Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread 23:58 - Jun 30 with 4559 viewsNed_Kennedys

Following our rousing success this evening it’s my pleasure to start the next match thread again as we stumble towards Euro success.

Foden and Saka out, Eze and Palmer in.
Centre midfield sorted after Mainoo’s decent performance.
Not sure about LB: stick with Trippier I guess?
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 00:25 - Jul 1 with 2416 viewsBoston

The Swiss eh - you'll have to be on guard.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 01:17 - Jul 1 with 2354 viewsnumptydumpty

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 00:25 - Jul 1 by Boston

Names on the cup.

We been average at the very best

Shocking yet there we are Switzerland stand between us and semi finals !!!

Unbelievable goal from Bellingham.

Time to start playing

England 4 Switzerland 0

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 01:34 - Jul 1 with 2339 viewsSydneyRs

I know we've been poor so far but that ending is the sort of thing that can turn a tournament around. We've seen others do it. Teams have won competitions without winning any group matches in the past.

Getting to the business end you'd expect teams to attack more and not employ the low block we've seen so far from opponents. Maybe this will create more opportunities for the undoubted talent our forward players possess. Or maybe we'll be rubbish again and the Swiss will send us home?

Still in it.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 05:06 - Jul 1 with 2259 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Super Ned's freds are fantastic, Bazza's were atrocious!

The Swiss have looked decent and I'm sure they're delighted and encouraged by the thought of playing England. We will need to be on it from the off.

Absolutely no idea at all!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 06:25 - Jul 1 with 2200 viewsDesertBoot

Bellingham’s goal had echoes of Platt’s volley in Italia ‘90.
I predict another heart-breaking semi final defeat this time to Austria.

Wish I could be like David Watts

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 07:08 - Jul 1 with 2120 viewsRs_Holy

heart says 2-1 to England... head says 2-1 defeat
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:09 - Jul 1 with 1991 viewsfrancisbowles

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 07:08 - Jul 1 by Rs_Holy

heart says 2-1 to England... head says 2-1 defeat

Who's going to replace Guehi?
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:12 - Jul 1 with 1985 viewsMrSheen

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:09 - Jul 1 by francisbowles

Eze. Unless he plays in goal.
Login to get fewer ads

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:23 - Jul 1 with 1958 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Rice is the biggest problem that I can see.

I haven't seen much of him as I rarely watch the First Division games, so I'm only basing it on his form in this tournament.

In any of the games so far, he hasn't played like a quality 6. He hasn't wanted the ball in pivot positions off his defenders or goalie, hasn't taken it on the half-turn, has shown a poor range of passing, rarely played forward, and has often even shown poor technique. He just points. I hate pointers.

He had two awful moments tonight. One at 90+4 (approx) when he could have recycled the ball but just panicked and half-hooked it into the box and lost possession and one at 118 (approx) where he panicked and half-hacked a crap clearance to a Slovakia player to send back into the England box. he laso got robbed on the halfway line.

He just slows everything down. He's not brave and whatever else he is, he doesn't look like a 6 to me.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:29 - Jul 1 with 1944 viewsMedwayR

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:23 - Jul 1 by BrianMcCarthy

I haven't seen much of him as I rarely watch the First Division games, so I'm only basing it on his form in this tournament.

In any of the games so far, he hasn't played like a quality 6. He hasn't wanted the ball in pivot positions off his defenders or goalie, hasn't taken it on the half-turn, has shown a poor range of passing, rarely played forward, and has often even shown poor technique. He just points. I hate pointers.

He had two awful moments tonight. One at 90+4 (approx) when he could have recycled the ball but just panicked and half-hooked it into the box and lost possession and one at 118 (approx) where he panicked and half-hacked a crap clearance to a Slovakia player to send back into the England box. he laso got robbed on the halfway line.

He just slows everything down. He's not brave and whatever else he is, he doesn't look like a 6 to me.

The big question is, when did the number 6 stop being a CB?

As for Rice, he's fantastic at covering ground and winning the ball back, he can also carry the ball forward. The one thing he can't do is play creative passes which is why Arsenal put Jorginho next to him. I guess Southgate tried the same with TAA but that was never going to work. I don't think England have a midfield playmaker like Jorginho or Rodri, maybe having a midfield 3 with Mainoo & Bellingham either side of Rice would work but in a different way, I definitely prefer Bellingham playing deeper than he currently is.

