Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread 23:58 - Jun 30 with 4569 viewsNed_Kennedys

Following our rousing success this evening it’s my pleasure to start the next match thread again as we stumble towards Euro success.

Foden and Saka out, Eze and Palmer in.
Centre midfield sorted after Mainoo’s decent performance.
Not sure about LB: stick with Trippier I guess?
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 11:52 - Jul 1 with 1916 viewsdaveB

Rice is certainly one of a number of problems, it's like at QPR when Dozzell was playing the centre halves were like the chuckle brothers to me to you but as soon as Hayden came in and played on the half turn the team were transformed. Rice needs to do that much better, he's giving Stones no options and it's sideways backwards all the time. Mainoo did quite well and tried to drive us forward but he can't do it alone.

What he does next will be interesting as he's forced into changes at the back, possibly go to a back 3 with Saka/Trent as wing backs

Personally I'd go Konsa in for Guehi, They have some quick forwards so can't go with Dunk
Gomez or Shaw left back and Gordon or Eze in for Foden.
Saka will be lucky to stay in but with a better balance on the left I think he can come good on the right

Bellingham/Kane both been crap but they are your match winners and you can't drop them
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 12:36 - Jul 1 with 1810 viewsnumptydumpty

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 06:25 - Jul 1 by DesertBoot

Bellingham’s goal had echoes of Platt’s volley in Italia ‘90.
I predict another heart-breaking semi final defeat this time to Austria.

Thought exactly the same.

That was some goal too.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 14:19 - Jul 1 with 1677 viewsCiderwithRsie

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:23 - Jul 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Rice is the biggest problem that I can see.

I haven't seen much of him as I rarely watch the First Division games, so I'm only basing it on his form in this tournament.

In any of the games so far, he hasn't played like a quality 6. He hasn't wanted the ball in pivot positions off his defenders or goalie, hasn't taken it on the half-turn, has shown a poor range of passing, rarely played forward, and has often even shown poor technique. He just points. I hate pointers.

He had two awful moments tonight. One at 90+4 (approx) when he could have recycled the ball but just panicked and half-hooked it into the box and lost possession and one at 118 (approx) where he panicked and half-hacked a crap clearance to a Slovakia player to send back into the England box. he laso got robbed on the halfway line.

He just slows everything down. He's not brave and whatever else he is, he doesn't look like a 6 to me.

Up arrowed this purely for use of the phrase "First Division".

Down with League Name Inflation!
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 14:27 - Jul 1 with 1659 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:23 - Jul 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Rice is the biggest problem that I can see.

I haven't seen much of him as I rarely watch the First Division games, so I'm only basing it on his form in this tournament.

In any of the games so far, he hasn't played like a quality 6. He hasn't wanted the ball in pivot positions off his defenders or goalie, hasn't taken it on the half-turn, has shown a poor range of passing, rarely played forward, and has often even shown poor technique. He just points. I hate pointers.

He had two awful moments tonight. One at 90+4 (approx) when he could have recycled the ball but just panicked and half-hooked it into the box and lost possession and one at 118 (approx) where he panicked and half-hacked a crap clearance to a Slovakia player to send back into the England box. he laso got robbed on the halfway line.

He just slows everything down. He's not brave and whatever else he is, he doesn't look like a 6 to me.

You won’t get this in Ireland for obvious reasons, but its particularly hard after a lukewarm performance watching him trying to flog me yoghurt.
[Post edited 1 Jul 14:35]
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 14:42 - Jul 1 with 1619 viewsBenny_the_Ball

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:01 - Jul 1 by Watford_Ranger

Assuming Trippier plays it has to be Gordon ahead of him for me. That left side has produced nothing.

I’d love him to be aggressive and play Gordon and Toney. Push Switzerland back. Be direct sometimes. Be horrible.

But I fear it’ll be the same team with Gallagher in for Bellingham and Mainoo played higher which won’t go down at all well.

No way is Southgate dropping Bellingham. He'll play unless UEFA suspend him for his gesture.
[Post edited 1 Jul 15:54]
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 17:32 - Jul 1 with 1468 viewspaulparker

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 11:26 - Jul 1 by Snipper

I can’t believe some people are still defending Southgate after yesterday’s performance.
We were 1 minute from an embarrassing exit.

Before the match yesterday, all pundits and fans knew the starting line up had to be shaken up, but Southgate being the stubborn person he is, decided to make just one change.
We were extremely lucky to get to half time only 1-0 down.

All three pundits in the ITV studio said that we need at least 3 substitutions at half time. Roy Keane said that good brave managers make these decisions.
Southgate proved he’s neither good or brave.

Second half starts, and to the bewilderment of the commentator, summariser and practically every England fan watching, he made no changes at all.
We all knew what was needed, but Southgate and his coaching staff, which laughably includes Jimmy Floyd Hasslebaink, didn’t know, or stubbornly refused to know.

