Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Euros Match Fred 15:58 - Jun 19 with 13762 viewsBrianMcCarthy

An as it happens fred for all games.

Spoiler alerts.

Absolute belter between Albania and Croatia. Savage game!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Euros Match Fred on 22:42 - Jun 23 with 1957 viewsKiko

Euros Match Fred on 22:38 - Jun 23 by Ned_Kennedys

Scotland have been woeful in front of goal in every game.

Weirdly Lyndon’s value (and importance to Scotland) has risen with him missing the tournament.

I think the penalty wasn't given because Armstrong was offside.
[Post edited 23 Jun 22:43]
Euros Match Fred on 22:42 - Jun 23 with 1954 viewsWatford_Ranger

Euros Match Fred on 22:22 - Jun 23 by stevec

Too many teams.

There’s some absolute crap in this tournament and that’s without including us. The concept that Scotland could have gone through with 2 points if they’d hung on sums it up.

It almost always means teams are in it until the last game though. The likes of Albania (won their group anyway) and Georgia have been the best thing about this tournament so far.
Euros Match Fred on 22:55 - Jun 23 with 1889 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Has that poor geezer got to walk back after that?
Euros Match Fred on 23:01 - Jun 23 with 1854 viewsGroveR

Euros Match Fred on 21:34 - Jun 23 by stainrods_elbow

On a crucial linguistic note, could someone in the know kindly explain the precise diacritical transformation exerted by a marker of the kind 'Åge'?

Well, Stainrod, as the self-appointed keeper of this board's prosodic structure of lexical words and the assignment of stress, I'm delighted you've asked the question.

Å is a village in Moskenesøya, Norway but you can recreate this sound by thinking of the noise one makes when Dave Agyemang was bearing down on goal outside of one of his hot goalscoring streaks for QPR (hint: there was one). It starts in the chest as "AwwwwwWWWWW..." and typically ends in the crushing disappointment of "you fùcking useless cùnt" or words to that effect. Omit the bit about him being a cùnt.

AwwwwwWWWWWge! (you fùcking useless cùnt).
Euros Match Fred on 00:32 - Jun 24 with 1726 viewsbob566

Euros Match Fred on 22:18 - Jun 23 by komradkirk

Scotland are a squad of bad players . Our Lyndon is probably their best player.

Bit harsh on Andy Robertson
Euros Match Fred on 01:36 - Jun 24 with 1694 viewsstrikerace

i bet 99% of Scotlands completed passes were back towards their own goal. I have never seen a less aggressive, more defensive midfield.
Euros Match Fred on 06:48 - Jun 24 with 1576 viewsnumptydumpty

Scotland were unlucky

The penalty at the very least required VAR to assess - that didn't happen !!

But as VAR used so randomly, this was one of the cases where it was necessary - get rid !!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Euros Match Fred on 07:34 - Jun 24 with 1484 viewsPaddyhoops

Euros Match Fred on 06:48 - Jun 24 by numptydumpty

Scotland were unlucky

The penalty at the very least required VAR to assess - that didn't happen !!

But as VAR used so randomly, this was one of the cases where it was necessary - get rid !!

Stonewall penalty. Dreadful from the officials all round .
Login to get fewer ads

Euros Match Fred on 09:26 - Jun 24 with 1382 viewsTheChef

Euros Match Fred on 22:22 - Jun 23 by stevec

Too many teams.

There’s some absolute crap in this tournament and that’s without including us. The concept that Scotland could have gone through with 2 points if they’d hung on sums it up.

I usually disagree with expanding tournaments but I think 24 teams works well, as by having the carrot of qualifying via 3rd place, it means there's still interest going into the last round of group games.

And I think other than last night (and arguably the England games) all the games have been great so far. More please.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Euros Match Fred on 10:15 - Jun 24 with 1297 viewslondonscottish

F8kcs sake Scotland are a hard watch. 100 minutes without a single shot on goal.

