Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next England Manager 09:44 - Jul 15 with 12551 viewswombat

not much choice out there for an englsih manager to come in.

Eddie Howe
gary oneil

cant think of anyone else

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Next England Manager on 13:33 - Jul 15 with 2012 viewsDavieQPR

Sorry but this has got Lampard or Gerrard stamped all over it.
Next England Manager on 13:40 - Jul 15 with 1964 viewsrobith

Saw a little clip on socials of someone interviewing fans after the game and a young lad went "I'm sick of this defensive football. Get Jose, end of"

Made me chuckle

Next England Manager on 13:41 - Jul 15 with 1960 viewsSydneyRs

Next England Manager on 10:03 - Jul 15 by Pdog

A manager with that positive mentality yes, of the English candidates out there possibly only Howe fits this this whilst also having a decent level of experience, nobody else jumping out.

Having a Klopp, Mourinho, Tuchel etc. would just feel weird for some reason, like we're trying to buy our way out. Likewise why would they even want it, when they're most likely in line for their own country national team job.

As for De La Fuente i would say he has zero interest in managing England, and why should he.

We're complaining about negative tactics and Mr park the bus is in the conversation 😄.

Of those only Klopp is one I'd like to see. We know he promotes fast paced attacking football. He managed very successfully in England for years and would have had more than one title but for City's money tree (which they may have been cheating with).

I don't think you can compare him with Capello, who was a completely different type of person and had never managed in England.
Next England Manager on 13:45 - Jul 15 with 1933 viewsR_from_afar

"Ooh, ooh, me, me, I'm available and I'm triffic!"

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Next England Manager on 14:22 - Jul 15 with 1838 viewsSimonJames

Next England Manager on 10:01 - Jul 15 by PlanetHonneywood

This Barrywhomresidesintheloft, the cacophony of noise on here and everywhere else,is frequently saying the same thing.

I think he's done a great job, given it was a mess when he took over. However, he ought to have gone after Qatar. He's given us a great run, got us close, but when it comes down to the business end, he comes up short. For me, ive said for ages: he really would be more suited to be running the FA, and go with our thanks.

As for who next: I'm just not au fait enough these days. Pep sounds like he's in his last year at City, would you sound him out? But who ever it is, they need to have skin as thick as a rhino given the media mauling that can be expected, and have a bit of boldness so that we do give it a go.

Pep is on £20 millon per year. Why would he take a £5 million job (even if it is part time), that wasn't his own country?

100% of people who drink water will die.

Next England Manager on 14:29 - Jul 15 with 1799 viewsAndybrat

Steve Cooper won with Under 21s ? So he knows the current crop, seems a logical fit. Or my memory is playing games with me
Next England Manager on 14:32 - Jul 15 with 1790 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Next England Manager on 09:59 - Jul 15 by rbee

I think it's more of a question of who would want the England job?

Long gone are the days when this was the dream job for any English manager, the likes of Don Revie leaving a club at the top of the First Division.

I thought Eddie Howe ruled himself out a long time ago?

Oh come on now rbee stop joking around you know its one of the top jobs in World football.
Look beyond that starting 11 players to the bench and squad plus the players he left at home and England have talent to dominated for the next decade and beyond .
Not to even mention the chance to win the WC in America /Canada/Mexico and forever be a legend in England its too good to pass up IMO.
Of course there is intense pressure from media and fans but dont be shocked if some big names line up if Southgate bails .
Next England Manager on 14:35 - Jul 15 with 1779 viewsted_hendrix

Better the devil you know IMO.

We went very close again to winning a tournament under Southgate, so on the assumption that you learn by your mistakes I'd keep things as they are.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Next England Manager on 14:38 - Jul 15 with 1747 viewsdaveB

Next England Manager on 14:29 - Jul 15 by Andybrat

Steve Cooper won with Under 21s ? So he knows the current crop, seems a logical fit. Or my memory is playing games with me

He won with under 19's I think, just took the Leicester job
Next England Manager on 14:44 - Jul 15 with 1729 viewssprocket

Lads...A new manager is needed and rambling that you could keep Southgate on is pure madness but would not put that madness beyond the FA.

It's clear as day Southgate's tactics were strangling the life out of the squad. At no point in the knockout stages were England ahead bar the last 5 minutes against Netherlands and given the standard of the teams played that is unforgiveable.

What would Venables have done with that squad? Why was Kane played the way he was or played at all ? Why was Palmer only played as a sub? Why did Eze, Gordon, Toney etc.. only get a few minutes.

Would Klopp take it? proably not. Perhaps someone like Carsley or Howe but surely someone who would have a go.
Next England Manager on 14:45 - Jul 15 with 1725 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Next England Manager on 14:35 - Jul 15 by ted_hendrix

We went very close again to winning a tournament under Southgate, so on the assumption that you learn by your mistakes I'd keep things as they are.

That was the same assumption made after WC 2018, Euro 2000, and WC 2022. Southgate has taken England as far as he can, it's time for a change.
Next England Manager on 16:01 - Jul 15 with 1633 viewsPunteR

What are the odds Southgate getting us to another final? pretty slim i'd guess.
He's done a great job up to now, but i think he's gone as far as he can. I'm not sure another couple of years with the media and fans on his case will be that productive.
I'm gutted for him we didn't win last night as he's been a stand up guy and took loads of flak but kept professional throughout. I like him. If he stay's on it wouldn't really bother me either tbh. Not like i watch them every week.
I'd prefer an English manager, as i feel that's what international football should be about.
Eddie Howe or Gary o Neil are my two choices.
Lampard, Rooney and Gerrard seem to be ego driven and not my choice. Lampard will have the Redknapp's in his ear, or worse , gets that bell end John Terry alongside him. Gerrard would probably get Beale back as a number 2 and Rooney hasnt done anything of note as a manager.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Next England Manager on 16:13 - Jul 15 with 1607 viewsPdog

Potter seems to be the bookies favorite as i doubt they'll go down the foreign root. He did have good pedigree from time at Brighton, somewhat tarnished by time at Chelsea.