Poll: Who’s better?

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:35 - Jul 1 with 1922 viewsCamberleyR

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:23 - Jul 1 by BrianMcCarthy

I don't think he is a 6 to be honest. Arsenal started him there initially but in the latter part of the season Arteta was playing him as an 8.
[Post edited 1 Jul 9:53]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:42 - Jul 1 with 1878 viewsParkRoyalR

Those may be fair observations but he was the only player in that 2nd Half who stood up, others (including Bellingham) just disappeared and hid,

Nearly got the equaliser through showing desire and this desire and belief has been on show all season with Arsenal,

In a team lacking characters he's a must start.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:44 - Jul 1 with 1868 viewsMalintabuk

Well after last night I think we are on a (Swiss) roll
Surely the cup is coming gnome
I canton believe we are still in the competition
But the Jura is still out about the balance of the team
Hopefully our performances will just get better and Federer
2-0 to the 3 lions

And you can take that to the bank
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:52 - Jul 1 with 1808 viewsCamberleyR

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:09 - Jul 1 by francisbowles

Got to be Konsa surely.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:54 - Jul 1 with 1787 viewsTheChef

Surely the biggest problem is Trippier playing at left back, thus pretty much negating any attacking play down that flank?

Shaw is still unlikely to be fit (maybe for the final, tee hee) so chances are Southgate will persevere with that. But then I think he needs to replace Foden who has not been great (and would be a lot more effective centrally).

We could be good but the manager will only play one way, and we still haven't lost. So if you can't be good, be lucky.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:01 - Jul 1 with 1756 viewsWatford_Ranger

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:54 - Jul 1 by TheChef

Surely the biggest problem is Trippier playing at left back, thus pretty much negating any attacking play down that flank?

Shaw is still unlikely to be fit (maybe for the final, tee hee) so chances are Southgate will persevere with that. But then I think he needs to replace Foden who has not been great (and would be a lot more effective centrally).

We could be good but the manager will only play one way, and we still haven't lost. So if you can't be good, be lucky.

Assuming Trippier plays it has to be Gordon ahead of him for me. That left side has produced nothing.

I’d love him to be aggressive and play Gordon and Toney. Push Switzerland back. Be direct sometimes. Be horrible.

But I fear it’ll be the same team with Gallagher in for Bellingham and Mainoo played higher which won’t go down at all well.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:09 - Jul 1 with 1704 viewsMarshy67

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 00:25 - Jul 1 by Boston

Yep because they sure wont roll over.....
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:09 - Jul 1 with 1702 viewsTheChef

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:01 - Jul 1 by Watford_Ranger

Assuming Trippier plays it has to be Gordon ahead of him for me. That left side has produced nothing.

I’d love him to be aggressive and play Gordon and Toney. Push Switzerland back. Be direct sometimes. Be horrible.

But I fear it’ll be the same team with Gallagher in for Bellingham and Mainoo played higher which won’t go down at all well.

Why would he drop or rest Bellingham?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:19 - Jul 1 with 1609 viewsMetallica_Hoop

2-1 England.

Whatever happens though, I've stuck by Southgate but as King Willie said in Predator 2 "Timee to gooo".

All those flair players and most of the time we play like Greece in (forget) coached by that German chap. Zzzzz

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:39 - Jul 1 with 1512 viewskernowhoop

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:54 - Jul 1 by TheChef

Eze was at left back for a few minutes. No more of that Gareth, please!
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:48 - Jul 1 with 1483 viewsWatford_Ranger

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:09 - Jul 1 by TheChef

Why would he drop or rest Bellingham?

I thought he was suspended. Apparently not.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 11:06 - Jul 1 with 1440 viewsdaveB

Konsa or Dunk and possibly Trippier missing as well
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 11:14 - Jul 1 with 1391 viewsHunterhoop

Completely agree, Bri.

I have been a big fan of Rice as a central midfielder. At Arsenal I think he’s shown a lot of strings to his bow: covers the ground, great at breaking up and tackling, body on the line, connecting play and getting forward and striking a few goals from 25 yards.

