Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Book recommendation 13:34 - Jun 29 with 2333 viewswelwynranger

American Dirt
Jeanine Cummins.
A heartwarming story about a woman who witnesses 16 members of her family shot down at the BBQ of her 15yr old niece birthday party.

Because her jounalist husband wrote a story about the leader of a drugs cartel.

She then has to travel through 6500miles through the bad lands of Mexico to the safety of America
Being trailed by the cartel.

I am never without a book and this is the best book i have ever read.
I would recommend this book to anyone male or female
Book recommendation on 14:16 - Jun 29 with 2267 viewselnombre

It's a very good book, a little overshadowed by all the controversy.

I'm off now to castigate Dickens for writing 'a Tale of Two Cities' when he was neither French, nor a revolutionary, nor indeed lived through the French Revolution, but a TZ book club thread, there's an idea perhaps?
Book recommendation on 18:22 - Jun 29 with 2118 viewsderbyhoop

My Father's House by Joseph O'connor (Sinead's brother).
Set in Rome 1944, as the Germans under.ptessure and Vatican helping escapees.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Book recommendation on 19:17 - Jun 29 with 2081 viewsLogman

Love a good book thread and read the first two books in CJ Sansom's Shardlake series thanks to recommendations on here (both very enjoyable).

I've recently been going through a non-fiction phase, partly as a result of an unsettled time I have been going through and the desire to understand more about human behaviour.

The last novel I read prior to that was Dracula (again on the advice of a friend) which was actually good and has some relevance to the world we live in now; the whole sad story being an allegory to the world of lust and carnal desires.

If you are not a great fan of long books Tom Hanks has written a book of short stories called Uncommon Type, some of which are quite good. There is one in there about a teenager coming of age (but not in the usual sense) on a surfing trip with his father. It is wonderful little story (titled 'Welcome to Mars) , only about 10 or 15 pages long but like I say, there is a life story in there. Well worth trying to find.
Book recommendation on 20:03 - Jun 29 with 2031 viewsjoe90

I’m reading ‘Angles With Dirty Faces: The Footballing History of Argentina’ - By Jonathan Wilson.

Fascinating and well researched book that also covers the modern history of Argentina. Highly recommend.
Book recommendation on 20:32 - Jun 29 with 2008 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

I'm halfway through 'The Earth is Weeping' by Peter Cozzens a history of the Indian Wars in the American west.
I didn't know a lot about this historical era, so thought I'd give it a go. Great book, very easy to read, but my God the brutality, lying and cheating that went on by both the US government, US soldiers and the Indians is shocking.

Highly recommended to you history buffs on here.
Book recommendation on 21:02 - Jun 29 with 1970 viewsCateLeBonR

I'd love to read more but I've always been a terrible reader. I've got loads of books sitting on my shelves I haven't read. Just sitting on my shelves not being read.
Book recommendation on 22:06 - Jun 29 with 1917 viewsdmm

Book recommendation on 20:03 - Jun 29 by joe90

I’m reading ‘Angles With Dirty Faces: The Footballing History of Argentina’ - By Jonathan Wilson.

Fascinating and well researched book that also covers the modern history of Argentina. Highly recommend.

We've mentioned this before but Jonathan Wilson's book, "Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics" is brilliant.
Book recommendation on 09:31 - Jul 2 with 1512 viewsthehat

I read "White City Blue" a few years ago with some good QPR material included in the book.
Login to get fewer ads

Book recommendation on 15:59 - Jul 2 with 1337 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I've just re-read Paul Kearney's 'Monachies of God' books for the 3rd time.

I cannot believe no one has tried to make a series out of them yet. Religious wars, Columbus like exploration, werewolves, huge battles, and lots of nookie.
[Post edited 2 Jul 16:00]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Book recommendation on 17:49 - Jul 2 with 1270 viewsPeterHucker

I finished reading The Three Body Problem a few days ago.
Mind bending science fiction by Chinese author Cixin Liu.
My favourite sci fi author is Philip K Dick so if you like his stuff give The Three Body Problem a try.

Most of the time I lean more into horror with my fiction reading. But not cliched stuff, something with a bit of humour & a bit of brains.

Really liked The Supernatural Elements by Edgar Cantero
Slade House by David Mitchell (not the Peep Show one)

I’ve read quite a few by Grady Hendrix lately, all of them very good.
Also Devil House by John Darnielle (singer in The Mountain Goats) and The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig
Book recommendation on 18:08 - Jul 2 with 1242 viewshubble

About a month ago a friend recommended 'Across the Nightingale Floor' the first book in the Tales of the Otori series, and I was hooked. I'm now nearly at the end of book 5 and already feeling sad that this is the last one. These books are almost too good, they're so incredibly readable, you just devour them.

They're set in a fictionalised feudal Japan which is beautifully realised and despite the fast pace, they're imbued with a deep spirituality. Wonderful.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Book recommendation on 19:54 - Jul 2 with 1153 viewsMrSheen

Book recommendation on 18:22 - Jun 29 by derbyhoop

My Father's House by Joseph O'connor (Sinead's brother).
Set in Rome 1944, as the Germans under.ptessure and Vatican helping escapees.

Does this man get a mention?