He had to make a change 20 minutes into the second half as Trippier was injured. He brought on Cole Palmer to play on the right.
Palmer tried to get England going, but whenever he got the ball in space, he was gesturing for movement so he could make a good pass, but he wasn’t getting that movement. He looked exasperated.

It still clearly wasn’t working, but he waited until the 84th minute to make his next change, Eze for Mainoo.
More was desperately needed, but he waited until the 93rd minute to make his next sub, Toney for Foden.
Why the hell did he wait until the 93rd minute to bring another striker on?

I was resigned to our fate at this point, but we got lucky, very very lucky.
We somehow scored from a long throw with a spectacular finish.

We were 1 minute away from total humiliation. Southgate got very very lucky. He was 1 minute away from being torn apart by the pundits in the studio and 99.9% of England fans.
I don’t know whether he’s just plain stupid or plain stubborn.

Everybody knows we need to make changes for the quarter final vs Switzerland. Absolutely everybody apart from Southgate.
There’s not a hope in hell that he’ll make the changes that are needed.
The only change he’ll make is the enforced one in defence with Guehi suspended.

I honestly can’t see how the team he started with yesterday can beat Switzerland.

You can only go to the well so much. This Southgate team in this tournament has gone to the well so much, there’s nothing left to drink.

I really do fear for us on Saturday if he doesn’t do something drastic.

Great post

Nothing has summed up our tournament more as when Slovakia nearly scored from the halfway line
He can’t help himself than to sit on a lead , at 2-1 they were gone but we then stick 10 men on the 18 yard box and looked all over the shop
The Swiss will beat us 2-1 because he is to arrogant to change

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 17:39 - Jul 1 with 1454 viewsToast_R

The biggest problem we've got is clearly the manager. Can't see him changing anything drastic and I think the Swiss will beat us in every department including goals for.

2-1 defeat after going 2-0 down.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 18:32 - Jul 1 with 1394 viewslassel

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 17:39 - Jul 1 by Toast_R

The biggest problem we've got is clearly the manager. Can't see him changing anything drastic and I think the Swiss will beat us in every department including goals for.

2-1 defeat after going 2-0 down.

Without saying what he *should* do, what he *will* do is Konsa in for Guehi and otherwise unchanged.

Perhaps if Trippier isn’t ready Saka at LB and Palmer in but I’m sure he’ll be fine.

2-0 Switzerland
Login to get fewer ads

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 18:35 - Jul 1 with 1373 viewsRangersw12

1-0 England

Kane pen
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 19:34 - Jul 1 with 1267 viewsjtuck

Would go full Graham Taylor. Two up front: Kane and Toney. Wingers Gordon and Palmer, dropping Moody Manc and Saka. Konsa in at back. Mix it up...plenty of long ball and occasionally surprise playing of football. Pure fantasy as Southgate will plod on, playing delusional way.

LAranger

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 19:44 - Jul 1 with 1238 viewsdaveB

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 19:34 - Jul 1 by jtuck

Would go full Graham Taylor. Two up front: Kane and Toney. Wingers Gordon and Palmer, dropping Moody Manc and Saka. Konsa in at back. Mix it up...plenty of long ball and occasionally surprise playing of football. Pure fantasy as Southgate will plod on, playing delusional way.

I'm not sure going route one is the answer against the Swiss they'd pick us off quite easily
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 20:15 - Jul 1 with 1184 viewsCiderwithRsie

Frankly "I'd go full Graham Taylor" is probably the most frightening phrase an England fan could hear.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 20:20 - Jul 1 with 1174 viewsizlingtonhoop

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 20:15 - Jul 1 by CiderwithRsie

Frankly "I'd go full Graham Taylor" is probably the most frightening phrase an England fan could hear.

Do I not Like that?
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 20:33 - Jul 1 with 1147 viewsBoston

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:44 - Jul 1 by Malintabuk

Well after last night I think we are on a (Swiss) roll
Surely the cup is coming gnome
I canton believe we are still in the competition
But the Jura is still out about the balance of the team
Hopefully our performances will just get better and Federer
2-0 to the 3 lions

And you can take that to the bank

Mark my words, they'll be many mountains to climb.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 21:32 - Jul 1 with 1043 viewsBluce_Ree

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 20:33 - Jul 1 by Boston

Mark my words, they'll be many mountains to climb.

Playing a second striker changed us for the better. Foden deffo out. I thought Saka has been pretty good tho.

Not sure about starting Eze. I'm not convinced.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:15 - Jul 2 with 875 viewssimmo

Aside from all the justified criticism of Southgate and his perceived arrogance, the fact we're approaching game 5 of a tournament we've been prepping years for, and still don't know our best team or preferred style, is damning in the extreme.

I can't tell you what kind of team we're trying to be, and having players out of position with vast areas of the pitch nullified has been an issue since the first game - yet I'm pretty positive none of this will be addressed for Saturday.

