Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread 23:10 - Jun 25 with 24421 viewsNed_Kennedys

We’ve had three match threads from a Southgate fan and three terrible England performances so surely it’s time to have one from a Southgate critic?

Walker switched to LB, TAA in at right back, Bellingham dropped back next to Rice, Foden central, Gordon on the left and Palmer on the right. Come on Gareth: you can do it!
[Post edited 27 Jun 15:28]
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 01:39 - Jul 1 with 2035 viewsSydneyRs

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 00:45 - Jul 1 by rbee

What's new? Gareth is a lucky manager but his record so far is stealing defeat from the jaws of victory.

Gareth has five days to go back to the drawing board, wipe it clean and start over. He should look at his squad forget about personalities and history and concentrate on selecting a team capable of beating the Swiss. This team should take to the field confident, crystal clear on what is expected of them and the roles they should play.

I do not believe that Gareth and his team are capable of doing this whereas the vast majority of Premier League managers are. I hope he proves me wrong.

This is the problem. Just pick the best players available in each position instead of trying to squeeze in the names. This tournament isn't that strong and we're likely to throw away the opportunity.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 02:33 - Jul 1 with 1955 viewsHooparoo

Still think Spain are the best team I've seen. I reckon the eventual winner will come from Germany v Spain in the quarters. England have the squad to improve but they just seem to lack the right mentality. France or Portugal - maybe?

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 03:43 - Jul 1 with 1922 viewsnumptydumpty

England in tournament football is a hard watch.

But whatever people think

World Cup 2018 Semi Finals
Euros 2020 Final
World Cup 2022 Quarter Finals
Euros 2024 Quarter Finals (Minimum)

Better than

Hodgson
Allardyce
Mclaren
Capello
Erickson
Keegan
Taylor
Greenwood
Revie

Only ones felt done better

Venables
Ramsey

Similar to

Robson

My view about England, it's the fans that have ALWAYS been the PROBLEM

We expect to win every tournament playing stunning football

We have the premier league where we watch some amazing football but this is over 40 odd games and the players all know each other's styles well and play with all fantastic players.

What other countries have done better than this, but we always expect incredible football and to win the tournament.

The ENGLAND FANS are and always have been the problem.

We are not going to win this tournament but if we do and everyone not happy with the style, Southgate will still get the CRAP

Absolute joke are England fans

For craps sake - maybe fans could consider the pressure these fans put on these young men and their manager has always meant our players have always crumbled under the pressure.

Support your country, your players and your manager.

England fans always have been an embarrassment

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 03:54 - Jul 1 with 1908 viewsrbee

The majority of fans take their lead from the media who are worse than the fans.

When the lads won in 1966 they were shielded from the media and all it took was no TV and newspapers.

Today the players and management are under the microscope and can't get away from it. It's the same for every country of course but our media can be some of the worst. It started with a Turnip you know.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 04:19 - Jul 1 with 1860 viewsQuillPenRiot

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 18:38 - Jun 30 by Westy75

Bellingham has been shit. No way justified his section in this one.

Well we all eat our own shit at some point….I think Southgate never gives them a solid framework and pattern about how to play

And that was the most remarkable bicycle kick goal I’ve ever seen…the timing, it was like he was spinning in air as the pass was just leaving the foot
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 04:38 - Jul 1 with 1838 viewsWesty75

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 04:19 - Jul 1 by QuillPenRiot

Well we all eat our own shit at some point….I think Southgate never gives them a solid framework and pattern about how to play

And that was the most remarkable bicycle kick goal I’ve ever seen…the timing, it was like he was spinning in air as the pass was just leaving the foot

A moment of brilliance but he was still shit for most of the game, and a player in better touch might well have seen us with the game in the bag without needing it. Delighted to still be in it but the lack of humility from Southgate in his post match interviews grates with me, as if this was all part of the plan. He got very, very lucky. I’d love it if he learns from this one and changes things up like he should have done yesterday. We’ll see.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 07:03 - Jul 1 with 1657 viewsSydneyRs

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 03:43 - Jul 1 by numptydumpty

England in tournament football is a hard watch.

