Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles 20:29 - Aug 2 with 3864 viewsBklynRanger

I've been saving this subject for a premium moment like a hot Friday night such as this... so what's the reason for all plastic bottle tops now being stuck to the side of the twistable seal thing, to the extent that one has to move it out of the way before thirstily indulging in one's chosen beverage, or else break it off with extreme force?

Is it to make sure all the plastic gets recycled together and the tops don't get missed? Or is it a design feature that they all decided is a good idea, or something else I haven't thought of?

Any insight appreciated.
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 10:34 - Aug 3 with 938 viewsDavieQPR

The vast majority of Councils do not have the facilities to recycle small bottle caps. From the very few that do the cap must be separated from the bottle due to the fact they are a different resin and have a hard to remove seal .So now they have made it more labour intensive even this will stop. Another rule down to 'it seemed a good idea at the time'.
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 11:02 - Aug 3 with 909 viewsBklynRanger

Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 10:34 - Aug 3 by DavieQPR

The vast majority of Councils do not have the facilities to recycle small bottle caps. From the very few that do the cap must be separated from the bottle due to the fact they are a different resin and have a hard to remove seal .So now they have made it more labour intensive even this will stop. Another rule down to 'it seemed a good idea at the time'.

I actually did wonder if the two different types of plastic would be a problem
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 11:15 - Aug 3 with 873 viewsGloryHunter

We shouldn't be using plastic bottles anyway. Microplastic particles are everywhere, even in our bodies.
We should be collecting our draft beer from pubs in earthenware jugs, and drinking tap water, like in the good old days.
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 11:29 - Aug 3 with 848 viewskomradkirk

At the Vetchfield Swansea i was acting the good guy and asking the heavies if i was okay taking a plastic bottle in with me . He said no problem most people have glass bottles inside
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 11:34 - Aug 3 with 843 viewsRanger_Things

I think that may be a myth. Obviously check with your council but that isn’t true for mine. They ask us to squash the air out of the bottle and reattach the lid.

EDIT:
Taken from: https://www.recyclingbins.co.uk/blogs/education-tips/recycling-plastic-bottles-d

Lids and bottles are separated with ease at recycling plants

Do you take the cap off your plastic bottles because you think that it will make it easier for it to be recycled once it reaches the recycling plant? Well you can start leaving the lids on because it’s not true.

The plastic bottles, complete with lids, are ground up and put through a water bath. As the lids are usually made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE) and polypropylene (PP), they tend to float, whereas the plastic bottles, made from PET, are heavier and they will sink. This makes it easy for the different types of material to be separated so they can be recovered and turned into new items.

Recycling Plastic Bottle Lids

The trouble with plastic lids

Sadly, many people assume that the lids can’t be recycled, and they throw them in with their general waste. This can often mean that they end up in landfill, or even worse, in our oceans and on our beaches, where they can do untold damage. Plastic bottle lids are one of the most common items of litter found on beaches. Plastic takes many years to degrade, if indeed it does at all, and in the meantime, bottle lids and caps can become choking hazards for wildlife, especially fish and birds.
[Post edited 3 Aug 11:50]
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 11:41 - Aug 3 with 832 viewsderbyhoop

It's an EU directive to reduce plastic waste in the environment. Mandatory for member states but manufacturers in UK, where it is not mandatory, are not going to run separate production lines for a smaller market.
It really isn't a big deal.
[Post edited 3 Aug 21:52]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 11:58 - Aug 3 with 783 viewswelwynranger

Take a bradawl and a straw
Make a hole in the top with the bradawl insert the straw.
Problem solved
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 12:09 - Aug 3 with 761 viewsPindarus

I wish someone would instruct me how to open a tin of baked beans without damaging several fingers and smearing everything in sight with beans and getting the memsahib in a strop.
Login to get fewer ads

Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 12:32 - Aug 3 with 710 viewsQuillPenRiot

Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 22:45 - Aug 2 by A40Bosh

Yes, it is an eu directive and I investigated this a month ago or so after arriving in to work with a splash of Huel protein drink ended up on my work shirt when I arrived in the office. My shaking it up pushed a load of the thick liquid into the lid area and when you tilt your neck back to get those last few dregs to get value for money the lid contents empty on to your shirt.

I now give great tongue to the lid before slurping the contents!

Maybe they can design out lids altogether by making a plastic sphincter (biodegradable of course)
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 13:25 - Aug 3 with 642 viewsGroveR

Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 11:58 - Aug 3 by welwynranger

Take a bradawl and a straw
Make a hole in the top with the bradawl insert the straw.
Problem solved

Bradawl? Fùcking bradawl? It's a shiv and you know it is. Get into the sea and take your technical jargon with you.
[Post edited 3 Aug 13:25]
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 14:21 - Aug 3 with 573 viewsStJude82

More "Green" mind games I would imagine.
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 20:08 - Aug 3 with 456 viewsstinkydad

If I could also add a related issue - what's with the vacuum packed minced beef now? I understand the reasons for it but it's a bugger to separate and I end up with big lumps of beef in my spag. bol./lasagne/cottage pie, etc..
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 21:32 - Aug 3 with 412 viewsRanger_Things

Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 20:08 - Aug 3 by stinkydad

If I could also add a related issue - what's with the vacuum packed minced beef now? I understand the reasons for it but it's a bugger to separate and I end up with big lumps of beef in my spag. bol./lasagne/cottage pie, etc..

Smaller packaging, more product per lorry, cheaper transport costs, more profit.
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 22:44 - Aug 3 with 376 viewsHayesender

I still haven't mastered the art of peeling off the bit of the packet of bacon that says peel here. Now I have to contend with this.

Whatever next 🙄

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 23:15 - Aug 3 with 348 viewsMatch82

Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 21:53 - Aug 2 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Yep, that simple. Did anyone notice that on your plastic milk carton the handle is now in the corner?
Reason?
To reduce plastic. By having the handle in the corner, rather than one of the sides, the plastic required to make the bottle can be reduced. Clever.
[Post edited 2 Aug 21:53]

Suspect it's also a logistical reason (assuming we are talking about the same thing as in the US). Square/rectangular containers stack better and leave less gaps when packed and moved in crates which is more efficient from a freight perspective
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 01:30 - Aug 4 with 323 viewsCiderwithRsie

This is bollocks.

Most recycling facilities used not to be able to recycle caps, and you were often told to remove them and throw them out. (incidentally, this is rarely done by councils; they merely collect them and use commercial operators to do the actual recycling.)

Now they virtually always do, but if the caps are taken off they tend to be hard to pick up due to there small size. This is why you are now encouraged to re-place the cap, hence the move to having them attached.

It's a rule change down to keeping up with advances in technology and practice, which is one of the things you have to do with rules.
Plastic bottle tops stuck to plastic bottles on 01:44 - Aug 4 with 313 viewsFredManRave

Do plastic football fans get recycled?

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024