The mural overlooks the churchyard where he’s buried in Cahersiveen in County Kerry. It’s painted on the end wall of the barber who cuts my hair on holiday. I’d never heard of him before I saw it.
Book recommendation on 21:13 - Jul 2 with 1090 viewsNoDiddley

Just read again on holiday’Stan The Man’
Still makes me chuckle on my sun lounger.
What a character & genius.
Anybody want a copy PM me
Book recommendation on 10:58 - Jul 3 with 919 viewsSilverfoxqpr

It won the Booker Prize in 2023 and for once it's justified and worth the hype.

"Prophet Song" by Paul Lynch, can't recommend it highly enough and eerily apt for the times we're currently living in.

"If there was ever a crucial book for our current times, it’s Paul Lynch’s Prophet Song. The Limerick-born author’s fifth novel imagines the Republic of Ireland slipping into totalitarianism after the rise of the rightwing National Alliance party which seizes total control in response to trade unionists lobbying for increased teachers’ wages. Civil liberties erode and civil war breaks out. Like a lobster in a boiling pot, people don’t realise their freedoms have been obliterated until it’s too late: “All your life you’ve been asleep, all of us sleeping and now the great waking begins.”
Book recommendation on 11:14 - Jul 3 with 881 viewsnick_hammersmith

I love James Ellroys books, maybe American Tabloid is a good one to start on?
Hard work, but rewarding to read
Book recommendation on 16:02 - Jul 3 with 740 viewselnombre

Some great recommendations so far, what a well-read bunch we are, thank you!

May I plug a favourite of my own - Richard Powers' 'The Overstory' is just breath-taking, and although I don't always enjoy Pulitzer prize-winners (Oscar Wao, anyone?), this is an absolute gem.

Nine stories intersected and interwoven by trees, yes it is a bit preachy (I'm no tree-hugging hippy - don't let that put you off), it is beautifully written, will make you cry several times over, and heck, yes, look out Mildred, he's actually going to say it, 'it may change your life'.

Reminds me in some ways of my all time fave, 'Moby Dick' (in that you will, besides a cracking tale, learn rather too much about whales/trees in passing) - I have no higher praise, until Clive's first novel (don't tell me you haven't though about it).
Book recommendation on 06:00 - Jul 4 with 555 viewsdmm

Book recommendation on 16:02 - Jul 3 by elnombre

Some great recommendations so far, what a well-read bunch we are, thank you!

May I plug a favourite of my own - Richard Powers' 'The Overstory' is just breath-taking, and although I don't always enjoy Pulitzer prize-winners (Oscar Wao, anyone?), this is an absolute gem.

Nine stories intersected and interwoven by trees, yes it is a bit preachy (I'm no tree-hugging hippy - don't let that put you off), it is beautifully written, will make you cry several times over, and heck, yes, look out Mildred, he's actually going to say it, 'it may change your life'.

Reminds me in some ways of my all time fave, 'Moby Dick' (in that you will, besides a cracking tale, learn rather too much about whales/trees in passing) - I have no higher praise, until Clive's first novel (don't tell me you haven't though about it).

Great recommendation. This is indeed an excellent read.
Book recommendation on 09:26 - Jul 4 with 486 viewsrobith

Non fiction wise I'd recommend Money Men by Dan McCrum. It is genuinely staggering. Starts with some light fraud, ends with the FT's offices being bugged and one of the wildest sentences I've seen in print
Book recommendation on 09:28 - Jul 4 with 473 views1MoreBrightonR

Book recommendation on 22:06 - Jun 29 by dmm

We've mentioned this before but Jonathan Wilson's book, "Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics" is brilliant.

i was curious about how easy to read it was? I love him as a journalist but wasnt sure how accessible this would be. thoughts?
Book recommendation on 10:09 - Jul 4 with 421 viewsjoe90

Book recommendation on 09:28 - Jul 4 by 1MoreBrightonR

i was curious about how easy to read it was? I love him as a journalist but wasnt sure how accessible this would be. thoughts?

It's a good mix of historical context and in-depth tactics. I found it accessible and wouldn't consider myself to have been that knowledgeable on the tactical side of the game, but have taken more of an interest since reading.
Book recommendation on 10:26 - Jul 4 with 390 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Book recommendation on 21:13 - Jul 2 by NoDiddley

Just read again on holiday’Stan The Man’
Still makes me chuckle on my sun lounger.
What a character & genius.
Anybody want a copy PM me

I got Stan to sign mine when I did the stadium tour and he was helping out. It was truly wonderful to meet and chat to my hero. He also signed my sons shirt (that had his name on it) that day which is now in a frame in his bedroom.
Book recommendation on 11:43 - Jul 4 with 310 viewsdmm

Book recommendation on 10:09 - Jul 4 by joe90

It's a good mix of historical context and in-depth tactics. I found it accessible and wouldn't consider myself to have been that knowledgeable on the tactical side of the game, but have taken more of an interest since reading.

Agreed, Joe. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It wasn't too technical at all.
Book recommendation on 12:07 - Jul 4 with 277 viewsE17hoop

A few I've read recently:
The Art of Explanation: How to Communicate with Clarity and Confidence by Ros Atkins the BBC journalist. Really interesting to see how he takes all the source data to frame the narrative.

Making Decisions by Ed Smith. About his time as an England selector and how they used data alongside qualitative review to choose the team.

When the Dust Settles by Lucy Easthope. Fascinating insight into how disaster planning works.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024