Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oliver Ntcham 11:57 - Aug 31 with 24358 viewsChief

Surely he'd want a decent signing on fee and hefty wages?

Is this something we'd actually go for?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Oliver Ntcham on 14:55 - Sep 1 with 1877 viewslondonlisa2001

Oliver Ntcham on 14:45 - Sep 1 by Dr_Winston

His relationship with Mark Allen will be important too. Man City Academy Director at the same time he was in it.

Where he plays will probably be fluid depending upon fitness/formation. If we assume that Grimes will hold onto the DM role, then that leaves him competing with Downes, Smith, Walsh, Paterson and maybe even Dan Williams for two slots.

That’s the problem with the window though.

We’ve an unbalanced squad now, as we failed to get rid of Grimes to free up budget for creativity and/ or pace.

When we open our wardrobe we have twenty pairs of trousers and two tops.

Better hope one of the tops doesn’t get a tear in it…
Oliver Ntcham on 15:04 - Sep 1 with 1836 viewsjasper_T

Oliver Ntcham on 14:55 - Sep 1 by londonlisa2001

That’s the problem with the window though.

We’ve an unbalanced squad now, as we failed to get rid of Grimes to free up budget for creativity and/ or pace.

When we open our wardrobe we have twenty pairs of trousers and two tops.

Better hope one of the tops doesn’t get a tear in it…

We needed a 10 and a left-sided centre half, and probably an upgrade at left wing back.

We got a right-sided centre half (Cabango, Cooper, Naughton), a wide striker like one we just sold because he supposedly doesn't fit in the system, and another 8 in midfield (Fulton, Smith, Walsh, Williams).

And lost a wingback who would have allowed Laird to move to the left (where he had played for Martin with MK Dons at times).
Oliver Ntcham on 15:32 - Sep 1 with 1767 viewslondonlisa2001

Oliver Ntcham on 15:04 - Sep 1 by jasper_T

We needed a 10 and a left-sided centre half, and probably an upgrade at left wing back.

We got a right-sided centre half (Cabango, Cooper, Naughton), a wide striker like one we just sold because he supposedly doesn't fit in the system, and another 8 in midfield (Fulton, Smith, Walsh, Williams).

And lost a wingback who would have allowed Laird to move to the left (where he had played for Martin with MK Dons at times).

Couldn’t agree more.

It’s baffling.

We’ve also left ourselves completely unable to change shape if needed (a plan B) as almost all our players are exactly the same.

I’d also say we needed another number 9. Obafemi has taken the number but not sure he’s a number 9. No idea whether he could be.

If we are playing two up top and Piroe for example gets injured for any time what on earth are we going to do?

Edited to add: the issue at number 8 is why I can only assume the plan is to play Ntcham at 10. He did in his early days at Genoa.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2021 15:34]
Oliver Ntcham on 15:59 - Sep 1 with 1718 viewsjack247

Oliver Ntcham on 15:32 - Sep 1 by londonlisa2001

Couldn’t agree more.

It’s baffling.

We’ve also left ourselves completely unable to change shape if needed (a plan B) as almost all our players are exactly the same.

I’d also say we needed another number 9. Obafemi has taken the number but not sure he’s a number 9. No idea whether he could be.

If we are playing two up top and Piroe for example gets injured for any time what on earth are we going to do?

Edited to add: the issue at number 8 is why I can only assume the plan is to play Ntcham at 10. He did in his early days at Genoa.

Maybe the cup final team is a front 5 of

Piroe

Obafemi Paterson Laird

Ntcham

With Grimes and Downes in front of the back three. Based mainly on the assumptions Martin will start his own signings when he can and that if Obafemi was a club signing, he was at least happy to trade him for Lowe.

If not, it’s Piroe behind Obafemi or Ntcham behind either of them. I don’t know where that would leave us on the left though.
Oliver Ntcham on 16:05 - Sep 1 with 1703 viewsjackrabbit

Oliver Ntcham on 12:52 - Aug 31 by jackrmee

Really?!
This is the most exciting news of the day for me.

Me too.
Oliver Ntcham on 16:13 - Sep 1 with 1680 viewsswan_si

Oliver Ntcham on 15:59 - Sep 1 by jack247

Piroe

Obafemi Paterson Laird

Ntcham

With Grimes and Downes in front of the back three. Based mainly on the assumptions Martin will start his own signings when he can and that if Obafemi was a club signing, he was at least happy to trade him for Lowe.

If not, it’s Piroe behind Obafemi or Ntcham behind either of them. I don’t know where that would leave us on the left though.

