Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The really best bit about the UK Election 09:22 - Jul 5 with 4157 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I watched with our cat until a few hours ago, and leaving the result out of it, I was immensely proud of the UK!

Just look at how the transition of power took place. Seemless, without rancor or violence. The speaches of Mourdant and Buckland were exceptional given their results, thought Hunt was interesting too; albeit a case of: why weren't you doing this in power?

And plenty of departing Tories congratulated and wished their victors the best.

Compare that with the US in 2020, and what might happen in France next week and the US soon. As Mrs PH just said to me: Last night said a lot about the UK, a lot other countries should note and admire.

Exhausted now, Girona gone for a burton, as I'll be taking naps all day.

However, with great power comes great responsibility for Labour. They certainly made the right noises on the night - so fingers crossed they not only do a good job, but also attract back lost voters to Farage. And let's be honest: Reform split the Tories, and handed Labour the win but now the big issue for the Tories is what party do they want to be? Lurch to the right to suck up to Farage or repel him and learn the lesson of last night about being out of touch.

We'll get an idea when we see who they elect to replace Sunak.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

The really best bit about the UK Election on 15:48 - Jul 5 with 614 viewsKonk

The really best bit about the UK Election on 15:37 - Jul 5 by R_from_afar

"Net Zero will be on page 1 of "things to do" with energy bills getting higher".

In the middle of all the election coverage, an economist - not a politician or an environmental campaigner - was discussing what was likely to happen to inflation.

They predicted a rise soon because competition to get hold of liquified natural gas is increasing globally.

The UK's gas reserves will eventually run out so we need to build on what has already been quite decent progress with renewables. Nuclear has a role to play but historically, the cost of nuclear energy only ever goes up, new power stations take decades to build, and, ironically, a warming climate and changing rainfall patterns mean we are now seeing challenges when it comes to getting enough, sufficiently cold, water to cool nuclear power stations. Sizewell C is going ahead even though an adequate supply of fresh water for cooling has not yet been identified.

Net zero is not just about the environment, it is also a resilience and energy independence issue. If it can be achieved, we won't need to worry about gas or oil imports being delayed. Energy storage is getting much more powerful, for example, the planned Coire Glas hydro scheme in Scotland is expected to be able to power 3m homes for 24 hours.

The energy independence thing is the one bit that I have never understood about opposition to renewables. Even if you think that climate change is made-up/drone on about dinosaurs and Romans planting grapes in Carlisle, surely every, go it alone, patriotic Briton, would love to see a time when we weren't at the mercy of the Middle-East, Russia etc when it came to our economy? But no, they seem weirdly wedded to oil and gas, and completely resistance to establishing an independent, domestic supply of energy. Strange.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

The really best bit about the UK Election on 15:50 - Jul 5 with 594 viewsTheChef

The really best bit about the UK Election on 15:48 - Jul 5 by Konk

The energy independence thing is the one bit that I have never understood about opposition to renewables. Even if you think that climate change is made-up/drone on about dinosaurs and Romans planting grapes in Carlisle, surely every, go it alone, patriotic Briton, would love to see a time when we weren't at the mercy of the Middle-East, Russia etc when it came to our economy? But no, they seem weirdly wedded to oil and gas, and completely resistance to establishing an independent, domestic supply of energy. Strange.

You'd think even in the UK solar and wind power would be an easy renewable source of energy we can benefit from more.

Funny old world innit.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The really best bit about the UK Election on 16:06 - Jul 5 with 550 viewsloftboy

The really best bit about the UK Election on 15:50 - Jul 5 by TheChef

You'd think even in the UK solar and wind power would be an easy renewable source of energy we can benefit from more.

Funny old world innit.

I’ve ever understood why we haven’t harnessed hydro power seeing as we are surrounded by the stuff!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The really best bit about the UK Election on 16:07 - Jul 5 with 544 viewskensalriser

The really best bit about the UK Election on 15:48 - Jul 5 by Konk

Not that strange. It's all about where you get your information. The fossil fuel industry is very active in spreading its message and in a post-truth world there are many gullible ears to listen.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The really best bit about the UK Election on 16:08 - Jul 5 with 536 viewsTheChef

The really best bit about the UK Election on 16:07 - Jul 5 by kensalriser

Not that strange. It's all about where you get your information. The fossil fuel industry is very active in spreading its message and in a post-truth world there are many gullible ears to listen.

Was there a pre-truth world?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The really best bit about the UK Election on 16:09 - Jul 5 with 529 viewsloftboy

The really best bit about the UK Election on 16:07 - Jul 5 by kensalriser

Where I deliver in east Anglia there are protests against sizewell C, Wind farms and solar farms.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The really best bit about the UK Election on 16:20 - Jul 5 with 452 viewsNorthernr

Existing thread guys, and this one has veered quickly away from what it was started for.

General Election Thread by loftboy 22 May 17:46
This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024