Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guitar playing thread 13:58 - Jan 19 with 35095 viewsBluce_Ree

*Now includes bassists*

I know there's a few of us on here. Would be interesting to know what you're up to (as opposed to this just being a lot of youtube vids of good guitarists).

What guitars do you have? What style do you play? How do you practice?
[Post edited 19 Jan 2023 14:30]

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Guitar playing thread on 20:09 - Oct 13 with 1003 viewsted_hendrix

Hope the link thingy works, check It out.
https://www.bonhams.com/auction/30318/the-rory-gallagher-collection/

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Guitar playing thread on 20:15 - Oct 13 with 987 viewsMick_S

Guitar playing thread on 20:09 - Oct 13 by ted_hendrix

Hope the link thingy works, check It out.
https://www.bonhams.com/auction/30318/the-rory-gallagher-collection/

Yeah, working Ted. What are the chances of the prices being met, do you think? Fascinating stuff.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Guitar playing thread on 20:38 - Oct 13 with 943 viewsted_hendrix

Guitar playing thread on 20:15 - Oct 13 by Mick_S

Yeah, working Ted. What are the chances of the prices being met, do you think? Fascinating stuff.

I reckon the estimates will be surpassed, I went to and bid on a few Items at the The John Entwistle Collection — Auction back In 2003 and bid on a fair few Items without any luck.
I go to a quarterly held auction https://www.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/ and I've bought a few things over the years but you've got to be very careful, at the price the Item sells (Hammer) there Is 20% VAT plus sellers commission 17.5 %.

Internet bidders go a bit mental bidding especially foreign collectors.

Guitar playing thread on 20:45 - Oct 13 with 936 viewscolinallcars

Think I may have mentioned this before - donkey's years back, I bought an acoustic guitar which they said once belonged to Lonnie Donegan, which as everyone knows is the old Roman word for London.
Guitar playing thread on 11:39 - Oct 14 with 832 viewsjohncharles

Guitar playing thread on 20:15 - Oct 13 by Mick_S

Peanuts ! Just about everything will exceed those prices. God knows how much the Strat will go for.
God will probably buy it for himself.
Seriously though, an AC30 owned and used by Rory Gallagher for a few grand ? Peanuts

I’m thinking of bidding for a couple myself but I’d lose the lot in the ensuing divorce 🤣

Strong and stable my arse.

Guitar playing thread on 11:44 - Oct 14 with 816 viewsnick_hammersmith

I followed these very closely!
https://bid.juliensauctions.com/auctions/catalog/id/326
https://bid.juliensauctions.com/auctions/catalog/id/312?page=20&items=12&view=gr

Loads of boutique stuff in those, I like Danocasters;
https://bid.juliensauctions.com/auctions/catalog/id/312?page=1&view=grid&items=1

He only makes a small amount, and there is a massive wait list, so these prices were not too bad.

I think the Auction house also rinse you with shipping costs
Guitar playing thread on 12:29 - Oct 14 with 792 viewsBluce_Ree

Guitar playing thread on 10:55 - Oct 2 by nick_hammersmith

They can add weight to a guitar, and make a string change a bit more fiddly, with the chances of scratching the finish while threading a new string in.
--I think you can use a block to help with this, I've seen people use a bit of painters tape to hold it in place.

As long as the nut is well cut and lubricated I don't think tuning is an issue

I've got a bit of milestone bday cash to spend on myself as a Gretsch feels like a good choice but I'm definitely going to have to pick up a few first before I commit.

The idea of faffing with tape puts me off a bit!

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Guitar playing thread on 15:30 - Oct 14 with 718 viewsnick_hammersmith

Guitar playing thread on 12:29 - Oct 14 by Bluce_Ree

I've got a bit of milestone bday cash to spend on myself as a Gretsch feels like a good choice but I'm definitely going to have to pick up a few first before I commit.

The idea of faffing with tape puts me off a bit!

I've seen others use a small wedge, that looked pretty easy...
How often are you changing strings, mine last ages these days?
Login to get fewer ads

Guitar playing thread on 17:19 - Oct 15 with 588 viewsBluce_Ree

Guitar playing thread on 15:30 - Oct 14 by nick_hammersmith

I've seen others use a small wedge, that looked pretty easy...
How often are you changing strings, mine last ages these days?

A lot less often than when I was in a band that's for sure. I used to play more, and louder. My style of playing meant a lot of broken low E strings (it's the reason I started tuning to E flat). But these days my strings don't break.

Went to two guitar shops today. Tried a very gorgeous looking two-tone green Gretsch (with a Bigsby). I liked the feel of the Bigsby. The bulk of the body and the feel of the neck were okay but I wasn't vibing with the guitar. Also it didn't have very clear fret markers so I was finding it a bit awkward. Which is odd as I play a lot unplugged while watching films. Something was just off.

I tried another Gretsch (no trem) and it played great, but looked ugly.

Then I tried an Epiphone 335 with a Bigsby on it and it was okay but the body was so bottom heavy that I felt like I was trying to keep it on my lap.

In the end I fked the whole thing off.

Guitar playing thread on 13:48 - Oct 16 with 519 viewsnick_hammersmith

Guitar playing thread on 17:19 - Oct 15 by Bluce_Ree

A lot less often than when I was in a band that's for sure. I used to play more, and louder. My style of playing meant a lot of broken low E strings (it's the reason I started tuning to E flat). But these days my strings don't break.

Went to two guitar shops today. Tried a very gorgeous looking two-tone green Gretsch (with a Bigsby). I liked the feel of the Bigsby. The bulk of the body and the feel of the neck were okay but I wasn't vibing with the guitar. Also it didn't have very clear fret markers so I was finding it a bit awkward. Which is odd as I play a lot unplugged while watching films. Something was just off.

I tried another Gretsch (no trem) and it played great, but looked ugly.

Then I tried an Epiphone 335 with a Bigsby on it and it was okay but the body was so bottom heavy that I felt like I was trying to keep it on my lap.

In the end I fked the whole thing off.

They did something like a 336, which had a smaller body.
You might only be able to get them second hand now...
Guitar playing thread on 15:53 - Oct 17 with 408 viewsjohncharles

Guitar playing thread on 11:39 - Oct 14 by johncharles

Peanuts ! Just about everything will exceed those prices. God knows how much the Strat will go for.
God will probably buy it for himself.
Seriously though, an AC30 owned and used by Rory Gallagher for a few grand ? Peanuts

I’m thinking of bidding for a couple myself but I’d lose the lot in the ensuing divorce 🤣

The Silvertone has just gone for £6000 !

Guitar playing thread on 16:52 - Oct 17 with 374 viewsted_hendrix

1963 Gretsch Corvette Electric Guitar £20K.

I'm online waiting for lot 61.

Guitar playing thread on 19:14 - Oct 17 with 339 viewsted_hendrix

Good news for the people of Cork Is that his Stratocaster Is returning to his hometown.

Guitar playing thread on 21:03 - Oct 17 with 306 viewsjohncharles

Guitar playing thread on 19:14 - Oct 17 by ted_hendrix

Good news for the people of Cork Is that his Stratocaster Is returning to his hometown.

It looks like some big buyers held back on the strat. Good for them. The other items went for some phenomenal prices 😃

Guitar playing thread on 15:08 - Oct 18 with 234 viewsSonofpugwash

Rory's Strat went for $1.1M(including buyer's premium.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Guitar playing thread on 11:31 - Oct 21 with 99 viewsSonofpugwash

A superb guitarists' album....

[Post edited 21 Oct 11:32]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024