the ball and can pick a pass. I can see why he has been signed as he could transform our central midfield area.
I imagine he will be a direct replacement for Colback, sitting in front of the defence allowing Field to get forward more.
Varane on 15:08 - Aug 4 with 3544 viewsdavman

Varane on 12:40 - Aug 4 by gazza1

Numbers may be down but i think that quality is up a lot....the players that have gone may have played quite frequently but their performances were pretty average.

Not digging you out, gazza, but I am really confused how people know the quality of these incoming signings. I have never seen them, so have absolutely no idea whether they are any good.

Also, the signs are that all of the new signings bar Nardi are bench warmers. So the first team has been weakened going forward as it'll be Smyth for Willock. With Chair set to be out, yes I am panicking as going forward we really look worse than last season and we were awful in the main.

16th looking really good right now.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Varane on 15:13 - Aug 4 with 3472 viewsJamieNaz

WLS saying 875k
https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-qpr-varane-confirmed-was-fee-update

Seems cheap
Varane on 15:30 - Aug 4 with 3345 viewsDavieQPR

Varane on 15:08 - Aug 4 by davman

Not digging you out, gazza, but I am really confused how people know the quality of these incoming signings. I have never seen them, so have absolutely no idea whether they are any good.

Also, the signs are that all of the new signings bar Nardi are bench warmers. So the first team has been weakened going forward as it'll be Smyth for Willock. With Chair set to be out, yes I am panicking as going forward we really look worse than last season and we were awful in the main.

Have you even got a glass to be half empty?
Varane on 16:02 - Aug 4 with 3216 viewsQPR_Pro_Max

Varane on 15:06 - Aug 4 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Just watched a few clips on YouTube of him last season as I know nothing about him.
Looks very physical, happy driving forward with the ball and can pick a pass. I can see why he has been signed as he could transform our central midfield area.
I imagine he will be a direct replacement for Colback, sitting in front of the defence allowing Field to get forward more.

Instead, let Varane charges forward while Field sits back doing his shielding job. Beale tried playing Field in a more advanced attacking position and Field was very uncomfortable going forward.
Varane on 16:26 - Aug 4 with 3049 viewsDorse

Varane on 15:13 - Aug 4 by JamieNaz

WLS saying 875k
https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-qpr-varane-confirmed-was-fee-update

Seems cheap

If we've managed to actually buy a player, using real money, without getting our pants pulled down, I count it as genuine progress for QPR.

Numbers quoted previously were north of £1m, so maybe there are add-ons we don't know about.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Login to get fewer ads

Varane on 16:43 - Aug 4 with 2945 viewsbosh67

Varane on 16:02 - Aug 4 by QPR_Pro_Max

Instead, let Varane charges forward while Field sits back doing his shielding job. Beale tried playing Field in a more advanced attacking position and Field was very uncomfortable going forward.

Varane is a deep sitting MF. Not sure he's too comfortable either going further up the pitch.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Varane on 16:44 - Aug 4 with 2914 viewsstevec

Progress. I’m convinced we’ve got a side that can get within 35 yards of the opposition goal now.
Varane on 16:57 - Aug 4 with 2837 viewsmart_Goblin

Varane on 15:06 - Aug 4 by Wilkinswatercarrier

I said on another thread that Colback’s body language has been strange at best this pre season and possibly bordering on really poor at times. Like a player who still thinks he can play in the Premier League but deep down knows his legs have gone .
But of course, the players are fully aware of who is coming in and he’ll know that he will be the one to make way so perhaps understandable if a little unprofessional.
Varane seems to be much more athletic, stronger and hopefully quicker across the grass but time will tell. With hopefully a slightly better attitude too as I think Colbacks is questionable at times.
Varane on 17:57 - Aug 4 with 2600 viewsRangersw12

Still find it strange that there are no quotes from the manger whenever we get a new signing nowadays
Varane on 18:21 - Aug 4 with 2474 viewsPdog

He gets what he's given, now get to work Marti :)
Varane on 18:30 - Aug 4 with 2428 viewsgazza1

Varane on 15:08 - Aug 4 by davman

No issues Davman........what I can say is that I know very little about the new guys but I know a lot about the players that have gone and they will not be missed at all so I am assuming that MC thinks the same.

Not sure why you think that we are weaker going forward, (We have lost Armstrong who was pretty average but quick, Willock was very average last season and then you have Kelman, enough said!!!).

As for these new guys being 'bench warmers'....I do not think that we are in a position to sign players, within reason, who are not in with a 'big shout' to get immediately into the team once fit & ready. We may get a loanee on loan to play a attacking part for the Team.

Re 16th position....most bookies recon we are evens to get into the top half of the table.
[Post edited 4 Aug 18:32]
Varane on 18:41 - Aug 4 with 2332 viewsmart_Goblin

Varane on 18:30 - Aug 4 by gazza1

No issues Davman........what I can say is that I know very little about the new guys but I know a lot about the players that have gone and they will not be missed at all so I am assuming that MC thinks the same.

Not sure why you think that we are weaker going forward, (We have lost Armstrong who was pretty average but quick, Willock was very average last season and then you have Kelman, enough said!!!).

As for these new guys being 'bench warmers'....I do not think that we are in a position to sign players, within reason, who are not in with a 'big shout' to get immediately into the team once fit & ready. We may get a loanee on loan to play a attacking part for the Team.