But whatever people think

World Cup 2018 Semi Finals
Euros 2020 Final
World Cup 2022 Quarter Finals
Euros 2024 Quarter Finals (Minimum)

Better than

Hodgson
Allardyce
Mclaren
Capello
Erickson
Keegan
Taylor
Greenwood
Revie

Only ones felt done better

Venables
Ramsey

Similar to

Robson

My view about England, it's the fans that have ALWAYS been the PROBLEM

We expect to win every tournament playing stunning football

We have the premier league where we watch some amazing football but this is over 40 odd games and the players all know each other's styles well and play with all fantastic players.

What other countries have done better than this, but we always expect incredible football and to win the tournament.

The ENGLAND FANS are and always have been the problem.

We are not going to win this tournament but if we do and everyone not happy with the style, Southgate will still get the CRAP

Absolute joke are England fans

For craps sake - maybe fans could consider the pressure these fans put on these young men and their manager has always meant our players have always crumbled under the pressure.

Support your country, your players and your manager.

England fans always have been an embarrassment

I don't buy this stuff about the fans at all.

Sorry, but who goes into every tournament expecting to win when the country has only won one thing ever and that was nearly 60 years ago? England fans are very passionate and desperate to see some success, so go in with hope and by and large get right behind the team every time. That isn't the same as expecting to win.

The media are a different story and put far too much pressure on with the narrative they create. Self interest and getting clicks for more ad revenue is their only concern.

The fans have a right to vent after a bad performance. They've paid good money to be there. They also have a right to wonder why Southgate isn't getting better performances out of a very talented group of players and why he doesn't seem to have a system. You can only wonder what the right boss might do with this squad. We looked far better at the last world cup.

Nobody in this tournament is unbeatable. Sure Spain look good and play pretty football, but lets see how they get on against the better sides. Germany are decent but nothing more than that. They do have home advantage though. France like England haven't played that well but you have to fancy them to go close. Portugal are average and playing a guy 3 or 4 years past his best.

We've been awful so far but still have very good players and maybe the Bellingham moment could be a turning point. Scotland got a draw with Switzerland so lets not be too scared of them.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 07:16 - Jul 1 with 1632 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 07:03 - Jul 1 by SydneyRs

Sorry, but who goes into every tournament expecting to win when the country has only won one thing ever and that was nearly 60 years ago? England fans are very passionate and desperate to see some success, so go in with hope and by and large get right behind the team every time. That isn't the same as expecting to win.

The media are a different story and put far too much pressure on with the narrative they create. Self interest and getting clicks for more ad revenue is their only concern.

The fans have a right to vent after a bad performance. They've paid good money to be there. They also have a right to wonder why Southgate isn't getting better performances out of a very talented group of players and why he doesn't seem to have a system. You can only wonder what the right boss might do with this squad. We looked far better at the last world cup.

Nobody in this tournament is unbeatable. Sure Spain look good and play pretty football, but lets see how they get on against the better sides. Germany are decent but nothing more than that. They do have home advantage though. France like England haven't played that well but you have to fancy them to go close. Portugal are average and playing a guy 3 or 4 years past his best.

We've been awful so far but still have very good players and maybe the Bellingham moment could be a turning point. Scotland got a draw with Switzerland so lets not be too scared of them.

We can argue about how wide ranging it is, but the ‘Boregate’ nicknaming, Osama Bin Laden memes, and beer throwing v Slovenia is moronic and counter productive.

Neville nailed it last night. Criticism of the football is legitimate and the squad / staff should swallow it. That’s not what is happening in a lot of cases though.

Most fans decent. Had to feel for those three Rotherham fans who left early yesterday. Bet they won’t do it again for a while.
Login to get fewer ads

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 07:25 - Jul 1 with 1612 viewsnix

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 22:57 - Jun 30 by daveB

England were poor for most of the game, looked nervous beforehand and just never got going. Foden & Saka just not working out wide, Stones and Walker really poor, we got better second half but not by much.

Couldn't see us scoring but what a goal by Bellingham.
Extra time was just as bad after we scored but got over the line, performance and result similar to Germany struggling to beat Algeria in 2014 world cup.

So much to improve on but a massive hurdle conquered today to win that game

I'll leave this one with you whilst you spend another week slaughtering the manager and his staff

1968 - 2018 - England won 6 knockout games

We've won 7 so far under Southgate

I just don't know how you could look at England's performances this tournament and say we won because of this manager rather than in spite of him. For most of the matches we've looked unbalanced and without a clear plan. Even our best players have looked out of sorts and lacking in confidence.

