Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Book recommendation 13:34 - Jun 29 with 3791 viewswelwynranger

American Dirt
Jeanine Cummins.
A heartwarming story about a woman who witnesses 16 members of her family shot down at the BBQ of her 15yr old niece birthday party.

Because her jounalist husband wrote a story about the leader of a drugs cartel.

She then has to travel through 6500miles through the bad lands of Mexico to the safety of America
Being trailed by the cartel.

I am never without a book and this is the best book i have ever read.
I would recommend this book to anyone male or female
Book recommendation on 14:24 - Jul 6 with 816 viewsMrSheen

I’m just finishing “American Midnight” by Adam Hochschild, about the remarkable repression and violence which was launched by President Woodrow Wilson’s administration once America entered the First World War. Intended to suppress opposition to the draft and German espionage, it was quickly turned on unions, “unreliable” foreigners, and even after the War kept in place due to the fear of Communist uprisings and paranoia about the potential danger to the status quo from returning black servicemen.

It’s a horribly fascinating story, but Hochschild, who see himself as a moral tutor as much as an historian, over-eggs the pudding with frequent references to Trump, the Tea Party, QAnon etc that are either obvious or over-blown. I’d have preferred it if he’d trusted me to draw my own conclusion.

Ironically, one strong parallel Hochschild would have been able to draw if he had finished his book in 2024 rather than 2022 (though he might have chosen to leave it out) is this: Wilson suffered a series of strokes in 1919, originally in France negotiating the Treaty of Versailles and later in the US while travelling the country, trying to raise support for joining the League of Nations. He was brought back to Washington in a sealed train and was bedridden for two months, and only left the White House for the first time another six weeks later. At first he was unable to move and his speech was so indistinct it was unclear whether he was able to understand anything at all. His cabinet members recommended he resign but Edith Wilson disliked the Vice President and said she could act as the interpreter of his intentions. Cabinet members visited his room, individually at first and later together, to address him and she bent over him and gave what she said was his response. As late as the end of March 1920 she said he still planned to run for reelection until someone leaked his true condition to the press. Plus ça change…
Book recommendation on 18:02 - Jul 6 with 725 viewshantssi

Book recommendation on 19:17 - Jun 29 by Logman

Love a good book thread and read the first two books in CJ Sansom's Shardlake series thanks to recommendations on here (both very enjoyable).

I've recently been going through a non-fiction phase, partly as a result of an unsettled time I have been going through and the desire to understand more about human behaviour.

The last novel I read prior to that was Dracula (again on the advice of a friend) which was actually good and has some relevance to the world we live in now; the whole sad story being an allegory to the world of lust and carnal desires.

If you are not a great fan of long books Tom Hanks has written a book of short stories called Uncommon Type, some of which are quite good. There is one in there about a teenager coming of age (but not in the usual sense) on a surfing trip with his father. It is wonderful little story (titled 'Welcome to Mars) , only about 10 or 15 pages long but like I say, there is a life story in there. Well worth trying to find.

Read all the Shardlake books, really enjoyed them.
Last year read the Ken Follett 20th Century trilogy, it's fiction mixed in with real events.
Like to have a fiction and non fiction book on the go, currently The Body by Bill Bryson and Andrew Marr, A History of Modern Britain (the follow on from WW2 to end of 20th century), need a fiction book to go with them as they’re both a bit on the heavy side!
Book recommendation on 21:45 - Jul 6 with 663 viewsqpr_1968

love me world history.....
one book or books i've never read up on is the spanish inquisition.

anyone reccomend a decent read on this .

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Book recommendation on 22:08 - Jul 6 with 642 viewsDiscodroids

Just finished 'the long knives' by irvine welsh. utter shite.

it's been a steep descent since 'Glue'

'From Little Acorns, Harold..'

Book recommendation on 22:20 - Jul 6 with 620 viewsMrSheen

Book recommendation on 21:45 - Jul 6 by qpr_1968

love me world history.....
one book or books i've never read up on is the spanish inquisition.

anyone reccomend a decent read on this .

That’s a very good question. The most about it I’ve read is Diarmaid MacCulloch’s “Refotmation”, which traces the emergence of Protestantism and the reaction to it in Europe and its colonies from 1450-1700. He implies that the main task of the Inquisition was to reform the Catholic church rather than root out heresy and he gives it credit for stamping out the abuses which fuelled popular Protestantism elsewhere. He claims it was much less violent than its reputation which was created by Protestant critics of later centuries and certainly less bloodthirsty in the pursuit of witches than the Protestant North. Writers focussing more on the experience of post-Reconquista Jewish and Moorish converts (“conversos”) have a different view of it. It’s a great (if lengthy!) read either way…I never knew that Poland and Hungary had once been strongholds of Protestantism.
[Post edited 6 Jul 22:21]
Book recommendation on 22:25 - Jul 6 with 604 viewsqpr_1968

Book recommendation on 22:20 - Jul 6 by MrSheen

That’s a very good question. The most about it I’ve read is Diarmaid MacCulloch’s “Refotmation”, which traces the emergence of Protestantism and the reaction to it in Europe and its colonies from 1450-1700. He implies that the main task of the Inquisition was to reform the Catholic church rather than root out heresy and he gives it credit for stamping out the abuses which fuelled popular Protestantism elsewhere. He claims it was much less violent than its reputation which was created by Protestant critics of later centuries and certainly less bloodthirsty in the pursuit of witches than the Protestant North. Writers focussing more on the experience of post-Reconquista Jewish and Moorish converts (“conversos”) have a different view of it. It’s a great (if lengthy!) read either way…I never knew that Poland and Hungary had once been strongholds of Protestantism.
[Post edited 6 Jul 22:21]

cheers sheeny.....
sounds about right the little i know of the inquisition....

i'll have a butchers at that one...

not a 1,000 pages long is it?