Reminded me of standing on the terraces at Elland Road watching Ainsworth's Rangers achieve the square root of f8ck all.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Euros Match Fred on 10:27 - Jun 24 with 1257 viewsMrSheen

Euros Match Fred on 22:42 - Jun 23 by Kiko

Watching it again this morning I think you were right. It’s strange that the ref couldn’t make that clear by giving a free kick. One of the technicalities around VAR referrals or a desire to keep the game moving?
Euros Match Fred on 10:28 - Jun 24 with 1252 viewsdaveB

Euros Match Fred on 09:26 - Jun 24 by TheChef

I usually disagree with expanding tournaments but I think 24 teams works well, as by having the carrot of qualifying via 3rd place, it means there's still interest going into the last round of group games.

And I think other than last night (and arguably the England games) all the games have been great so far. More please.

Yeah the fact the smaller teams have a realistic chance of getting through keeps all the groups alive until the final game,. The old format was brutally good from the start but this new one gives teams an opportunity to play in these tournaments that they would not normally get.

As you say bar the England and Scotland games it's been a really good tournament so far
Euros Match Fred on 11:53 - Jun 24 with 1158 viewsEsox_Lucius

Perhaps only countries who have won the Euros or world cup in the last 50 years should be allowed to enter, thus keeping the no hopers out and making for a far better footballing spectacle.

The grass is always greener.

Euros Match Fred on 11:56 - Jun 24 with 1126 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Euros Match Fred on 11:53 - Jun 24 by Esox_Lucius

Perhaps only countries who have won the Euros or world cup in the last 50 years should be allowed to enter, thus keeping the no hopers out and making for a far better footballing spectacle.

To save further time and costs, we could just award the competition to the side that has the best FIFA ratings.
Euros Match Fred on 12:18 - Jun 24 with 1071 viewsJuzzie

Euros Match Fred on 11:56 - Jun 24 by BazzaInTheLoft

To save further time and costs, we could just award the competition to the side that has the best FIFA ratings.

Just give it to Leeds.....
Euros Match Fred on 12:30 - Jun 24 with 1022 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Euros Match Fred on 11:53 - Jun 24 by Esox_Lucius

Made me chuckle. Subtle.

Euros Match Fred on 13:12 - Jun 24 with 935 viewsTheChef

Euros Match Fred on 21:32 - Jun 23 by bosh67

He appears to land on smack his head on the ground really hard. He may have swallowed his tongue in the process but very angry how long it took to get the stretcher on. They were dawdling.

Yeah I was quite surprised how long it took for the Hungary physios to call for extra assistance, the guy was clearly in distress.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Euros Match Fred on 13:39 - Jun 24 with 889 viewsR_from_afar

Euros Match Fred on 22:42 - Jun 23 by Kiko

Interesting, I didn't realise that. I've seen the incident three times:

1st time (real time): Thought it had to be a pen
2nd time (replay): Noticed the Scottish player pulling his opponent's shirt as they wrestled with each other, thought it in fact wasn't a pen
3rd time (replay with input from the pundits): Noticed the Hungarian player's knee make solid contact with the Scot's leg. Thought it was a pen.

It's all immaterial now but I was very surprised that such a tight call was, as far as I could tell, left entirely to the on-field officials.

It was a close game, with a lack of quality on both sides - the final balls were really poor - but I enjoyed it because it was cagey and tense, with both sides trying to stay defensively solid. Scotland are sooo lacking in firepower.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Euros Match Fred on 14:02 - Jun 24 with 853 viewsCamberleyR

Euros Match Fred on 22:31 - Jun 23 by daveB

It's how the World Cup used to be in 86 and 90 before they changed it

Has certainly added some excitement to the final game

1994 as well. Changed to 32 for the next one.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Euros Match Fred on 14:17 - Jun 24 with 783 viewsLongRanger

Its been a good tournament, but I don't like the 3rd place option, it adds an unnecessary round. Personally, I prefer 16 teams, 4 groups of 4 and top 2 qualify for Q/F...but also think there should also be a 'Euro Shield' competition on at the same time, run in another country, with games played at different times of day, so they don't compete for tv audiences, that includes the next 16 teams from the qualifiers. That helps the developing countries experience tournament football, in a more competitive way and I'd award the winner an automatic place in the Euro Championships 4 years later. This would keep the main tournament very competitive but also help develop the next 16 countries and offer a great incentive for winning it.