Would have to be the FA cup final, Obafemi's Cup tied, he played for Southampton against Newport.
Oliver Ntcham on 16:21 - Sep 1 with 1661 viewslondonlisa2001

Oliver Ntcham on 15:59 - Sep 1 by jack247

Piroe

Obafemi Paterson Laird

Ntcham

Obafemi as left wing back?

Hmmm.
Oliver Ntcham on 16:28 - Sep 1 with 1645 viewsjack247

Oliver Ntcham on 16:21 - Sep 1 by londonlisa2001

Obafemi as left wing back?

Hmmm.

They aren’t wingbacks though are they? They are level with the striker a lot of the time and have negligible defensive responsibility.

All the defending seems to come from the back three and two in front of them.
Login to get fewer ads

Oliver Ntcham on 16:39 - Sep 1 with 1622 viewsvetchonian

Couldn’t agree more.

It’s baffling.

Martin has already stated he doesnt believe in a plan B so no need to worry there!

BUt as you and Jasper point out on the face of things it makes you wonder about the thinking of these new signings in relation to what was in place

Time will tell

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Oliver Ntcham on 16:53 - Sep 1 with 1582 viewsjackrmee

Couldn’t agree more.

It’s baffling.

Piroe is a 9 by the looks of it

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Oliver Ntcham on 16:59 - Sep 1 with 1570 viewslondonlisa2001

Oliver Ntcham on 16:28 - Sep 1 by jack247

They aren’t wingbacks though are they? They are level with the striker a lot of the time and have negligible defensive responsibility.

All the defending seems to come from the back three and two in front of them.

Unfortunately that’s a problem though. As the defending to date is shambolic and we are massively exposed out wide. When the centre backs move out to cover we are wide open in the middle as the midfield isn’t right.

It’s an interesting formation. I don’t like it btw. But that’s my opinion. I think by definition you swap a midfielder for a centre back and most don’t have the same ball playing ability and you also end up with width in the wrong place. It gives the holding midfielder too few options other than through the middle or a long ball out to the wings which is invariably under or over hit. The reason it works at the top level is the pace of the wing back / wings to get up and down all game and also the ability of the centre backs and central midfield to thread the ball and to find gaps and get between the lines. With lesser players I prefer a 451. The full backs have always two options - into the holding midfielder or up the flanks in front of them. Also the holding midfielder has 3 positive options - through the middle, out to the side behind or out to the side in front. The pass back t9 centre backs is only a last resort.
Oliver Ntcham on 17:03 - Sep 1 with 1562 viewsvetchonian

Oliver Ntcham on 16:59 - Sep 1 by londonlisa2001

Unfortunately that’s a problem though. As the defending to date is shambolic and we are massively exposed out wide. When the centre backs move out to cover we are wide open in the middle as the midfield isn’t right.

It’s an interesting formation. I don’t like it btw. But that’s my opinion. I think by definition you swap a midfielder for a centre back and most don’t have the same ball playing ability and you also end up with width in the wrong place. It gives the holding midfielder too few options other than through the middle or a long ball out to the wings which is invariably under or over hit. The reason it works at the top level is the pace of the wing back / wings to get up and down all game and also the ability of the centre backs and central midfield to thread the ball and to find gaps and get between the lines. With lesser players I prefer a 451. The full backs have always two options - into the holding midfielder or up the flanks in front of them. Also the holding midfielder has 3 positive options - through the middle, out to the side behind or out to the side in front. The pass back t9 centre backs is only a last resort.

or maybe a 4-3-2-1
What you are describing Lisa is how we played under Martinez , then Brendan and to a degree Luadrup though he relied on Mich bursting through the middle

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Oliver Ntcham on 17:48 - Sep 1 with 1484 viewsjackrmee

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Oliver Ntcham on 17:58 - Sep 1 with 1448 viewsmax936

Oliver Ntcham on 17:48 - Sep 1 by jackrmee

He was a beast for Celtic, don't know what's happened to him since though.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Oliver Ntcham on 18:04 - Sep 1 with 1412 viewsReslovenSwan1

Oliver Ntcham on 17:58 - Sep 1 by max936

He was a beast for Celtic, don't know what's happened to him since though.

A touch of the Jonjo Shelvey's about him if you ask me from the clips. (formerly of this parish) . Same valuations when on song. Celtic turned down 15m euros from Porto only a couple of years ago.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Oliver Ntcham on 19:02 - Sep 1 with 1310 viewsjack247

Fully agree with that. I don’t like it either. If we are going to persevere with it though, I don’t see the issue in playing a Lowe type striker out wide. If we’re going to play a less extravagant system, then I guess Bidwell is the best option.