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Book recommendation on 22:33 - Jul 6 with 598 viewsMrSheen

Book recommendation on 22:25 - Jul 6 by qpr_1968

cheers sheeny.....
sounds about right the little i know of the inquisition....

i'll have a butchers at that one...

not a 1,000 pages long is it?

More like 600 IIRC!
Book recommendation on 10:13 - Jul 7 with 492 viewswelwynranger

Book recommendation on 22:08 - Jul 6 by Discodroids

Just finished 'the long knives' by irvine welsh. utter shite.

it's been a steep descent since 'Glue'

I waited a long time to read
Catcher In The Rye.
Really disappointed.
I stuck with it till the end waiting for something interesting or exciting to happen
It didnt
Login to get fewer ads

Book recommendation on 11:36 - Jul 7 with 432 viewsdmm

If you like a bit of heavy reading, "The Dawn of Everything: A New History of Humanity" by David Graeber and David Wengrow is truly amazing. It challenges received wisdom on how humans have developed.

If you liked "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari, you'll love this even though the authors disagree with Harari on many issues.
Book recommendation on 12:06 - Jul 7 with 402 viewsR_from_afar

Book recommendation on 16:02 - Jul 3 by elnombre

Some great recommendations so far, what a well-read bunch we are, thank you!

May I plug a favourite of my own - Richard Powers' 'The Overstory' is just breath-taking, and although I don't always enjoy Pulitzer prize-winners (Oscar Wao, anyone?), this is an absolute gem.

Nine stories intersected and interwoven by trees, yes it is a bit preachy (I'm no tree-hugging hippy - don't let that put you off), it is beautifully written, will make you cry several times over, and heck, yes, look out Mildred, he's actually going to say it, 'it may change your life'.

Reminds me in some ways of my all time fave, 'Moby Dick' (in that you will, besides a cracking tale, learn rather too much about whales/trees in passing) - I have no higher praise, until Clive's first novel (don't tell me you haven't though about it).

"Reminds me in some ways of my all time fave, 'Moby Dick'"

Coincidentally, I have not long finished reading 'Wreck of the whaleship Essex" by Owen Chase and that was fascinating. I wasn't interested in "the custom of the sea," rather I was in awe of the feats of navigation. Chase was actually on the boat, so it's a first hand account.

I'd recommend "The steppenwolf" by Herman Hesse, it's a short novel about an ordinary bloke taken on a surreal and psychedelic journey by a mysterious woman. Don't expect big motorbikes and heavy metal, though!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Book recommendation on 12:43 - Jul 7 with 368 viewshubble

Book recommendation on 12:06 - Jul 7 by R_from_afar

"Reminds me in some ways of my all time fave, 'Moby Dick'"

Coincidentally, I have not long finished reading 'Wreck of the whaleship Essex" by Owen Chase and that was fascinating. I wasn't interested in "the custom of the sea," rather I was in awe of the feats of navigation. Chase was actually on the boat, so it's a first hand account.

I'd recommend "The steppenwolf" by Herman Hesse, it's a short novel about an ordinary bloke taken on a surreal and psychedelic journey by a mysterious woman. Don't expect big motorbikes and heavy metal, though!

Ah yes, Steppenwolf. What a book. Hesse is of course one of the absolute greats of European literature. Steppenwolf might be tough going for the modern reader, but so worth it. The Magic Theatre - for Madmen Only!

Hesse is the master of metaphysics, married to marvellous story telling. Harry Haller has long been a hero of mine (Harry Haller... Herman Hesse)' I have totally related to his existential crisis, ever since I first read it, nearly 40 years ago.

It's heartening to know that Hesse is still widely read, indeed my 20 year old goddaughter just read 'Siddhartha'.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Book recommendation on 15:37 - Jul 7 with 309 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'll definitely be checking a few of these out. Thanks folks.

Another vote for 'The Overstory', 'Angels with Dirty Faces' and 'Inverting the Pyramid'.

Also a mention for 'Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee' which is about the slaughter of the Native Americans.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Book recommendation on 16:00 - Jul 7 with 267 viewswelwynranger

Book recommendation on 15:37 - Jul 7 by BrianMcCarthy

I'll definitely be checking a few of these out. Thanks folks.

Another vote for 'The Overstory', 'Angels with Dirty Faces' and 'Inverting the Pyramid'.

Also a mention for 'Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee' which is about the slaughter of the Native Americans.

Wounded Knee.
Soldier Blue
What a horrible film depicting beheadings, amputations murder, rape etc.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024