Portugal won it in 2016 having finished 3rd in their group and didn't win a single game in 90mins in the tournament, so it also offers the favourites a back door if they start slow, which is a nonsense in my opinion.
Euros Match Fred on 15:04 - Jun 24 with 687 viewsJuzzie

Euros Match Fred on 14:17 - Jun 24 by LongRanger

Its been a good tournament, but I don't like the 3rd place option, it adds an unnecessary round. Personally, I prefer 16 teams, 4 groups of 4 and top 2 qualify for Q/F...but also think there should also be a 'Euro Shield' competition on at the same time, run in another country, with games played at different times of day, so they don't compete for tv audiences, that includes the next 16 teams from the qualifiers. That helps the developing countries experience tournament football, in a more competitive way and I'd award the winner an automatic place in the Euro Championships 4 years later. This would keep the main tournament very competitive but also help develop the next 16 countries and offer a great incentive for winning it.

Portugal won it in 2016 having finished 3rd in their group and didn't win a single game in 90mins in the tournament, so it also offers the favourites a back door if they start slow, which is a nonsense in my opinion.

I like the idea of a shield thingy.

When my son has his tournaments (ages from 7-11, he's U9 at the moment) they usually have groups of six teams.

After they play each other once, the top two go through to the 'Gold cup' knockout, the middle two go through to the 'Plate' knockout and the bottom two either go through to a 'paper mache' (I made that up) cup or are eliminated altogether depending on the host club and what resources they have to hand.

It's good because it gives everyone a chance to proceed and gain experience (or even win) in a knock-out situation.

Over the last three years, my sons team have experienced everything..... bottom two and out altogether, middle two and progression to the plate cup (got to the 1/4 finals on a couple of occasions) and just the other week they finished second in their group but went out at the next stage but it's all good experience as they're pushing to higher levels each time.

It would be nice to see the so-called minnows in International football get a chance at this.
Euros Match Fred on 15:10 - Jun 24 with 652 viewsMrSheen

Euros Match Fred on 15:04 - Jun 24 by Juzzie

I like the idea of a shield thingy.

When my son has his tournaments (ages from 7-11, he's U9 at the moment) they usually have groups of six teams.

After they play each other once, the top two go through to the 'Gold cup' knockout, the middle two go through to the 'Plate' knockout and the bottom two either go through to a 'paper mache' (I made that up) cup or are eliminated altogether depending on the host club and what resources they have to hand.

It's good because it gives everyone a chance to proceed and gain experience (or even win) in a knock-out situation.

Over the last three years, my sons team have experienced everything..... bottom two and out altogether, middle two and progression to the plate cup (got to the 1/4 finals on a couple of occasions) and just the other week they finished second in their group but went out at the next stage but it's all good experience as they're pushing to higher levels each time.

It would be nice to see the so-called minnows in International football get a chance at this.

Isn't this the point of the Nations League? Gives a chance for teams to play at their level and give fans more competitive games to watch. Good idea, as long as it's taken seriously, which is questionable given the workload on players.
Euros Match Fred on 19:58 - Jun 24 with 528 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Who's watching what tonight?

I'm going to start on Croatia v Italy, I think.

Euros Match Fred on 20:24 - Jun 24 with 483 viewskensalriser

Euros Match Fred on 19:58 - Jun 24 by BrianMcCarthy

Who's watching what tonight?

I'm going to start on Croatia v Italy, I think.

Albania Spain for me. Croatia Italy too much potential for a bore fest.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Euros Match Fred on 20:46 - Jun 24 with 439 viewsMrSheen

Euros Match Fred on 20:24 - Jun 24 by kensalriser

Albania Spain for me. Croatia Italy too much potential for a bore fest.

Spain look so comfortable and slick, the best by far. At least there’s a few weeks for the rest to find some form.
[Post edited 24 Jun 20:47]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024