I do think in the early days Southgate introduced some good things. I think he gave them more of a free rein, worked on their self-belief and some glaring omissions like not practising penalties. However, those things do not seem to be enough now. Maybe it would work better if he'd had just a motivating role and had a really good coach alongside him. But he picked Hasselbaink for that role inexplicably, who I don't think any QPR fan would claim to be a superlative coach.

The best coaches can do both roles, picking the best players in their best positions and inspire them with confidence too. I don't know why we can't find that when we're paying someone £5 million a year.

We have in my view a large pool of talent compared to past tournaments. We've had amazing players before but not as much strength in depth. I don't think past managers have had players of the standard of Palmer, Eze, Gordon, Toney, Watkins on the bench and Rashford and Grealish not even on the plane.

It's not just the English media that are saying we should do better with the talent available. I've heard several foreign journalists criticising Southgate. I think if anything he's had an easier ride than past managers from the turnip days.

I don't think our players have looked useless or clueless but I do think they have looked uncertain and lacking a clear strategy and a bit of confidence, especially those who've played in past tournaments with Southgate. It's the ones that have come in recently that have played with a bit more freedom.

If it's one or two players playing under their best then you might put it down to them but if it's the majority then you have to look at the manager. I don't expect them to play superlatively match after match but we just look so below par and we were so lucky to get through yesterday's match when even a team that is 45th in the world outplayed us for at least 60 minutes of the game.

I don't know for sure how he has done better than previous managers but my thoughts are that he's had a very good pool of players playing in tournaments where the standard may not be as high as in past tournaments.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 07:58 - Jul 1 with 1528 viewsdaveB

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 07:25 - Jul 1 by nix

I just don't know how you could look at England's performances this tournament and say we won because of this manager rather than in spite of him. For most of the matches we've looked unbalanced and without a clear plan. Even our best players have looked out of sorts and lacking in confidence.

I do think in the early days Southgate introduced some good things. I think he gave them more of a free rein, worked on their self-belief and some glaring omissions like not practising penalties. However, those things do not seem to be enough now. Maybe it would work better if he'd had just a motivating role and had a really good coach alongside him. But he picked Hasselbaink for that role inexplicably, who I don't think any QPR fan would claim to be a superlative coach.

The best coaches can do both roles, picking the best players in their best positions and inspire them with confidence too. I don't know why we can't find that when we're paying someone £5 million a year.

We have in my view a large pool of talent compared to past tournaments. We've had amazing players before but not as much strength in depth. I don't think past managers have had players of the standard of Palmer, Eze, Gordon, Toney, Watkins on the bench and Rashford and Grealish not even on the plane.

It's not just the English media that are saying we should do better with the talent available. I've heard several foreign journalists criticising Southgate. I think if anything he's had an easier ride than past managers from the turnip days.

I don't think our players have looked useless or clueless but I do think they have looked uncertain and lacking a clear strategy and a bit of confidence, especially those who've played in past tournaments with Southgate. It's the ones that have come in recently that have played with a bit more freedom.

If it's one or two players playing under their best then you might put it down to them but if it's the majority then you have to look at the manager. I don't expect them to play superlatively match after match but we just look so below par and we were so lucky to get through yesterday's match when even a team that is 45th in the world outplayed us for at least 60 minutes of the game.

I don't know for sure how he has done better than previous managers but my thoughts are that he's had a very good pool of players playing in tournaments where the standard may not be as high as in past tournaments.

I never said we won because of the manager, I said we were really poor all game and won thanks to 2 brilliant moments
[Post edited 1 Jul 8:22]
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 10:31 - Jul 1 with 1229 viewsHoopsie

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 07:58 - Jul 1 by daveB

I never said we won because of the manager, I said we were really poor all game and won thanks to 2 brilliant moments
[Post edited 1 Jul 8:22]

Were the players performance poor or the manager’s selection, tactics and game plan poor?

The two brilliant moments were created by the players themselves and not the manager

So is Southgate lucky?