I can see how it should work, but you need at least one if not two capable holding midfielders and more options for them from the wide players. With the Britton and Allen of 10 years ago, it could be very effective.

As it stands, we can’t move the ball on from there because they are under pressure and their only real options are each other or to go back. Assuming I’ve understood how it’s supposed to work, the back three and keeper should only really have to play short triangles around attackers until they get the ball to a holding midfielder. From there it should go forward. It’s not at the moment and I believe that’s our biggest problem.

Obviously the lack of possession out wide and in the final third are issues too, but they stem from that.
Oliver Ntcham on 19:41 - Sep 1 with 1254 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Oliver Ntcham on 18:04 - Sep 1 by ReslovenSwan1

A touch of the Jonjo Shelvey's about him if you ask me from the clips. (formerly of this parish) . Same valuations when on song. Celtic turned down 15m euros from Porto only a couple of years ago.

I’d agree with that. Definitely no Fer/Agustien laid back type. If we can get him fired up like that, collecting the ball off Downes and either clipping the long pass or running through - in this division he’ll be a big hit. Very impressive clip indeed - another player whose type we’ve desperately needed for a long time. Proof of the pudding is when he gets that white shirt on and gets to work for us

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Oliver Ntcham on 19:47 - Sep 1 with 1238 viewsjack247

Oliver Ntcham on 19:41 - Sep 1 by Brynmill_Jack

I’d agree with that. Definitely no Fer/Agustien laid back type. If we can get him fired up like that, collecting the ball off Downes and either clipping the long pass or running through - in this division he’ll be a big hit. Very impressive clip indeed - another player whose type we’ve desperately needed for a long time. Proof of the pudding is when he gets that white shirt on and gets to work for us

I agree. It’s easy to get swayed by highlight videos, but I definitely bought into that one. Composure as well as power. Got a finish on him and some lovely long passes.
Oliver Ntcham on 20:01 - Sep 1 with 1200 viewsguthrieintherain

Oliver Ntcham on 16:13 - Sep 1 by swan_si

Would have to be the FA cup final, Obafemi's Cup tied, he played for Southampton against Newport.

Or a play off final.

Never know might get a shot on target next time.

Poll: What will happen with Morgan Whittaker

Oliver Ntcham on 20:10 - Sep 1 with 1186 viewsdobjack2

It’s the formation he used at MK Dons.

One thing I noticed with them was that the holding midfielders picked up a heck of a lot of bookings. On fans forums it was suggested that they often took one for the team after the ball had been given away in a dangerous area with the centre backs out of position.
Oliver Ntcham on 20:17 - Sep 1 with 1176 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Oliver Ntcham on 20:01 - Sep 1 by guthrieintherain

Or a play off final.

Never know might get a shot on target next time.

As bad as some have thought our window has been - in just three or 4 games Piroe has shown real accuracy and intent on front of goal. Ntcham seems to be similarly aggressive player and if Obafemi is the same we will have a lot more shots on goal this season. Such a shame Downes got Covid, he would have been up to speed and firing for us now.

Oliver Ntcham on 20:28 - Sep 1 with 1148 viewsjack247

Oliver Ntcham on 20:10 - Sep 1 by dobjack2

It’s the formation he used at MK Dons.

One thing I noticed with them was that the holding midfielders picked up a heck of a lot of bookings. On fans forums it was suggested that they often took one for the team after the ball had been given away in a dangerous area with the centre backs out of position.

No major issue with that. Leon used to do it a lot when we had men forward and teams broke.
Oliver Ntcham on 20:37 - Sep 1 with 1134 viewsmax936

Oliver Ntcham on 17:48 - Sep 1 by jackrmee

Impressive

Oliver Ntcham on 20:43 - Sep 1 with 1107 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Oliver Ntcham on 20:37 - Sep 1 by max936

Impressive

Looks much more of a player than Fer did. Hope he can replicate this form for us - if he does he’ll feed Piroe and Obafemi consistently as well as get a good few himself.

Oliver Ntcham on 20:48 - Sep 1 with 1089 viewsmax936

Oliver Ntcham on 20:43 - Sep 1 by Brynmill_Jack

Looks much more of a player than Fer did. Hope he can replicate this form for us - if he does he’ll feed Piroe and Obafemi consistently as well as get a good few himself.

Looks that way, although he probably won't get that much room in the Championship that often, clever player, I've seen him play for Celtic on the Tele and he's always impressed me, hope that continues, hopefully he'll get that form back, think it'll take him a while though.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024