Re 16th position....most bookies recon we are evens to get into the top half of the table.
[Post edited 4 Aug 18:32]

I agree for the most part.
Only thing I would add is that whilst most were disappointed in the main with Willock, including me, he helped knit how we played together with Chair and Anderson of course. Not always, but we had cohesion and a pattern of play that we could all see.
That’s what’s missing at the moment . We miss Willock linking with others around him and bringing people into play further up the pitch . Smyth doesn’t do this anywhere near as well, and although has other attributes can’t keep the ball close and tight to his body whilst moving into dangerous areas . At times I didn’t think he stepped up but he did give us fluidity in our attacking play which , at the moment we are lacking, as well of course Chair who I think we take for granted .
We will replace Willock snd we will get that cohesion in the coming weeks but it might take a little while until we do .
Varane on 18:48 - Aug 4 with 2297 viewsaston_hoop

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Varane on 19:22 - Aug 4 with 2104 viewsDamo1962

Maybe I’ve missed something but was anyone expecting anything other than a lower bottom half finish this season??

I just hope we can stay out of the bottom six this season. Anything better than that will be good progress We aren't suddenly going to start scoring loads of goals... we will have to be patient. New faces, new era hopefully.
Varane on 19:39 - Aug 4 with 2021 viewsdaveB

Varane on 14:16 - Aug 4 by TK1

It looks stronger than it did a year ago on August 4, though.
Joe Gubbins, Charlie Kelman and Ossie Kakay aren't about to start at Watford tomorrow, for example.

The squad is significantly stronger than it was at the start of last season. It will look much stronger still when the window closes. All those players that you mention other than Willock and arguably Hodge and Larkeshe have been replaced. All will be replaced. And then there'll be other players, too, as always. Nobody can convince me the squad is weaker for not having Begovic, Kakay, Drewe and Dozzell available for calamity. I think Willock and Armstrong will be missed - but we'll get more attackers.

It's QPR. More players are always guaranteed.

Stronger than a year ago weaker than it was in May though is what i meant

No doubt we'll sign more and the squad will look different but just speaking of how the squad looks today

I'm not sure any of these players have been replaced, players we've signed for the first team are Cellar, Nardi and Varane all a bit unknown if they are better than who they replaced, the rest are all players for the development squad replacing Drewe, Duke-Mckenna etc
Varane on 19:41 - Aug 4 with 2000 viewsdaveB

I'm not sure what people expect really but feeling at the end of last season was we should be excited and be pushing for top half playoffs, I can't see that happening with the team we have today
Varane on 19:47 - Aug 4 with 1962 viewsessextaxiboy

Actually I am ,
This manager had us on 1.5 points per game over all of his games last season , having to pick up a squad and fan base that were on the floor and going down .
Pro rata that would get us to 69 points , not quite enough for top 6 maybe but right up there nontheless.
We have added quality to the squad including the striker we all wanted and replaced the goalkeeper . So far (fingers crossed) we have kept the 2 best players Chair and JCS .
A bottom half finish would mean that result have declined from the high bar this manager has set .. I just dont see it
Varane on 19:49 - Aug 4 with 1955 viewsMalintabuk

Varane on 16:44 - Aug 4 by stevec

Progress. I’m convinced we’ve got a side that can get within 35 yards of the opposition goal now.

Misread that Steve thought you said that we would hopefully get 35 goals this season
Varane on 20:00 - Aug 4 with 1875 viewsdavman

Varane on 15:30 - Aug 4 by DavieQPR

Have you even got a glass to be half empty?

I've said that about myself on here plenty of times.

Maybe the optimistic thought is around the GK and defence. Nardi looks an upgrade on the old flapper we had last year and the CB's still look great even if JCS struggled when he had no options in front of him on Saturday.

When Chair is back and we get creativity and or more pace back, things may look up, but until then, sorry, but I am worried...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Varane on 20:04 - Aug 4 with 1837 viewshoops_legend

Varane on 12:27 - Aug 4 by gazza1

They may have had Championship experience but they were not good enough....Bergovic (really poor), Kakay (to an extend imo), Willock (didn't want to be here nor was he much good last season) & Armstrong (sorry but he is not good enough either).....so all good business saving the club monies.

Agreed the new boys do not have Championship experience but we cannot afford good players with that experience.

All good for me but we will seer.

Armstrong will make a great league one or two striker soon. He can bully poor defenders

If defenders are up to it - he gets found out immediately as he’s not great on ball and poor finishing

Btw that’s coming from someone who likes him

Poll: Would you rather win league cup or survive?

Varane on 20:05 - Aug 4 with 1826 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Why has thread has descended into a debate on QPR's transfer dealings to date? There is a transfers thread for that.

As this is the Varane thread, I'd like to take this opportunity to say, Welcome Jonathon. Best of luck to you, young man.
Varane on 20:10 - Aug 4 with 1776 viewsGaryHaddock

Varane on 19:47 - Aug 4 by essextaxiboy

Actually I am ,
This manager had us on 1.5 points per game over all of his games last season , having to pick up a squad and fan base that were on the floor and going down .
Pro rata that would get us to 69 points , not quite enough for top 6 maybe but right up there nontheless.
We have added quality to the squad including the striker we all wanted and replaced the goalkeeper . So far (fingers crossed) we have kept the 2 best players Chair and JCS .
A bottom half finish would mean that result have declined from the high bar this manager has set .. I just dont see it

Same.

Top half form under Marti so far, plus a few players he’s wanted / agreed to SHOULD mean more of the same I’d hope.

Appreciate that isn’t how the Championship works though.
[Post edited 4 Aug 20:14]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024