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 10:46 - Jul 1 with 1170 viewslondonscottish

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 07:25 - Jul 1 by nix

It's awful to watch. I missed Kane's goal as I took the opportunity to go and buy some frozen prawns. Such drab football.

No width, no runners getting in behind. All the opposite team needs to do is line up 2 banks of 4 knowing that England can't pass through that.

I went to the last two friendlies at Wembley. The Iceland game was like that. I guess the only positive is that the Belgium game before that was fast and open. Maybe when a team comes at England we'll see more of the attacking play we know they're capable of.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 10:55 - Jul 1 with 1142 viewsdaveB

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 10:31 - Jul 1 by Hoopsie

Were the players performance poor or the manager’s selection, tactics and game plan poor?

The two brilliant moments were created by the players themselves and not the manager

So is Southgate lucky?

it's a bit of both. Kane said that long throw had been worked on but moments like that are individual brilliance like Beckham against Greece and Platt v Belgium.

The narrative has been written that if England win this it's despite Southgate and if we don't it's all down to him and I don't think anything that happens in the next 2 weeks will change that.

I don't think he's having a good tournament, the lack of changes yesterday was infuriating but we got away with it

Players like Stones, Foden, Walker, Bellingham, Kane, Saka all playing miles off their best but that goal yesterday shows why he has to stuck with most of them really and hope they come good.

One thing is for sure the players and manager are going to have to d a lot better to get through the next game as the Swiss look a miles better team than England at the moment
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 11:14 - Jul 1 with 1070 viewsrobith

I'm glad people are coming round to the fact that Foden at 10 isn't the answer, but Foden out of the team. A tremendous player but he's been playing like an absolute prick at this Euros. Main accomplishments being unable to complete passes and getting goals chalked off
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 11:30 - Jul 1 with 1019 viewsJuzzie

I was (but wasn't) surprised at the starting XI yesterday. Same old, same old.

Palmer has to start on Saturday and I think Kane needs Toney as the midfield just aren't doing that job and Kane is too isolated.
Foden is a great player but just hasn't done it, cannot start sadly and it will create the slot for Toney to start.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 11:46 - Jul 1 with 915 viewsAntti_Heinola

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 07:16 - Jul 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

We can argue about how wide ranging it is, but the ‘Boregate’ nicknaming, Osama Bin Laden memes, and beer throwing v Slovenia is moronic and counter productive.

Neville nailed it last night. Criticism of the football is legitimate and the squad / staff should swallow it. That’s not what is happening in a lot of cases though.

Most fans decent. Had to feel for those three Rotherham fans who left early yesterday. Bet they won’t do it again for a while.

Agree -the moronic stuff is just that - moronic.

But also think Neville is right. This is not about us 'expecting' to win the tournament. I don't think many people 'expect' that - but we do have a right to expect better than those four games, which have all been at best sub par and at worst absolute rubbish. I've defended Southgate for years, but his refusal last night to use subs was bordering on stupidity. Watch Spain, a team not even fancied to win this tournament a fortnight ago, and how they react to being 2-1 up, 3-1 up: going forward, get the next goal. That's Marti's philosophy too. Even when we went 2-1 up last night, we just retreated, when we had them by the balls. I don't get it.

Bare bones.

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 11:50 - Jul 1 with 888 viewsAntti_Heinola

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 10:46 - Jul 1 by londonscottish

It's awful to watch. I missed Kane's goal as I took the opportunity to go and buy some frozen prawns. Such drab football.

No width, no runners getting in behind. All the opposite team needs to do is line up 2 banks of 4 knowing that England can't pass through that.

I went to the last two friendlies at Wembley. The Iceland game was like that. I guess the only positive is that the Belgium game before that was fast and open. Maybe when a team comes at England we'll see more of the attacking play we know they're capable of.

I think we do have width. What we don't have is cohesion. Look at spain and how every time they have it there are four or five players within a few yards ready for a pass. Our biggest problem is the gaps between all of our players. All standing miles away from one another, no options given. Every time we get it, Saka is on the touchline, Foden is usually on the touchline. The width is there, but the movement of the ball isn't quick enough because the gaps between players are so big.

Bare bones.

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 12:26 - Jul 1 with 770 viewsParkRoyalR

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 10:55 - Jul 1 by daveB

it's a bit of both. Kane said that long throw had been worked on but moments like that are individual brilliance like Beckham against Greece and Platt v Belgium.