Dyche probably too negative.

Howe has a decent job i doubt will give up and stock may still be high enough the next time around the job is available.

Probably too soon for O'Neil likewise Carrick or Robins with no top level experience, then we're really scraping the barrel :)
[Post edited 15 Jul 16:14]
Next England Manager on 16:42 - Jul 15 with 1534 viewskernowhoop

Next England Manager on 13:33 - Jul 15 by TheChef

How old are you?

Very
Next England Manager on 17:24 - Jul 15 with 1482 viewsMedwayR

Howe is the standout candidate for me. I think he has all of Southgate's strengths (good man manager, deals with the media well, works well with young players etc) but has some tactical nous whilst playing good football, more than happy to shithouse too when required. His coach Graham Jones has worked with England too which would help.

I think Ancelotti could be a good fit but would only be a short term appointment.

Potter would be ok but I don't think he's proven enough at the top level yet.

Poll: Who’s better?

Next England Manager on 17:59 - Jul 15 with 1423 viewsTripper

I can see Lee Carsley getting it. Worked with a lot of the players before and the U21’s played a more attractive brand of football.
Next England Manager on 18:04 - Jul 15 with 1411 viewsHayesender

Potter has turned down a few jobs in the last year, so I'm wondering if he's been told to hold fire by the FA?

He'd be the perfect fit for the FA blazers

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Next England Manager on 18:06 - Jul 15 with 1410 viewsNorthernr

Bielsa
Next England Manager on 18:20 - Jul 15 with 1379 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Next England Manager on 13:40 - Jul 15 by robith

Saw a little clip on socials of someone interviewing fans after the game and a young lad went "I'm sick of this defensive football. Get Jose, end of"

Made me chuckle

In the same theme, seen a few ‘pay Pep whatever he wants’ too.
Next England Manager on 19:27 - Jul 15 with 1311 viewsMedwayR

Next England Manager on 18:20 - Jul 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

In the same theme, seen a few ‘pay Pep whatever he wants’ too.

Pep is a proper hands on coach who prioritises time drilling his teams on the training pitch. He wouldn't get that time in international football so I'm not sure it would play to his strengths or necessarily suit him.

Poll: Who’s better?

Next England Manager on 19:45 - Jul 15 with 1270 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Next England Manager on 14:22 - Jul 15 by SimonJames

Pep is on £20 millon per year. Why would he take a £5 million job (even if it is part time), that wasn't his own country?

On the money front, clearly he's not short of cash so I suspect money might not be his primary motivation. £5m is, as has been commented, wages for a part-time job, not a full-time one and given he has already enjoyed a sabbatical, I wonder he might prefer to move into the working pattern of an international manager. Further, if the FA were prepared to pay GS £5m, then I am sure they could go higher for Pep.

In relation to why would he manage a foreign side: Well, his last two managerial jobs since 2013 have been outside Spain, and plenty of managers manage foreign teams, and I don't think the Spain job is going to become vacant anytime soon!

Plus, I suspect he will, at some stage, see it as a natural progression for his undoubted skill set. I would be surprised if he didn't myself, and I also don't think he's going to be one of these blokes that looks to manage into his 70s, so now, might be the time for him.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Next England Manager on 20:28 - Jul 15 with 1242 viewsrbee

Next England Manager on 14:32 - Jul 15 by CLAREMAN1995

Oh come on now rbee stop joking around you know its one of the top jobs in World football.
Look beyond that starting 11 players to the bench and squad plus the players he left at home and England have talent to dominated for the next decade and beyond .
Not to even mention the chance to win the WC in America /Canada/Mexico and forever be a legend in England its too good to pass up IMO.
Of course there is intense pressure from media and fans but dont be shocked if some big names line up if Southgate bails .

There will be plenty of applicants for the job or course but as I eluded to in my post how many TOP or ELITE managers would want the job?

Very few if any in my opinion which is why Frank Lampard's name is being mentioned.

I wonder who Frank would appoint as his Number Two? Triffic.
Next England Manager on 20:49 - Jul 15 with 1215 viewslassel

It’ll be whoever the FA see as a corporate man.

Probably Carsley, Potter would probably be acceptable to the FA but would he really want the job?
Next England Manager on 21:36 - Jul 15 with 1154 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Next England Manager on 20:49 - Jul 15 by lassel

It’ll be whoever the FA see as a corporate man.

Probably Carsley, Potter would probably be acceptable to the FA but would he really want the job?

Sadly, that's a truism that's plagued England for decades. Back when the role of England manager was highly coveted, the FA would avoid standout candidates. Even though it's no longer held in such high esteem, the FA still place great emphasis on a corporate man.
[Post edited 15 Jul 21:37]
Next England Manager on 00:45 - Jul 16 with 1046 viewsSydneyRs

Next England Manager on 14:35 - Jul 15 by ted_hendrix

We went closer to being knocked out by Slovakia, and it would have been deserved. I also see no progression from when we tossed away the last Euros v Italy. Still conservative, still tactically out thought by opponents. Although we got further than in the world cup, we played much better there.

Its time for change. GS looked exhausted and frankly over it this time. Time to thank him for a largely great job and move on to someone who can get the best out of these players. Yes we made a final, but the majority of performances were poor and not acceptable for a squad this talented.
[Post edited 16 Jul 0:48]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024