For England, in this tournament, especially in the last two games, I think he’s played like a donkey. Absolutely no bravery in possession to thread a forward pass through the lines. Way too many touches before moving it on. He slows us down so much time and time again. There were moments against Slovakia where he was tripping over the ball his touch was so bad. In another moment, under limited pressure he took 5 touches to end up playing a simple square pass.

Personally, I think this double pivot is the route of England’s problems. Most top nations and club sides play a “worker” like Rice alongside a cultured ball player. Think Derry and Faurlin at QPR 13/14 years ago.

I think he was trying that with TAA alongside Rice, but TAA is positionally awful there and was exposed several times. His touch looked too poor to play in there as well.

It won’t happen but I think we need to play a Bellingham/Foden/Palmer/Eze alongside Rice (or Mainoo or Wharton), to pick the passes, drive with the ball, break lines and get England up the pitch.

Second major issue is left back. IMO, Shaw or Saka must start there. It needs to be a left footer yo stretch the pitch and help move the ball up the flank quickly. Trippier is a disaster out there.

Wide left and wide right, I would now play Eze and Palmer. They showed so much more dynamism and ability to beat their men last night. Saka behind Eze could transform our left hand side. If you played Bellingham alongside Rice, you could the retain Foden but at 10, or play Palmer there and put Bowen on the right.

Up top, I would start Toney or Watkins over Kane now. Against the Swiss, I’d probably go with Watkins as I think they’ll play higher up the pitch. If we make it through to Austria, I’d play Toney I suspect they’ll sit that bit deeper. All a moot point; he’s not dropping Kane.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 11:23 - Jul 1 with 1382 viewsconnell10

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 01:17 - Jul 1 by numptydumpty

Names on the cup.

We been average at the very best

Shocking yet there we are Switzerland stand between us and semi finals !!!

Unbelievable goal from Bellingham.

Time to start playing

England 4 Switzerland 0

2-1 ENGLAND

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 11:26 - Jul 1 with 1376 viewsSnipper

I can’t believe some people are still defending Southgate after yesterday’s performance.
We were 1 minute from an embarrassing exit.

Before the match yesterday, all pundits and fans knew the starting line up had to be shaken up, but Southgate being the stubborn person he is, decided to make just one change.
We were extremely lucky to get to half time only 1-0 down.

All three pundits in the ITV studio said that we need at least 3 substitutions at half time. Roy Keane said that good brave managers make these decisions.
Southgate proved he’s neither good or brave.

Second half starts, and to the bewilderment of the commentator, summariser and practically every England fan watching, he made no changes at all.
We all knew what was needed, but Southgate and his coaching staff, which laughably includes Jimmy Floyd Hasslebaink, didn’t know, or stubbornly refused to know.

He had to make a change 20 minutes into the second half as Trippier was injured. He brought on Cole Palmer to play on the right.
Palmer tried to get England going, but whenever he got the ball in space, he was gesturing for movement so he could make a good pass, but he wasn’t getting that movement. He looked exasperated.

It still clearly wasn’t working, but he waited until the 84th minute to make his next change, Eze for Mainoo.
More was desperately needed, but he waited until the 93rd minute to make his next sub, Toney for Foden.
Why the hell did he wait until the 93rd minute to bring another striker on?

I was resigned to our fate at this point, but we got lucky, very very lucky.
We somehow scored from a long throw with a spectacular finish.

We were 1 minute away from total humiliation. Southgate got very very lucky. He was 1 minute away from being torn apart by the pundits in the studio and 99.9% of England fans.
I don’t know whether he’s just plain stupid or plain stubborn.

Everybody knows we need to make changes for the quarter final vs Switzerland. Absolutely everybody apart from Southgate.
There’s not a hope in hell that he’ll make the changes that are needed.
The only change he’ll make is the enforced one in defence with Guehi suspended.

I honestly can’t see how the team he started with yesterday can beat Switzerland.

You can only go to the well so much. This Southgate team in this tournament has gone to the well so much, there’s nothing left to drink.

I really do fear for us on Saturday if he doesn’t do something drastic.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024