Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
gareth southgate.... 22:08 - Jul 10 with 6366 viewsqpr_1968

we are in the final....what do we know.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

gareth southgate.... on 23:54 - Jul 14 with 895 viewsGus_iom

gareth southgate.... on 23:35 - Jul 14 by paulparker

He needs to walk away now
We have had some good times but he got it wrong again imo tonight

He got to tonight because of the quality of his players - special goals, rather then through the quality of his management. We bored people with a team with the like of Bellingham, Foden, Saka In it. You improved the culture to no end, for which we thank you for, but at the end of the day you're still the bloke who was going to get Middlesborough relegated..
gareth southgate.... on 23:57 - Jul 14 with 881 viewsrbee

gareth southgate.... on 23:53 - Jul 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

Southgate’s biggest fan here, but I think the freshness he brought in last two tournaments is now stale.

May eat my words when we go out in 2026 to Birkina Faso but I think a new manager will bring fresh enthusiasm.

Many of our players were either knackered or out of form but Gareth persisted with some of them.

Spain knew our starting line up and tactics three weeks ago. We could have started on the front foot tonight with a change or two in the starting line up.
gareth southgate.... on 23:57 - Jul 14 with 870 viewsqpr_1968

gareth southgate.... on 23:35 - Jul 14 by paulparker

He needs to walk away now
We have had some good times but he got it wrong again imo tonight

listen, you dont sound like a fan of his, i was'nt a month ago.
but he got us into a final...again....how? i don't know.
its his football i dont like, but it made my wet summer a bit more enjoyable, a bit like gareth ainsworth, except england were winning every game.
if i had the answer to replace him, i would, but i'm asking you for advice....who would you like in charge .....tomorrow.

sorry to put you on the spot mate.

gareth southgate.... on 00:07 - Jul 15 with 815 viewsGus_iom

gareth southgate.... on 23:57 - Jul 14 by qpr_1968

listen, you dont sound like a fan of his, i was'nt a month ago.
but he got us into a final...again....how? i don't know.
its his football i dont like, but it made my wet summer a bit more enjoyable, a bit like gareth ainsworth, except england were winning every game.
if i had the answer to replace him, i would, but i'm asking you for advice....who would you like in charge .....tomorrow.

sorry to put you on the spot mate.

Tbh, any decent manager who knew his business. We reminded me a bit of QPR under beale, where our goals scored hugely exceeded our xg. The quality of player got us to the final, not tue quality of the manager
gareth southgate.... on 00:10 - Jul 15 with 802 viewsqpr_1968

gareth southgate.... on 00:07 - Jul 15 by Gus_iom

Tbh, any decent manager who knew his business. We reminded me a bit of QPR under beale, where our goals scored hugely exceeded our xg. The quality of player got us to the final, not tue quality of the manager

could'nt understand a word of that, but i know you meant well.
have a good night son.

gareth southgate.... on 00:23 - Jul 15 with 759 viewsGus_iom

gareth southgate.... on 00:10 - Jul 15 by qpr_1968

could'nt understand a word of that, but i know you meant well.
have a good night son.

It's not complicated.
gareth southgate.... on 00:27 - Jul 15 with 730 viewsqpr_1968

gareth southgate.... on 00:23 - Jul 15 by Gus_iom

It's not complicated.

it is if you've been on the lash all day.

gareth southgate.... on 00:28 - Jul 15 with 722 viewsGus_iom

gareth southgate.... on 00:27 - Jul 15 by qpr_1968

it is if you've been on the lash all day.

I'll give you that, my post took a minute to write and 5 minutes to clean up!
Login to get fewer ads

gareth southgate.... on 00:30 - Jul 15 with 704 viewsqpr_1968

gareth southgate.... on 00:28 - Jul 15 by Gus_iom

I'll give you that, my post took a minute to write and 5 minutes to clean up!

i read it before you cleaned it up.

gareth southgate.... on 02:20 - Jul 15 with 599 viewsSydneyRs

gareth southgate.... on 00:07 - Jul 15 by Gus_iom

Agree. We should have gone out v Slovakia and went behind in every knockout game.

Positives, some superb talent available and some of the best still very young. Cole Palmer even has me liking a Chelsea player ffs. Manioo, Bellingham only just 21 (and I'm certain was not fully fit in this tournament), Guehi coming in and looking like he'd been doing it for years. The likes of Gordon, Toney and Watkins and others all coming through.

Also the mentality was great and shown in our ability to come from behind to win 3 knockout games. This has been missing in the past, the players genuinely believe in themselves. The coolness of the penalty shootout win. Even the celebrations when Palmer equalised were not OTT, calm and professional. Shame we didn't go on with it.

The tools are there to win something, but getting to finals is hard even when playing well, so losing two does hurt.

Negatives, how leggy Kane has looked for the last 3 tournaments, us coming into the tournament still experimenting and not having a playing style (firmly on Southgate) and an inability to dominate games other than briefly.

We are about a decade into the set up of St Georges Park etc and the results are plain to see in terms of player quality. Now we need coaching to match that quality.

Southgate has largely been excellent, but he is not the person to get the best out of these players. His DNA is to be cautious and he's never going to change. He has so many positives and is just a top all round person, but the time has come to allow someone with more tactical nous to bring this squad forward.

Overall we lost to a better team and it was not entirely unexpected. Throwing away the opportunity last time v Italy hurt far more.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2:21]
gareth southgate.... on 09:35 - Jul 15 with 365 viewsParkRoyalR

Notwithstanding Spain were a level above all other the park,

I previously thought Southgate had his first decent game in Semi due to early introduction of Shaw to try to win the game and bringing Konza on to see the game out,

Subsequently it seems Trippier was carrying a knock and it was Steve Holland who was calm and rational in injury time and dictated the late substitutions,

An XG of less than 1 Goal per Game across 7 games, especially in that group with that squad and the failure to give Palmer more game time is probably most damning of Southgates ability as a Manager.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024