The narrative has been written that if England win this it's despite Southgate and if we don't it's all down to him and I don't think anything that happens in the next 2 weeks will change that.

I don't think he's having a good tournament, the lack of changes yesterday was infuriating but we got away with it

Players like Stones, Foden, Walker, Bellingham, Kane, Saka all playing miles off their best but that goal yesterday shows why he has to stuck with most of them really and hope they come good.

One thing is for sure the players and manager are going to have to d a lot better to get through the next game as the Swiss look a miles better team than England at the moment

Lack of changes made no sense at all and he got away with it as you say,

One of many examples of his ineptness was moving Eze into LWB position when I think he still had 2 if not 3 Subs available (including Konsa) during that 1st Half in Extra-Time,

Ian Wright picked up on this weakness and I'm a big Eze fan but know he just cannot concentrate & defend that space and nearly got caught out twice, particularly when his man put it over the bar from 6 yards or so, then its penalties and its not looking so good,

Just another example of Southgate being caught in the headlights & just look at the pedigree of his coaching team, those boys are stealing a living,

Alright being Mr Do The Right Thing but actions speak louder than words and how Southgate can accept a salary of £ 4.9m beggars belief (and I like the bloke).

An already wealthy man from football and somehow thinks he's worth 10 times the salary of Sabrina Weigman or 20 times the salary of the PM? Just reminds me of a Trevor Brooking FA type who ticks all the boxes except one, being able to do the job.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 12:27 - Jul 1 with 761 viewskensalriser

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 11:46 - Jul 1 by Antti_Heinola

Agree -the moronic stuff is just that - moronic.

But also think Neville is right. This is not about us 'expecting' to win the tournament. I don't think many people 'expect' that - but we do have a right to expect better than those four games, which have all been at best sub par and at worst absolute rubbish. I've defended Southgate for years, but his refusal last night to use subs was bordering on stupidity. Watch Spain, a team not even fancied to win this tournament a fortnight ago, and how they react to being 2-1 up, 3-1 up: going forward, get the next goal. That's Marti's philosophy too. Even when we went 2-1 up last night, we just retreated, when we had them by the balls. I don't get it.

Spain look light years ahead of England. They move the ball accurately and rapidly and have two young, pacy, fearless wingers who love to get in behind. They did leave themselves open on the break v Georgia and conceded first as a result of that, but I never thought they wouldn't win. Still attacking in the final minutes at 4-1 up!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 12:30 - Jul 1 with 738 views1MoreBrightonR

im in Poland visiting my partners family and literally every person I've spoken to here about the Euros has said England are awful. the commentators on TV here were making fun of us, and I'm not exaggerating. This isn't about England fans expecting us to win, it's about us looking terrible, and as has been mentioned in a previous post, it's not just England fans who think that.
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 12:33 - Jul 1 with 728 viewsCamberleyR

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 12:26 - Jul 1 by ParkRoyalR

One of many examples of his ineptness was moving Eze into LWB position when I think he still had 2 if not 3 Subs available (including Konsa) during that 1st Half in Extra-Time,

Ian Wright picked up on this weakness and I'm a big Eze fan but know he just cannot concentrate & defend that space and nearly got caught out twice, particularly when his man put it over the bar from 6 yards or so, then its penalties and its not looking so good,

Just another example of Southgate being caught in the headlights & just look at the pedigree of his coaching team, those boys are stealing a living,

Alright being Mr Do The Right Thing but actions speak louder than words and how Southgate can accept a salary of £ 4.9m beggars belief (and I like the bloke).

An already wealthy man from football and somehow thinks he's worth 10 times the salary of Sabrina Weigman or 20 times the salary of the PM? Just reminds me of a Trevor Brooking FA type who ticks all the boxes except one, being able to do the job.

The 21st century's Ron Greenwood.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 12:39 - Jul 1 with 706 viewsAntti_Heinola

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 12:26 - Jul 1 by ParkRoyalR

Eze should never have been there, but on the contrary, he defended those two instances well, and did enough to put off the bloke for the big chance. Thought he played really well overall.