He's already fcked us over at LB, but the other issues are salvageable, and I genuinely think we're only a few small changes away from winning the whole thing.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:38 - Jul 2 with 846 viewsTheChef

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 19:34 - Jul 1 by jtuck

44 fkin 2.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:40 - Jul 2 with 844 viewsvanrrrr

I happened to be at the Italy Switzerland R16 game in Berlin .

Italy were absolute shite but I was impressed by the Swiss - very well organized and coached a bit of pace up front and strong down the middle. Game was over in 50 odd mins and Italy knew it - so they will be well rested too.

My advice to Gareth :
Don't give xhaka the time Italy did - absolutely ran the show and had so much time to pick a pass
Attack down the wings where the swiss look weakest - Only joy Italy go was was here on the odd occasion they beat the press

Would not be surprised if this went to pens
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:01 - Jul 2 with 812 viewsWatford_Ranger

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 09:38 - Jul 2 by TheChef

44 fkin 2.

Football is cyclical and I think 442 will make a comeback at some point. So many teams trying and failing to play lovely triangles while rarely looking like scoring. There’s nothing wrong with being a bit more direct, looking to play in the other team’s half and having more than one isolated striker. It doesn’t have to be John Beck.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:04 - Jul 2 with 811 viewsBexleyHoop

I would Like us start with a team that are all playing in positions they are used to

-------------------- Kane----------

------Gordan -- Bellingham ----Palmer

----------------Rice ------Mainoo--------

Gomez ---- Konsa ---Stones ----Walker

If this ain't working then go 442 with Toney or Watkins to give Kane some support with either Rice / Mainoo making way. Replace Gordan and Palmer with Eze and Saka when they tire
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:21 - Jul 2 with 777 viewsdaveB

No matter which 11 he plays the big change needs to be far more width and when we have the ball players being closer to each other so we can move the ball quickly.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:33 - Jul 2 with 750 viewsTheChef

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:21 - Jul 2 by daveB

No matter which 11 he plays the big change needs to be far more width and when we have the ball players being closer to each other so we can move the ball quickly.

Yes must get the players closer and be more compact through the middle. Look at how Spain play.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 11:43 - Jul 2 with 646 viewsStanFan

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 10:21 - Jul 2 by daveB

This This 100% This.
We move the ball SO SLOWLY. There is no movement from the players in front so passing forwards is a lottery. This makes it so easy to stop us as a team. Tight marking and a bit of a press and we're completely nullified.
England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 00:06 - Jul 3 with 301 views100percent

great interview...

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 01:05 - Jul 3 with 265 viewsPunteR

England v Switzerland Quarter Final match thread on 11:14 - Jul 1 by Hunterhoop

Completely agree, Bri.

I have been a big fan of Rice as a central midfielder. At Arsenal I think he’s shown a lot of strings to his bow: covers the ground, great at breaking up and tackling, body on the line, connecting play and getting forward and striking a few goals from 25 yards.

For England, in this tournament, especially in the last two games, I think he’s played like a donkey. Absolutely no bravery in possession to thread a forward pass through the lines. Way too many touches before moving it on. He slows us down so much time and time again. There were moments against Slovakia where he was tripping over the ball his touch was so bad. In another moment, under limited pressure he took 5 touches to end up playing a simple square pass.

Personally, I think this double pivot is the route of England’s problems. Most top nations and club sides play a “worker” like Rice alongside a cultured ball player. Think Derry and Faurlin at QPR 13/14 years ago.

I think he was trying that with TAA alongside Rice, but TAA is positionally awful there and was exposed several times. His touch looked too poor to play in there as well.

It won’t happen but I think we need to play a Bellingham/Foden/Palmer/Eze alongside Rice (or Mainoo or Wharton), to pick the passes, drive with the ball, break lines and get England up the pitch.

Second major issue is left back. IMO, Shaw or Saka must start there. It needs to be a left footer yo stretch the pitch and help move the ball up the flank quickly. Trippier is a disaster out there.

Wide left and wide right, I would now play Eze and Palmer. They showed so much more dynamism and ability to beat their men last night. Saka behind Eze could transform our left hand side. If you played Bellingham alongside Rice, you could the retain Foden but at 10, or play Palmer there and put Bowen on the right.

Up top, I would start Toney or Watkins over Kane now. Against the Swiss, I’d probably go with Watkins as I think they’ll play higher up the pitch. If we make it through to Austria, I’d play Toney I suspect they’ll sit that bit deeper. All a moot point; he’s not dropping Kane.

I wouldn't drop Kane either. He's a goal scorer. Would be like dropping Lineker.
Palmer needs to be on the pitch. Id drop Foden and have Eze on next game.
I think Rice has been one of our most consistent players , id argue he's not having the movement in front of him or players asking for the ball.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024