The stuff about what money he's on is meaningless. It's up to the FA what they pay Wiegman, not Southgate. What's the PM's salary got to do with the price of rice?

Brooking's root and branch restructuring of the game over a decade ago has meant us producing more technically sound players than at any point in the last 50 years.

Bare bones.

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 12:56 - Jul 1 with 621 viewsterryb

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 23:59 - Jun 30 by stowmarketrange

To be fair there weren’t round of 16 games to win in most of those previous 50 years,and that’s where a few of Southgate’s 7 wins have come from.

A lot of previous winners of the Euros haven’t had the same quality players that we have in this current squad,but Southgate needs to find a way to allow them to play as a team capable of actually winning something.

The 86 & 90 World Cups had rounds of 16 & we beat Paraquay & Belgium in them.

The difference is that Robson made major changes in those years after the group stage had been near disasters. Bringing Beardsley in to play alongside Lineker in 86 & changing to a back three with Parker playing in 90.

Southgate appears to me to be trying to accommodate his "star" players rather than finding a system that suits. Foden is not a wide left player, especially when we're not playing a left back, Bellingham & Kane have no understanding either.

Gomez must have been included in the squad as cover for left back & he has played more games in that position than anyone except Shaw, yet it's looking like he is about 5th choice for the role. 5th choice (or 6th) is what he was at Liverpool last season as a centre half!
England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 13:04 - Jul 1 with 561 viewsTheChef

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 12:56 - Jul 1 by terryb

The 86 & 90 World Cups had rounds of 16 & we beat Paraquay & Belgium in them.

The difference is that Robson made major changes in those years after the group stage had been near disasters. Bringing Beardsley in to play alongside Lineker in 86 & changing to a back three with Parker playing in 90.

Southgate appears to me to be trying to accommodate his "star" players rather than finding a system that suits. Foden is not a wide left player, especially when we're not playing a left back, Bellingham & Kane have no understanding either.

Gomez must have been included in the squad as cover for left back & he has played more games in that position than anyone except Shaw, yet it's looking like he is about 5th choice for the role. 5th choice (or 6th) is what he was at Liverpool last season as a centre half!

Having a squad of 26 inevitably means a good few players won't get a look in, but having played so poorly you'd think Southgate would mix things up more. I doubt that is helping too much with squad harmony, but who knows.

At the end of the day Brian it's a results business, etc. and the fact we're unbeaten going into the quarter finals means Southgate will feel vindicated in his team selection so far.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 13:19 - Jul 1 with 483 viewsnumptydumpty

England v Slovakia last 16 Match Thread on 07:03 - Jul 1 by SydneyRs

What I was saying about our fans only accepting winning in the final as acceptable for England under Southgate, I believe is totally valid.

If we lose in the final, our fans will be on Southgates back as general belief is that we have a generational talent throughout the attacking elements of our team and any success is on the players and with Southgate all reasons for failure are put totally on Southgate.

The current belief is if we are ever going to win a tournament that time is now

Southgate got no credit for reaching the semis of the World Cup and got even less credit for reaching the final in the Euros and only losing out on penalties.

We have reached the quarter yet again under him and all Sourhgate ever gets is criticism.

But in terms of where we have got to in tournaments is in the advanced stages always under him

Most other England managers, we didn't qualify from the group stages on occasions or we didn't qualify for the tournament stages at all.

But I have followed England throughout my life. Probably first one I knew much about was 1982 but we always expect to get to the final stages in recent times and the fans always think our players are super heroes and the country as a whole does always expect us to do very well and in nearly all circumstances, we massively underachieve!!

Whether it's Owen, Rooney, Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Gascoigne, Shearer, Waddle, Barnes, Lineker, Keegan, Robson, Wilkins, Hoddle.

Or Bellingham, Kane, Saka, Foden.

Think it's fair to say we do all think pre tournaments we expect success, given the players we have. Think that is always true and I think some younger players do completely freeze, understandably under the burden of expectation. Very different to pressures performing at club level.

I am not a fan of defensive football but whatever Southgates faults are such as predictable and dull on occasions, we do always somehow achieve and whether he is the luckiest manager alive or not.

And whatever is said pre tournament, we do always expect and can't see that has ever been any different. Ie we as a general fanbase for England always rate our players and our team way above what we achieve.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024